Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Breakdown of Miami WR Phillip Dorsett

455386582.0.jpg

Size: 5'10" 185 lbs. Dorsett is your prototypical small, deep threat WR. Despite that, he possesses just above average hand-size. Not much to say here. Dorsett is a small player (2/5)

Athleticism: Dorsett has elite, game-breaking straight-line speed. Of all the wide-receivers I've watched this year, Dorsett is by far the fastest. There's 4.3 speed, and then there's legit 4.3 speed. Dorsett has the latter. He also has very good lateral agility and change of direction ability (6.70 3-cone and 4.11 shuttle run, which put's him in the 84th and 75th percentile respectively in each drill). He has good, not great leaping ability. Explodes off the line with a free-release. You can see how his speed opens it up for other receivers on the field. Corners have to give up large cushions to avoid getting beat deep. (9/10)

Hands: Dorsett is a natural hands-catcher. Doesn't let many balls into his chest. He only dropped 1 pass on 37 catchable targets last season (via PFF). Dorsett's hands are as reliable as anyone's in this class A problem I see with Dorsett is that he doesn't have particularity powerful hands, and that allows the DBs to come in and separate him from the ball. (9/10)

Routes: Dorsett ran a very limited route tree at Miami. Wasn't asked to do anything particularly challenging. Used as a pure deep threat mostly (40 of his 69 targets were deep balls), so he'll likely have some growing pains as he tries to master more advanced route combinations at the next level (in particular Pep Hamilton's complicated playbook). As for his actual route-running, I didn't see anything to be worried about. The routes he did run, he ran ok. Pretty robotic in his moments with very little nuance. Needs a little more development on the comeback route (could dominate if he mastered it with the cushions corners give him). Gets open with pure speed more often than he does in his route-running, (6/10)

​Physicality: Given Dorsett's size, you can pretty much guess that he isn't the most physical WR in the draft. He every much struggles when he's pressed at the line and gets rode to the boundary way too much for my liking. Corners have shown that they can separate him from the ball at the catch-point. He's not going to win many 50-50 jump balls and by extension won't be a big red-zone threat. Doesn't shy away from contact as a runner and is even slippery breaking tackles every once in a while. (4/10)

Body Control/Adjustment Ability: Dorsett shows off fantastic body-control and ability to adjust to poorly thrown balls. He had to learn to do that with how horrible his QB play was last season (seriously, his QB play was so awful). His ability to track the deep ball and adjust his body accordingly is really only rivaled by Devin Smith IMO. (8/10)

Elusiveness: Dorsett is a shifty runner with some solid elusiveness to his game. He's not Percy Harvin, but he puts himself in good position to juke defenders and slide out of tackles. I don't expect him to be some dominant YAC receiver in the league, but I see no reason he couldn't put up very good YAC numbers in a vertical offense like Pep Hamilton's. Dorsett isn't a quick-twitch player. (7/10)

Run Blocking: Dorsett does a good job putting himself in the way of blockers, but doesn't do much otherwise. Very small and not particularity strong. Dorsett won't be putting many DBs in the dirt. (2/5) 

GIFs: 

Destroys Ronald Darby: http://zippy.gfycat.com/DistantConsiderateImperatorangel.webm

YAC: http://zippy.gfycat.com/SillyFittingCony.webm

Only drop of the season (I think): http://zippy.gfycat.com/AngryHeartfeltGoldenretriever.webm

Finds the soft spot in the zone: http://zippy.gfycat.com/VacantCompleteIberianmidwifetoad.webm

YAC 2: http://zippy.gfycat.com/InfiniteHugeAardwolf.webm

Pulls up and scores: http://zippy.gfycat.com/BossyCarefreeBrownbutterfly.webm

Conclusion: 

47 out of 70. Which values him as a high 2nd-round pick. 

Dorsett is basically a dead-ringer for T.Y. Hilton. It's the most widespread comparison, and I think it's valid. Dorsett is built a little better, and is more shifty after the catch, but they're very comparable otherwise. Dorsett will carve out a niche as a dangerous deep threat in a vertical offense. 

NFL Comparisons:

T.Y. Hilton, IND

Desean Jackson, WAS

"47 out of 70. Which values him as a high 2nd-round pick." So even you believe based on your final conclusion that Dorsett was a mistake [where INDY took him I mean.] 

Dustin, I respect your football I.Q. tell me honestly...Is Phillip's speed on special teams enough to warrant spending a 1st rounder on him? Would you have made this move as GM? If not, who would you have gone after or pursued last night? 

I just frown on using 1st round pick on a surplus position unless the player can fill another glaring vacancy on our roster. 

"47 out of 70. Which values him as a high 2nd-round pick." So even you believe based on your final conclusion that Dorsett was a mistake [where INDY took him I mean.] 

Not at all. The difference between 29 and a high-2nd in minimal. I actually had him being drafted higher (I think I had him going to Houston at 16).

Dustin, I respect your football I.Q. tell me honestly...Is Phillip's speed on special teams enough to warrant spending a 1st rounder on him? Would you have made this move as GM? If not, who would you have gone after or pursued last night? 

I just frown on using 1st round pick on a surplus position unless the player can fill another glaring vacancy on our roster.

I think he's a first-round talent, but no I definitely would not have drafted him for the Colts. I would have waited for a player like Devin Smith or Tyler Lockett in round 2. 

Not at all. The difference between 29 and a high-2nd in minimal. I actually had him being drafted higher (I think I had him going to Houston at 16).

I think he's a first-round talent, but no I definitely would not have drafted him for the Colts. I would have waited for a player like Devin Smith or Tyler Lockett in round 2.

It seems like a lot of people are just disappointed with the pick/position and not the player. I do like the kid and think there is monumental talent potential.

Dudes going to be a nightmare matchup once he develops better route running, I am not expecting him to put up no 861 yards and 7 TD's his 1st year like TY with guys like Hilton, Moncrief and Johnson. Im thinking when Johnson retires the addition of Dorsett will afford Hilton being able to slide into the slot (Though I can just as easily see Dorsett in the slot)

Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate it. If you claim that Dorsett is 1st round talent, I can live with that. At least we didn't take a guy with poor physical attributes. 

I do like what you said about his hands though. "Dorsett is a natural hands-catcher. Doesn't let many balls into his chest." Then, I watched him drop this pass from your links:  http://zippy.gfycat....ratorangel.webm

I'm only joking, but it was your 1st link. It did make me laugh. 

Going back and watching him I came to two conclusions:

1. I may have been underrating Duke Johnson

2. Clive Walford is Dwayne Allen.

I don't know how you were rating Duke Johnson, but he's really good. His ability to make plays as a receiver is fantastic, and if he gets enough of a crease, he can be past your safeties in no time.

And yes, I compared Walford to Allen also. Allen is a better blocker, though.

I generally agree. Here is the problem. In contrary to popular belief, a team cannot draft the BPA. If the Colts did, we might end up drafting 9 OTs this year. You have to consider need, and choose a position that fits your roster, making sure the player falls in a range of BPAs.

Over the past two years, the offense was really exposed as being mediocre after Reggie went down (knee in one year and elbow the next). Yes, we signed AJ and there is Moncrief, but the need for a complete big play WR is there, IMO. Its also a need if TYs agent causes trouble, which he is more likely to do if TY is perceived as being the only real threat.

IMO, the team needed either Dorsett or Lockett for now and the future. And since I don't think Lockett will be there at 61, I like the pick of Dorsett at 29, especially since he also falls in an acceptable BPA range.

Dorsett and Lockett are the only 2 WRs available where we draft that have big play threat, IMO. Getting one of those two players was much more essential than getting any one DT, or ILB, or S, IMO.

He is a nightmare match up, but We now have a VERY Crowded WR position, given that I probably would have gone in a different direction. I don't see how you can get all those WR on the field at one time? Time will tell apparently his speed and home run ability was too much to pass on for the Colt brass!

Duke Johnson is the real deal. His problem is he gets nicked up a lot. There may have been a stat out there showing that he was able to finish like 70% of the games he started.

Landon Collins, Malcom Brown, or Preston Smith

You crack me up. Landon Collins? I didn't think you'd like that pick. I thought it was the most obvious choice as the night went on, so I'm not surprised that it didn't happen. Looking at who's still on the board, there's a 34.6% chance he could last til #61.

I'm cooler on Malcom Brown than everyone else. Another pick that seemed kind of obvious, but I think he's ordinary.

Preston Smith is a bad fit, IMO. I've given up on this staff putting gadget players in place on defense. If we had Wade Phillips or Doug Marrone, absolutely. We do not.

I expected you to say Grady Jarrett.

You crack me up. Landon Collins? I didn't think you'd like that pick. I thought it was the most obvious choice as the night went on, so I'm not surprised that it didn't happen. Looking at who's still on the board, there's a 34.6% chance he could last til #61.

I'm cooler on Malcom Brown than everyone else. Another pick that seemed kind of obvious, but I think he's ordinary.

Preston Smith is a bad fit, IMO. I've given up on this staff putting gadget players in place on defense. If we had Wade Phillips or Doug Marrone, absolutely. We do not.

I expected you to say Grady Jarrett.

haha, keep up man, I've been on the Landon Collins bandwagon for about a month now. 

And yes Grady Jarrett would have been a better pick, but I expect he'll be there at 61. 

2m2 minutes ago

Texans tried twice to get back into the first. Once for Bud Dupree and as @SportsRadio610 said Phillip Dorsett.

As the draft was going on I saw that the texans had traded with the Pats for #32 like it was a done deal, but I guess they backed out when we took Dorsett.

@NEPD_Loyko: According to @tomecurran the #Patriots were ready to trade down with Texans because they thought Indy was taking Malcom Brown.

Someone on the TL put i best yesterday. Said the Texans took Kevin Johnson to cover TY and then we just cloned him. 

I seen that, I like the player, I just not sure I like that we got him over some of the other talent out there that were in positions of need

As the draft was going on I saw that the texans had traded with the Pats for #32 like it was a done deal, but I guess they backed out when we took Dorsett.

@NEPD_Loyko: According to @tomecurran the #Patriots were ready to trade down with Texans because they thought Indy was taking Malcom Brown.

So wait...Grigson actually not only tricked Hoodie but kept him from getting more draft picks with a trade back?!  I'm starting to like this move now

Thanks for taking the time to write this up, Dustin. I think it's best that we all take a step back and wait to see how tonight shakes out before we continue to burn this mutha down. 

A plea for patience. Good call ruksak. What's the return policy on pitchforks & torches anyway or are all sales final? I kid; I kid. Besides, I threw away my receipt so it won't matter. 

pitchforks-and-torches.jpg

A plea for patience. Good call ruksak. What's the return policy on pitchforks & torches anyway or are all sales final? I kid; I kid. Besides, I threw away my receipt so it won't matter. 

pitchforks-and-torches.jpg

Buy a bus ticket to Baltimore? They have need for such implements there...or so I hear. 

Buy a bus ticket to Baltimore? They have need for such implements there...or so I hear. 

Given the unrest in Maryland right now, I will leave that matter alone at the moment & donate said materials to a local nursery. You did offer me an alternative course of action though. Thank you. 

He is a nightmare match up, but We now have a VERY Crowded WR position, given that I probably would have gone in a different direction. I don't see how you can get all those WR on the field at one time? Time will tell apparently his speed and home run ability was too much to pass on for the Colt brass!

Swoops and Whalen are career back up players IMO. The WR position is not as crowded as all that. Johnson might not be as good as advertised  and may only play one more year. The receiver position normally takes a couple of years to develop Last season we seen the passing game struggle when Wayne not being 100% and not playing at all. Carter is a wait and see prospect and cant be counted on at this time. I agree the Colts could have gone another direction but it is what it is. We will not know the results for a while but maybe it will turn out fine.

Swoops and Whalen are career back up players IMO. The WR position is not as crowded as all that. Johnson might not be as good as advertised  and may only play one more year. The receiver position normally takes a couple of years to develop Last season we seen the passing game struggle when Wayne not being 100% and not playing at all. Carter is a wait and see prospect and cant be counted on at this time. I agree the Colts could have gone another direction but it is what it is. We will not know the results for a while but maybe it will turn out fine.

I disagree somewhat. Whalen Swoops yes, back ups, Johnson is fine IMO we get 2 years from him with good play. Carter is a wait & see, but you can't deny there is talent there. If he doesn't play how do you know how good he is? You fail to mention Moncrief who could become a star? I think its going to work out fine, I was SHOCKED at first but have warmed to the idea because I think its a good play given we have Hilton, Fleener, and Allen in walk years. As they say too you can't coach speed. You want to double Hilton, pick your poison with Johnson, Moncrief, Carter, Dorseet, or throw in the TE's to. Honestly its a good problem to have. But if we can't stop the run, or get to the passer, it won't matter much!

Thanks for the full breakdown and the subsequent links Dustin!

A little perspective on this pick at #29:  There's no denying that we already have a full WR corps but this was more than a luxury pick.

Having Siamese Hiltons is a truly unique opportunity that may prove to present some of the greatest defensive matchup challenges the NFL has ever seen.  Let's not forget that T.Y. is already a pro bowler and in NFL redrafts they have T.Y. as a 1st rounder (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000341796/article/2012-nfl-draft-doover-redskins-take-wilson-not-rgiii). 

Both players can play in the slot or outside and blow the top off on every snap.  Dorsett has shown enough skill across the board (albeit in limited experience) to potentially become just as good as our aforementioned pro bowler.

It's the synergistic effect of having both these players... and having them together with Luck for the next decade plus... that warranted the 1st round selection in my humble opinion (this is in addition to the fact that he was already a late 1st/early 2nd round prospect).  I loved the idea back in March when Curtis Conway suggested it on NFL.com and I love it even more as a reality.

The defense and offensive line were addressed in free agency and will continue to be addressed over the next 2 days.  We may find a great DT, OT, or other positional needs player over the next 8 picks, but there was only one player with that unique skill set in this draft and who knows how long before the next one comes along.  Not only did we get him... we got him NOW.  Go Colts! 

1. You did.

He's much more than a change of pace back IMO