Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wilson's Contract

Gyan Rrigson

Money money money money.....money. But I think Wilson has earned his new contract. He has played very well in his time in the league and already has a ring and another Super Bowl appearance. I'm not sure I would make his entire contract fully guaranteed but the Seahawks are going to be in a tough position for adding other pieces if this contract comes to fruition.

i personally think Wilson isn't all that great so it's funny that the seahawks will back up the truck for him without Lynch and that defense he would be horribly exposed as nothing but a game manager.

I tend to agree. I think Wilson is good no doubt, but not good enough to be demanding to be the highest paid player and potential fully guaranteed. Good luck with all that, lol. Just hope it doesn't affect our contract with Luck.

He is mobile, he would make plays still despite the line, imagine him with receivers like Hilton, Johnson to work with

you have to take in the factor of less players in the box. we dont have a lynch to take pressure off of coverage

you think bevell is the means of his success?

No, he's been successful because he's a good player. But Bevell puts him in situations that take advantage of what he does well. Some coordinators don't do that; the Niners are trying to change Kaepernick, for instance.

I tend to agree. I think Wilson is good no doubt, but not good enough to be demanding to be the highest paid player and potential fully guaranteed. Good luck with all that, lol. Just hope it doesn't affect our contract with Luck.

At their age it doesn't matter if the whole contract is guaranteed. I doubt the colts will be looking to drop Luck at age 30

I think this is a terrible mistake by the Hawks if they guarantee the contract. There is no sane reason to do it unless he only signs for a few years which is not what I think Wilson wants. I like Wilson but as has been discussed on these boards, he does  not have the ability from the pocket to lead his team the way Brady, Rodgers and Luck can so they are forced as a team to carry those ridiculous salaries in the secondary and also Lynch's new deal. This type of contract will be the albatross that sinks the Hawks IMO and eventually they will lose Bevell and their other assistants as all successful teams eventually do.

I do hope the couple of posters we had that were Hawks fans come back and weigh in on this as I would love to hear their perspectives.

you have to take in the factor of less players in the box. we dont have a lynch to take pressure off of coverage

Box is loaded against Seattle too, and Russel Wilson still makes a lot of moves on the ground, he is similar to Rodgers hen it comes to scrambles

No way at all will it be fully guaranteed, not for that much. I could see it being something like $80M fully guaranteed. Gets the most guaranteed money but no incentive/performance bonuses. I dont think the owner would even do that because he knows what would follow and that every other league owner would be ticked.

Percy Harvin played 6 games with the Hawks, Tate's best years were with Wilson, and his production went up when Wilson got there

He played 6 games and was largely ineffective. Tate had by far his best yr once he left seattle. Then again, seattle is a run first kinda team.

I heard this rumor roughly a month ago and posted about it here.    It didn't get much traction then either.

But I'd say this.....  

Don't be surprised at anything Seattle does.....    they're a very, VERY outside-the-box thinking organization.

And the reason to guarantee the whole deal would be if they could get him at a somewhat below annual value.

So,  perhaps 6 years and $105 Mill.     A $17.5 Mill average would be below market value,  and that might be incentive enough to guarantee the whole thing.      Reportedly,  Seattle believes Wilson is a very low risk candidate for injury, and especially for an injury that might threaten his career.

Obviously they aren't going to do a fully guaranteed contract but Russell Wilson is a very good qb that is up and coming in this league. He has been throwing basically to UDFA his whole career. I think Graham will help a lot but they still need a playmaker on the outside. Wilson in my mind is a young Drew Brees....well a more athletic one. He takes care of the football, makes from the pocket or if you flush him from outside the pocket, can make you pay with his feet. I mean I know people like AM think he is limited but I don't think I'm wrong...he made more deep throws in the SB then Brady. I mean it wasn't some fluke that he beat SF last year on a bomb from the pocket, beat GB with it, tore up Denver, had them on the door step on a 2 minute drive ala Tom Brady from the pocket. The interception wasn't his fault...it was a designed play...he has to throw that slant because that is where the ball is suppose to go...it was a horrible call and read easily by the defense. Thats not on him. He has shown to be clutch in big moments and he is a legit star in this league. Like it or not he isn't going away and even if their defense isn't as good down the road he is growing as a qb. I'm not here to debate his contract. It should be large and he should be a top 5 paid qb going forward...from what he has accomplished and what he looks like he will be going forward sure the team will have to make decisions but I would much rather make them with a quality qb in the fold like Russell than without. Like Drew I think he needs clean passing lanes to help his vision so a good OL will be very helpful but this kid is good...and is only getting better. Haters are going to hate...but his game passes the eye test...especially in the 4th qtr. He isn't perfect..he has some flaws..and some physical limitations...but he has things that many qbs dont and they more than make up for it. The cap is going to continue to go up....it shouldn't be a big issue long term to keep most of their guys...to add more maybe not but as that defense ages they will let some guys go and add to the offense and that team will transition to younger defensive guys. As they are built right now...they are entering their prime....I look for more SB runs.

Obviously they aren't going to do a fully guaranteed contract but Russell Wilson is a very good qb that is up and coming in this league. He has been throwing basically to UDFA his whole career. I think Graham will help a lot but they still need a playmaker on the outside. Wilson in my mind is a young Drew Brees....well a more athletic one. He takes care of the football, makes from the pocket or if you flush him from outside the pocket, can make you pay with his feet. I mean I know people like AM think he is limited but I don't think I'm wrong...he made more deep throws in the SB then Brady. I mean it wasn't some fluke that he beat SF last year on a bomb from the pocket, beat GB with it, tore up Denver, had them on the door step on a 2 minute drive ala Tom Brady from the pocket. The interception wasn't his fault...it was a designed play...he has to throw that slant because that is where the ball is suppose to go...it was a horrible call and read easily by the defense. Thats not on him. He has shown to be clutch in big moments and he is a legit star in this league. Like it or not he isn't going away and even if their defense isn't as good down the road he is growing as a qb. I'm not here to debate his contract. It should be large and he should be a top 5 paid qb going forward...from what he has accomplished and what he looks like he will be going forward sure the team will have to make decisions but I would much rather make them with a quality qb in the fold like Russell than without. Like Drew I think he needs clean passing lanes to help his vision so a good OL will be very helpful but this kid is good...and is only getting better. Haters are going to hate...but his game passes the eye test...especially in the 4th qtr. He isn't perfect..he has some flaws..and some physical limitations...but he has things that many qbs dont and they more than make up for it. The cap is going to continue to go up....it shouldn't be a big issue long term to keep most of their guys...to add more maybe not but as that defense ages they will let some guys go and add to the offense and that team will transition to younger defensive guys. As they are built right now...they are entering their prime....I look for more SB runs.

Tore up denver lol. Still trying to push that line of thinking I see......

Tore up denver lol. Still trying to push that line of thinking I see......

Uh he was dang near perfect in that game. What could he have done better? 2nd year player playing in the biggest game of his life on the biggest stage in the world and he played near flawlessly. I'm not here to say he lit them up ala Joe Montana against the Denver a couple decades back but he certainly played a great game. Kept moving the chains and put the ball in the endzone...didn't turn it over and they controlled the clock and the ball keeping it away from Peyton. It was a dominant performance and he played his part perfectly. He even had a first down on that first drive where he stuck the ball out in front of the chains and that was the only way they stopped him was with a bad call. He played very well against NE as well. It wasn't great but when he needed a big play he made it. I mean it was certainly much better than say a Ben Rothlisburgers first SB in his second year. For a young player like that I was impressed with his play. Don't know what else you can say.

Uh he was dang near perfect in that game. What could he have done better? 2nd year player playing in the biggest game of his life on the biggest stage in the world and he played near flawlessly. I'm not here to say he lit them up ala Joe Montana against the Denver a couple decades back but he certainly played a great game. Kept moving the chains and put the ball in the endzone...didn't turn it over and they controlled the clock and the ball keeping it away from Peyton. It was a dominant performance and he played his part perfectly. He even had a first down on that first drive where he stuck the ball out in front of the chains and that was the only way they stopped him was with a bad call. He played very well against NE as well. It wasn't great but when he needed a big play he made it. I mean it was certainly much better than say a Ben Rothlisburgers first SB in his second year. For a young player like that I was impressed with his play. Don't know what else you can say.

Uh, the game was 30-0 and he hadn't really done a whole lot.

He's a very good player, but u love him a bit too much lol

For whatever it's worth to you...

Wilson's like in that Super Bowl:

18/25 for 206 yards and two touchdowns.

Thats a pretty good line...over 11yds per completion....I don't know what the third down ratio was but I bet it was high. He took care of the ball didn't give Denver a short field...basically gave them no chance to rally or change momentum. Thats impressive to me. The defense put their foot on Denvers throat...and Russell crushed it down is how I see it. Like I said....most young qbs in that situation would have crapped themselves....ala Big Ben in his first one. He needed a wr (albeit former qb) to make the biggest throw in the game for them. Wilson was great under the conditions. I know his defense set the tone and the stage but he didn't let Denver back into it.

He's a very good player, but u love him a bit too much lol

I have been impressed with him ever since he was at Wisconsin. I can't stand Seattle but I think a TON of teams missed out on this kid.....I think in the long run...there will be a 30 for 30 ala Tom Brady about how many teams passed on him. Specifically when teams like Washington and Miami reached for qbs and others went ahead of him. I thought Denver should have taken him instead of Peyton....actually I was hoping we kept Peyton and took him in the second rd and traded our pick to load up and rebuild like STL did but I will say I'm happy we took Luck....it was just hard to give up Peyton my favorite Colt. I don't know much about Russell to love him...not like I would say other guys I follow that have good testimonies or have carried themselves in the community and followed for awhile like Kurt Warner and some others but I haven't seen anything yet to not be impressed by I wil say that.

very impressive putting up numbers after the game is already decided /s

Pretty sure Hawks were kicking FGs on their first few possessions but it felt like a blow out given how bad the Denver O was. Wilson will always struggle against teams that make him throw from the pocket. Not sure that fact makes me think it is a good idea to give him the biggest deal of all time. But Seattle is stuck I guess.

It's interesting you would take that from what he said. 

Well...    he's certainly not coming across as a big Wilson fan.    Not sure what you're reading that would give you that impression?

He's downplaying him in every post.     If he wants to say he's only good to very good, but not elite,  well,  he can say that...

Otherwise,  he's left himself open to misinterpretation....

It's interesting you would take that from what he said. 

Riddle me this, Batman....

What are you "liking" about his crack to me that "not surprising that you would take that route"....?

What was to "like" about it?

You're the self-proclaimed smartest man on this website, what do you think it means?

Riddle me this, Batman....

What are you "liking" about his crack to me that "not surprising that you would take that route"....?

What was to "like" about it?

You're the self-proclaimed smartest man on this website, what do you think it means?

He said Wilson didn't play great in the Super Bowl and you turned that into him saying Russell Wilson isn't a good QB.

BOTT was just remarking on how much you love your strawmans.

I have been impressed with him ever since he was at Wisconsin. I can't stand Seattle but I think a TON of teams missed out on this kid.....I think in the long run...there will be a 30 for 30 ala Tom Brady about how many teams passed on him. Specifically when teams like Washington and Miami reached for qbs and others went ahead of him. I thought Denver should have taken him instead of Peyton....actually I was hoping we kept Peyton and took him in the second rd and traded our pick to load up and rebuild like STL did but I will say I'm happy we took Luck....it was just hard to give up Peyton my favorite Colt. I don't know much about Russell to love him...not like I would say other guys I follow that have good testimonies or have carried themselves in the community and followed for awhile like Kurt Warner and some others but I haven't seen anything yet to not be impressed by I wil say that.

I enjoy reading your posts very much. You love your team and your players but you give opposing teams and players credit when you feel it is deserved. I appreciate that and respect your take on all football-related matters.

I hope you will have a more favorable opinion of Teddy in the future. :P

He said Wilson didn't play great in the Super Bowl and you turned that into him saying Russell Wilson isn't a good QB.

BOTT was just remarking on how much you love your strawmans.

He said in a series of posts that Wilson wasn't all that good, and when I showed that Wilson had a very good line in the SB game, he sniffed that it came after the game was decided.    He went out of his way to dismiss Wilson's achievement.

I love my strawman's? 

To my knowledge,  this is the first time I've been accused of that.....