Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How Would Fans Handle....

dn4192

I just wonder, with everyone here, or most here wanting Jim Caldwell fired at seasons end and most of the coaching staff....what would these same fans think or do if Peyton Manning comes out and says he wants Jim Caldwell back next year as his coach and trusts him with leadership of this franchise...

I just wonder, with everyone here, or most here wanting Jim Caldwell fired at seasons end and most of the coaching staff....what would these same fans think or do if Peyton Manning comes out and says he wants Jim Caldwell back next year as his coach and trusts him with leadership of this franchise...

Good question.....

.......Because that's probably going to happen....

If Manning and the old vets like Saturday, Freeney, Mathis, Clarkl and Wayne want him back....he comes back......

they've got a lot to prove.

I would compare it to a group of high school students that could basically do pretty much anything they want with a substitute teacher that they could run over as opposed to a stern hard nosed teacher who would be better for their overall well being. .

With Caldwell, Manning has carte blanche on the field, and I'm sure that is something that he relishes. He might not have that with a real NFL coach. With that said, he doesn't have control over Caldwell making erroneous decisions, mistakes and bad choices.

I would also view such a comment skeptically as Manning just being a professional and supporting his current head coach as opposed to an unabashed point of view.

Interesting take from Phil B. On his blog, he says that Manning might want Caldwell back because he knows there will be no meddling from the head coach. In other words, much like the view many have of the Polian relationship with Caldwell, he is easy to control. If any truth to that at all, I don't think that speaks well for any of the parties involved - including Manning.

I would compare it to a group of high school students that could basically do pretty much anything they want with a substitute teacher that they could run over as opposed to a stern hard nosed teacher who would be better for their overall well being. .

With Caldwell, Manning has carte blanche on the field, and I'm sure that is something that he relishes. He might not have that with a real NFL coach. With that said, he doesn't have control over Caldwell making erroneous decisions, mistakes and bad choices.

I would also view such a comment skeptically as Manning just being a professional and supporting his current head coach as opposed to an unabashed point of view.

I would have to agree with this. The problem is, this team shouldn't have to rely on Peyton and the other core players to be the leaders because it showed this year that when Peyton went down, no one else really stepped up. Its like Peyton was the President and Freeney and everyone else was his cabinet but when the President stepped out for awhile, no one had a clue wth to do.

Of course the players will always say they want the coach...unless it's a Nick Saban situation or something. In Dallas, all of the players wanted Wade to stay. He wasn't a good head coach though. Just because players want you to stay, that doesn't mean you deserve to stay. Wade wasn't a good head coach, but is an excellent coordinator.

Would we go along with it? Of course...

Would we be happy? Heck No...

When one of the greatest players to play the game says its oh-kay, well..who are we to argue.

We will of course (argue), but we will also deal...

It has become abundantly clear that Caldwell is not a good coach, and we defiantly need an upgrade.. At the same turn, if Peyton wants to keep the status-quot..then he has his reasons.

Prue speculation here, but I would imagine it would be to try and win as much as he can while he still can without having to deal with a new coach and a new philosophy..

He wants to avoid a breaking in period (so to speak)

My whole arguement with the whole "Peyton would have to learn a new system and coach" is that look at what happened when Dungy came in. He was told to not touch the offense and really never did while he was here. Tell the new coach the same thing and go with it. I mean if he wants to critique manning on some things and give some suggestions here and there, im sure peyton wouldnt mind that.

I don't think team management should do anything solely on the basis of what Peyton Manning wants. I don't think he should be in the room when the decision is made. I understand taking his thoughts into consideration, and that's got some value. But the team stewards have a responsibility to make sure the team is as good as they can make it.

Kobe Bryant wanted the Lakers to trade Andrew Bynum for Jason Kidd. How would that have turned out? Management has to do what they think is best, and face whatever the consequences are. At least you can say you did what you thought was best, and not have to try to make excuses for yourself because you cow-towed to your star player rather than doing what you thought you should do.

I don't think team management should do anything solely on the basis of what Peyton Manning wants. I don't think he should be in the room when the decision is made. I understand taking his thoughts into consideration, and that's got some value. But the team stewards have a responsibility to make sure the team is as good as they can make it.

Kobe Bryant wanted the Lakers to trade Andrew Bynum for Jason Kidd. How would that have turned out? Management has to do what they think is best, and face whatever the consequences are. At least you can say you did what you thought was best, and not have to try to make excuses for yourself because you cow-towed to your star player rather than doing what you thought you should do.

In this situation..wouldnt you think manangement would give the entire group a year to make amends?

If you revamp the coaches...you're saying 2-14 was the real team and 10-7 and 16-3 were just flukes, right?

In this situation..wouldnt you think manangement would give the entire group a year to make amends?

If you revamp the coaches...you're saying 2-14 was the real team and 10-7 and 16-3 were just flukes, right?

Yes because the 2-14 team didn't have Peyton while the other two teams did. This team should not of had THAT much of a dropoff due to Peyton being out.

I don't see how that is saying that at all. The front office evaluates players at times on a week to week basis, and obviously on an annual basis. They should do the same to the coaching staff, and the owner should do the same to the front office.

If you feel you have an inefficient part in place you attempt to replace it with something better whether that is a Quarterback, Cornerback, linebacker, offensive coordinator, head coach, general manager, or even an accounts receivable clerk if he/she isn't up to par.

I say they can make amends elsewhere. There has been a steady decline every since Caldwell was

GIVEN AND I MEAN GIVEN this job. i guess my question is why give a mulligan, time is running out with this core

let a proven HC have a shot at it. Why do the Colts have to be the team with a HC that no other would want, not one!

I say they can make amends elsewhere. There has been a steady decline every since Caldwell was

GIVEN AND I MEAN GIVEN this job. i guess my question is why give a mulligan, time is running out with this core

let a proven HC have a shot at it. Why do the Colts have to be the team with a HC that no other would want, not one!

But you are firing a Super Bowl coach....just for the record...

I think Jim Caldwell isn't a good head coach, and I think there are better options available. That's my personal opinion.

If management believes in Caldwell, and they decide to keep him, that shouldn't be because Manning wants to keep him. If they believe there are better options available and they think they can lock one of those options down to coach here, they should make their decisions based on what they think is best, not based on what Manning wants.

QFT

Can't believe I'm saying this... but, I wouldn't mind Caldwell staying IF peyton is back AND we get Mike Zimmer as DC.

QFT

Can't believe I'm saying this... but, I wouldn't mind Caldwell staying IF peyton is back AND we get Mike Zimmer as DC.

What makes everyone think Zimmer would rather be here than Cincy. I would be willing to bet not one more coach is replaced.Just hearing all the talk by our team spokesman BP. I would say they all get a do over!

^^^^^^ as stated above!

They would say it's a clear sign that Bill Polian had brain washed him and if left to his own choices there is no way that Peyton would want Caldwell back...

I am kidding...at least I hope I am...

Manning is so PR savvy that I doubt he'll say anything that goes one way or the other. Whatever he's truly feeling, he keeps tucked away. He will support whoever is coach, and grant best wishes to whomever is shown the door.

I agree, Peyton would just deal with it as it comes with the job.