Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Murray confident he could get 8m a year

I think the funnier thing is that a team is actually very likely to do this.  To me, everything about Murray screams that his career will all go downhill from here.  The extremely high usage last year, the injury-prone history (though he did manage to stay healthy this past year), the great OL he had blocking for him...all that makes me think some team is going to overpay for him.  $8 mil is certainly possible, but I think a franchise would be making a big mistake signing him to that.  So it's not silly for him to think that because it has happened before, but I think it's going to be foolish of a team to give him big money

shady is better then murray. not even close

I'm sorry but it's hard to take some people here seriously. I think people on most forums rely far too heavily on media/fan bias without actually watching any tape or looking up stats. Let's do a quick comparison of 3 well known RBs during their first 4 seasons(Murray has only played 4 seasons). 

For instance, did you know that Murray actually edges AP out in yards per attempt when comparing both players first 4 years(Murray: 4.875, AP: 4.85). Lesean McCoy? 4.575. Hell, If you take Lesean's best 4 years and average them out, they still fall slightly below Murray(4.825). 

Personally, I think this is one of the best RB stats there is as long as players are getting at least above 100 carries.

Average number of carries each season: AP 299.5, Murray: 233.5, McCoy: 208.75

So AP clearly is the winner here.

Average Yards per season: AP: 1,445.5, Murray: 1131.5, McCoy: 966.5)

Receptions per season: AP: 29.75, Murray: 42.75, McCoy 55

Receiving Yardage per season:AP: 292.5, Murray: 300, McCoy: 397

McCoy wins here in the bulk reception category. I'm getting lazy, but if I did Average yards per catch, AP would smoke both. AP's close to 10 and Murray and McCoy are around 7. 

Games missed: AP: 3, Murray: 9, McCoy: 5

This right here is Murray's biggest knock in my opinion.

To conclude, They're all 3 really really good backs. To say that McCoy is out of Murray's league though is insane, especially when he beats him in nearly every rushing category. People like to call foul and say that Murray is a product of the great Dallas Cowboys OLine. This is wrong as well. His best YPC years were actually when the O-Line was worse.

PFF Run O-Line ranks: (please note, I've included all available years. PFF does not go back past 2009 so AP is tough to judge).

Dallas PFF Ranks

2011: 16th

2012: 8th

2013: 2nd

2014: 2nd

Philly PFF Ranks

2009: 10th

2010: 11th

2011: 1st

2012: 5th

2013: 1st

2014: 1st

Vikings PFF Run O-Line Ranks: (PFF didn't start doing this until 2009 so it kinda throws off this set)

2009: 32nd

2010: 27th

2011: 2nd

2012: 6th

2013: 6th

It's obviously not the best to go from and doesn't match up perfectly due to rankings not being available for Peterson's first two seasons but it should give you a good idea of how much help each running back received from their team. 

Make no mistake, I don't want us to get Murray. He's a great zbs back and while I'm sure he'd do fine here, I think we can easily draft someone like Coleman or Abdullah and get similar production from a committee next year. However, he very much deserves and commands around 8 million per a year given the stats above. 

If its 8 mil, give him the money. I for one would love to see him with the Colts. And all you complaining about that kind of money will be kissing the TV when he breaks off runs that set up Luck for deep pass daggers.

Thanks for the laugh, buddy. Do you know anything about the running back position? Murray just had a historically huge workload, a workload that no running back has ever managed to produce at elite levels afterwards. He has an injury history and just ran behind the best o-line in the NFL. No chance Murray even comes close to living up to that kind of money. That strategy is about as sound as trading a 1st round pick for an unproven running back...

Thanks for the laugh, buddy. Do you know anything about the running back position? Murray just had a historically huge workload, a workload that no running back has ever managed to produce at elite levels afterwards. He has an injury history and just ran behind the best o-line in the NFL. No chance Murray even comes close to living up to that kind of money. That strategy is about as sound as trading a 1st round pick for an unproven running back...

No offense, but calling someone out about a running back with your name being TRichwasasteal is pretty Damn funny.

He got his 8 million

Yep...I thought his agent fed him some nonsense....but I think he found a situation where he got some teams to compete for his services....I honestly didn't think he could get a bidding war at that price...and Philly was taking a beating in the media....I think Chip cracked on this one. First move he made that I think he gave into pressure on.