Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Projected type of deal for Revis

amfootball

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4778444/proposing-a-darrelle-revis-contract

Mike Reiss posted his thoughts on the type of deal he believes the Pats will offer Revis to get him signed. In short, he sees 5 years at $80 mil (that is 16 mil per year) with $42 mil guaranteed and $16 mil signing bonus.

On the surface this seems logical and perhaps likely but I don't think it happens. I am not convinced the Pats are going to offer Revis a long term contract like this. And I am not sure Revis wants it either. I think what is key is the guaranteed money. I can see the Pats doing more of a two year deal with a lower per year deal that is fully guaranteed. Maybe $26 or $28 mil total over 2 yrs? The Pats don't like to be on the hook for that many years with a player turning 30. They are fine with paying big in the short term for the value but not the long-term. I really don't think they give Revis $16 mil a year on any deal. Not when the other top corners are getting $14.

Thoughts?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see the Pats giving him a long term deal. They never like to be on the hook for players over 30.

This. . . I just don't see a long term deal going on here.  If the Pat's re-sign Revis it will be similar to the last contract.  One maybe 2 years with an option year on a big salary to prevent Revis from being franchised.

I don't really care if they lock him up long-term, but do want to see him here for at least two or three more seasons. With the increase in the cap that should be do-able. The Patriots also have to re-up with McCourty, but they need to keep that secondary more or less intact to remain truly competitive. 

I don't really care if they lock him up long-term, but do want to see him here for at least two or three more seasons. With the increase in the cap that should be do-able. The Patriots also have to re-up with McCourty, but they need to keep that secondary more or less intact to remain truly competitive. 

I would prefer a two year deal. He is 30 and CB is the most athletic position on the field. I think he could be that rare player that plays well into this mid 30's but then I think about Moss and how his wheels came off at 32. I would he happy to pay him well the next two seasons and then re-evaluate after that. I think Revis would be open to that too as he likes to hit the market and make his money.

I would prefer a two year deal. He is 30 and CB is the most athletic position on the field. I think he could be that rare player that plays well into this mid 30's but then I think about Moss and how his wheels came off at 32. I would he happy to pay him well the next two seasons and then re-evaluate after that. I think Revis would be open to that too as he likes to hit the market and make his money.

Yeah Revis has never been afraid to "bet on himself" when it comes to contracts. Seems content to play it a couple of years at a time to max out his value. I could see him being effective well into his 30s but if they can keep him without committing long-term, that's a win-win. 

You are kidding right? One good season and he is in Revis' league?

And he may have been half the price but Revis helped get us a ring ... well worth the $$$ and then some.

So everyone on the roster while the Pats won is above reproach. That's just weird.

I think Revis is slightly better than Vontae, but he didn't help the Pats anymore than Vontae helped the Colts. Law of diminishing returns, at a certain point the difference between one guy and the other isn't actually making your team better. Certainly not for twice the money.

So everyone on the roster while the Pats won is above reproach. That's just weird.

I think Revis is slightly better than Vontae, but he didn't help the Pats anymore than Vontae helped the Colts. Law of diminishing returns, at a certain point the difference between one guy and the other isn't actually making your team better. Certainly not for twice the money.

In terms of your first sentence, I never said that. I just said Revis is better than Vontae which he is, and was instrumental in helping the Pats win a ring. Well worth the money and then some.

In terms of your first sentence, I never said that. I just said Revis is better than Vontae which he is, and was instrumental in helping the Pats win a ring. Well worth the money and then some.

Yeah, that's just not the way it works. His role in the Pats winning the SB doesn't make him more valuable than Vontae (or any other top notch player, really). It just doesn't have a place in the conversation.

Worth the money? Yeah, probably. At least in 2014. Not really an argument for him being worth what's projected here.

As for better than Vontae, only slightly. And that's partly about a well-earned reputation. Yet you acted like it's an insult to suggest that Vontae is even close to him.

Yeah, that's just not the way it works. His role in the Pats winning the SB doesn't make him more valuable than Vontae (or any other top notch player, really). It just doesn't have a place in the conversation.

Worth the money? Yeah, probably. At least in 2014. Not really an argument for him being worth what's projected here.

As for better than Vontae, only slightly. And that's partly about a well-earned reputation. Yet you acted like it's an insult to suggest that Vontae is even close to him.

Again, I never said he was more valuable than Vontae. I said he was better than Vontae which you agree he is. He was well worth the 12 mil in 2014. I never said anything about his future contract.

When Vontae has as many seasons, if he ever does, as Revis being the best CB in the game then we can start putting them together.

Again, I never said he was more valuable than Vontae. I said he was better than Vontae which you agree he is. He was well worth the 12 mil in 2014. I never said anything about his future contract.

When Vontae has as many seasons, if he ever does, as Revis being the best CB in the game then we can start putting them together.

Talent haa nothing to do with what happened in the past. In terms of last season, Vontae had the better season.

The conversation was about the $16m/year for Revis. Hence, "half the price." 

We can start putting them together now. Vontae's play on the field speaks for itself.

The conversation was about the $16m/year for Revis. Hence, "half the price." 

We can start putting them together now. Vontae's play on the field speaks for itself.

Revis has not got $16 mil yet ...

You can put them together if you want but Vontae has not done it as consistently or long as Revis.

Sure it does. Or do you believe players never get better year to year? Revis was great out of the gate, Vontae was not but has improved his game.

Past seasons have nothing to do with what is happening now. Vontae had a better season last year Maybe revis has a better season next year. But comparing last year and last year alone Davis was better

Revis has not got $16 mil yet ...

You can put them together if you want but Vontae has not done it as consistently or long as Revis.

Yet, he "is" pretty much just as good.

"Is," referring to the present, based on the most recent results and likely future performances (given that Revis is three years older and has a surgically repaired knee).

Yet, he "is" pretty much just as good.

"Is," referring to the present, based on the most recent results and likely future performances (given that Revis is three years older and has a surgically repaired knee).

In your opinion you see them as pretty much the same. I don't. Davis is a very good corner but not Revis and it is more than slightly in my view. But we can agree to disagree.

Sure, Revis has done it longer and better. We will see how Davis does the next few years to see if he can match him.

They won't pay him 16 a year. . There are younger corners who arguably are as good or better and offer extra in the return game who are only making 14 and have set the market.. there is no way that Revis goes 2 million more over the market for a position that has already gone through some serious inflation

In your opinion you see them as pretty much the same. I don't. Davis is a very good corner but not Revis and it is more than slightly in my view. But we can agree to disagree.

And that's another story. One in which the numbers back up my stance. As a matter of fact, Davis' numbers in 2014 were better than Revis'. I give Revis the nod because he doesn't stay on one side of the field, and will even play in the slot about 20% of the time. I also give him consideration for the fact that he's been doing it longer.

But there's not much of a case to be made for Revis over Davis in 2014. Yards allowed, catches allowed, completion percentage allowed, TDs allowed, INTs, passes defensed, passer rating against, yards and catches per coverage snap... all favor Davis. And at 26/27, he's probably getting better, whereas Revis at 29/30 is probably going to decline.

I have no problem with someone saying Revis is better than Davis. I only spoke up because you were acting like it's not even close. 

Sure, Revis has done it longer and better. We will see how Davis does the next few years to see if he can match him.

In the meantime, we can acknowledge the present, in which Davis and Revis are very close in terms of importance, value and production. It's not "who has had the better career," it's "who IS better," and right now, it's neck-and-neck.

And that's another story. One in which the numbers back up my stance. As a matter of fact, Davis' numbers in 2014 were better than Revis'. I give Revis the nod because he doesn't stay on one side of the field, and will even play in the slot about 20% of the time. I also give him consideration for the fact that he's been doing it longer.

But there's not much of a case to be made for Revis over Davis in 2014. Yards allowed, catches allowed, completion percentage allowed, TDs allowed, INTs, passes defensed, passer rating against, yards and catches per coverage snap... all favor Davis.

I have no problem with someone saying Revis is better than Davis. I only spoke up because you were acting like it's not even close. 

In the meantime, we can acknowledge the present, in which Davis and Revis are very close in terms of importance, value and production. It's not "who has had the better career," it's "who IS better," and right now, it's neck-and-neck.

To the bolded, that is why Revis is much more than "slightly" better.

If it was neck and neck Davis would not have signed a 4 year $39 mil deal last year while Revis was signing a two year $32 mil deal with the Pats.

You are kidding right? One good season and he is in Revis' league?

And he may have been half the price but Revis helped get us a ring ... well worth the $$$ and then some.

Vontae will help us get another ring as well. He's a tremendous player who plays just as well, if not, better. He is our defensive star.

But there's not much of a case to be made for Revis over Davis in 2014. Yards allowed, catches allowed, completion percentage allowed, TDs allowed, INTs, passes defensed, passer rating against, yards and catches per coverage snap... all favor Davis.

This is before we get into the whole look at the personnel around them factor as well. Our pass rush was solely down to trickery and corners playing aggressive man. When Vontae was off the field the whole D suffered massively. Revis had a far superior supporting cast IMO, that Pats D is quietly pretty darn good.