Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Projected type of deal for Revis

amfootball

It is April 1, http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000463717/article/will-patriots-pay-darrelle-revis-20m-option

I don't believe the Pats will sign him for $25 or $16 for that matter BUT they will pick up that option if he is not done by April 1. We all saw the impact he had this season and the ring at the end. The Pats have said he is their top priority so we will see how it shakes out with the numbers. I am not worried about the cap. The Pats always figure that stuff out. Maybe they have Brady take another pay cut. lol.

The cap is the cap and NE has no magic. Didn't they let TY Law and others go because of the cap ? Or am I crazy ?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's interesting. If you have time could you explain it a little

The 2015 franchise # for DB's would be the greater of the average of the salaries of the top 5 Cb's or 120% of the players 2014 salary. So probably the franchise # for Revis would be around 13 million. The two year contract would call for a roster bonus and base totaling 20 million. Thus the Pats either have to pay him that  (20 mill) or do another deal with him, They can't choose not to void the 2nd year of the 2 year deal and just franchise him

The 2015 franchise # for DB's would be the greater of the average of the salaries of the top 5 Cb's or 120% of the players 2014 salary. So probably the franchise # for Revis would be around 13 million. The two year contract would call for a roster bonus and base totaling 20 million. Thus the Pats either have to pay him that (20 mill) or do another deal with him, They can't choose not to void the 2nd year of the 2 year deal and just franchise him

what date do teams need to be under the cap? Revis cap hit is over 20 million for 2015. Mcourtys tag number is almost 10 million. That's a huge number for two dbs

Correct .. thats why that option was included. It was pretty much a 1 year deal at 12 mill. It's hilarious that Rapoport and other talking head *s think NE will be able to screw Revis by not negotiating until the "market has dried up." The minute his agent feels that is happening , they will make a deal with another team for market price and it will be announced shortly after April 1st . I mean good luck proving that collusion..LOL. Maybe Amffotball and virdulent are buying that talking head nonsense ... but I think not.

There will be soooo much money in free agency. So much. The Jags waited for weeks to try to snag Alex Mack last year. Three weeks for Revis is nothing. Absolutely nothing.

That's interesting. If you have time could you explain it a little?

A team can only franchise a player if his contract expires. If the team declines an option and the last year of the contract voids, the player can't be franchised.

So the Pats have an option to keep Revis in 2015 for $20m. They can void the option before April 1. But if they do, they can't tag him.

That's what Revis wanted. The option is designed to be voided; there's pretty much no way the Pats pay him $20m for one season. And then he's a free agent.

By the way, I believe Suh's contract has the same mechanism. His final year - 2015 - voided five days after the Super Bowl. I don't think they can tag him.

There will be soooo much money in free agency. So much. The Jags waited for weeks to try to snag Alex Mack last year. Three weeks for Revis is nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Don't worry about waiting 3 weeks. If the Pats aren't talking turkey about 2 hours after the FA period opens , his agent will be calling teams left and right. It's known that teams and agents pay about zero attention to collusion rules on this. It will probably even work to NE's DISADVANTAGE if they even attempt to screw him. Reason being his agent will pretty much have to guarantee the team he colludes with is guaranteed that Revis signs with them after April 1. Otherwise that team might have money left that they planned on spending. It's really hilarious that some of the talking heads and Pat fans can't see this.

Don't worry about waiting 3 weeks. If the Pats aren't talking turkey about 2 hours after the FA period opens , his agent will be calling teams left and right. It's known that teams and agents pay about zero attention to collusion rules on this. It will probably even work to NE's DISADVANTAGE if they even attempt to screw him. Reason being his agent will pretty much have to guarantee the team he colludes with is guaranteed that Revis signs with them after April 1. Otherwise that team might have money left that they planned on spending. It's really hilarious that some of the talking heads and Pat fans can't see this.

Yeah, their best plan of action is to extend him now, not wait for free agency to get geared up. Once the cap is announced, they lose a ton of leverage.

so if they tag mcourty they will have to make some moves. They don't have the 10 million in cap space as of now

They might get a cap credit for Hernandez. Could be $10m. I'm sure they'll decline the option on Revis, or extend him and reduce that cap hit.

I'm thinking McCourty might go. They're usually really good about extending guys before they get to free agency. The players that do go to free agency either sign team friendly deals, like Edelman, or walk, like Welker. McCourty will have more of market than either of them.

The cap is the cap and NE has no magic. Didn't they let TY Law and others go because of the cap ? Or am I crazy ?

They are very good with the cap. I think they have learned since the Ty Law days. Letting Samuels go and Branch were not good moves back then. Since then they have locked up their young guys early- Gronk, Mayo and Hernadez before the arrest. I kind of wish they did that with McCourty. They really should have extended him last off-season. He has a lot of pull this off-season  based on his performance and of course having the ring as one of the top secondaries in the league.

Nope.

The "option" is a rigged void. It was designed to be prohibitive so that they couldn't franchise him. There's practically no chance of that happening.

I was not saying that they would pick up the option and then franchise him. I am saying that they pick up the option and then continue to work on an extended deal.

They might get a cap credit for Hernandez. Could be $10m. I'm sure they'll decline the option on Revis, or extend him and reduce that cap hit.

I'm thinking McCourty might go. They're usually really good about extending guys before they get to free agency. The players that do go to free agency either sign team friendly deals, like Edelman, or walk, like Welker. McCourty will have more of market than either of them.

Hernandez is off the books in 2015 so you are right, money back there. Most expect Pats to tag McCourty if a deal is not reached by FA.

unless they get more cap room between now and match 10th they can't tag him

Most are assuming they get Revis done before March 10 which would lower the cap hit. There are also other players that may be asked to restructure and/or cut to make more room. Right now everything is on hold until Revis gets done given the enormity of his deal.

A team can only franchise a player if his contract expires. If the team declines an option and the last year of the contract voids, the player can't be franchised.

So the Pats have an option to keep Revis in 2015 for $20m. They can void the option before April 1. But if they do, they can't tag him.

That's what Revis wanted. The option is designed to be voided; there's pretty much no way the Pats pay him $20m for one season. And then he's a free agent.

By the way, I believe Suh's contract has the same mechanism. His final year - 2015 - voided five days after the Super Bowl. I don't think they can tag him.

They can franchise tag Suh, it'd just cost $27M. 

Most are assuming they get Revis done before March 10 which would lower the cap hit. There are also other players that may be asked to restructure and/or cut to make more room. Right now everything is on hold until Revis gets done given the enormity of his deal.

weren't you just applauding the April 1at date in his contract?

One play needed to be a pass play because Seattle totally butchered the clock with horrible time management. I can't remember when a team called a TO on an incomplete pass in a 2 minute drill. Then they run 40 seconds off the clock after the first down run by Lynch... Crazy stupid. Your secondary played very well against the Colts , very badly vs the Ravens and OK vs Seattle.. IMO.

yah I think the hidden issue about the 2 min drill for the Seattle was the that they burnt at least one TO.  If they have two TO on second down, they have their entire playbook on each down as they could call TO after 2nd and 3rd down.  Folks really did not talk about that issue much after the game.    And perhaps even if they had two TO they might still have run that pass play based on look the pats were in on defense. 

As for the Raven game or overall D did not play great, we did get that late game INT, but for the most part we did not play great on defense.  As for the Seattle, I think we play pretty solid on defense.  A lot of Wilson's passes where into good coverage and he just made a great throw.  Arrington was not great and appropriately benched.  Overall thought I think they played better.

yah I think the hidden issue about the 2 min drill for the Seattle was the that they burnt at least one TO.  If they have two TO on second down, they have their entire playbook on each down as they could call TO after 2nd and 3rd down.  Folks really did not talk about that issue much after the game.    And perhaps even if they had two TO they might still have run that pass play based on look the pats were in on defense. 

As for the Raven game or overall D did not play great, we did get that late game INT, but for the most part we did not play great on defense.  As for the Seattle, I think we play pretty solid on defense.  A lot of Wilson's passes where into good coverage and he just made a great throw.  Arrington was not great and appropriately benched.  Overall thought I think they played better.

Yep .. agree. Only thing is I thought the int was all on Flacco as he misread the coverage or was just plain stupid. Pretty much like Mike Trout running down a can of corn.

Yep .. agree. Only thing is I thought the int was all on Flacco as he misread the coverage or was just plain stupid. Pretty much like Mike Trout running down a can of corn.

lol. Love it.

Pats defense was poor to pedestrian this post-season except for the Colts when they did not have to do much given the offensive explosion. Perhaps the most not talked about issue this post-season was the Pats D which is significant given how much they are credited for the first three SB wins. The last three SB appearances, they failed to get a defensive stop in two costing two rings and this run they were bailed out by a horrible coaching decision by Carroll and two brain farts by Flacco. It is what it is but Brady carried this team to the 4th with two historic comebacks ...

lol. Love it.

Pats defense was poor to pedestrian this post-season except for the Colts when they did not have to do much given the offensive explosion. Perhaps the most not talked about issue this post-season was the Pats D which is significant given how much they are credited for the first three SB wins. The last three SB appearances, they failed to get a defensive stop in two costing two rings and this run they were bailed out by a horrible coaching decision by Carroll and two brain farts by Flacco. It is what it is but Brady carried this team to the 4th with two historic comebacks ...

Can't argue much with that. The only solance for Colt fans is that QB's most always fall off a cliff when they hit 38 -39. It like a prize fighter .. his mind can still see what he needs to do but by the time his body does it , he has taken like two left hooks to the head. I'm sure Brady would love to play until he's well into his 40's as he says but it ain't going to happen. We probably have one more year of dealing with an elite QB ...

Can't argue much with that. The only solance for Colt fans is that QB's most always fall off a cliff when they hit 38 -39. It like a prize fighter .. his mind can still see what he needs to do but by the time his body does it , he has taken like two left hooks to the head. I'm sure Brady would love to play until he's well into his 40's as he says but it ain't going to happen. We probably have one more year of dealing with an elite QB ...

To be honest, I didn't think he still had that type of run in him this year. Many talking heads were saying this post-season that they wanted to see Brady string together two consecutive post-season games where he played lights out. He seems to have great divisional round performances and then so/so in the conference championship game. But this season he strung together three great performances. It was fanstastic to see given all the flak he took the first month of the season. This may have been McDaniels finest job coaching in the post-season too. His game plan vs Seattle was magnificent. Every bit as brilliant as Bill's and Crennel's defensive game plan vs the Rams in '01.

I agree that Brady probably has one to two more elite years left but I have to say, I don't see evidence of much decline in him. His arm is still strong as ever and he moved as well as he ever has this year. But as you say, how will his mind hold up. The season is a grind but maybe that avocado ice cream that Giselle gives him when he is being a good boy will be the difference and propel him another 5 seasons. lol.

Hernandez is off the books in 2015 so you are right, money back there. Most expect Pats to tag McCourty if a deal is not reached by FA.

It's not about him being off the books. That's separate.

They have a greivance pending for his bonus. They may get back some cap space.

And if the Pats don't have a new deal with Revis, and/or the Hernandez cap credit, and/or a Wilfork restructure by March 2, they won't have cap space to tag McCourty.

one year with 20 million guaranteed, four years with 30 or so guaranteed. I'm guessing he would gamble on himself and cash in again next year

Yeah, he likes hitting the market which is why I think this will be a shorter contract with more guaranteed money. That being said, we don't know how he feels about being a champion. He has never had that feeling or status before so if he feels like he can stay and get another ring or two that may play big into the neg. Remember he came here and played for 12 mil when he could have gone to Oakland for $16 so it obviously meant a lot to him last year to get with a contender and go for the ring. Now that he has it and has openly expressed how much he likes playing for Bill, we will see how it shakes out.

It's not about him being off the books. That's separate.

They have a greivance pending for his bonus. They may get back some cap space.

And if the Pats don't have a new deal with Revis, and/or the Hernandez cap credit, and/or a Wilfork restructure by March 2, they won't have cap space to tag McCourty.

Yes, the biggest of those being getting Revis done which is priority number one.

This may be a chicken and the egg thing. But let me ask you, if you take the 2014 group and remove Revis, do they still play man-to-man? Or were those guys able to be as versatile as they appeared because of Revis' ability to play anywhere and shut his guy down without any help?

I am not saying the 2014 did not have depth as you left out Jaime Collins as well and his mad coverage skills but I don't think they look nearly as good/versatile, especially Patrick Chung without Revis there.

Not at all -- Revis was the key to the whole thing, no argument there. He forces the offense's hand in a lot of situations. He was the key to it for sure, but the complimentary pieces were also important to the overall scheme. Browner impressed me in that regard this season... he's pretty versatile as well. Arrington was good in the slot, not as strong outside, and Butler and Logan Ryan both had their moments. 

And Chung... man, he was like a different guy than the player who left after 2012. I sort of cringed when they resigned him but he won me over by the end of the season. He was way more solid in coverage than I would have expected. 

Not at all -- Revis was the key to the whole thing, no argument there. He forces the offense's hand in a lot of situations. He was the key to it for sure, but the complimentary pieces were also important to the overall scheme. Browner impressed me in that regard this season... he's pretty versatile as well. Arrington was good in the slot, not as strong outside, and Butler and Logan Ryan both had their moments. 

And Chung... man, he was like a different guy than the player who left after 2012. I sort of cringed when they resigned him but he won me over by the end of the season. He was way more solid in coverage than I would have expected. 

Yes, Chung was maybe the best surprise of all along with Jaime Collins improvement from year one to year two. For the first time in probably 7 years, I actually looked forward to watching our secondary perform versus cringing and praying. :)

The Patriots aren't going to eat up $25M of cap space for one guy. Even Jonathan Kraft said (directly) in a recent radio interview that the second year of Revis' deal was a "placeholder." It allowed them to spread out some money but it also should, in theory, prevent other teams from talking to him during the "legal tampering" period that starts I think on 3/7. If they haven't released him at that point he's not a free agent and thus should not be allowed to speak to other teams. (Not saying that it would happen that way in reality, but they have until 3/9 to pick up the option.) 

So the way it's structured, the Patriots get a couple of extra days to figure things out.

I can't see Revis being one-and-done in NE at this point. The lack of news is not that surprising given that their season ended not even four weeks ago. Other teams that were done the first weekend in January are just starting to come to some agreements/extensions. The time-table is accelerated because they made the Super Bowl, but that's a nice problem to have. If they want to keep Revis, they'll figure out a way to make it happen. 

I don't really care if they lock him up long-term, but do want to see him here for at least two or three more seasons. With the increase in the cap that should be do-able. The Patriots also have to re-up with McCourty, but they need to keep that secondary more or less intact to remain truly competitive

That's just silly.  The Pats have been 'truly competitive' since Brady arrived -- including a year Brady was sidelined and one lossless [regular] season.  I don't think they have a shut down corner since Ty Law.  

As with everything else, Revis will be on the roster if it is what is best for the team.  If his price exceeds his value, the Pats will move on -- using the unspent money to make the team better in other ways.

That's just silly. The Pats have been 'truly competitive' since Brady arrived -- including a year Brady was sidelined and one lossless [regular] season. I don't think they have a shut down corner since Ty Law.

As with everything else, Revis will be on the roster if it is what is best for the team. If his price exceeds his value, the Pats will move on -- using the unspent money to make the team better in other ways.

And they hadn't won a Super Bowl since Ty Law. That's kind of his point.

And they hadn't won a Super Bowl since Ty Law. That's kind of his point.

One in 32 teams win the super bowl each year.  I don't think the other 31 are not competitive.  I'll concede the point if winning the super bowl is our definition of truly competitive.  

That said, they were one play from LOSING the super bowl with Revis and very close to winning a couple without him.  Given their penchant for close super bowls, this definition draws a fine line between truly competitive and whatever the rest of the NFL is.

Edited by 21isSuperman

That's just silly.  The Pats have been 'truly competitive' since Brady arrived -- including a year Brady was sidelined and one lossless [regular] season.  I don't think they have a shut down corner since Ty Law.  

As with everything else, Revis will be on the roster if it is what is best for the team.  If his price exceeds his value, the Pats will move on -- using the unspent money to make the team better in other ways.

Sure but getting another ring is strongly predicated on signing Revis and McCourty. The biggest key to this team securing the 1 seed and winning it all was its ability to defend the pass. And if they move on from Revis than they have to replace him and this FA market is thin at CB and no one close to Revis certainly.