Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Projected type of deal for Revis

amfootball

One of the luxuries of being a Patriots fan is that "but, championships!" resolves all issues. I thought it was just for QBs, but they used it against Welker, and are now using it for Revis. It's bogus, IMO, but good for them.

You are right. When you have 4 it does resolve many issues.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the luxuries of being a Patriots fan is that "but, championships!" resolves all issues. I thought it was just for QBs, but they used it against Welker, and are now using it for Revis. It's bogus, IMO, but good for them.

Nobody can be better than someone in a Patriots jersey. 'Cause championships.

:puke:

He still played better in a Jets uniform than a Patriots uniform. Ring or not. Sorry.

Revis was otherworldly in 2009 and 2010. And younger, of course. And he hadn't torn the ACL yet. He's still one of the best but it's certainly fair (and correct IMO) to say that his best years were '09 and '10, his third and fourth years in the league. 

I'm not going to get into the Davis/Revis thing that's happening here. It's difficult to compare corners. For a lot of reasons. Revis was great for us this year, and he changed how they play defense. That's good enough for me. I don't care about labeling "better" and "best" in these situations. 

I will just add, though, that a corner who "moves around" like Revis does need to have teammates who can play out of position as well. If he flips to the right side then someone's got to move. If your teammates can't really do that, then you can't either. So it shouldn't really be a knock on guys like Sherman or Davis. There are 10 other guys on defense who need to be able to adjust for something like that as well. 

Revis was otherworldly in 2009 and 2010. And younger, of course. And he hadn't torn the ACL yet. He's still one of the best but it's certainly fair (and correct IMO) to say that his best years were '09 and '10, his third and fourth years in the league. 

I'm not going to get into the Davis/Revis thing that's happening here. It's difficult to compare corners. For a lot of reasons. Revis was great for us this year, and he changed how they play defense. That's good enough for me. I don't care about labeling "better" and "best" in these situations. 

I will just add, though, that a corner who "moves around" like Revis does need to have teammates who can play out of position as well. If he flips to the right side then someone's got to move. If your teammates can't really do that, then you can't either. So it shouldn't really be a knock on guys like Sherman or Davis. There are 10 other guys on defense who need to be able to adjust for something like that as well. 

I disagree with your last graph. The Pats were basically a coverage/zone team prior to Revis with the same personnel. When he came they became man-to-man. He completely changed their defensive approach. You can talk about other guys having to move around but really that is what corners and safeties do. Just like every other player on defense. Different looks are paramount for a defense to be able to keep the offense off-balance. It is who you are playing more so than where you are playing. They are never going to ask Logan Ryan or Butler to cover the top 1 or 2 receivers but they will ask them to move around so Revis can cover those guys. Any defense that cannot do that probably isn't very good to begin with.

I just took a quick look at Mike Reiss proposed contract for Revis. 

As we sometimes forget NFL contacts are not all that they are made up to be in the beginning and teams can always cut a player.

Looks like the bottom line numbers for Revis's proposed contract is 3 years/42 million, with a signing bonus cap hit in years 4 and 5.  The guaranteed money ends after year 3, and you would have a 3.2 mil dead cap for years 4 and 5, if the pats decide to cut him.  They also have an option to redue the deal at that point.

Basically this is a three year "rental" of Revis at basically 14 mil per year.   Surely if at the end of year 3 Revis is still cutting a rug the pats can decide to pick up the 10 mil option bonus and the final two years, but there is no requirement.  The pats can just take the 3 years and 14 mil/yr and call it a day, well call it a "three years.".

In reference to Vontae Davis and who is better/contract comparisons, I do not really get into all of that as there are many factors including but not limited too: what was the persons negotiation position when he signed the contract, is he thrown to a lot, who does he guard, how is his impact on the rest of the team, what are his "real" contract numbers/cost to a team in bottom line what do you need to pay him and for how long, and so on.

For me, Revis helped our team (along with Browner) to get back to playing man to man coverage and press coverage that we have not seen here in a long time.  For me that is important.  If one had CBs that can work on their own, or in conjunction with the other CB and the two only need a safety to help stop two key WRs then that frees up the other 8 guys on D to be allocated by ones coach to do many things that they may not want to try to do otherwise.

So the bottom line numbers look like Davis is a 9 mil per year man and Revis is a 14 mil per year for three years.  For me I take Revis all day in that situation.  Surely Davis has played well in recent history, but I know Revis is a known quantity and for a longer period (Brandon Meriweather made a pro bowl once) and has played well in our D this year and has been a key part to that increase in D.  And when we are deal with NFL contracts which are not a perfect science and you have a guy with a large resume one need to dig a little deeper in ones pocket when you sign him.  And as such, I take Revis at 14 mil before I take Davis at 9 mil.  

Davis may continue to develop and become a great multiple all pro/probowl corner, no question there.  But given that he signed his present contract at a younger age and resume than Revis, his is not going to command the same money even of he plays on the same level.  And for me for an extra 5 mil for three years, I take Revis. 

Just my two cents.

EDIT: An one more thing regarding NFL contracts and when there are signed.  There are only a set number of players available to be signed and at a given time.   It not like a team can turn away from on CB and go to Home Depot and have a large selection of CB to pick from the shelf.  If Revis goes, who do we take and for how much, Vontae Davis is not walking through that door.  So sometimes the necessary evil with NFL contracts is you got Y player for 14 mil, X player for 11 Mil, Z player for 15 mil, and a bunch of A,B, and Cs in the 5-8 mill range, who do you pick.  Maybe the Y player is "too" rich for your overall budget and team philosophy, but then again one might just take it realizing that in this situation the "extra" money is worth it given what he brings to the table as opposed to the other letters.  Again for me I would love to have Revis back in NE on that deal.  

I disagree with your last graph. The Pats were basically a coverage/zone team prior to Revis with the same personnel. When he came they became man-to-man. He completely changed their defensive approach. You can talk about other guys having to move around but really that is what corners and safeties do. Just like every other player on defense. Different looks are paramount for a defense to be able to keep the offense off-balance. It is who you are playing more so than where you are playing. They are never going to ask Logan Ryan or Butler to cover the top 1 or 2 receivers but they will ask them to move around so Revis can cover those guys. Any defense that cannot do that probably isn't very good to begin with.

If that's the case, then why are we giving Revis credit for it?

The truth is that it's a bonus when a player can move around the field and still perform at a high level. That suggests that not everyone can do it. You're not using Kyle Arrington on the outside unless for just any reason, because he's not as good on the outside (and when he was on the outside against the Colts, he had a safety over the top almost invariably). You're definitely not using Browner in the slot. But when you move Revis, those guys have to adjust also. It's absolutely a consideration.

I just took a quick look at Mike Reiss proposed contract for Revis. 

As we sometimes forget NFL contacts are not all that they are made up to be in the beginning and teams can always cut a player.

Looks like the bottom line numbers for Revis's proposed contract is 3 years/42 million, with a signing bonus cap hit in years 4 and 5.  The guaranteed money ends after year 3, and you would have a 3.2 mil dead cap for years 4 and 5, if the pats decide to cut him.  They also have an option to redue the deal at that point.

I didn't look at the proposed structure of it. You're right, it's three years, $14m/year.

I still don't think the Pats are going to do that for Revis. This is still the Pats. And that's a LOT of guaranteed money. Maybe if they staggered the guarantees, but I still doubt it.

If that's the case, then why are we giving Revis credit for it?

The truth is that it's a bonus when a player can move around the field and still perform at a high level. That suggests that not everyone can do it. You're not using Kyle Arrington on the outside unless for just any reason, because he's not as good on the outside (and when he was on the outside against the Colts, he had a safety over the top almost invariably). You're definitely not using Browner in the slot. But when you move Revis, those guys have to adjust also. It's absolutely a consideration.

Not all players can play everywhere but secondaries, at least good ones are not stagnant either which was my point. Revis, if anything allows the other members of the secondary to be more comfortable not less and free to roam because he is shutting down his guy with no help.

I didn't look at the proposed structure of it. You're right, it's three years, $14m/year.

I still don't think the Pats are going to do that for Revis. This is still the Pats. And that's a LOT of guaranteed money. Maybe if they staggered the guarantees, but I still doubt it.

Time will tell what the pats will do.  I just added an edit to my post which you may not have seen when you quoted my post

As we all know for the most part the pats do not over pay for players, do not like having the top paid player at any given position, and like to get rid of someone a year earlier just to be on the safe side. 

However, Revis may be different, the Pats in the past have paid top dollar for a few key players at key positions in the past 15 years. 

Given that our D has finally developed in the past few years and that we now have more just one or two playmakers on D (with Niko, Hightower, Jones, Revis, McCortney, Browner, Mayo, Wilfork, etc), the players in the aggregate are stronger than their individual parts.    That is if one player can hold down his spot others are free to do something and vice versa.  Collectively they are stronger as we can do more.  

Not that the D would fall like a house of cards or it would be significantly hurt if Revis left, something tells me with BB seeing his D look like a D he likes to play with and has options to run the schemes he wants, getting ring after waiting 10 years and not to mention that his D could not stop the last drives of the two recent SB losses, might tend to enlighten the pats to treat Revis like they have those few special players that they have paid in the past.

Time will tell, but effectively at 14 mil per and 3.2 cap hit years 4 and 5 at worst, perhaps the pats might work with Revis, we'll see.

Not all players can play everywhere but secondaries, at least good ones are not stagnant either which was my point. Revis, if anything allows the other members of the secondary to be more comfortable not less and free to roam because he is shutting down his guy with no help.

That's counterintuitive.

Somehow, it's both harder for Revis to move around, and at the same time it's easier for his teammates. Wow.

He did change their defensive approach to more man coverage for sure. That's what I meant when I said he was great for NE this year and changed how they play defense. But I don't know if "with the same personnel" is accurate though AM.

2013 = Talib, Dennard/Ryan, Arrington, McCourty, Gregory.

2014 = Revis, Browner, Arrington, McCourty, Chung/Harmon.

In 2013 they didn't have the personnel to play a lot of the press man stuff that worked so well for them this year. If Revis "flips" to follow a specific receiver, then other defenders are forced out of a set position and have to move as well. 

They do mix up the fronts and the coverage a lot, but that's predicated more on the versatility of the secondary as a whole than on one single player. Revis was great this year and was their most important defensive player, so don't get me wrong. But even he was quoted as saying that this was the best secondary he's ever been a part of because every guy has some versatility. 

Time will tell what the pats will do.  I just added an edit to my post which you may not have seen when you quoted my post

As we all know for the most part the pats do not over pay for players, do not like having the top paid player at any given position, and like to get rid of someone a year earlier just to be on the safe side. 

However, Revis may be different, the Pats in the past have paid top dollar for a few key players at key positions in the past 15 years. 

Given that our D has finally developed in the past few years and that we now have more just one or two playmakers on D (with Niko, Hightower, Jones, Revis, McCortney, Browner, Mayo, Wilfork, etc), the players in the aggregate are stronger than their individual parts.    That is if one player can hold down his spot others are free to do something and vice versa.  Collectively they are stronger as we can do more.  

Not that the D would fall like a house of cards or it would be significantly hurt if Revis left, something tells me with BB seeing his D look like a D he likes to play with and has options to run the schemes he wants, getting ring after waiting 10 years and not to mention that his D could not stop the last drives of the two recent SB losses, might tend to enlighten the pats to treat Revis like they have those few special players that they have paid in the past.

Time will tell, but effectively at 14 mil per and 3.2 cap hit years 4 and 5 at worst, perhaps the pats might work with Revis, we'll see.

Maybe. I doubt it.

Those "special players" that the Pats have paid well have been homegrown players. And with the exception of Brady and Gronk, none of them are ever the highest paid at their position. 

And as important as Revis was, the Pats still couldn't stop the final drive in the SB this year, except for at the very end (and that outcome has been scrutinized to death). I'm only saying that having a great corner didn't make the Patriots champs. It helped, but I don't think Belichick thinks of Revis as the catalyst to the 2014 season. As good as he is, he's not irreplaceable. And there's a huge difference between playing Moneyball at corner, like the Pats have been doing, and making a 30 year old the highest paid guy at his position.

Ideally, they reach terms. I believe the Pats want to keep him, and it sounds like he wants to stay. But I think it will be $12m/year, or maybe less in exchange for more/firmer guarantees. I'll be very surprised if it's $14m+. 

That's counterintuitive.

Somehow, it's both harder for Revis to move around, and at the same time it's easier for his teammates. Wow.

Not harder for him. He is just a great player from anywhere on the field. That is what makes it easier for those around him. Kind of like JJ Watt.

Maybe. I doubt it.

Those "special players" that the Pats have paid well have been homegrown players. And with the exception of Brady and Gronk, none of them are ever the highest paid at their position. 

And as important as Revis was, the Pats still couldn't stop the final drive in the SB this year, except for at the very end (and that outcome has been scrutinized to death). I'm only saying that having a great corner didn't make the Patriots champs. It helped, but I don't think Belichick thinks of Revis as the catalyst to the 2014 season. As good as he is, he's not irreplaceable. And there's a huge difference between playing Moneyball at corner, like the Pats have been doing, and making a 30 year old the highest paid guy at his position.

Ideally, they reach terms. I believe the Pats want to keep him, and it sounds like he wants to stay. But I think it will be $12m/year, or maybe less in exchange for more/firmer guarantees. I'll be very surprised if it's $14m+. 

Revis is most certainly in the special category. The $12 mil fully guaranteed proved that last season. No CB made close that on this team since Ty Law.

He was instrumental to the defense as Brady was with the offense in terms of getting the ring. His play throughout the regular season is what made this team finally able to defend the pass and secure the number one seed. The playoffs for sure were the Brady show as the D was sub par other than the Colts game but Bill will take Revis' production and presence every time. Bill needs to continue to build the D starting with its run defense.

I agree though, I don't see 16 mil or even the $14 mil as I said in my first post. I think they go heavy on the guaranteed money for less money per year and shorter years. I think Revis would prefer it that way too.

He did change their defensive approach to more man coverage for sure. That's what I meant when I said he was great for NE this year and changed how they play defense. But I don't know if "with the same personnel" is accurate though AM.

2013 = Talib, Dennard/Ryan, Arrington, McCourty, Gregory.

2014 = Revis, Browner, Arrington, McCourty, Chung/Harmon.

In 2013 they didn't have the personnel to play a lot of the press man stuff that worked so well for them this year. If Revis "flips" to follow a specific receiver, then other defenders are forced out of a set position and have to move as well. 

They do mix up the fronts and the coverage a lot, but that's predicated more on the versatility of the secondary as a whole than on one single player. Revis was great this year and was their most important defensive player, so don't get me wrong. But even he was quoted as saying that this was the best secondary he's ever been a part of because every guy has some versatility. 

This may be a chicken and the egg thing. But let me ask you, if you take the 2014 group and remove Revis, do they still play man-to-man? Or were those guys able to be as versatile as they appeared because of Revis' ability to play anywhere and shut his guy down without any help?

I am not saying the 2014 did not have depth as you left out Jaime Collins as well and his mad coverage skills but I don't think they look nearly as good/versatile, especially Patrick Chung without Revis there.

Revis did not have better teammates when he was in Tampa or the Jets. You guys act like he has been with the Pats his whole career. lol. He has been on garbage too and been the best in the game.

To the bolded - exactly. That has been my point.

Davis had a fine year this year and if he has another one or two, he will hold out and you will be paying him Revis money.

Both guys had ver low cap hits for 2014. Revis 7 mill , Davis 6.2 mill. The difference is that we have Davis sidnrd for the next 3 years at a very reasonable price.. not 1 or 2 as you state. Revis on the other hand has monstrous ridiculous 2nd year of his contract. You read that the Pats might just hand him 20 million for next year. LOL .. that's not even the end of that story , his cap hit for this year would be 25.. that's TWENTY FIVE MILLION AMERICAN DOLLARS. So don't be silly and write something like you have above. I'm very surprised the man of steel did not rip that post to shreds. 

So what happens now is the pats are at Revis' mercy if they want to keep him. Don't listen to those crack smoking talking heads . This guy will want to get paid and it will be a deal that would have every GM in football saying they would rather have V Davis considering ability , age and contract.

Both guys had ver low cap hits for 2014. Revis 7 mill , Davis 6.2 mill. The difference is that we have Davis sidnrd for the next 3 years at a very reasonable price.. not 1 or 2 as you state. Revis on the other hand has monstrous ridiculous 2nd year of his contract. You read that the Pats might just hand him 20 million for next year. LOL .. that's not even the end of that story , his cap hit for this year would be 25.. that's TWENTY FIVE MILLION AMERICAN DOLLARS. So don't be silly and write something like you have above. I'm very surprised the man of steel did not rip that post to shreds. 

So what happens now is the pats are at Revis' mercy if they want to keep him. Don't listen to those crack smoking talking heads . This guy will want to get paid and it will be a deal that would have every GM in football saying they would rather have V Davis considering ability , age and contract.

You and I both know the Pats are not picking up that option. If they do it will be like a quasi franchise tag where they pick it up and continue to renegotiate a new deal. In actuality, that option is brilliant as it is not due until April 1 which is three weeks after FA begins. So the Pats have Revis into FA and can pick up the option to keep him from going anywhere while they use their actual franchise tag on McCourty, keeping this secondary in tact which is job #1 this off-season.

Look, I like Davis. I think he is a fine CB and may build off of this year and be a perennial pro bowler. BUT right now, I am taking Revis all day, any day over your guy. I will take Revis at $12 mil, $16 mil or $25 mil. They can sign him at whatever they want. They have a HoF QB, best of his generation fresh off a SB MVP performance, who is playing for $14 mil and gave back his guarantee which enables them to pay Revis in $24 mil in cash this season if they want to. He will get done and the Pats have the power and the money. It is just a matter of what the numbers come in at which is why I posted the thread. I think Reiss is off his rocker if he thinks the Pats offer anywhere close to $16 per year when the other two top CBs are getting $14. But we shall see. Like I said, the Pats can do whatever they want. They have the money, they have Revis locked in with that option. Just a matter of getting it done.

You and I both know the Pats are not picking up that option. If they do it will be like a quasi franchise tag where they pick it up and continue to renegotiate a new deal. In actuality, that option is brilliant as it is not due until April 1 which is three weeks after FA begins. So the Pats have Revis into FA and can pick up the option to keep him from going anywhere while they use their actual franchise tag on McCourty, keeping this secondary in tact which is job #1 this off-season.

Look, I like Davis. I think he is a fine CB and may build off of this year and be a perennial pro bowler. BUT right now, I am taking Revis all day, any day over your guy. I will take Revis at $12 mil, $16 mil or $25 mil. They can sign him at whatever they want. They have a HoF QB, best of his generation fresh off a SB MVP performance, who is playing for $14 mil and gave back his guarantee which enables them to pay Revis in $24 mil in cash this season if they want to. He will get done and the Pats have the power and the money. It is just a matter of what the numbers come in at which is why I posted the thread. I think Reiss is off his rocker if he thinks the Pats offer anywhere close to $16 per year when the other two top CBs are getting $14. But we shall see. Like I said, the Pats can do whatever they want. They have the money, they have Revis locked in with that option. Just a matter of getting it done.

There is all kind of collusion in the NFL. Revis is no * . If the pats use that underhanded method to keep him off the market without making a new deal or committing one way or the other..he simply makes a deal with a club and signs to after the league year ends. BTW... where did you get that April 1 date ? You come up with more inaccurate stuff than anyone on the forum. Yes , they do have him "technically" shut out of the beginning of the free agent period but I'm pretty sure that's the wrong date. Also are you sure NE has cap room to franchise the safety and pay carry a 25 mill cap for Revis ? You seem to imply that. Also saying you would rather have Revis at 25 mill than Davis at 10 is silly.

There is all kind of collusion in the NFL. Revis is no * . If the pats use that underhanded method to keep him off the market without making a new deal or committing one way or the other..he simply makes a deal with a club and signs to after the league year ends. BTW... where did you get that April 1 date ? You come up with more inaccurate stuff than anyone on the forum. Yes , they do have him "technically" shut out of the beginning of the free agent period but I'm pretty sure that's the wrong date. Also are you sure NE has cap room to franchise the safety and pay carry a 25 mill cap for Revis ? You seem to imply that. Also saying you would rather have Revis at 25 mill than Davis at 10 is silly.

It is April 1, http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000463717/article/will-patriots-pay-darrelle-revis-20m-option

I don't believe the Pats will sign him for $25 or $16 for that matter BUT they will pick up that option if he is not done by April 1. We all saw the impact he had this season and the ring at the end. The Pats have said he is their top priority so we will see how it shakes out with the numbers. I am not worried about the cap. The Pats always figure that stuff out. Maybe they have Brady take another pay cut. lol.

It is April 1, http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000463717/article/will-patriots-pay-darrelle-revis-20m-option

I don't believe the Pats will sign him for $25 or $16 for that matter BUT they will pick up that option if he is not done by April 1. We all saw the impact he had this season and the ring at the end. The Pats have said he is their top priority so we will see how it shakes out with the numbers. I am not worried about the cap. The Pats always figure that stuff out. Maybe they have Brady take another pay cut. lol.

Nope.

The "option" is a rigged void. It was designed to be prohibitive so that they couldn't franchise him. There's practically no chance of that happening.

Maybe. I doubt it.

We will have to wait and see what happens.  I think Revis will want to get paid but at the same time he might very likely want to stay to spend the later half of his prime with a team that gives him a great change to win a SB.  It could go either way he could want to be a hire gun and take his ring and find the highest bidder or may not mind taking a few dollars less to spend 3-4 years in NE.

I can not say they were all homegrown, but from my best recollection the ones I remember were homegrown, Seymour, Mankins, Wilfork, and there are a few others that at one point in time were the highest paid at their position.  No he is not homegrown, but if he has helped sure up the D BB will be willing to pay money, it just comes down to how much he will want to pay.   The one thing that I found attractive in Reiss' idea was that is was basically a 3 year deal, which might be attractive to the pats and they not want Revis after age 33.  But it should be interesting to see what happens.

For the most part 9 times out of 10 we let players go when we can not bring the numbers together, but seeing that we have had our first press/man to man corners in a long long time, BB might not mind going the extra mile.

As for the D making the stop, I hear yah but at the same time  . . . well . . . they did make the stop, as unlikely as it might of appeared.  But we must remember but for a once is a similar life time catch by Kearse, the D could of likely stopped the Seahawks around the 40 yard line.  So yes we had a once in a life play but so did the Seahawks two plays earlier, so for me it is kind of a wash.  And for what it is worth it was a CB that made the play and sometimes there is a trickle down effect when you have good players, with Revis in Browner (who made a good chuck to prevent a pick) made a play and Butler was in there to make the pick.  So it was two of our CBs that made the play.    In SB 42 we had a hobbled Hobbs on Burress and we all know how that ended.  So our CBs and our depth at the position were involved in the key plays in the game. 

As side note regarding the call, I had no problem with the call by Seattle as you really needed to use all of your three plays in that situation.  One of them needed to be a pass play and really the most effective down was the 2nd down, the first of the remaining three downs.  Yah, Wilson could of rolled out and you could of tried a pass play then he gets sacked or fumbles and either the game is over or Seattle has to use its final timeout and its 3rd and goal at the 5 with not timeouts and 18 seconds to go.  A quick pass play was the way to go and there was plenty to space between the stacked WRs and the line of scrimmage, and Butler made a great player.  Not a bad call just better execution by the pats.  So again, it gets back to the point that the D did make the stop.  

Nope.

The "option" is a rigged void. It was designed to be prohibitive so that they couldn't franchise him. There's practically no chance of that happening.

Correct .. thats why that option was included. It was pretty much a 1 year deal at 12 mill. It's hilarious that Rapoport and other talking head *s think NE will be able to screw Revis by not negotiating until the "market has dried up." The minute his agent feels that is happening , they will make a deal with another team for market price and it will be announced shortly after April 1st . I mean good luck proving that collusion..LOL. Maybe Amffotball and virdulent are buying that talking head nonsense ... but I think not.

We will have to wait and see what happens.  I think Revis will want to get paid but at the same time he might very likely want to stay to spend the later half of his prime with a team that gives him a great change to win a SB.  It could go either way he could want to be a hire gun and take his ring and find the highest bidder or may not mind taking a few dollars less to spend 3-4 years in NE.

I can not say they were all homegrown, but from my best recollection the ones I remember were homegrown, Seymour, Mankins, Wilfork, and there are a few others that at one point in time were the highest paid at their position.  No he is not homegrown, but if he has helped sure up the D BB will be willing to pay money, it just comes down to how much he will want to pay.   The one thing that I found attractive in Reiss' idea was that is was basically a 3 year deal, which might be attractive to the pats and they not want Revis after age 33.  But it should be interesting to see what happens.

For the most part 9 times out of 10 we let players go when we can not bring the numbers together, but seeing that we have had our first press/man to man corners in a long long time, BB might not mind going the extra mile.

As for the D making the stop, I hear yah but at the same time  . . . well . . . they did make the stop, as unlikely as it might of appeared.  But we must remember but for a once is a similar life time catch by Kearse, the D could of likely stopped the Seahawks around the 40 yard line.  So yes we had a once in a life play but so did the Seahawks two plays earlier, so for me it is kind of a wash.  And for what it is worth it was a CB that made the play and sometimes there is a trickle down effect when you have good players, with Revis in Browner (who made a good chuck to prevent a pick) made a play and Butler was in there to make the pick.  So it was two of our CBs that made the play.    In SB 42 we had a hobbled Hobbs on Burress and we all know how that ended.  So our CBs and our depth at the position were involved in the key plays in the game. 

As side note regarding the call, I had no problem with the call by Seattle as you really needed to use all of your three plays in that situation.  One of them needed to be a pass play and really the most effective down was the 2nd down, the first of the remaining three downs.  Yah, Wilson could of rolled out and you could of tried a pass play then he gets sacked or fumbles and either the game is over or Seattle has to use its final timeout and its 3rd and goal at the 5 with not timeouts and 18 seconds to go.  A quick pass play was the way to go and there was plenty to space between the stacked WRs and the line of scrimmage, and Butler made a great player.  Not a bad call just better execution by the pats.  So again, it gets back to the point that the D did make the stop.  

One play needed to be a pass play because Seattle totally butchered the clock with horrible time management. I can't remember when a team called a TO on an incomplete pass in a 2 minute drill. Then they run 40 seconds off the clock after the first down run by Lynch... Crazy stupid. Your secondary played very well against the Colts , very badly vs the Ravens and OK vs Seattle.. IMO.