Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cornerback positions

bap1331

We all know vontae is a lock but how do you feel about toler? I dont mind him but hes gonna get tired when there is no pressure on the qb and they throw his way.

just out of curiosity since no one is talking about him, im guessing were cool at cb? Besides that, flowers maybe will be available.

Cant imagine what this team would be like with houston, suh, newsome. Its like the qb will be like, "YAY! I escaped suh and houston...INTERCEPTION by vontae..."

We just really need a leader on defense. A troy polumalu, ray lewis type.

Toler won't get cut.

I really believe he was a solid #2 last year. He stayed healthy and played hard.

Toler is a very aggressive corner. He's no Davis or Revis and will get beat at points. He played well.

Besides..... Who else do we have! Gordy!? Hahahaha

Toler won't get cut.

I really believe he was a solid #2 last year. He stayed healthy and played hard.

Toler is a very aggressive corner. He's no Davis or Revis and will get beat at points. He played well.

Besides..... Who else do we have! Gordy!? Hahahaha

I completely agree. He did well in the playoffs. But I guess we can talk about the backup. Please get rid of gordy, im sorry. You cant be a backup to 2 great players and not learn anything...

Davis, Toler, and Butler are perfectly fine IMO. Again like Krunk said, when we fix our pass rush, its only going to make our corner's that much better. The only thing we need to do is find a solid number 4 for depth. I'm not a fan of Gordy and we need a decent 4th CB in case of an injury. I'm hoping we get one in around the 5th round.

Toler is really good. He gets picked on because he is opposite of Davis.

Cornerback A: 99 targets, 56 catches allowed (56.5%), 759 yards allowed (7.7 yards/target, 13.6 yards/catch), longest catch allowed 64 yards, 8 TDs allowed, 3 INTs, 3 passes defensed, 95.5 passer rating against

Cornerback B: 125 targets, 70 catches allowed (56%), 930 yards (7.44 yards/target, 13.3 yards/catch), longest catch allowed 59 yards, 9 TDs allowed, 2 INTs, 10 passes defensed, 97.1 passer rating against

One of them is Toler. Guess who the other is. And guess which is which.

I would really love to replace Gordy.  Who could we replace him with in FA?  Or should we pick up a scrappy young guy in the draft late?  Or may UDFA.

We might be able to get a guy like Chris Cook, Zach Bowman, Chris Owens, Josh Wilson, Cason, etc to come in to be our 4th corner. My choice would be either Brice McCain or Alan Ball. Owens or Cook wouldn't surprise me though if we don't bring Gordy back.

Cornerback A: 99 targets, 56 catches allowed (56.5%), 759 yards allowed (7.7 yards/target, 13.6 yards/catch), longest catch allowed 64 yards, 8 TDs allowed, 3 INTs, 3 passes defensed, 95.5 passer rating against

Cornerback B: 125 targets, 70 catches allowed (56%), 930 yards (7.44 yards/target, 13.3 yards/catch), longest catch allowed 59 yards, 9 TDs allowed, 2 INTs, 10 passes defensed, 97.1 passer rating against

Idk... I'm guessing it's toler and gordy.. Don't know which is which. They're basically the same but you couldn't convince me that Toler is a bad corner.

Toler is B. Chris Conte is A.

Idk... I'm guessing it's toler and gordy.. Don't know which is which. They're basically the same but you couldn't convince me that Toler is a bad corner.

Nope.

thanks_for_playing.jpg

Cornerback A is Patrick Peterson. Cornerback B is Greg Toler.

I wouldn't call Toler "really good," but he's obviously not as bad as people make him out to be. As a matter of fact, his 2014 numbers are almost the same as Vontae's 2013 numbers. We basically got Patrick Peterson for a third of the cost in 2014.

A is patrick peterson b is toler?

Toler is B. Chris Conte is A.

A is patrick peterson b is toler?

By the way, the difference in raw numbers (total targets, total catches, etc.) is partly due to the fact that Toler played in 19 games, whereas Peterson only played in 17 games. They had practically identical seasons.

We might be able to get a guy like Chris Cook, Zach Bowman, Chris Owens, Josh Wilson, Cason, etc to come in to be our 4th corner. My choice would be either Brice McCain or Alan Ball. Owens or Cook wouldn't surprise me though if we don't bring Gordy back.

Isn't Kyle Wilson available?  Or is he more similar to Gordy?

Nope.

thanks_for_playing.jpg

I wouldn't call Toler "really good," but he's obviously not as bad as people make him out to be. As a matter of fact, his 2014 numbers are almost the same as Vontae's 2013 numbers. We basically got Patrick Peterson for a third of the cost in 2014.

I answered that right before i saw your answer be posted

Tried to cheat...

Some sites differ slightly on stats. Mine are from PFF.

Yes, I couldn't figure out who would have only 3 PD's and 3 INT's.

My only problem with CB stats is that sometimes high INTs or high PDs isn't a sign of a good CB, but rather a CB that gets picked on a lot.  Regardless, you are right, Toler is certainly not a bad CB.  IMO, he is well above average as far as #2 CBs go and should only improve if we address our pass rush.

Nope.

Toler just had health concerns to me but if he can stay healthy like last season we will be doin good at the CB position I like him and really hope he keeps this up

Toler just had health concerns to me but if he can stay healthy like last season we will be doin good at the CB position I like him and really hope he keeps this up

19 games last year, no injury issues. I know he missed some practices here and there, but he was up and active every week. He gets some bogus flags, and gives up too many TDs, no question about that. I just don't think he's this terrible CB that people have always insisted he is.

19 games last year, no injury issues. I know he missed some practices here and there, but he was up and active every week. He gets some bogus flags, and gives up too many TDs, no question about that. I just don't think he's this terrible CB that people have always insisted he is.

yeah I actually think he's one of the better #2 CBs in the league and he will give up more TDs cause of Vontae being on the other side QBs will throw his way more often

^^^ This, he does get a little aggressive sometimes, but he made some great plays that got "ticky tack" flags.  If he can stay healthy I am more than happy with him as our #2.

Nope.

thanks_for_playing.jpg

Thanks for doing this.    I'm out of "likes" for today,  otherwise, I would have sent one your way here!

Of course,  there are other people here who live and die with stats and might come along and try to dispute your analysis... but, so be it...

I wonder if Mathis was healthy and disruptive like the season before, would we still blitz like we did? Maybe we would be able to leave a backer and both safety's out in coverage. Our defensive backs would be able to cover for shorter periods. Toler got burned by deZ , but really who can cover that guy. Games like the cowboys , and steelers we had no pass rush and look what happened.

Toler is ok, he is decent to solid in any given week. He only has one year left on his deal.

I would absolutely love for us to draft Marcus Peters in the first round. Great press corner who plays a physical brand of football. I have no problem with his 4.53 forty time. In the third round, I would not mind seeing us add either Eric Rowe from Utah or Jacoby Glenn from Central Florida. Rowe can also play safety. Glenn is a redshirt sophomore who played for one of the more underrated defenses in college football last season. Both are over 6'0"

I would be fine with letting Butler and Gordy walk in free agency. Put the money towards McCourtey, Dan Williams, and perhaps Pernell McPhee. Get three quality starters.