Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

"The Call"-Darrell Bevell

loudnproudcolt

...The play call was already in before they even lined up to see what the D gave them.  There is no look at all, with Marshawn Lynch, that dictates a pass.  Furthermore, on that play, Lynch was open to the corner of the endzone.  Could have thrown to him instead of into traffic. 

There was a Linebacker (cant read his number...maybe Collins?) that followed Lynch out and was in front of him so a pass to him was extremely risky at best. If Lockette attacks that ball in the air that's at the very least inside the one and more then likely crosses the goal line with forward progress, I also don't get how you say the play call was already in when the Seahawks huddled up and the Patriots defense had already broken the huddle and was waiting for the Seahawks to line up

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a Linebacker (cant read his number...maybe Collins?) that followed Lynch out and was in front of him so a pass to him was extremely risky at best. If Lockette attacks that ball in the air that's at the very least inside the one and more then likely crosses the goal line with forward progress, I also don't get how you say the play call was already in when the Seahawks huddled up and the Patriots defense had already broken the huddle and was waiting for the Seahawks to line up

Lynch had him beat before they even broke the line of scrimmage. Could EASILY have thrown it over the top and dropped it in.

And because they said that was the plan to start with.

you play the look the defense gives you, They gave a look that dictated pass

That's out of the window with 20 seconds left in the game and a back that ran for over 100 yards.

4th down often dictates you punt, but we know it doesn't always work that way.

I don't have as much an issue with calling a pass play in that situation but Football 101, you don't call a slant to the middle of the field inside the 5 yard line... there are too many defenders in too tight an area.  And if you are going to throw a pass in that situation you at least do a PAP and have the receiver break to the sidelin,  like Edelman did on the Pats previous TD,  just as the Qb is pulling out the ball.

And then to jump offside when there is still a chance to get the safety and get your team in FG range for the win.  Horrible at the end by the hawks.

It would be the right call with anyone other than Lynch.  I don't care that they lined up to stack the box.  Theres no way that Lynch doesnt get a yard to the inside or outside. 

Thats not fair to say, Lynch was 1 for 5 on the year from 1 yard out..  2 were for no gains, 2 were for losses, 1 went for a TD..  So you can't definitely say that Lynch would have scored against the Pats goal line package.. they had some success stuffing him a few times in that game for no gain or a slight loss.

At the end of the day, you have to execute and make big time plays.. the Patriots were able to do that just a little more than the Seahawks and got a hard earned victory.

I don't have as much an issue with calling a pass play in that situation but Football 101, you don't call a slant to the middle of the field inside the 5 yard line... there are too many defenders in too tight an area.  And if you are going to throw a pass in that situation you at least do a PAP and have the receiver break to the sidelin,  like Edelman did on the Pats previous TD,  just as the Qb is pulling out the ball.

And then to jump offside when there is still a chance to get the safety and get your team in FG range for the win.  Horrible at the end by the hawks.

I mentioned it earlier... if Carroll said they were "wasting" a down there, why not throw a fade or something that can't be picked off? 

I don't necessarily think throwing was that terrible of an idea on 2nd down, but you're dead-on here. Throw it, just don't throw it into traffic. 

The encroachment penalty was really bad, but give Brady a little credit for drawing them off. Follow that up with the silly little melee at the end there and Seattle made it easier for NE than it had to be. 

I mentioned it earlier... if Carroll said they were "wasting" a down there, why not throw a fade or something that can't be picked off? 

I don't necessarily think throwing was that terrible of an idea on 2nd down, but you're dead-on here. Throw it, just don't throw it into traffic. 

The encroachment penalty was really bad, but give Brady a little credit for drawing them off. Follow that up with the silly little melee at the end there and Seattle made it easier for NE than it had to be. 

Thing is the ball wasn't really thrown into traffic initially, The Corner came at the last possible second and I still think if Lockette attacks that ball he catches it or at the very least it falls incomplete, He made a weak attempt and didn't explode out of his stance

Thats not fair to say, Lynch was 1 for 5 on the year from 1 yard out.. 2 were for no gains, 2 were for losses, 1 went for a TD.. So you can't definitely say that Lynch would have scored against the Pats goal line package.. they had some success stuffing him a few times in that game for no gain or a slight loss.

At the end of the day, you have to execute and make big time plays.. the Patriots were able to do that just a little more than the Seahawks and got a hard earned victory.

They did not tackle him for a loss. And they would not have stopped him 3 times. Seahawks gave you the win. Walk away and enjoy it.

Thing is the ball wasn't really thrown into traffic initially, The Corner came at the last possible second and I still think if Lockette attacks that ball he catches it or at the very least it falls incomplete, He made a weak attempt and didn't explode out of his stance

Here's what I'm starting to find out.

Butler had practiced that exact slant play with Browner jamming during the season. He blew it and the players said "don't ever let that happen again" Hence the beehive to the ball when he saw Browner jam Hearse.

The Seahawks experienced a bit of an identity crisis earlier this season, trying to get Percy Harvin involved and neglecting their run game a little bit. Bevell righted the ship quickly, but they've had some issues on offense for a while. He's never been a perfect play caller.

That play call, though, is on more than Bevell. It's on everyone. I even think Russell Wilson should have either called a timeout or thrown a MUCH safer pass. Everything about that play was wrong, and everyone deserves some blame for it.

Brady gets credit and also the LG who came out to block when the guy came across... if he doesn't do that, the Seahawk player gets back on his side of the LOS and no foul.

They did not tackle him for a loss. And they would not have stopped him 3 times. Seahawks gave you the win. Walk away and enjoy it.

The Seahawks didn't give the Patriots anything, the Patriot's earned that win by playing better football and making 1 more play than they did.

The Patriots overcame the biggest 4th quarter comeback in NFL history against the best defense the NFL has to offer, a defense that was being compared historically to the 85 Bears as far as pure dominance... and the Patriots came back from a 10 point deficit to win the game.

You can use whatever narrative you want, thats your choice, but its an injustice to what the Pats just accomplished to imply that they were given the game.  They took it from the Seahawks, literally.

The Seahawks experienced a bit of an identity crisis earlier this season, trying to get Percy Harvin involved and neglecting their run game a little bit. Bevell righted the ship quickly, but they've had some issues on offense for a while. He's never been a perfect play caller.

That play call, though, is on more than Bevell. It's on everyone. I even think Russell Wilson should have either called a timeout or thrown a MUCH safer pass. Everything about that play was wrong, and everyone deserves some blame for it.

More importantly, that young man Butler on the Patriots deserves the credit for making an unbelievable play and literally snatching the SuperBowl away from the Seahawks with 18 seconds left in the game.

The Seahawks didn't give the Patriots anything, the Patriot's earned that win by playing better football and making 1 more play than they did.

The Patriots overcame the biggest 4th quarter comeback in NFL history against the best defense the NFL has to offer, a defense that was being compared historically to the 85 Bears as far as pure dominance... and the Patriots came back from a 10 point deficit to win the game.

You can use whatever narrative you want, thats your choice, but its an injustice to what the Pats just accomplished to imply that they were given the game.  They took it from the Seahawks, literally.

Ya, because they made the mistake of passing instead of going with the best back in the league that the pats had not been stopping.  They run it, and this would be a different discussion.

More importantly, that young man Butler on the Patriots deserves the credit for making an unbelievable play and literally snatching the SuperBowl away from the Seahawks with 18 seconds left in the game.

Sure, credit him with a good play. 

I don't think that's more important, though. He shouldn't have had a chance to make that play. 

Ya, because they made the mistake of passing instead of going with the best back in the league that the pats had not been stopping.  They run it, and this would be a different discussion.

And football is a 30 second 1 play game. roight.

There is no guarantee that they would have scored with 2 rushing attempts, which is all they would have had with 1 timeout remaining.

Ultimately, they didn't though and thats all that matters.  You can spend a week going over "What ifs" but the Seahawks were extremely lucky to even be in that situation with Kearse's miracle bobble catch..  they used all their good fortune up from the Green Bay game and through most of the SuperBowl and the Patriots were able to make the play they needed to win.

I don't live in a world of hypothetical wins... You either make the plays you need to make to win the game or you don't.  The Patriots made the plays they needed to make and Seattle did not.

And football is a 30 second 1 play game. roight.

Im not sure what you are trying to say.  Had it been a blowout or the Seahawks were down at their own 20 yard line or soemthing this wouldnt be an issue.  But they were on the 1 yard line for the game winning TD.  You might as well erase everything both teams had done earlier and made it a 0-0 game because this game came down to one play with 24 seconds left. 

I don't live in a world of hypothetical wins... You either make the plays you need to make to win the game or you don't.  The Patriots made the plays they needed to make and Seattle did not.

Exactly, and the play they needed to make was a run play to Lynch lol.

Lockette ran the route poor, It was the right call in that circumstance with everyone up at the LOS and only 1 linebacker to get behind, It was also a good throw that looked bad because of the poor route ran, Lockette should have slanted harder than he did and exploded out of his cut, Bevell was right

That down and distance....with Lynch as your RB and a time out in your pocket...screams run the ball.

This isn't Trent Richardson running behind the Colts O-line that we're talking about here.

Then again....the play call should come to the surprise of no one.....Bevell was a QBs coach and OC for Brett Favre, who made an art form out of vomiting key games with 4th QTR interceptions.

Im not sure what you are trying to say.  Had it been a blowout or the Seahawks were down at their own 20 yard line or soemthing this wouldnt be an issue.  But they were on the 1 yard line for the game winning TD.  You might as well erase everything both teams had done earlier and made it a 0-0 game because this game came down to one play with 24 seconds left. 

What I meant is no you can't erase the 59 minutes. People always look at a play or two or a ref call and say this should have or not happened.

I was impressed with the logic when BB said a few years ago there are some 80 plays in a game and most will go as expected. Some gains some stops etc.  Many games are won late in the 4th qtr on 2 or 3 plays.

So you play the entire game for 60 minutes to be in POSITION to make (or not) those key plays at the end.

To erase the bulk of the game you might as well play a 30 second game.

I cannot believe that coaches are getting DRILLED by media nation wide for a decision the "GREAT" Russel Wilson made?   Wilson threw the ball into the BELLY of a goal line D?     Really..  and Bev and Carrol are the *s?       Throw the ball away or "don't throw it at all in THAT situation"  

I thought Russ was this unflappable leader?   Never made mistakes?   Really?   Oh and he is not "encouraged" to audible at the line...    heheheeeee    sigh... 

Russel Wilson is NOT getting any heat at all...     He has 3 TD's, and 5 INT's the last 2 games.   And IS the reason his team lost in the SB.    HE THREW THE INT.   

If Peyton   or LUCK  had done the same.................................     ???   Things change when one is FORCED to make a play.        Seattle did this NFL a favor by showcasing RW's "green" nature.     He is not a 20m dolla QB.     Not close... but he will get it..    Rock on Seattle.

heheheeee        the media is a fickle entity..       On their good side....  and it's all good..     Be their whipping boy... .    and it is hell.

Wilson is young...    he will find out soon enough.

I cannot believe that coaches are getting DRILLED by media nation wide for a decision the "GREAT" Russel Wilson made?   Wilson threw the ball into the BELLY of a goal line D?     Really..  and Bev and Carrol are the *s?       Throw the ball away or "don't throw it at all in THAT situation"  

I thought Russ was this unflappable leader?   Never made mistakes?   Really?   Oh and he is not "encouraged" to audible at the line...    heheheeeee    sigh... 

Russel Wilson is NOT getting any heat at all...     He has 3 TD's, and 5 INT's the last 2 games.   And IS the reason his team lost in the SB.    HE THREW THE INT.   

If Peyton   or LUCK  had done the same.................................     ???   Things change when one is FORCED to make a play.        Seattle did this NFL a favor by showcasing RW's "green" nature.     He is not a 20m dolla QB.     Not close... but he will get it..    Rock on Seattle.

heheheeee        the media is a fickle entity..       On their good side....  and it's all good..     Be their whipping boy... .    and it is hell.

The media loves to build people up...

but not as much as they love to tear them down afterwards.

It was God's will

He bears a measure of the blame John, sure. And I get what you're saying about the immortalization of Russell Wilson....Pete Carroll will have an absolute blast managing that locker room now.

But that down and distance with a time out and Lynch at RB still lays the lion's share of the blame on Bevell.

Prior to the game the ESPN talking heads gave the edge at QB for this game to Wilson. I nearly lost my mind.

That down and distance....with Lynch as your RB and a time out in your pocket...screams run the ball.

This isn't Trent Richardson running behind the Colts O-line that we're talking about here.

Then again....the play call should come to the surprise of no one.....Bevell was a QBs coach and OC for Brett Favre, who made an art form out of vomiting key games with 4th QTR interceptions.

Made an art form of comeback late minute drives as well

Lol, that's hilarious. I heard Ray Lewis claim he would prefer to face Brady than Wilson.....sooo eye rolling.

Wilson is a dual threat who is both accurate and can scramble if he has to, It makes some sense even if I disagree as well

Wilson is a dual threat who is both accurate and can scramble if he has to, It makes some sense even if I disagree as well

I know who he is, but that doesn't make it any less dumb. Wilson might be more frustrating for a defender, but if you wanna win go with Brady 100 out 100 times.

this is TRUE...  

Pete C said "we did not have our goal ling O package on the field" ... ???

Guess what Pete...   BB did...       ?? 

I really hate losing to NE ... but I madly respect them ...      They think out side of the box.     They THINK...    Where other staffs..  INDY...    just do what they do?   sigh.. 

I really like the play where BB told Brady on their GL to tell the C to "knod" 2x...   when they had done it 1x all game long going with a silent count..    And it worked..    Just genius.    that was Peyton like but of course Peyton needs to be in the situation for it to happen.

Good win NE...        

The media loves to build people up...

but not as much as they love to tear them down afterwards.

this is TRUE...  

Pete C said "we did not have our goal ling O package on the field" ... ???

Guess what Pete...   BB did...       ?? 

I really hate losing to NE ... but I madly respect them ...      They think out side of the box.     They THINK...    Where other staffs..  INDY...    just do what they do?   sigh.. 

I really like the play where BB told Brady on their GL to tell the C to "knod" 2x...   when they had done it 1x all game long going with a silent count..    And it worked..    Just genius.    that was Peyton like but of course Peyton needs to be in the situation for it to happen.

Good win NE...        

I am out of likes but wanted to give this a :thmup: .

Bill is maybe the best in game manager the game has ever seen. I have no idea how many hours he spends preparing for situation football as he says but it has to be thousands as there never seems to be a situation or a play that he is not prepared for.

exactly...     Seattle was LUCKY to be on the 5 with seconds left....     They really were.

And then Wilson pulls a "dare I say MANNING" and game over?   NO grief for Russel W in the GB game or the Super Bowl

He is the media cuddle buddy right now.       He is beyond abuse..     He has the best cast of any QB in the NFL around him and he FAILED.

But...    it's all good ...    he jumps from NO PRESSURE status to .....      All the PRESSURE status next season.

$$$  changes a fans perspective faster than a loss.   

Go get em Russel....

Prior to the game the ESPN talking heads gave the edge at QB for this game to Wilson. I nearly lost my mind.

Yes ....  BB makes average coaches with AVERAGE talent look bad...  

yes I am talking to INDY..        We have a QB, a WR, and a CB ...   and what else?

NE is the standard...     lets GO...

I am out of likes but wanted to give this a :thmup: .

Bill is maybe the best in game manager the game has ever seen. I have no idea how many hours he spends preparing for situation football as he says but it has to be thousands as there never seems to be a situation or a play that he is not prepared for.