Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

"The Call"-Darrell Bevell

loudnproudcolt

If a D plays disciplined football...      IE, hold your gap...      stopping a R W is not hard...    it gets hard when the team cannot get to the QB.    Which NE could not. 

but it all worked out. .    Russel is a really good QB for a really GOOD D team.       Put RW at QB for Jax and ...

well we all know the answer to that .

Wilson is a dual threat who is both accurate and can scramble if he has to, It makes some sense even if I disagree as well

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...The play call was already in before they even lined up to see what the D gave them.  There is no look at all, with Marshawn Lynch, that dictates a pass.  Furthermore, on that play, Lynch was open to the corner of the endzone.  Could have thrown to him instead of into traffic. 

I'm not defending the call but I'm going throw a few things out there-

Lynch was successful in scoring a TD from the 1 yard line only 1 time out of 5 tries this year. 

Lynch was successful in scoring a TD from the 1 yard line only 1 time out of 4 tries in the post season

Lynch was successful in scoring a TD from the 1 yard line only 14 times out of 31 tries all time in his career.

No QB, not a single one, threw an interception on a pass play from the 1 yard line in 2014.  Not one single interception... all year...  all teams...  until...

And Lynch wasn't open. He was blanketed.  As were the other receivers in pattern except Lockette. Lynch's man dropped off him when he saw Wilson had already let the pass go.  And while I post this, I don't agree with the call either.  ) seing the Pats D, I would have tried a quick count QB sneak). But it is true if Lockette ran his route harder/faster he might have caught scored, or if Wilson throws a little better pass. 

SB_Loss_zpscftahnmh.png

SB_Loss2_zpsckzrg6js.png

But let's give credit where credit is due.  A dude working at Popeye's chicken recently made 2 huge plays to save the game for the Pats!  First, on the miraculous Kearse catch.  Butler got up and tackled Kearse before he could himself get up and waltz in to the end zone.  2 plays later, he makes the pick!  An UDFA came in and made not one, but 2 plays at the end of the game.  Seems so unlikely, I have the feeling if Lynch would have run, this kid would have run up and put his hat on the ball and punched it out.  When it is your 15 minutes to shine, it's your 15 minutes!

Lynch was successful in scoring a TD from the 1 yard line only 1 time out of 5 tries this year.

Lynch was successful in scoring a TD from the 1 yard line only 1 time out of 4 tries in the post season

Lynch was successful in scoring a TD from the 1 yard line only 14 times out of 31 tries all time in his career.

No QB, not a single one, threw an interception on a pass play from the 1 yard line in 2015. Not one single interception... all year... all teams... until...

And Lynch wasn't open. He was blanketed. As were the other receivers in pattern except Lockette. Lynch's man dropped off him when he saw Wilson had already let the pass go. And while I post this, I don't agree with the call either. ) seing the Pats D, I would have tried a quick count QB sneak). But it is true if Lockette ran his route harder/faster he might have caught scored, or if Wilson throws a little better pass.

SB_Loss_zpscftahnmh.png

SB_Loss2_zpsckzrg6js.png

But let's give credit where credit is due. A dude working at Popeye's chicken recently made 2 huge plays to save the game for the Pats! First, on the miraculous Kearse catch. Butler got up and tackled Kearse before he could himself get up and waltz in to the end zone. 2 plays later, he makes the pick! An UDFA came in and made not one, but 2 plays at the end of the game. Seems so unlikely, I have the feeling if Lynch would have run, this kid would have run up and put his hat on the ball and punched it out. When it is your 15 minutes to shine, it's your 15 minutes!

He made a great play. But lynch wasn't blanketed. He was getting behind the defender. In football, that's open, especially with a fade to the corner. Zero chance for int. It's a low risk throw, while throwing over the line into the middle of a bunched D is a much higher risk. The better throw was to Lynch at the front pylon.

And Idk why people keep bringing up past games. The pats had hardly stopped lynch at all during that game

He made a great play. But lynch wasn't blanketed. He was getting behind the defender. In football, that's open, especially with a fade to the corner. Zero chance for int. It's a low risk throw, while throwing over the line into the middle of a bunched D is a much higher risk. The better throw was to Lynch at the front pylon.

And Idk why people keep bringing up past games. The pats had hardly stopped lynch at all during that game

You can't stop him. And aside from ONE run they contained him. The game plan worked!!

No QB, not a single one, threw an interception on a pass play from the 1 yard line in 2015.  Not one single interception... all year...  all teams...  until...

And Lynch wasn't open. He was blanketed.  As were the other receivers in pattern except Lockette. Lynch's man dropped off him when he saw Wilson had already let the pass go.  And while I post this, I don't agree with the call either.  ) seing the Pats D, I would have tried a quick count QB sneak). But it is true if Lockette ran his route harder/faster he might have caught scored, or if Wilson throws a little better pass. 

SB_Loss_zpscftahnmh.png

SB_Loss2_zpsckzrg6js.png

But let's give credit where credit is due.  A dude working at Popeye's chicken recently made 2 huge plays to save the game for the Pats!  First, on the miraculous Kearse catch.  Butler got up and tackled Kearse before he could himself get up and waltz in to the end zone.  2 plays later, he makes the pick!  An UDFA came in and made not one, but 2 plays at the end of the game.  Seems so unlikely, I have the feeling if Lynch would have run, this kid would have run up and put his hat on the ball and punched it out.  When it is your 15 minutes to shine, it's your 15 minutes!

Ah thanks for digging up all those facts- veeeeeery interesting  <closes the weeds>  If you remember that TV show ;-)

You can't stop him. And aside from ONE run they contained him. The game plan worked!!

Lmbo!!! 102 yards and a TD on 24 carries, 4.3 ypc, is contained? That's some good stuff you're on bro. And you just admitted that they wouldn't have stopped him. Thank you for realizing this.

No QB, not a single one, threw an interception on a pass play from the 1 yard line in 2015.  Not one single interception... all year...  all teams...  until...

SB_Loss_zpscftahnmh.png

SB_Loss2_zpsckzrg6js.png

Holy lawd I'm used to selective stats when it comes to certain quarterbacks but runningbacks now? How about the fact that Lynch had gotten atleast a yard on ever carry last night which was exactly what they needed.

Bottom line ...   END of GAME situation.... 

NE was READY for beast mode....      STACKED...     Seattle...     happy to get a VERY LUCKY BOUNCE ...   once again...    and rolled up on the LOS...    and ...  Russ was not so ...    RUSS..      I guess he is a system QB after all..   ??  

The last sequence of plays are a stellar example of why BB is "the BEST" and Pete C is a "cheerleader" .. 

Totally overwhelmed talent wise ...    and NE WON.    ...       I dig it...

Good for the slow guys.

Holy lawd I'm used to selective stats when it comes to certain quarterbacks but runningbacks now? How about the fact that Lynch had gotten atleast a yard on ever carry last night which was exactly what they needed.

Really?  How about another stat for you then... one that says your claim above is wrong-

***   3rd and 2  SEA 24 (10:14) (Shotgun) 24-M.Lynch up the middle to SEA 24 for no gain (91-J.Collins)   ***

***  3rd and 1   NE 8 (11:51) (Shotgun) 24-M.Lynch left tackle to NE 8 for no gain (50-R.Ninkovich).

Those stats are what they are. When The D knows Lynch only needs one yard for a TD, they stack up the box and stop him between 55-80% of the time.

Besides, I never supported the call, but Carroll isn't the dud of all time because of it either IMHO.  I would have tried a quick QB sneak or a read option play, not a quick slant.  But I am at home watching on TV, not from the sidelines.

Really?  How about another stat for you then... one that says your claim above is wrong-

***   3rd and 2  SEA 24 (10:14) (Shotgun) 24-M.Lynch up the middle to SEA 24 for no gain (91-J.Collins)   ***

***  3rd and 1   NE 8 (11:51) (Shotgun) 24-M.Lynch left tackle to NE 8 for no gain (50-R.Ninkovich).

Those stats are what they are. When The D knows Lynch only needs one yard for a TD, they stack up the box and stop him between 55-80% of the time.

Besides, I never supported the call, but Carroll isn't the dud of all time because of it either IMHO.  I would have tried a quick QB sneak or a read option play, not a quick slant.  But I am at home watching on TV, not from the sidelines.

New England has the worst short-yardage run defense in the NFL. 

If you wanna get cute, try the read option play. The edge of the Pats defense is actually the weak point, especially if they're selling out to stop the run. Then the ball is in Wilson's hands with a chance to either run it in (which I think is the outcome), or you've moved the defense completely and might have a wide open receiver again (like Baldwin earlier). That's actually probably the most likely play to succeed right there. 

Really? How about another stat for you then... one that says your claim above is wrong-

*** 3rd and 2 SEA 24 (10:14) (Shotgun) 24-M.Lynch up the middle to SEA 24 for no gain (91-J.Collins) ***

*** 3rd and 1 NE 8 (11:51) (Shotgun) 24-M.Lynch left tackle to NE 8 for no gain (50-R.Ninkovich).

Besides, I never supported the call, but Carroll isn't the dud of all time because of it either IMHO. I would have tried a quick QB sneak or a read option play, not a quick slant. But I am at home watching on TV, not from the sidelines.

ESPN Radio said he'd not lost a yard all night. Even if you are correct, he'd just gotten a few yards the carry before and had 3 chances to get 1 more yard. And also ummmmmm Dustin what said.

ESPN Radio said he'd not lost a yard all night. Even if you are correct, he'd just gotten a few yards the carry before and had 3 chances to get 1 more yard. And also ummmmmm Dustin what said.

ESPN was right, never lost a yard.  He was stopped for no gain twice though. And in 2006 the Colts fielded the seventh worst rush defense in NFL history in a run to the Super Bowl. Nobody knows what would have happened.  And I'm a fan of RW sneaking it in if He can catch them off guard on a quick count, otherwise run the read option.

ESPN was right, never lost a yard.  He was stopped for no gain twice though. And in 2006 the Colts fielded the seventh worst rush defense in NFL history in a run to the Super Bowl. Nobody knows what would have happened.  And I'm a fan of RW sneaking it in if He can catch them off guard on a quick count, otherwise run the read option.

Are you playing devil's advocate, or do you really think a run play with Lynch would have been a bad call?

Are you playing devil's advocate, or do you really think a run play with Lynch would have been a bad call?

Not completely. Probably worth a shot. But with that O personnel grouping, the Pats goal line bigs in and keying on Lynch, I feel it is likely less than 50% Lynch makes it in and Seattle has to call time out, then come out and throw on 3rd down.  This based on earlier situations in the game and historical performance. I'm not for that slant, but to tell the truth, that was actually the perfect call for that D grouping/alignment with the O group Carroll had out there.  And there were NO interceptions, none, this whole year by every team combined, on pass plays from the one yard line.  Zero. Seahawks just executed the slant/rub poorly and Butler read it and drove on the ball.  That's what separates winners from losers.

But I know what every single person would have bet on had they gave Lynch 3 chances.

But the clock was running and there was only 25 seconds left at the snap. There is no physical time for Lynch to get the ball 3 times.  If he doesn't get in, the Seahawks have to burn their last time out with less than 20 seconds to go.  Now they probably have to throw. If they run again and don't punch it in, they likely can't get un-piled and reset for another last attempt.  There was no guaranteed TD there, as much as everyone thinks there was.

I stand by my statement that for the O group that was out there and the Goal line group the Pats had out there, the play that was called was the best play available.  But my stance is that they should not have run out that offense grouping,  Should have went read option group, or go Bigs, but sneak on a quick count.  If it fails, call timeout and re-group.

Not completely. Probably worth a shot. But with that O personnel grouping, the Pats goal line bigs in and keying on Lynch, I feel it is likely less than 50% Lynch makes it in and Seattle has to call time out, then come out and throw on 3rd down.  This based on earlier situations in the game and historical performance. I'm not for that slant, but to tell the truth, that was actually the perfect call for that D grouping/alignment with the O group Carroll had out there.  And there were NO interceptions, none, this whole year by every team combined, on pass plays from the one yard line.  Zero. Seahawks just executed the slant/rub poorly and Butler read it and drove on the ball.  That's what separates winners from losers.

The last time the Pats had a situation like that in the SB, they let the back walk into the end zone so they could get the ball back. No guarantee that happens in this situation, but they didn't even get to find out.

http://www.predictionmachine.com/Live/IndividualGame.aspx?lgid=13571

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-ewing/gamechanging-plays-super-bowl_b_6593970.html

According to that, the Seahawks had a win probability of 64% after Lynch's carry. With an incomplete pass, it would have gone down to 57%. It's just a bad strategy, even though the Seahawks and Lynch hadn't been great from 1 yard out.

And yes, the Pats had loaded up to stop the run (probably wouldn't have let him walk in like they did with Bradshaw), but the Seahawks could have attacked the edge, tried a sweep, a toss, read option, etc. I obviously can't see the future, but everything I saw makes me think they could have simply lined up and crammed it down the Pats throats. 

The last time the Pats had a situation like that in the SB, they let the back walk into the end zone so they could get the ball back. No guarantee that happens in this situation, but they didn't even get to find out.

http://www.predictionmachine.com/Live/IndividualGame.aspx?lgid=13571

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-ewing/gamechanging-plays-super-bowl_b_6593970.html

According to that, the Seahawks had a win probability of 64% after Lynch's carry. With an incomplete pass, it would have gone down to 57%. It's just a bad strategy, even though the Seahawks and Lynch hadn't been great from 1 yard out.

And yes, the Pats had loaded up to stop the run (probably wouldn't have let him walk in like they did with Bradshaw), but the Seahawks could have attacked the edge, tried a sweep, a toss, read option, etc. I obviously can't see the future, but everything I saw makes me think they could have simply lined up and crammed it down the Pats throats. 

If Bill wanted to let them walk in and save time, he would have called TO after Lynch got to the one.  He let the clock tick and threw in his goal line D knowing it's Lynch time.  Mano a mano. .  Now what Pete didn't do is run his read option grouping out there, or his his own large package, beats the heck out of me why not.  They  could have tried to attack the Achilles of the Pats run D.  But not with the group they actually sent out there. 

Lmbo!!! 102 yards and a TD on 24 carries, 4.3 ypc, is contained? That's some good stuff you're on bro. And you just admitted that they wouldn't have stopped him. Thank you for realizing this.

I think you missed it. Its not about stats. It's about "containing" the best RB because you're not going to stop him cold no matter what.

Clearly you could see that was the game plan with the swarm. They stopped him at least twice on short yardage on 3rd even I think.

He did not have any significant breakout runs.  He had no short catches for large after the catch yards. Watch the game- that's the only way you contain a great RB. Now watch what he did in the Packers game.

The rest of the plan was spy Wilson and let him beat you (which he almost did) and not Lynch.

This is not even remotely the first time a game plan was employed to,once again, contain the threat.

No different than teams in the past contained Gronk. He'll get a few but he won't break the game open.

You don't stop a great player- you contain him so the damage is minimal. Football 102 my friend ;)

I think that's a pretty good take on the whole play. 

Not that Superman's options aren't valid but they too aren't guaranteed.

But the clock was running and there was only 25 seconds left at the snap. There is no physical time for Lynch to get the ball 3 times. If he doesn't get in, the Seahawks have to burn their last time out with less than 20 seconds to go. Now they probably have to throw. If they run again and don't punch it in, they likely can't get un-piled and reset for another last attempt. There was no guaranteed TD there, as much as everyone thinks there was.

I stand by my statement that for the O group that was out there and the Goal line group the Pats had out there, the play that was called was the best play available. But my stance is that they should not have run out that offense grouping, Should have went read option group, or go Bigs, but sneak on a quick count. If it fails, call timeout and re-group.

They had a timeout and you've forgot about spiking it.

They had a timeout and you've forgot about spiking it.

No, I didn't- 

"... If he doesn't get in, the Seahawks have to burn their last time out with less than 20 seconds to go  "

No reason to burn most all of the last seconds off trying to clock the ball and wasting a down to go with it. So  It's 3rd down and lets say 18 seconds, clock stopped.  If you run again and fail to punch it in, There's a very good chance that the teams don't un-pile in time for the them to get lined back up on the LOS  and the Refs set the ball for play.  If you want two plays, you probably have to throw on 3rd down,  That way if it is not  caught or intercepted (sealing a win one way or the other), the clock stops and there is time for one last play on fourth down.  Run or pass, for all of the marbles.

I guess I am having difficulty seeing where clocking the ball is a wise choice with 25 seconds, 1 timeout, and 3 downs left.

See, I really wasn't.  I had a real opinion on the subject. This morning I awake to find this article...

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/02/02/statistically-seahawks-play-call-not-bad-you-think/9Tt9A9avhWuaZGXBlTdTDI/story.html

I thought I was the only one to see that angle.

No, I didn't-

"... If he doesn't get in, the Seahawks have to burn their last time out with less than 20 seconds to go "

No reason to burn most all of the last seconds off trying to clock the ball and wasting a down to go with it. So It's 3rd down and lets say 18 seconds, clock stopped. If you run again and fail to punch it in, There's a very good chance that the teams don't un-pile in time for the them to get lined back up on the LOS and the Refs set the ball for play. If you want two plays, you probably have to throw on 3rd down, That way if it is not caught or intercepted (sealing a win one way or the other), the clock stops and there is time for one last play on fourth down. Run or pass, for all of the marbles.

I guess I am having difficulty seeing where clocking the ball is a wise choice with 25 seconds, 1 timeout, and 3 downs left.

Anything is wiser than the call they made. And quit acting like Lynch wouldn't have gotten in smh...

Anything is wiser than the call they made. And quit acting like Lynch wouldn't have gotten in smh...

I'm not on record supporting that call, so you can find me stating that I did or you can take your straw man back down.  As far as Lynch getting in, we just do not know.  So quit acting like Lynch would have gotten in.  You cannot prove with certainty he would have. Now smh.

Even Bevell in hindsight says-

"Of course I can say now I wish we had done something different. There are 20 different things going through my mind that we can do. If you run it, that doesn't mean you would score on that play."

There were only 3 short yardage plays in this game (2 yards or less) where Seattle called on Lynch to convert on 3rd down.  Here they are-

3rd and 2  SEA 24 (10:14) (Shotgun) 24-M.Lynch up the middle to SEA 24 for no gain (91-J.Collins).  Punt

3rd and 2  NE 3 (2:22) (Shotgun) 24-M.Lynch right tackle for 3 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

3rd and 1  NE 8 (11:51) (Shotgun) 24-M.Lynch left tackle to NE 8 for no gain (50-R.Ninkovich). Field Goal

That's 33% success rate this game short yardage..  This year from the 1 yard line Lynch had 1 TD, 2 runs for no gain, 2 runs for a loss.  That's 20% success.  In the post season Lynch from the 1 yard line is 1 for 4!  That's 25%

Based upon this information,  I feel his chances were less than 50% he would have scored.  Especially that particular Seattle O group versus Pats Goal line D with 3 corners.  And you cannot say he without a doubt would.

I'm not on record supporting that call, so you can find me stating that I did or you can take your straw man back down. As far as Lynch getting in, we just do not know. So quit acting like Lynch would have gotten in. You cannot prove with certainty he would have. Now smh.

Even Bevell in hindsight says-

"Of course I can say now I wish we had done something different. There are 20 different things going through my mind that we can do. If you run it, that doesn't mean you would score on that play."

There were only 3 short yardage plays in this game (2 yards or less) where Seattle called on Lynch to convert on 3rd down. Here they are-

3rd and 2 SEA 24 (10:14) (Shotgun) 24-M.Lynch up the middle to SEA 24 for no gain (91-J.Collins). Punt

3rd and 2 NE 3 (2:22) (Shotgun) 24-M.Lynch right tackle for 3 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

3rd and 1 NE 8 (11:51) (Shotgun) 24-M.Lynch left tackle to NE 8 for no gain (50-R.Ninkovich). Field Goal

That's 33% success rate this game short yardage.. This year from the 1 yard line Lynch had 1 TD, 2 runs for no gain, 2 runs for a loss. That's 20% success. In the post season Lynch from the 1 yard line is 1 for 4! That's 25%

Based upon this information, I feel his chances were less than 50% he would have scored. Especially that particular Seattle O group versus Pats Goal line D with 3 corners. And you cannot say he without a doubt would.

I'm not acting. I'm telling the truth. He would have gotten in. Why don't you list all the other plays and underline texts and put things in italics and bold too?

Not that stats even matter...they call him Beastmode because of what he does in clutch situations more than anything else. I don't care if hed had negative 50 yards on the day. From 1 yard out on the final play of the game he's guaranteed.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to be vague so's not to mess up my friendship with the Seattle football player I'm friends with. I just spoke to him for the first time since the call...he's a part of the 98% side of this debate lol! Before you call bee ess, remember that I've posted how I know several football players who all have 1 thing in common. We're hardly besties up in here but I consider these guys friends.

I'm not acting. I'm telling the truth. He would have gotten in. Why don't you list all the other plays and underline texts and put things in italics and bold too?

Not that stats even matter...they call him Beastmode because of what he does in clutch situations more than anything else. I don't care if hed had negative 50 yards on the day. From 1 yard out on the final play of the game he's guaranteed.

No play in football is a guarantee especially at the one.

From 1 yard out on the final play of the game he's guaranteed.

no, he's not. First of all, anyone who has played this sport knows that nothing is guaranteed, and secondly on that 2nd down play the Patriots had the advantage personnel wise with a heavy goal line package against the Seahawks 3 WR package.

From an X and O standpoint, Seattle was completely outmatched against the run which is why they went for the pass.

Stats back it up and the fundamentals of football back it up and suggest that a run in that situation would have been shut down. That would have given them a 3rd down and 0 timeouts with about 18 seconds left in the game, which means they would have been passing on 3rd down anyways to get 2 plays in, because running it with no timeouts on 3rd would run out the clock by the time the pile of bodies got off of Lynch if he doesn't score.

They had to attempt a pass in that set of downs to ensure they got 4 plays in. they chose 2nd down because they had a favorable advantage as opposed to the run which they were schematically at a significant disadvantage with less bodies than there were defenders.

You can argue that Lynch would have theoritcally scored on 3rd or 4th down with the proper goal line personnel all you want, but to guarantee he would have scored on that 2nd down play had they just handed it off instead shows a lack of understanding for personnel and scheme concepts.

At the end of the day, the Pats executed and Seattle did not. The Pats were the better team that day and Russel Wilson has his first loss to a SB winning QB at 10-1

It was guaranteed. The more you try to justify it and rationalize it, the more obvious it is.

It was as guaranteed as much as Butler making a pick on a slant was. Anything can happen on any play. And Lynch had been stopped from the 1 four out of five times this season. Hardly a guarantee he could have scored BUT the probability was much higher I think than any pass play from that position. So I will agree there.

It was guaranteed. The more you try to justify it and rationalize it, the more obvious it is.

Likely, but far from guaranteed. If the Seahawks hadn't wasted 2 of their timeouts earlier in the drive they would have had total control over the situation.....nobody to blame but themselves.