Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

"The Call"-Darrell Bevell

I know boards are a way to vent, and after a loss like that, if I was Seattle I would not want to even listen, watch or hear about football until start of training camp next year. Otherwise I would only be reminded of "The Call" as it will go down in history.

I found two things interesting after the game and looking at the Seashawks forum, since I wanted to get an idea of what there forum is like compared to ours after a loss where we believe the coaching was suspect at best.

First, Seahawk fans do not like the OC, Darrell Bevell, and it is apparent it was not just this one play. It seems they do not like his play calling the whole year. From my view point, it would be hard considering after losing Tate and Harvin the weapons they have. Lynch is their best weapon. So I don't understand why they did not use him. Carroll said it was due to NE's defensive setup. I don't care, you have 3 chances and 1 yard. You don't run a slant, especially if it is a play your team likes, and NE was ready for it. NE goal line D basically put Bevell in a box where he felt that was the best call, and Carroll backed him. I stand by 3 runs. No one is going to stop Lynch 3 times from the one. Back to Bevell. I thought it was bad how bad we rake Pep over the coals. It is apparent they really dislike him as an OC, and due to the nature and time of this call, you are going to hear fans calling for his head the next couple of months.

Second, the one thing I really did not like was Bevell throwing Lockette under the bus after the game. He said the receiver should have been more physical. If you look at the play right before the ball is snapped, it looks like a good play call, Lockette was open, the CB made a great break and play on the ball. The fact Bevell said anything about the receiver I really did not like, even if it was the truth. Maybe he could have been more physical, but you are the coach. You take the blame for the plays and the results. Don't throw your player under the bus, otherwise it becomes a really good way to lose a lockerroom and the player's trust.

T

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw Bruce Irvin interview and it appears there is a lot of head scratching in the locker room. Pete will need all his leaders to bring back the locker room.

Gimmie a break.

Belichick went a decade without winning a Super Bowl, and his two SB losses were games his team could've won.   But he never lost the locker-room

Carroll won't either.

Gimmie a break.

Belichick went a decade without winning a Super Bowl, and his two SB losses were games his team could've won.   But he never lost the locker-room

Carroll won't either.

I agree- too many jump too quick :)

Not talking about Carroll, and I am not talking about the play call. My point is he threw Lockette under the bus. As a coach, you take credit or except blame for a call. Players do not respond to coaches who blame others. Belichick could have won two more yes, and both losses were by a field goal. In the SB in Indy against NY, NE probably wins if Welker makes that one catch with around 4 minutes to go. Did you hear Belichick throw Welker under the bus. One of the things I admire about Belichick is all he teaches is team, and he wins because he plans out each player's role. Very few coaches can do this.

Gimmie a break.

Carroll won't either.

But how many playoff games in that stretch did the Patriots lose as a result of a bad call by Belichick or someone else? Nothing really jumps to mind...

But how many playoff games in that stretch did the Patriots lose as a result of a bad call by Belichick or someone else? Nothing really jumps to mind...

Well....  off the top of my head,  in the playoff game in Indy,  Belichick went for the first down on 4th and 2 from his own roughly 25, give or take...   which didn't work and led to an Indy win.

But Carroll is the driving force of that team.   And he's taking responsibility for the call and the loss.    If he cost them a Super Bowl win it's been his drive that helped them get there for the 2nd year in a row.

These are his players.   He's not going to lose them.   The players will get over this.   As Marshawn Lynch himself said when asked who was to blame....   "No one,  football is a team game."

Only one even close is that 4th & 2 call against the Colts back a long time ago, but that was a regular season game if I recall.

Well....  off the top of my head,  in the playoff game in Indy,  Belichick went for the first down on 4th and 2 from his own roughly 25, give or take...   which didn't work and led to an Indy win.

But Carroll is the driving force of that team.   And he's taking responsibility for the call and the loss.    If he cost them a Super Bowl win it's been his drive that helped them get there for the 2nd year in a row.

These are his players.   He's not going to lose them.   The players will get over this.   As Marshawn Lynch himself said when asked who was to blame....   "No one,  football is a team game."

I still think it was a bad call by Belichick to go for it on 4th and 2, but that was a regular season game.

Seeing that play reminded me of a few games the Bills lost due to them not giving the ball to Lynch, like the 2008 Jets game...

He called an all out blitz vs the giants and left a small CB on 6'6 Plaxico Burress....game winning TD and game over.

He called an all out blitz vs the giants and left a small CB on 6'6 Plaxico Burress....game winning TD and game over.

Based on how Eli just lobbed it up, I thought it was going to sail through the back of the end zone, and started to think "Really Eli? What kind of throw was that?". Then all of a sudden "Wow, Plax is wide open! No way!"

Well.... off the top of my head, in the playoff game in Indy, Belichick went for the first down on 4th and 2 from his own roughly 25, give or take... which didn't work and led to an Indy win.

But Carroll is the driving force of that team. And he's taking responsibility for the call and the loss. If he cost them a Super Bowl win it's been his drive that helped them get there for the 2nd year in a row.

These are his players. He's not going to lose them. The players will get over this. As Marshawn Lynch himself said when asked who was to blame.... "No one, football is a team game."

That was week 9. Seattle won't be like the Patriots, now they have to start paying the bill as well as overpaying for past success. This is also where the colts will be this time next year (paying the bills, hopefully not gift wrapping superbowls)

No he shouldn't. All coaches make mistakes. While I didn't like the call, Wilson could have thrown it more into the receivers body.

If he just threw it low at his knees there is no way Butler gets his hands on it. Wilson was staring right at Butler jumping the route. You either throw it low or slight behind so only your guy can get it. You don't lead him with the DB standing right there. It really was the perfect storm. Bad play call, poor throw and great play by a rookie DB.

If he just threw it low at his knees there is no way Butler gets his hands on it. Wilson was staring right at Butler jumping the route. You either throw it low or slight behind so only your guy can get it. You don't lead him with the DB standing right there. It really was the perfect storm. Bad play call, poor throw and great play by a rookie DB.

It was meant to be, AMF.

Football Gods made it.

It's astonishing how one play can brand a coach a genius or an *. Everybody in the building expected Lynch to get the ball, including all 11 Patriot defenders. That defense was stacked against the run! It is not a foregone conclusion that Lynch would have been able to run it in. What if he loses yardage on the run? A slant pass is generally a safe play. IMO, Wilson executed the play poorly, and the Patriots defender made a great play. If Wilson completed the pass everyone would be hailing Pete Carroll and his OC as geniuses for catching the Patriots with their pants down. Plays are brilliant because they are unexpected and buck conventional wisdom. I applaud Seattle for a gutsy call. It turned out disasterous because of execution, which is not in the coaches' control.

I know boards are a way to vent, and after a loss like that, if I was Seattle I would not want to even listen, watch or hear about football until start of training camp next year. Otherwise I would only be reminded of "The Call" as it will go down in history.

I found two things interesting after the game and looking at the Seashawks forum, since I wanted to get an idea of what there forum is like compared to ours after a loss where we believe the coaching was suspect at best.

First, Seahawk fans do not like the OC, Darrell Bevell, and it is apparent it was not just this one play. It seems they do not like his play calling the whole year. From my view point, it would be hard considering after losing Tate and Harvin the weapons they have. Lynch is their best weapon. So I don't understand why they did not use him. Carroll said it was due to NE's defensive setup. I don't care, you have 3 chances and 1 yard. You don't run a slant, especially if it is a play your team likes, and NE was ready for it. NE goal line D basically put Bevell in a box where he felt that was the best call, and Carroll backed him. I stand by 3 runs. No one is going to stop Lynch 3 times from the one. Back to Bevell. I thought it was bad how bad we rake Pep over the coals. It is apparent they really dislike him as an OC, and due to the nature and time of this call, you are going to hear fans calling for his head the next couple of months.

Second, the one thing I really did not like was Bevell throwing Lockette under the bus after the game. He said the receiver should have been more physical. If you look at the play right before the ball is snapped, it looks like a good play call, Lockette was open, the CB made a great break and play on the ball. The fact Bevell said anything about the receiver I really did not like, even if it was the truth. Maybe he could have been more physical, but you are the coach. You take the blame for the plays and the results. Don't throw your player under the bus, otherwise it becomes a really good way to lose a lockerroom and the player's trust.

T

On 2nd down, when they decided to bleed the clock (and BB not calling a time out), they gave themselves only one chance to run it, with only 1 time out left. Two at a push. From the 1st down, run, run, throw, then take your pick on 4th down if you've not scored, would have been the better option. But I'm no coach, and under no pressure.

Hindsight.

Still think NE not calling a TO helped seal the win.....

It's astonishing how one play can brand a coach a genius or an *. Everybody in the building expected Lynch to get the ball, including all 11 Patriot defenders. That defense was stacked against the run! It is not a foregone conclusion that Lynch would have been able to run it in. What if he loses yardage on the run? A slant pass is generally a safe play. IMO, Wilson executed the play poorly, and the Patriots defender made a great play. If Wilson completed the pass everyone would be hailing Pete Carroll and his OC as geniuses for catching the Patriots with their pants down. Plays are brilliant because they are unexpected and buck conventional wisdom. I applaud Seattle for a gutsy call. It turned out disasterous because of execution, which is not in the coaches' control.

In that situation, with that much time, and a time out in your pocket you would run a SLANT route on the goal line? You wouldn't try at least 2 times to run the ball with beast mode? Sorry, you're in the vast vast minority. Appreciate your honesty but with the Super Bowl on the line I can't think of many coaches, if any, who would have risked a pass with 1 yard to get and plenty of time and ability to get it with the run.

No he shouldn't. All coaches make mistakes. While I didn't like the call, Wilson could have thrown it more into the receivers body.

Maybe his height finally caught up to him. He had to get it high enough over his line. Since hes shorter he couldn't get it on more of a down angle more, thus the ball is at the receivers head. I don't think he could have gotten it into his gut after watching it.

That wasn't a playoff game when Bellichick did the 4th down play from the 25.  I do agree it was highly scrutinized though. I just doubt he would have done that in a playoff game, or the Superbowl.

Lockette ran the route poor, It was the right call in that circumstance with everyone up at the LOS and only 1 linebacker to get behind, It was also a good throw that looked bad because of the poor route ran, Lockette should have slanted harder than he did and exploded out of his cut, Bevell was right

Lockette ran the route poor, It was the right call in that circumstance with everyone up at the LOS and only 1 linebacker to get behind, It was also a good throw that looked bad because of the poor route ran, Lockette should have slanted harder than he did and exploded out of his cut, Bevell was right

very similiar, in a way, to the Manning pick in the Super Bowl against the Saints

It would be the right call with anyone other than Lynch.  I don't care that they lined up to stack the box.  Theres no way that Lynch doesnt get a yard to the inside or outside.  Carroll talks about the look, but the play was called before they ever got the look.  Plus the OC's excuse doesnt make sense either.  He says that they were trying to use up as much time as possible.  A pass there doesn't make sense, either a TD or incomplete stops the clock.  A Run that gets stopped will kill the clock, then you can use a timeout and have two run plays ready and just go back to back. 

There's no explaining this one away.

On 2nd down, when they decided to bleed the clock (and BB not calling a time out), they gave themselves only one chance to run it, with only 1 time out left. Two at a push. From the 1st down, run, run, throw, then take your pick on 4th down if you've not scored, would have been the better option. But I'm no coach, and under no pressure.

Hindsight.

Still think NE not calling a TO helped seal the win.....

I agree, very astute observation on your part. I think Seattle expected Belichick to take a time out. But he quickly made up his mind to go for the goal-line stand instead of trying to save time (which was probably the right choice, given the lack of ticks left). 

When that happened it was almost like the Seahawks didn't quite know what to do. And they got too cute. 

I disagreed with the play call for several reasons.  Yeah, everyone expected Lynch to get the ball.  That happens alot and teams still have a hard time stopping it.  So why go away from that?  It was 1 yard.  Second, I didn't hate the idea of calling a pass play, but you had enough time.  I would have run the ball, if I didn't get in, call time out.  Then you can pass the football if you want on 3rd down.  Also, out of all the potential pass plays, why the heck didn't they go with a read option?  You've got the best read option QB in the league, if you aren't going with your bread and butter and ram Marshawn down the defense's throat, go to your second best play if ou want to throw it.  Russell could have scrambled or even thrown it out of the back of the endzone.  Not only that, but if you are going to pass the football with no play action, throw a corner fade or a crossing route toward the back of the endzone.  As long as you don't under throw it, and especially if you're throwing to Matthews, it's not going to get picked off unless its tipped or something.  But even then, it could go out of bounds and if you overthrow it, big deal, it's also out of bounds. 

Thats a bad call...obviously....but the blame falls on the head coach. He may not have called the play but Carroll listens to all the play calls.....easily should have nixed that call....easy! I know the idea of throwing and then having two chances to run but that was a bad call. The players even didn't get lined up right...clearly it wasn't a play they practiced a lot or expected to run there. No reason in my mind and if you wanted to pass you could roll Russell out and give him a run/pass option...if it isn't there throw it into the second row....likely he could have just scampered in but throwing it over the middle where if its tipped it can bounce up etc... not a good play selection. Pete will live with that one forever....not his OC. Because Pete ok'd the call.

Horrible play call. 

Everyone on the planet (except the Seabirds OC) would've handed off to Lynch. I mean seriously......it's 2nd down. You have 3 more chances to punch it in with a guy who had yet to have a negative run. You could even put another O-Lineman in there.

If you you are stuck on throwing, why not throw a jump ball or a fade to Chris Matthews? He'd been beating the CB's all night? 

Or fake the handoff to Lynch and throw it to him? 

Heck use Pats play against them and throw to an OL. 

It would be the right call with anyone other than Lynch.  I don't care that they lined up to stack the box.  Theres no way that Lynch doesnt get a yard to the inside or outside.  Carroll talks about the look, but the play was called before they ever got the look.  Plus the OC's excuse doesnt make sense either.  He says that they were trying to use up as much time as possible.  A pass there doesn't make sense, either a TD or incomplete stops the clock.  A Run that gets stopped will kill the clock, then you can use a timeout and have two run plays ready and just go back to back. 

There's no explaining this one away.

you play the look the defense gives you, They gave a look that dictated pass

you play the look the defense gives you, They gave a look that dictated pass

...The play call was already in before they even lined up to see what the D gave them.  There is no look at all, with Marshawn Lynch, that dictates a pass.  Furthermore, on that play, Lynch was open to the corner of the endzone.  Could have thrown to him instead of into traffic. 

Horrible play call. 

Everyone on the planet (except the Seabirds OC) would've handed off to Lynch. I mean seriously......it's 2nd down. You have 3 more chances to punch it in with a guy who had yet to have a negative run. You could even put another O-Lineman in there.

If you you are stuck on throwing, why not throw a jump ball or a fade to Chris Matthews? He'd been beating the CB's all night? 

Or fake the handoff to Lynch and throw it to him? 

Heck use Pats play against them and throw to an OL. 

Ya, Lynch was wide open to the corner of the endzone.  Should have thrown it to him.  But why pass it to lynch when you didnt want to give him the ball to begin with.