Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Scouting Profile: Tevin Coleman, RB, Indiana

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No.   I'm not saying that at all.

I'm saying your write-up is different than the McShay crew, and yet you say it's almost the same.   Your words were that in some cases, it's almost identical.

I asked where did the McShay crew write ANYTHING close to what you wrote in "The Bad" section of your write-up...

They didn't.

Oh, well, they kind of did, but they just didn't say it as negatively.

ex. I said "Don't see anything special as an inside runner. Doesn't posses special vision"

They said "Will miss an occasional crease but more exception than rule."

I said "Upright runner"

They said "however, he is high-cut and runs high when he isn't taking on defenders in a phone booth"

I said "Average elusiveness and lateral agility."

They said " but he's not an ankle-breaker in the open field."

Seems like they're just being a lot more positive about the negative aspects then I am. 

Oh, well, they kind of did, but they just didn't say it as negatively.

ex. I said "Don't see anything special as an inside runner. Doesn't posses special vision"

They said "Will miss an occasional crease but more exception than rule."

I said "Upright runner"

They said "however, he is high-cut and runs high when he isn't taking on defenders in a phone booth"

I said "Average elusiveness and lateral agility."

They said " but he's not an ankle-breaker in the open field."

Seems like they're just being a lot more positive about the negative aspects then I am. 

Saying he doesn't possess special vision and you don't see anything special about him is not the same as saying "Misses an occasional hole, but its the exception not the rule". In-fact, find me one back, any back, who doesn't miss the occasional hole. I'll be here all day. 

Saying he doesn't possess special vision and you don't see anything special about him is not the same as saying "Misses an occasional hole, but its the exception not the rule". In-fact, find me one back, any back, who doesn't miss the occasional hole. I'll be here all day. 

Trent Richardson. Boom. 

To be serious, it's more than occasional, which is why it's in the scouting report to begin with. Every RB misses a hole sometimes, but that note isn't in very RBs scouting report is it? 

Trent Richardson. Boom. 

To be serious, it's more than occasional, which is why it's in the scouting report to begin with. Every RB misses a hole sometimes, but that note isn't in very RBs scouting report is it? 

"Its the exception, not the rule"

So we just proved right there you and McShay are saying different things. 

If you miss on 49 of 100 runs, you typically wouldn't use the "its the exception not the rule" saying. Thats typically used to describe something that doesn't happen a lot. 

You haven't answered my other question. If Coleman only misses the "occasional hole" and every RB misses the "occasional hole" then how come that note isn't in literally every RB in the drafts scouting report?

You haven't answered my other question. If Coleman only misses the "occasional hole" and every RB misses the "occasional hole" then how come that note isn't in literally every RB in the drafts scouting report?

Because he isn't elite vision wise, and thats an area that can be improved on. However, to say he struggled with it is incorrect. He received a 2 from McShay in the vision category which is above average. McShay certainly didn't word it to make his vision sound like a weakness. 

Because he isn't elite vision wise, and thats an area that can be improved on. However, to say he struggled with it is incorrect. He received a 2 from McShay in the vision category which is above average. McShay certainly didn't word it to make his vision sound like a weakness. 

What did McShay give Trent Richardson in the vision category? 

When a guy like Coleman, 6' and 210, and seemingly very fast, and he picks up yardage in giant chunks 30, 40, 50 yards at a time... I think the chances of him falling out of the top-100 players (three rounds) is virtually nil.

I think the only way he falls out of the top-100 is if he gets seriously hurt between now and the draft,  or if he has a terrible off the field issue.    But, the character issues all seem to say he's a great kid off the field, liked by teammates and coaches.

By the way,  he's all over YouTube....   but here's just one 2:00 clip of him...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4_8vtZyr8Y

Also...

If he's averaging only 6-7 yards per reception, (only 400 career yards)  I don't view that as a Coleman issue.   A guy running for 2000 yards this year,  who looks like Chris Johnson...  that tells me it's an Indiana coaches and teammates issue.    They don't know how to get him the ball in space and block for him as a receiver.     A guy like that should have no trouble turning a short pass into a long gain, unless there are issues with the QB and OL.

Apparently I need to go watch more film on this guy, because I'm missing a lot. The lack of talent around him definitely works into the equation, but the vision in traffic is what has me worried. That's something that is more instinctual and less learned.

By the way, he's all over YouTube.... but here's just one 2:00 clip of him...

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4_8vtZyr8Y]https://www.youtube.com/wat

Awesome highlight reel and it really shows the areas that he excels in, but it's a highlight reel and they can make anyone look amazing. They don't show the majority of plays where he gets held to 2-3 yds.

Previous Installments:

Todd Gurley, RB, Georgia

Melvin Gordon, RB, Wisconsin

Jay Ajayi, RB, Boise State

Duke Johnson, RB, Miami

T.J. Yeldon, RB, Alabama

Ameer Abdullah, RB, Nebraska

5-tevin-coleman-rb-indiana_pg_600.jpg

Games watched: vs Indiana State, vs Ohio State

The Good: 

Speed is top notch. 

ex. http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=253327&gif=GreenBonyAmericanratsnake

Good size. 6'1" 210 lbs. 

Can run with power. Always falls forward.

Sets up blocks well. 

The Bad: 

Don't see anything special as an inside runner. Doesn't posses special vision or explosiveness in traffic. 

Constantly lowers his head when running between the tackles. Bracing for impact when he should be looking for running lanes.

Average elusiveness and lateral agility. 

Production outside the tackles really trumps production on the inside. 

Needs to build up a head of steam to actually hit that elite speed. 

A ton of production on runs he wont have a chance of in the NFL. He seemingly busted out 2-3 large runs (I'm talking 40-50 yarders) a game. Reliant on big plays. 

The Ugly:

Only ~400 receiving yards in college. Horrible yards per reception.

Upright runner. 

Conclusion: 

Well, I like Coleman more than I did during my preliminary scouting. My overall opinion of him hasn't changed much really. He's a fast, yet not overly explosive power runner who struggles with inside vision and panics when the play breaks down. His penchant for big plays probably won't continue in the NFL and if you're a team that drafts him you have to think you can improve his quick vision and decision making.

Prospect Rank: 6

Projected Round: 4th

NFL Comparison: He's a weird Demarco Murray-Chris Johnson hybrid, but doesn't do the things those guys do as well as they do.

That's it for runningbacks. On to WRs next. 

falls too 4 round  yes we get him.  o'line men first then d'line men.then rest.

Apparently I need to go watch more film on this guy, because I'm missing a lot. The lack of talent around him definitely works into the equation, but the vision in traffic is what has me worried. That's something that is more instinctual and less learned.

Awesome highlight reel and it really shows the areas that he excels in, but it's a highlight reel and they can make anyone look amazing. They don't show the majority of plays where he gets held to 2-3 yds.

he one the slowest running back in the draft.

this is speed T.J. Yeldon*, RB, Alabama 

Height: 6-2. Weight: 221. 

Projected 40 Time: 4.42. 

I don't know that answer,  but everyone missed on Trent.

Not just the Colts, and not just the Browns.

I don't recall any stories when Trent was taken 3rd overall saying the Browns were crazy for taking a RB that high.

He was thought to be a tremendous talent,  and if not worth the 3rd pick, certainly a top-10 pick.   

Everyone missed on him.    I don't know why?    I hope the truth comes out somewhere down the road and I'd love to know,  but everyone missed on him.    Hey,  it's the draft,  stuff happens.

Here's a 2nd post to address your question.    After my first post to you, I went back to ESPN.com and found this....   I'm sure you'll laugh at the write-up.    It looks silly now.   But most everyone had a profile like this for Trent.    I don't recall seeing a profile that said "bust" on him....

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/teams/_/team/cle/year/2012/cleveland-browns

For some reason,  the ESPN site is not letting me cut and paste the profile.    So, here is the Browns draft page from 2012.     Simply click on that and click on Trent's name.    You should see the profile.    Every category got a grade of 1 or 2.   The highest marks possible.  

And here's another profile of Trent,  this one from NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/player/trentrichardson/2533032/combine

The worst reviews I saw said this.....

Top-10 talent, but wouldn't take him in the top-10 because RB isn't an important position in today's football.

And some said,  he might not be as good as he seems because playing behind an Alabama line makes players look better than they are....

This reminds me of two years ago when I tried to sway the masses that Manti Te'o was going to be an below-average linebacker in the pros lol

Honestly it was clear even on youtube film that Teo was no superstar.  Guy can't get off a block to save his life.

I was dogging him just as hard as you were.

You are basing your entire evaluation on 2 games? One of which was not an FBS opponent? 

An evaluation needs to be based on what a player is capable of doing, not just what he was asked to do in college. There was NO talent around him at IU. They were playing with like their 4th string QB by the end of the season and Coleman was still dominating. It doesn't sound like IU has particularly great offensive linemen either. 

You are basing your entire evaluation on 2 games? One of which was not an FBS opponent?

An evaluation needs to be based on what a player is capable of doing, not just what he was asked to do in college. There was NO talent around him at IU. They were playing with like their 4th string QB by the end of the season and Coleman was still dominating. It doesn't sound like IU has particularly great offensive linemen either.

I did evaluate what he is capable of doing.

The first film I watched was against Ohio State, which made him look very average. If there's that big of a gap in talent around him, that could be why he struggled a bit against the higher competition.

The tape against Indiana State was completely different and seemed to showcase what he can do. It was a much lower level of competition, but you saw the things that most people rave about.

My concern is still how he would do with a sub-par line in front of him at the highest level of competition.

IU fans man. 

I'm not an IU fan....   only Stanford.

I try to judge the player and only the player....

That's why I have repeatedly down played Stanford players for the Colts to draft since I came here...   Stepfan Taylor,  Chase Thomas,  Ben Gardner,  Shayne Skov,  and on and on...

As a Colts fan,  I care only about the player and not the school....

I'm not an IU fan....   only Stanford.

I try to judge the player and only the player....

That's why I have repeatedly down played Stanford players for the Colts to draft since I came here...   Stepfan Taylor,  Chase Thomas,  Ben Gardner,  Shayne Skov,  and on and on...

As a Colts fan,  I care only about the player and not the school....

I wasn't referring to you. 

Previous Installments:

Todd Gurley, RB, Georgia

Duke Johnson, RB, Miami

T.J. Yeldon, RB, Alabama

The Good: 

Speed is top notch. 

ex. http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=253327&gif=GreenBonyAmericanratsnake

Good size. 6'1" 210 lbs. 

Sets up blocks well. 

The Bad: 

Don't see anything special as an inside runner. Doesn't posses special vision or explosiveness in traffic. 

Constantly lowers his head when running between the tackles. Bracing for impact when he should be looking for running lanes.

A ton of production on runs he wont have a chance of in the NFL. He seemingly busted out 2-3 large runs (I'm talking 40-50 yarders) a game. Reliant on big plays. 

The Ugly:

Upright runner. 

Conclusion: 

Well, I like Coleman more than I did during my preliminary scouting. My overall opinion of him hasn't changed much really. He's a fast, yet not overly explosive power runner who struggles with inside vision and panics when the play breaks down. His penchant for big plays probably won't continue in the NFL and if you're a team that drafts him you have to think you can improve his quick vision and decision making.

NFL Comparison: He's a weird Demarco Murray-Chris Johnson hybrid, but doesn't do the things those guys do as well as they do.

I find myself agreeing with some of your points as I'm watching more of his film.  Nice long speed, but very little elusiveness and he leaves some room for desire as far as running in traffic and tight space.  I'll keep watching, but after some of the small glances I've taken from most of the guys on your list I think the top 3 of the bunch are Gurley, Gordon, and Duke Johnson. I'm still trying to place the rest of them, but for now until I finish watching some more I don't place Coleman as high as Gurley, Gordon, and Duke Johnson.

A couple people have said Coleman is similar to Edge but I don't see the comparison at all unless you are talking about the passing game.  I do like this kids potential in the passing game for sure!  You take that same route Luck threw to Boom Herron going up the sideline against New England and Coleman would have scored.

I havn't watched this guy play but here is my thinking.  It is not likely that IU has a dominate offensive line, certainly nothing like Wisconsin or Alabama.  If this guy is still productive behind that offensive line then I think he's a guy we want to look at.  

Where is he projected to go?

I havn't watched this guy play but here is my thinking.  It is not likely that IU has a dominate offensive line, certainly nothing like Wisconsin or Alabama.  If this guy is still productive behind that offensive line then I think he's a guy we want to look at.  

Where is he projected to go?

2nd-3rd round.

I'm starting to warm up to Coleman the more looks I give him.  What he lacks as an inside, tight traffic type of runner can be made up for in our 2 back system.  He can be paired with another back who has that strong suit.  Coleman has a lot of explosiveness, and I can certainly see him being a threat in the passing game. As long as we continue to add more pieces to this offensive line I think he could work out pretty good with all of our other weapons.

Previous Installments:

Todd Gurley, RB, Georgia

Duke Johnson, RB, Miami

T.J. Yeldon, RB, Alabama

The Good: 

Speed is top notch. 

Good size. 6'1" 210 lbs. 

Sets up blocks well. 

The Bad: 

The Ugly:

Upright runner. 

Conclusion: 

Tevan Coleman CARRIED :IU after Nate S got put on the shelf...    NO QB and IU and TC still ran the ball down folks throats.    Not by accident and NOT because IU has such a spectacular OL.    Tevan is a STUD.

You watch 2 games and decide to make blanket statements on this dude?...   "cannot run between the tackles?" ..   Did you seriously watch any IU game with TC in it?   That is the foundation of IU's ground attack right up the gut.

Sigh...      seriously...   4th round?   I will be clowning you all off season after the draft when he is off the board in the first or second.   He is special.  

Jeezzz

I think Coleman is more ideal for a Zone Blocking scheme stretching runs to the outside.  I think it would be a better fit for him than something running between the tackles.  Would probably be explosive in a zone scheme.

I'm starting to warm up to Coleman the more looks I give him.  What he lacks as an inside, tight traffic type of runner can be made up for in our 2 back system.  He can be paired with another back who has that strong suit.  Coleman has a lot of explosiveness, and I can certainly see him being a threat in the passing game. As long as we continue to add more pieces to this offensive line I think he could work out pretty good with all of our other weapons.

I watch nearly EVERY IU game that is accessible.    Tevan runs between the tackles, off tackle, and oh ..  he is the goal line back.

Dustin is so far off base with this dude it is not funny.      A previous poster brought up the OL?  YES people TC did this at IU ... NOT Wisky or BAMA.      IU.....     and IU lost the only QB they had this season mid season, and a true freshman stepped in and could not throw a 10 yard out.     ...  YET TEVAN STILL BLASTED OPPONENTS.     even the mighty OSU.  to the tune of 228 and 3 scores...  but he can't run with vision?   sigh....

Dustin?   really?

I have been pimping TC for a YEAR now...   and I am stone cold serious when I say I would take him over any back in this draft...   AA being a close second......  

AA might fit Indy better because he is DEADLY out of the backfield but IU did NOT ask TC to be that guy so?    

Go get one of em Grigs...

NCF does homework...    

unlike..........

Man, i thought my TJ Yeldon one was going to be the most controversial lol. I literally said that guy isn't good at anything. 

When a guy like Coleman, 6' and 210, and seemingly very fast, and he picks up yardage in giant chunks 30, 40, 50 yards at a time... I think the chances of him falling out of the top-100 players (three rounds) is virtually nil.

I think the only way he falls out of the top-100 is if he gets seriously hurt between now and the draft,  or if he has a terrible off the field issue.    But, the character issues all seem to say he's a great kid off the field, liked by teammates and coaches.

By the way,  he's all over YouTube....   but here's just one 2:00 clip of him...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4_8vtZyr8Y

Also...

If he's averaging only 6-7 yards per reception, (only 400 career yards)  I don't view that as a Coleman issue.   A guy running for 2000 yards this year,  who looks like Chris Johnson...  that tells me it's an Indiana coaches and teammates issue.    They don't know how to get him the ball in space and block for him as a receiver.     A guy like that should have no trouble turning a short pass into a long gain, unless there are issues with the QB and OL.

I watch nearly EVERY IU game that is accessible.    Tevan runs between the tackles, off tackle, and oh ..  he is the goal line back.

Dustin is so far off base with this dude it is not funny.      A previous poster brought up the OL?  YES people TC did this at IU ... NOT Wisky or BAMA.      IU.....     and IU lost the only QB they had this season mid season, and a true freshman stepped in and could not throw a 10 yard out.     ...  YET TEVAN STILL BLASTED OPPONENTS.     even the mighty OSU.  to the tune of 228 and 3 scores...  but he can't run with vision?   sigh....

Dustin?   really?

I saw a lot of outside breaking zone type runs, and some occasional inside running from the shotgun.

Some of the more inside type runs where the quarterback was under center(particulary against Missouri)

to  me he was getting stuffed quite a bit. But don't take that as me dissing him.