Previous Installments: 

Todd Gurley, RB, Georgia

Melvin Gordon, RB, Wisconsin

Jay Ajayi, RB, Boise State

Duke Johnson, RB, Miami

hi-res-187018448-yeldon-of-the-alabama-c

Games watched: vs Auburn, vs West Virginia, vs Oklahoma

The Good:

Great lateral agility. Make his cuts look effortless. 

Decent speed for a back his size. Probably a 4.4 guy. Can beat defenders around the edges. 

Keeps legs churning on contact.

The Bad:

I wouldn't consider him "good" at much. He's not a homerun threat, nor a power back at the next level.

Awkward body type. He probably would be best off putting on 10-15 lbs. Little too tall for my preferences.

Inconsistent pass blocking. Late to react here and then gives questionable effort:

http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=253348&gif=ScalyCluelessIndianelephant

Taken out by ankle tackles far too much. 

Not shift enough to consistently make people miss at the next level. Great lateral agility, but he doesn't make the most of it. Almost non-existent jump-cut. Lack of open-field moves leads to him leaving yards on the field.  

Pass catching ability? He had 2 targets in the 3 games I've watched. Looked natural catching the ball and securing it before turning upfield, but not a large enough sample size. 

The Ugly: 

Upright running style, which I said for Gurley, isn't a huge problem is you're a short back, but Yeldon is 6'2". You need the leverage. 

Holds ball too far away from body. Large reason why he had 8 fumbles in college. 

Dominant oline masks vision deficiency. 

Not a between the tackle runner. Totally impatient and doesn't read his blocks well. Majority of inside success is the result of amazing run blocking. 

Panics when the play breaks down. Stutter steps and gets hit for a loss or no gain where more decisive backs would be able to pick up 2-3 yards. 

Often loses his footing 

ex. http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=251995&gif=DelightfulColossalBarbet

Not a power runner for a back his size. Which is why I say he should gain about 10 lbs. 

Conclusion: 

After watching 3 games, I cam away with a not so favorable opinion of Yeldon. I don't really think that he's an NFL caliber starter, but that's not to say that he doesn't possess some traits that will make him valuable to NFL teams. Any team that drafts him has to understand his strengths and weaknesses. Yeldon is at his best when he is able to attack the edges of the defense and beat defenders around the corner. He will be a nice change of pace back at the next level, and a competent backup/role player.

Position Rank: 7

Projected Round: 4th

NFL Comparison: Donald Brown, Chargers

Up next: Ameer Abdullah, RB, Nebraska

Also not a great track record at the position from that school. All the RB's from Bama look the same and look good in their system because of the offense they run. I'm pretty sure in another 1-2 years we'll be talking about another Power RB from Alabama who is projected as a 2nd round pick.

Also not a great track record at the position from that school. All the RB's from Bama look the same and look good in their system because of the offense they run. I'm pretty sure in another 1-2 years we'll be talking about another Power RB from Alabama who is projected as a 2nd round pick.

Derrick Henry is legit IMO. Steven Jackson 2.0. Dude is 6'3" 240 lbs and runs like a 4.4.