Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dustin

Scouting Profile: Jay Ajayi, RB, Boise State

Previous Installments:

Todd Gurley, RB, Georgia

Melvin Gordon, RB, Wisconsin

ajayi.jpg

Game watched: vs Ole Miss, vs Colorado State

The Good:

Prototypical size. 6' 215 lbs.

Solid lateral agility. 

Amazing pass catching skils. Catches better than most WRs. Shows ability to hold on to passes while absorbing hits.

ex. http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=253304&gif=JealousClutteredBanteng

ex. http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=253304&gif=ClearSomeAcornwoodpecker

Unreal balance. Probably the best of his draft class. Yes, even better than Gurley's. 

ex. http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=253304&gif=GentleFaroffAldabratortoise

Relentless runner. Fights for every yards on the field. Understands how to maximize his yardage. Which goes back to his amazing balance.

ex. http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=253639&gif=CarefulScholarlyCalf

Loves the spin move. Great, athletic jump cuts.

ex. http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=253639&gif=EarnestCarelessAztecant

One of those backs who you see a lot of defenders slip off of when attempting a tackle.

The Bad: 

Average athleticism. He'll never be a homerun threat in the pros. Needs to build up a head of steam to hit that second gear. 

Pass blocking skills are sub-par. Though, most college backs suffer from the same problem, so it's not really a concern. His clearly has the size to do it.

Ball security problems. He had a few fumbles in college, will he suffer the same problem in the pros?

Doesn't explode through the line. Often times leaving a bunch of yards on the field.

Won't be able to power through tackles at the next level. Doesn't posses great lower body strength. Though he has enough to break most arm tackles. 

The Ugly: 

Loves to bounce runs to the outside. Often time passing up his pre-determined (at least to my eye) running lane. He will lose a lot of yards doing this in the NFL. 

Conclusion:

Ajayi is a shifty "scat-back" who's best asset is his ability to catch passes. He won't be a dominant runner, but he'll be good enough to keep defenses honest. His running style reminds me a lot of Legarrette Blount, as in, he's a big runningback who runs like he's 5'8 190 lbs. While he doesn't posses the power in his runs as Blount, he makes it up with his great balance and ability in the passing game. IMO, Ajayi is a perfect fit in the Colts offense. With Luck under center, Ajayi will have access to more running lanes, and will present an elite target for Luck to dump the ball off to. 

Projected Round: Late 2nd-Early 3rd

Prospect Rank: 2

NFL Comparison: Ahmad Bradshaw, Colts/FA

I like Ajayi just based off of some light reading I did on him.  I would be happy if the Colts took him in one of the middle rounds, no earlier than round 3

As Ajayi was late to commit to the NFL there isn't as much info out there on him...

Neither NFL.com or ESPN.com have a profile or grade for him yet.    They will soon.

I think Ajayi is a harder to read talent primarily because the level of competition he played against is just not that good.

So, does he dominate because he's really as good as he seems,  or does he dominate because the competition wasn't good at all?

I'll have to do more homework on him...     but as we sit here today,  I don't see him going higher than the 3rd round....   I think the Big 3 of Gurley, Gordon and (your favorite :thmup: ) Coleman go first...   and then it's anyone's guess who goes after that.   It'll likely depend on what a team is looking for.

One last thought....   if I haven't said so before,  thanks for doing these.   They're great fun and make for good debate/discussion here in the off-season....

I really like the versatility of Ajayi, I think he could be a really nice pickup in round 3 if he's on the board.

Outside of the kids receiving ability I just did not see anything I liked about the kid for the reasons you mentioned, Not a lot of burst, I don't think he is going be able to bounce the ball outside very well