Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Scouting Profile: Melvin Gordon, RB, Wisconsin

Previous Installments:

Todd Gurley, RB, Georgia

I figured I'd do this by position. So, I continue on with RBs.

Melvin-Gordon.jpg

Games watched: vs LSU, vs Ohio State, vs Illinois

The Good:

Solidly built. Looks the part of an NFL runningback.

Great lateral agility. Maybe even elite. Can cut on a dime.

Unreal burst through the line. So explosive when he decides to hit the hole.

Keeps legs churning on contact.

Good pad level.

Competent pass blocker.

Balance is great.

http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=253842&gif=FlamboyantRealAcornwoodpecker

The Bad:

Quick vision? Didn't see much of it. He misses a huge cutback lane here:

http://imgur.com/TaFCTGp (he took the green arrow)

Ability as a pass catcher is a huge question mark. You can't just dismiss Wisconsin having their best player on offense only catching 19 passes in a season. Boom Herron caught about that many in the playoffs.

Moderate elusiveness on contact. He wont break many tackles in the NFL.

People keep talking about this elite speed, but I don't see it at all. He supposedly runs a 4.33 and I'll be shocked if he runs that at the combine.

Absolutely dominant Oline and scheme may make him appear better than he actually is.

The Ugly:

Struggles mightily if there isn't a lane. Often stutter stepping and running into the pile (sound familiar?)

Runs with no power whatsoever.

Conclusion:

In my opinion, Gordon is a player best suited for a man-blocking run system where the decision of where to run is taken out of his hands. The good thing about Gordon is that if a play is blocked right, there's almost 0 chance he is going to mess it up. If you open a hole for him, he is going to take full advantage every time. That's an underrated aspect of any RBs game. He has enough speed to outrun most NFL linebackers and probably enough to outrun DBs as well (though I think his speed is overrated). He'll be a minimal YAC (yards after contact) player in the league because of his lack of running power. Gordon's best bet for a pro career is ending up in Dallas where he can take advantage of arguably the best run blocking oline in the NFL.

Position Rank: 3

Projected Round: 2nd

NFL Comparison: Chris Johnson, NYJ

I'd take Tevin Coleman in the 3rd.

I seriously doubt Coleman will be there in the 3rd....   and if he is,  he won't be there at the bottom of the third which is where we pick.   Our 3rd round pick is 93rd overall....   Coleman is not falling that far...

And here's is what Scouts Inc,  the ESPN Group run by Todd McShay,  think of Melvin Gordon....

Overall Football Traits   (2014 Stats are not loaded into profile yet)

Production 3   2011: (3/0) Rushing 20-98-4.9-1 Receiving: N/A  2012: (14/4) Rushing 62-621-10.0-3 Receiving 2-65-32.5-1  2013: (13/4) Rushing 206-1,609-7.8-12  Receiving 1-10-10.0-0 Career KORs: 8-174-21.7-0

Height-Weight-Speed 1  On taller and leaner side but built well with good size potential and above average top-end speed. Durability 2 Missed most of the 2011 season with a groin injury and granted a medical redshirt.

Intangibles 2  Father is Melvin Gordon. Team-oriented player that loves game and committed to getting better. Served as teacher's assistant in high school and volunteered serving food at a homeless shelter. Coached youth football. Majoring in life science communication. Academic All Big 10 in 2012.

1 = Exceptional  2 = Above average  3 = Average  4 = Below average  5 = Marginal

Running Back Specific Traits

Competitiveness 2  Fearless runner that doesn't gear down or brace for contact. Plays with emotion and swagger. Willing to step up and take on bigger defenders in pass pro. Ball security is an issue at times. Doesn't always carry ball high and tight. Can extend it away from frame trying to make defenders in space.

Vision/Patience 2  Anticipation isn't outstanding and misses occasional seam, but that is an exception and not the norm. Quickly locates seams between tackles. Reads second level and has good feel for cutback lanes. Above average patience following lead blockers and makes right cut based on their body position.

Agility/Acceleration 1  Violent jump cuts. Can press inside then bounce outside. Can make defender miss in hole and make first defender miss in space. Loses too much momentum at times though and doesn't string together ankle breaking moves on same play. Homerun hitter that reaches considerable top-end speed quickly. A threat to go the distance every time he touches the ball.

Power/Balance 3  Explosive enough to run through contact when defenders fail to wrap up. Builds so much momentum that he falls forward at the end of runs. Can lower shoulder and finish. Runs with a narrow base, makes it too easy to cut legs out from under him. High-cut runner that has problems keeping feet under him and can stumble or lose balance.

Passing Game 4  Potential to make substantial strides with more opportunities, but limited production up to this point is obvious concern. Big-play threat after catch. Burst to quickly separate from man.. Reportedly put in extra work running routes and catching balls in spring 2014. Not for lack of effort, but developing pass blocker with plenty of room for improvement in terms of awareness and technique. Doesn't sink well and gives too much ground.

1 = Exceptional  2 = Above average  3 = Average  4 = Below average  5 = Marginal

I seriously doubt Coleman will be there in the 3rd....   and if he is,  he won't be there at the bottom of the third which is where we pick.   Our 3rd round pick is 93rd overall....   Coleman is not falling that far...

I'd take Tevin Coleman in the 3rd.

I hate Tevin Coleman as a prospect and wouldn't be surprised to see him drop to the 4th-5th round come draft day. 

And here's is what Scouts Inc,  the ESPN Group run by Todd McShay,  think of Melvin Gordon....

Overall Football Traits   (2014 Stats are not loaded into profile yet)

Production 3   2011: (3/0) Rushing 20-98-4.9-1 Receiving: N/A  2012: (14/4) Rushing 62-621-10.0-3 Receiving 2-65-32.5-1  2013: (13/4) Rushing 206-1,609-7.8-12  Receiving 1-10-10.0-0 Career KORs: 8-174-21.7-0

Height-Weight-Speed 1  On taller and leaner side but built well with good size potential and above average top-end speed. Durability 2 Missed most of the 2011 season with a groin injury and granted a medical redshirt.

Intangibles 2  Father is Melvin Gordon. Team-oriented player that loves game and committed to getting better. Served as teacher's assistant in high school and volunteered serving food at a homeless shelter. Coached youth football. Majoring in life science communication. Academic All Big 10 in 2012.

Running Back Specific Traits

Competitiveness 2  Fearless runner that doesn't gear down or brace for contact. Plays with emotion and swagger. Willing to step up and take on bigger defenders in pass pro. Ball security is an issue at times. Doesn't always carry ball high and tight. Can extend it away from frame trying to make defenders in space.

Vision/Patience 2  Anticipation isn't outstanding and misses occasional seam, but that is an exception and not the norm. Quickly locates seams between tackles. Reads second level and has good feel for cutback lanes. Above average patience following lead blockers and makes right cut based on their body position.

Agility/Acceleration 1  Violent jump cuts. Can press inside then bounce outside. Can make defender miss in hole and make first defender miss in space. Loses too much momentum at times though and doesn't string together ankle breaking moves on same play. Homerun hitter that reaches considerable top-end speed quickly. A threat to go the distance every time he touches the ball.

Power/Balance 3  Explosive enough to run through contact when defenders fail to wrap up. Builds so much momentum that he falls forward at the end of runs. Can lower shoulder and finish. Runs with a narrow base, makes it too easy to cut legs out from under him. High-cut runner that has problems keeping feet under him and can stumble or lose balance.

Passing Game 4  Potential to make substantial strides with more opportunities, but limited production up to this point is obvious concern. Big-play threat after catch. Burst to quickly separate from man.. Reportedly put in extra work running routes and catching balls in spring 2014. Not for lack of effort, but developing pass blocker with plenty of room for improvement in terms of awareness and technique. Doesn't sink well and gives too much ground.

Sounds almost exactly the same as mine. Except for the power part. I disagree with him on that.

Archived