Jay Ajayi, RB, Boise State

Duke Johnson, RB, Miami

T.J. Yeldon, RB, Alabama

Ameer Abdullah, RB, Nebraska

5-tevin-coleman-rb-indiana_pg_600.jpg

Games watched: vs Indiana State, vs Ohio State

The Good: 

Speed is top notch. 

ex. http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=253327&gif=GreenBonyAmericanratsnake

Good size. 6'1" 210 lbs. 

Can run with power. Always falls forward.

Sets up blocks well. 

The Bad: 

Don't see anything special as an inside runner. Doesn't posses special vision or explosiveness in traffic. 

Constantly lowers his head when running between the tackles. Bracing for impact when he should be looking for running lanes.

Average elusiveness and lateral agility. 

Production outside the tackles really trumps production on the inside. 

Needs to build up a head of steam to actually hit that elite speed. 

A ton of production on runs he wont have a chance of in the NFL. He seemingly busted out 2-3 large runs (I'm talking 40-50 yarders) a game. Reliant on big plays. 

The Ugly:

Only ~400 receiving yards in college. Horrible yards per reception.

Upright runner. 

Conclusion: 

Well, I like Coleman more than I did during my preliminary scouting. My overall opinion of him hasn't changed much really. He's a fast, yet not overly explosive power runner who struggles with inside vision and panics when the play breaks down. His penchant for big plays probably won't continue in the NFL and if you're a team that drafts him you have to think you can improve his quick vision and decision making.

Prospect Rank: 6

Projected Round: 4th

NFL Comparison: He's a weird Demarco Murray-Chris Johnson hybrid, but doesn't do the things those guys do as well as they do.

That's it for runningbacks. On to WRs next. 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't be surprised to see us take him being that he's right in the Colts back yard.  I'm sure they've spent an extensive amount of time at different games amongst other things.

I would be thrilled if the Colts drafted Coleman and IMO he is the most complete back in the draft.  He reminds me a lot of Edge, he just seems to do everything and do it well.

I would be thrilled if the Colts drafted Coleman and IMO he is the most complete back in the draft.  He reminds me a lot of Edge, he just seems to do everything and do it well.

I have to take a moment to familiarize myself with him.  Just skimming over the little GIF in the post I can tell he's pretty fast. I have never seen him play yet so I'll watch what I can watch to get more info.  I like Gurley a lot, but he's got the ACL issue.

Like I said in the RB Hub post, I'm not very high on Coleman for pretty much everything Dustin outlined above. He isn't particularly good between the tackles and seems to struggle if there's not a huge running lane. That's an issue considering our O-line.

I get the hype of being a hometown guy, but I'd challenge those of you that think he's the best back in this draft to go back and objectively watch the tape. Hits the edge well, but can't do too much between the tackles.

Only to IU fans.

All I know is he put up stats that were just as good as Gordon's behind a worse O-line and a team that had no quarterback play after the halfway point of the season to take the pressure off him. Defenses knew exactly what IU was going to do, and they still couldn't stop him. What runs also does he have "no chance at" in the NFL? Big runs don't happen in the NFL? I think DeMarco Murray wants to have a word with you. He gets big runs because he has elite speed and can outrun anyone. To act like he can't get big runs in the NFL is strange to me. 

Like I said in the RB Hub post, I'm not very high on Coleman for pretty much everything Dustin outlined above. He isn't particularly good between the tackles and seems to struggle if there's not a huge running lane. That's an issue considering our O-line.

I get the hype of being a hometown guy, but I'd challenge those of you that think he's the best back in this draft to go back and objectively watch the tape. Hits the edge well, but can't do too much between the tackles.

I would challenge you to go back and look at how many defenders they have around the box the majority of Coleman's games as well. It was as I said, the other team knew what IU was doing every time, even more so when our starting and back-up QB's were hurt. 

And here is the profile from Scouts Inc at ESPN.com (McShay's Crew)   This profile is dramatically different than the OP.

Overall Football Traits

Production   2012: (12/2) Rushing: 51-225-4.4-1¬Receiving: 10-49-4.9-0   2013: (9/9) Rushing: 131-958-7.3-12¬Receiving: 19-193-10.2-0   2014: (12/12) Rushing: 270-2,036-7.5-15¬Receiving: 25-141-5.6-0   Career: KORs 30-124-690-23.0-1

Height-Weight-Speed 1   Prototypical height with adequate bulk and very good top-end speed.

Durability 3   Missed final three games of the 2013 season with an ankle injury. Played in every game but missed final 20 minutes of the first half against Missouri game with cramps in 2014.

Intangibles 1   Son of Wister and Adlevia Coleman, who are both from Liberia. Religious. Born three months early and doctors told family he had a 20 percent chance of living. Parents nicknamed him the Rock. Humble and quick to credit others for success. Coaches love him. Stays in touch with pee-wee and high school coaches. General studies major.

1 = Exceptional  2 = Above average  3 = Average  4 = Below average  5 = Marginal

Running Back Specific Traits

Competitiveness 2   Runs hard and doesn't shy away from contact along sidelines.  Willing to sacrifice body in pass pro and shows adequate aggressiveness. Ball security can improve but not a red flag. Always carries ball in left hand and ball tends to drift away from body in space.

Vision/Patience 2   Above-average vision. Will miss an occasional crease but more exception than rule. Doesn't leave many yards on the field. Patiently sets up blocks. Recognizes and exploits cutback lanes. Gets shoulders turned upfield as soon as he hits crease. Outstanding blend of patience and aggressiveness on perimeter runs. Knows when he has the angle. Also knows when to hesitate and let pursuing linebackers blow past.

Agility/Acceleration 2   Above-average burst to and through the hole. Home-run threat who can turn on jets and run away from pursuit when he hits daylight. Slippery, shifty runner. Doesn't take a lot of clean shots and can make defenders miss in small spaces, but he's not an ankle-breaker in the open field.

Power/Balance 3  Rarely tackled for loss thanks in large part to burst. Runs through and out of would-be arm tackles. Consistently lowers shoulder and flashes ability to deliver solid initial blow on contact. Consistently falls forward at the end of runs. Above-average balance and tough to knock off course when gets hit high. However, he is high-cut and runs high when he isn't taking on defenders in a phone booth, so defenders can cut his legs out from under him. Doesn't have the powerbase to carry defenders for many extra yards.

Passing Game 3  Does a good job of extending and catching away from frame without breaking stride, but hands are a little inconsistent. Doesn't run sophisticated routes but has the quickness to separate and does an adequate job of improvising when quarterback gets flushed out of the pocket. Greater threat after the catch than statistics suggest. Good awareness in pass pro. Flashes ability to shoot hands inside and deliver a strong punch. Still has plenty of room to improve from a technique standpoint. Sets high and can give too much ground. Doesn't always shuffle and stay square. Can do better job of attacking thigh pad as a cut-blocker.

1 = Exceptional  2 = Above average  3 = Average  4 = Below average  5 = Marginal

All I know is he put up stats that were just as good as Gordon's behind a worse O-line and a team that had no quarterback play after the halfway point of the season to take the pressure off him. Defenses knew exactly what IU was going to do, and they still couldn't stop him.  I think DeMarco Murray wants to have a word with you. He gets big runs because he has elite speed and can outrun anyone. 

College stats don't matter.

>What runs also does he have "no chance at" in the NFL? Big runs don't happen in the NFL?

Not to the extent that he relies on them.

>To act like he can't get big runs in the NFL is strange to me. 

I guess it's a good thing I didn't act like that then. 

You an IU fan? There's nothing he objectively does better than Gurley or Gordon. That's the homer in you. 

And here is the profile from Scouts Inc at ESPN.com (McShay's Crew)   This profile is dramatically different than the OP.

Overall Football Traits
Production   2012: (12/2) Rushing: 51-225-4.4-1¬Receiving: 10-49-4.9-0 2013: (9/9) Rushing: 131-958-7.3-12¬Receiving: 19-193-10.2-0 2014: (12/12) Rushing: 270-2,036-7.5-15¬Receiving: 25-141-5.6-0 Career: KORs 30-124-690-23.0-1 Height-Weight-Speed 1 Prototypical height with adequate bulk and very good top-end speed. Durability 3 Missed final three games of the 2013 season with an ankle injury. Played in every game but missed final 20 minutes of the first half against Missouri game with cramps in 2014. Intangibles 1 Son of Wister and Adlevia Coleman, who are both from Liberia. Religious. Born three months early and doctors told family he had a 20 percent chance of living. Parents nicknamed him the Rock. Humble and quick to credit others for success. Coaches love him. Stays in touch with pee-wee and high school coaches. General studies major.
1 = Exceptional2 = Above average3 = Average4 = Below average5 = Marginal
Competitiveness 2 Runs hard and doesn't shy away from contact along sidelines. Willing to sacrifice body in pass pro and shows adequate aggressiveness. Ball security can improve but not a red flag. Always carries ball in left hand and ball tends to drift away from body in space. Vision/Patience 2 Above-average vision. Will miss an occasional crease but more exception than rule. Doesn't leave many yards on the field. Patiently sets up blocks. Recognizes and exploits cutback lanes. Gets shoulders turned upfield as soon as he hits crease. Outstanding blend of patience and aggressiveness on perimeter runs. Knows when he has the angle. Also knows when to hesitate and let pursuing linebackers blow past. Agility/Acceleration 2 Above-average burst to and through the hole. Home-run threat who can turn on jets and run away from pursuit when he hits daylight. Slippery, shifty runner. Doesn't take a lot of clean shots and can make defenders miss in small spaces, but he's not an ankle-breaker in the open field. Power/Balance 3 Rarely tackled for loss thanks in large part to burst. Runs through and out of would-be arm tackles. Consistently lowers shoulder and flashes ability to deliver solid initial blow on contact. Consistently falls forward at the end of runs. Above-average balance and tough to knock off course when gets hit high. However, he is high-cut and runs high when he isn't taking on defenders in a phone booth, so defenders can cut his legs out from under him. Doesn't have the powerbase to carry defenders for many extra yards. Passing Game 3 Does a good job of extending and catching away from frame without breaking stride, but hands are a little inconsistent. Doesn't run sophisticated routes but has the quickness to separate and does an adequate job of improvising when quarterback gets flushed out of the pocket. Greater threat after the catch than statistics suggest. Good awareness in pass pro. Flashes ability to shoot hands inside and deliver a strong punch. Still has plenty of room to improve from a technique standpoint. Sets high and can give too much ground. Doesn't always shuffle and stay square. Can do better job of attacking thigh pad as a cut-blocker.

Thats what happens when you only watch 2 games. 

Overall Football Traits
Production   2012: (12/2) Rushing: 51-225-4.4-1¬Receiving: 10-49-4.9-0 2013: (9/9) Rushing: 131-958-7.3-12¬Receiving: 19-193-10.2-0 2014: (12/12) Rushing: 270-2,036-7.5-15¬Receiving: 25-141-5.6-0 Career: KORs 30-124-690-23.0-1 Height-Weight-Speed 1 Prototypical height with adequate bulk and very good top-end speed. Durability 3 Missed final three games of the 2013 season with an ankle injury. Played in every game but missed final 20 minutes of the first half against Missouri game with cramps in 2014. Intangibles 1 Son of Wister and Adlevia Coleman, who are both from Liberia. Religious. Born three months early and doctors told family he had a 20 percent chance of living. Parents nicknamed him the Rock. Humble and quick to credit others for success. Coaches love him. Stays in touch with pee-wee and high school coaches. General studies major.
Competitiveness 2 Runs hard and doesn't shy away from contact along sidelines. Willing to sacrifice body in pass pro and shows adequate aggressiveness. Ball security can improve but not a red flag. Always carries ball in left hand and ball tends to drift away from body in space. Vision/Patience 2 Above-average vision. Will miss an occasional crease but more exception than rule. Doesn't leave many yards on the field. Patiently sets up blocks. Recognizes and exploits cutback lanes. Gets shoulders turned upfield as soon as he hits crease. Outstanding blend of patience and aggressiveness on perimeter runs. Knows when he has the angle. Also knows when to hesitate and let pursuing linebackers blow past. Agility/Acceleration 2 Above-average burst to and through the hole. Home-run threat who can turn on jets and run away from pursuit when he hits daylight. Slippery, shifty runner. Doesn't take a lot of clean shots and can make defenders miss in small spaces, but he's not an ankle-breaker in the open field. Power/Balance 3 Rarely tackled for loss thanks in large part to burst. Runs through and out of would-be arm tackles. Consistently lowers shoulder and flashes ability to deliver solid initial blow on contact. Consistently falls forward at the end of runs. Above-average balance and tough to knock off course when gets hit high. However, he is high-cut and runs high when he isn't taking on defenders in a phone booth, so defenders can cut his legs out from under him. Doesn't have the powerbase to carry defenders for many extra yards. Passing Game 3 Does a good job of extending and catching away from frame without breaking stride, but hands are a little inconsistent. Doesn't run sophisticated routes but has the quickness to separate and does an adequate job of improvising when quarterback gets flushed out of the pocket. Greater threat after the catch than statistics suggest. Good awareness in pass pro. Flashes ability to shoot hands inside and deliver a strong punch. Still has plenty of room to improve from a technique standpoint. Sets high and can give too much ground. Doesn't always shuffle and stay square. Can do better job of attacking thigh pad as a cut-blocker.

That's not dramatically different at all. 

edit: this is almost exactly what I typed. 

Well....   you have him as the 7th best RB, and a 4th round grade.

(NOTE:  you show Coleman as your 6th RB.   Actually, he's your 7th)

They have him as the 3rd best RB and a 2nd round grade.

I'd say that's pretty different.

And hey,  you may be right.   I'm not offering these up to say you're wrong.   Just offering a different perspective for people to read.     Coleman, being an Indiana player,  is a popular guy.    I thought his admirers here would like another view...

Well....   you have him as the 6th best RB, and a 4th round grade.

They have him as the 3rd best RB and a 2nd round grade.

I'd say that's pretty different.

And hey,  you may be right.   I'm not offering these up to say you're wrong.   Just offering a different perspective for people to read.     Coleman, being an Indiana player,  is a popular guy.    I thought his admirers here would like another view...

McShay's analysis is almost exactly what i typed. Actually word for word in some parts. 

I didn't really knock Johnson and Abdullah for size, which I'm guessing McShay did, which is why he's ranked above them, because they are better players. 

McShay's analysis is almost exactly what i typed. Actually word for word in some parts. 

I didn't really knock Johnson and Abdullah for size, which I'm guessing McShay did, which is why he's ranked above them, because they are better players. 

By the way,  for future reference,  he's your 7th RB, not your 6th.

McShay's analysis was a lot more positive than yours, from vision to his burst. 

And here is the view from NFL.com

Note:   They have a new analyst doing profiles this year.   I'm not familiar with him, so I'm not saying anything about him one way or the other.   

Cutting and pasting here:

Analysis Strengths Decisive north-south runner.  Outstanding three-step burst into second level.  Fearless between the tackles. Has dangerous jump-cut to instantly change gaps and ruin the plans of linebackers.  Stays square to the line and is always in ready position to hit turbo.  Fluid and flexible lower body with elite one-cut ability and natural change-of-direction talent without gearing down.  Power in legs to slice through arm tackles and uses free hand as quality stiff-arm.  Violent run finisher.  Will duck shoulder and throw heavy forearm into tackler to prove a point.  Not a content runner -- keeps feet moving after contact and won't give in.  Capable hands out of backfield and willing to square up and engage pass rushers on pass plays.  Hits top speed so quickly that safeties and linebackers repeatedly take poor angles, leading to long touchdowns.  Half of his 28 career rushing touchdowns were of 43-plus yards, including eight of 64-plus yards. Weaknesses Treats every carry like a sprint.  Must improve run tempo and patience on stretch plays.  Has to learn when to keep run play-side and improve patience so he allows back-side cutback lanes to develop.  Can improve out of backfield.  Wasn't always in position to scan defense on screen passes, resulting in lost yardage.  Pad level often a little high into contact. NFL Comparison Edgerrin James Bottom Line

His violent running style is a joy to watch, but might have to be tempered to extend his career. He is a "race car in the red" on just about every snap and refuses to give in, which leads to many big runs. Zone, gap, power ... it doesn't really matter because Coleman can fit all schemes. Has the burst and top-end speed to be a game-changing running back for a team looking for a workhorse.

-Lance Zierlein

If you're listing them in order, which has been my impression,  then you have six before Coleman.   Here's your list.

Todd Gurley, RB, Georgia

Melvin Gordon, RB, Wisconsin

Jay Ajayi, RB, Boise State

Duke Johnson, RB, Miami

T.J. Yeldon, RB, Alabama

Ameer Abdullah, RB, Nebraska

I'm not. I literally have his position/prospect rank at the bottom of the OP. 

Note:   They have a new analyst doing profiles this year.   I'm not familiar with him, so I'm not saying anything about him one way or the other.   

Analysis Strengths Decisive north-south runner.  Outstanding three-step burst into second level.  Fearless between the tackles. Has dangerous jump-cut to instantly change gaps and ruin the plans of linebackers.  Stays square to the line and is always in ready position to hit turbo.  Fluid and flexible lower body with elite one-cut ability and natural change-of-direction talent without gearing down.  Power in legs to slice through arm tackles and uses free hand as quality stiff-arm.  Violent run finisher.  Will duck shoulder and throw heavy forearm into tackler to prove a point.  Not a content runner -- keeps feet moving after contact and won't give in.  Capable hands out of backfield and willing to square up and engage pass rushers on pass plays.  Hits top speed so quickly that safeties and linebackers repeatedly take poor angles, leading to long touchdowns.  Half of his 28 career rushing touchdowns were of 43-plus yards, including eight of 64-plus yards. Weaknesses Treats every carry like a sprint.  Must improve run tempo and patience on stretch plays.  Has to learn when to keep run play-side and improve patience so he allows back-side cutback lanes to develop.  Can improve out of backfield.  Wasn't always in position to scan defense on screen passes, resulting in lost yardage.  Pad level often a little high into contact. NFL Comparison Edgerrin James Bottom Line

His violent running style is a joy to watch, but might have to be tempered to extend his career. He is a "race car in the red" on just about every snap and refuses to give in, which leads to many big runs. Zone, gap, power ... it doesn't really matter because Coleman can fit all schemes. Has the burst and top-end speed to be a game-changing running back for a team looking for a workhorse.

-Lance Zierlein

Zierlein is a very good guy. His father is a very well-respected Oline coach. 

-Lance Zierlein

Well, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that thinks of James when I watch this kid run.

edit: this is almost exactly what I typed. 

Please tell me where in the McShaw write-up you think your words under the section "The Bad" are anywhere close to what McShay's crew says?   

I think they're night and day different.

Your words are not complimentary.   And the McShay write-up is very complimentary.    You're seeing the same thing much differently and saying that.

Zierlein is a very good guy. His father is a very well-respected Oline coach. 

Who has he written for?    I did a Google search for him and came up empty.....

Besides father,  what is his background.    I'm sure he knows football, I was just telling readers here that I don't know him as I do Kiper and the McShay crew who I have been reading for years...

Please tell me where in the McShaw write-up you think your words under the section "The Bad" are anywhere close to what McShay's crew says?   

I think they're night and day different.

Your words are not complimentary.   And the McShay write-up is very complimentary.    You're seeing the same thing much differently and saying that.

So you're agreeing that we're saying the same thing, but I'm being less complimentary? Seems petty. 

Who has he written for?    I did a Google search for him and came up empty.....

Besides father,  what is his background.    I'm sure he knows football, I was just telling readers here that I don't know him as I do Kiper and the McShay crew who I have been reading for years...

He's a Texas based radio host. I don;t think he writes for anyone. At least I'm not aware if he does. 

What hometown guy?  I live in Kansas and I'm a Michigan fan.

So you're agreeing that we're saying the same thing, but I'm being less complimentary? Seems petty. 

No.   I'm not saying that at all.

I'm saying your write-up is different than the McShay crew, and yet you say it's almost the same.   Your words were that in some cases, it's almost identical.

I asked where did the McShay crew write ANYTHING close to what you wrote in "The Bad" section of your write-up...

They didn't.

Oh. Well, listen to McShay then. Doesn't hurt my feelings. I just watch a few games and make some comments/cut up some gifs. I have no agenda here.

As I said in another post....  I'm not saying you're wrong about any particular player...   I'm only offering other write-ups as discussion points, so readers here have a bigger view than just your profile.