Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton Manning played past month with a torn quad

SilentHill

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was on the injury report, thigh is quad.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/injury-report.html

During the week after he injured it vs Chargers, the Broncos were saying this even though the MRI results said it was torn:

"Profootballtalk reports the Broncos are not concerned about Peyton Manning's (thigh) availability for Week 16 against the Bengals.

Manning was battling flu-like systems coming into Sunday's game against the Chargers and strained his thigh late in the second quarter. The team is chalking it up to dehydration and his illness, which makes plenty of sense since Manning needed an IV ahead of the game. Manning has an extra day to get ready with the Broncos and Bengals playing the final Monday night game of 2014."

"Per a league source, the Broncos have no lingering concern about said thigh injury.

We’ll all officially know more about Manning’s thigh on Thursday, when the team’s first injury report in advance of next Monday’s game is released. Apparently, Manning won’t be listed with a thigh injury."

-pro football talk

Also from Adam Schefter article a couple minutes ago:

Broncos doctors knew about the injury, and Manning did what he could to intentionally conceal the injury from as many people as he could, sources said. Manning had been listed on the team's injury reports as having an injured thigh.

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=12154238&src=desktop&rand=ref~%7B%22ref%22%3A%22http%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2FiKC6dgdoc4%22%7D

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 
Specifically: Peyton Manning has a torn rectus femoris, which runs down center of thigh. Bruising was so severe it spread to back of his leg

On one hand, I felt it was a tad selfish on Peyton's part to hide it but then, it also speaks to the confidence they have in Osweiler to let him take the reins for a few games late in the season. But if it was primarily handing the ball over to CJ during those last few games, Oz could have done it just as well, IMO. 

Coaches and doctors botched it, while keeping Peyton injured and playing, IMO.

Fans on the Broncos forum still calling for a change at QB... You'd think playing through injury would be admired and rewarded with some loyalty. Maybe its just a vocal minority, but Broncos fans have really embarrassed themselves.

Broncos fans are exactly that - Broncos fans.  They are not Manning fans, they want the team to win.  I agree with them - Manning looks like he's finished.

This explains a lot.

According to all the experts on ESPN and the NFL network, Denver is a more complete team than they were the previous 2 seasons They now have a championship caliber defense and a great running game. They no longer had to rely on Peytons arm. Why have the experts stopped beating that drum?

uxIhTSGk_bigger.jpegAdam SchefterVerified account ‏@AdamSchefter

Broncos QB Peyton Manning played Sunday’s Divisional Playoff loss and the past month of the season with a torn right quad, per two sources.

Broncos fans are exactly that - Broncos fans.  They are not Manning fans, they want the team to win.  I agree with them - Manning looks like he's finished.

He played poorly over the last few weeks. Turns out there was a pretty significant injury that could account for the drop off.  He is definitely close to the end but to base your opinion on the performance of an injured player makes no sense to me.

Manning's still got another year left in him. Keep in mind he had 39 touchdowns this year and had another stellar season. 

He needs to rest up big time, go see Cutcliffe for his tune up and come back next year. However, the Broncos cannot rely on him as much and they need to limit the amount of attempts he has, especially in the earlier part of the season (against weaker teams especially).

The injuries are starting to mount now, but I hope he thinks this one through and comes back. 

We shouldn't be hearing a decision for awhile. Of all people, he's not the one to come and make a rash decision. 

He played poorly over the last few weeks. Turns out there was a pretty significant injury that could account for the drop off.  He is definitely close to the end but to base your opinion on the performance of an injured player makes no sense to me.

I've moved on - not a Manning fan, a Colts fan.  Manning does not play for the Colts, and I'm not much for pining over 2006.

Manning's still got another year left in him. Keep in mind he had 39 touchdowns this year and had another stellar season. 

He needs to rest up big time, go see Cutcliffe for his tune up and come back next year. However, the Broncos cannot rely on him as much and they need to limit the amount of attempts he has, especially in the earlier part of the season (against weaker teams especially).

The injuries are starting to mount now, but I hope he thinks this one through and comes back. 

We shouldn't be hearing a decision for awhile. Of all people, he's not the one to come and make a rash decision. 

Thanks Andy you always have a good post.  :thmup:

I've moved on - not a Manning fan, a Colts fan.  Manning does not play for the Colts, and I'm not much for pining over 2006.

I thought we were discussing your prediction on Manning's future... not sure how 2006 plays into that at all.  Its good that you've moved on and don't feel the need to make half-informed statements about the guy. Good job by you.

I thought we were discussing your prediction on Manning's future... not sure how 2006 plays into that at all.  Its good that you've moved on and don't feel the need to make half-informed statements about the guy. Good job by you.

It's my opinion that Manning is finished as an NFL QB.  Someon didn't like my opinion, my response was to that poster, not to you.  My response was pointing out why I feel the way I do.

It's my opinion that Manning is finished as an NFL QB.  Someon didn't like my opinion, my response was to that poster, not to you.  My response was pointing out why I feel the way I do.

Your response just seemed to imply that you think Manning is done because he has looked bad recently and anyone who disagrees is a Manning devotee first and Colts fan second.  I just think the quad injury explains a lot and he probably has a bit more in the tank.  

Done as an NFL QB? Have you seen Mike Glennon, Geno Smith, <insert Texans QB name here> play?!  Manning is a top 10 QB at worst and if he retires before next year it won't be because he can't play anymore.

Specifically: Peyton Manning has a torn rectus femoris, which runs down center of thigh. Bruising was so severe it spread to back of his leg

On one hand, I felt it was a tad selfish on Peyton's part to hide it but then, it also speaks to the confidence they have in Osweiler to let him take the reins for a few games late in the season. But if it was primarily handing the ball over to CJ during those last few games, Oz could have done it just as well, IMO. 

Yeah. He should have sat out. No wonder his throws were bad even with his feet set. He has to be able to use his legs as he does not have the same arm strength. The Broncos coaching staff should be taken to task over this from the league for hiding it.

Having watched the game where he injured it and the strange sequence where he was pulled out to go into the locker room and then we were told he wouldn't play the second half and then he did... We knew something was up.  My guess is he had them shoot it full of pain killers to finish the game.  In a torn muscle scenario, it can't have been good that he continued playing on it.  

It would be very sad if his not coming out of the game, ultimately led to the loss in the playoffs and even potentially the end of his career.  That's where people on the team have to think more than the "next game," and be a check on the warrior instinct in the great competitors.  

Rivers is like this too and I fear he could one day be in the same boat because of his willingness to play at all costs.

That had to hurt, especially his right leg which he would use to push off while throwing. That is probably why his deep throws looked bad.

Your response just seemed to imply that you think Manning is done because he has looked bad recently and anyone who disagrees is a Manning devotee first and Colts fan second.  I just think the quad injury explains a lot and he probably has a bit more in the tank.  

Done as an NFL QB? Have you seen Mike Glennon, Geno Smith, <insert Texans QB name here> play?!  Manning is a top 10 QB at worst and if he retires before next year it won't be because he can't play anymore.

I think Manning did well the first half, then his performance dropped off a cliff.  I don't think his body can take the wear and tear of an NFL season.  Were he in a role like Earl Morral on the '72 Dolphins, I might feel differently.  But he's not likely to accept such a role - backup to a younger QB (like Luck).  The talking heads said yesterday that he threw "lasers" during practice.  I didn't see any lasers yesterday, and I saw performance that got worse as the game went on.  Not an expert, but I suggest that well describes a guy with talent who is at the end of his rope.  How many homers did Babe Ruth hit in his last game?  Ted Williams?  Sure, they still had talent...but they couldn't do it across a long season. 

Well that was, what, a month ago? Manning has been playing off for closer to two months.

This doesn't change the fact that he has no reliable long ball. All you need to do  to stop Denver's WR's is bump them at the line and throw the timing off. Cover the run and short underneath stuff and you win.

Denver's secondary got exposed. Again. Hard. Like against any other decent or better QB (in Luck's case a very good QB) that pass rush vanishes in to thin air.

I think Manning did well the first half, then his performance dropped off a cliff.  I don't think his body can take the wear and tear of an NFL season.  Were he in a role like Earl Morral on the '72 Dolphins, I might feel differently.  But he's not likely to accept such a role - backup to a younger QB (like Luck).  The talking heads said yesterday that he threw "lasers" during practice.  I didn't see any lasers yesterday, and I saw performance that got worse as the game went on.  Not an expert, but I suggest that well describes a guy with talent who is at the end of his rope.  How many homers did Babe Ruth hit in his last game?  Ted Williams?  Sure, they still had talent...but they couldn't do it across a long season. 

Ted Williams hit a homer in his final at bat.

You can suggest that Manning's skills are diminished and he is more prone to injury.  I suppose you'd be right on both counts.  But suggesting that he has declined to the point that he should be a backup to a younger quarterback is just silly.  Also, keep in mind you are basing this on the second half of the season, when he was likely injured.  

You can suggest that Manning's skills are diminished and he is more prone to injury.  I suppose you'd be right on both counts.  But suggesting that he has declined to the point that he should be a backup to a younger quarterback is just silly.  Also, keep in mind you are basing this on the second half of the season, when he was likely injured.  

I didn't treat you with disrespect.  Why do you respond by terming my opinion as "silly"?

Goodbye.

That coincides with his decline in production. I suppose that's why Denver had been running the ball so much lately. I assumed they were changing/mixing things up in preparation for the playoffs. You could tell something was up last night. That performance was very uncharacteristic. I realize his post-season performance isn't stellar, but it's typically much better than last night. I'm glad the Colts won, but would rather have defeated a healthier Peyton.

I didn't treat you with disrespect. Why do you respond by terming my opinion as "silly"?

Goodbye.

Because it is. He threw for 39 tds this season and they won 12 games. He isnt as good as he used to be, but he is better at this stage than most qbs in the league

As a last response, why do you think I gave Williams and Ruth (4-4, with 3 homers) as examples? Likewise Morrall.