Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I would put Vontae on Gronk

Indeee

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last time we played them Sergio was on him I think and he got his butt handed to him. Gronk is a beast and a huge matchup problem. They ran the ball down our throat last time. Hopefully they can't do that this time. This is where that stud safety that we didn't get in the draft would come in handy. But then Gronk makes just about every safety in the league look foolish. If Landry could cover, he'd be our bests option but as we know he can't cover.

Yeah what rookie S is it that you think is going to take on Gronk? Some people the grass is always greener. We basically had 3 picks in the draft I am pleased with what Grigs got with those 3 picks.

Gronk is a problem for everyone there isn't a TE in the game that comes close to that dude. That being said I am pretty confident we will have something for him

The problem with Davis on gronk (at least to me) is the mismatch in terms of the run game. Gronk is a solid blocking TE and having a CB (even a good run support one) on him is a gamble. If Vontae is lined up over him on a set where Vontae is responsible for outside contain i think things could get dicey. I think Davis would have a hard time matching up consistently in that situation. Maybe in 3rd and long situations we could use that strategy.

On early downs and short I'd rather us bracket gronk using freeman and maybe Adams in man along with heavy chipping while relying on Toler, Davis and butler to matchup 1 on 1 with their WRs. But that's just me. Obviously we'll need to switch things up but we need to keep Jackson and Landry away from him. That's for sure.

I think either way we're going to have a hard time stopping gronk completely. We can't do what Baltimore did though and fail to get solid chips on him off the line. He was running completely untouched too often up the seam in that game from what I saw.

The problem with Davis on gronk (at least to me) is the mismatch in terms of the run game. Gronk is a solid blocking TE and having a CB (even a good run support one) on him is a gamble. If Vontae is lined up over him on a set where Vontae is responsible for outside contain i think things could get dicey. I think Davis would have a hard time matching up consistently in that situation. Maybe in 3rd and long situations we could use that strategy.

On early downs and short I'd rather us bracket gronk using freeman and maybe Adams in man along with heavy chipping while relying on Toler, Davis and butler to matchup 1 on 1 with their WRs. But that's just me. Obviously we'll need to switch things up but we need to keep Jackson and Landry away from him. That's for sure.

I think either way we're going to have a hard time stopping gronk completely. We can't do what Baltimore did though and fail to get solid chips on him off the line. He was running completely untouched too often up the seam in that game from what I saw.

Doesn't seem like any team can really chip him.

People often lose sight of Julian Edelman and Brandon LaFell who have been beating one on one coverage routinely for the last 9 to 10 weeks.. Additionally, TE Tim Wright can hurt you and Danny Amendola has been a playmaker for the last few games and has really risen and is playing at a high level right now.. I think doubling Gronk and bracketing him would be a mistake.. Not to mention Shane Vereen out of the backfield matchup up on linebackers and safeties which Vereen would eat alive... And can't forget about the power running game of Jonas Gray and LeGarrette Blount of course.  Gronk is not the only weapon of course, a variety of different weapons that can hurt you in a variety of different ways.

Jonas Gray was inactive last game. He may still be in the doghouse for being late one day (after torching our Colts for 4 TDs and 200 yards).

I agree with your analysis. I said above that Gronk should be doubled, but you raise some good points. Can't lose track of Edelman or LaFell.  And don't forget Edelman was 1-1 passing against the Ravens.  I doubt they would try that two weeks in a row, but the Colts can't dismiss the possibility.  Edelman sold that by taking a step forward, which drew in the DBs.  That left Amendolla free and clear. 

I hope the coaching staff comes up with some game plan that the Patriots have never seen before and can't adjust to.

Well that is true lol I'm just a little cautious after seeing Gronks rampage on his td last game think we should take a look at the bills first game where Gronk was shut down

Remember, early in the season, Gronk was not 100%.  Not sure when he became 100%, but after that is when the Patriots became tough.  Before that, they lost to 2 teams that failed to make the playoffs.  After he was "back", they played Denver, Colts, Detroit, Green Bay and San Diego and lost only to the Packers at Lambeau (the crappiest field in the NFL!)

Jonas Gray is the kryptonite to the Colts.  They cannot stop him.  Belichick never put him in the doghouse. He was saving Gray for this very moment.  Belichick didn't want to tire Gray out for this rematch, which he knew would happen.  Gray will run 40 times for 250 yards and 5 touchdowns. 

Says the Pats fan :blueshoe:

The Colts DB's versus those wide receivers is a wash. The Broncos have better receivers overall and the Colts shut them down big time. However, Gronk is the one player they can't account for going straight up against the board and the only Pats offensive skill player that really worries me as a Colts fan.

People often lose sight of Julian Edelman and Brandon LaFell who have been beating one on one coverage routinely for the last 9 to 10 weeks.. Additionally, TE Tim Wright can hurt you and Danny Amendola has been a playmaker for the last few games and has really risen and is playing at a high level right now.. I think doubling Gronk and bracketing him would be a mistake.. Not to mention Shane Vereen out of the backfield matchup up on linebackers and safeties which Vereen would eat alive... And can't forget about the power running game of Jonas Gray and LeGarrette Blount of course.  Gronk is not the only weapon of course, a variety of different weapons that can hurt you in a variety of different ways.

Vontae physically can't hang with Gronk. We're going to need our LB'ers to step up. Whoever is rushing the passer on his side must chip him off of his release from the line. And if they have him lined up as a WR someone has to be physical with him within those 5 yards.

The Colts DB's versus those wide receivers is a wash. The Broncos have better receivers overall and the Colts shut them down big time. However, Gronk is the one player they can't account for going straight up against the board and the only Pats offensive skill player that really worries me as a Colts fan.

The only receiver that the Broncos have thats OVERALL better than LaFell or Edelman are Demaryius Thomas, I'll give you that... both Edelman and LaFell are 1,000 yard receivers and PLAY HARDER than the other Bronco receivers not named D-Thomas, especially when the stakes are higher.. And don't forget Danny Amendola who right now is better than Wes.. Just saying.. can't compare .. different week, different schemes and Peyton is not Tom Brady

The only receiver that the Broncos have thats OVERALL better than LaFell or Edelman are Demaryius Thomas, I'll give you that... both Edelman and LaFell are 1,000 yard receivers and PLAY HARDER than the other Bronco receivers not named D-Thomas, especially when the stakes are higher.. And don't forget Danny Amendola who right now is better than Wes.. Just saying.. can't compare .. different week, different schemes and Peyton is not Tom Brady

"Brandon Lafell is better than Emmanuel Sanders"

-Guy who's handle is Football Knowledge

Landry is physical enough to battle with Gronk but no way he can run with him....... Landry coverage ability is equivalant to a pebble covering a lake.

Landry is supposed to be around 4.3 to 4.4 speed, but for some reason he is always trailing these tight ends. He's never step for step most of the time.

Watching the Raven's/Pats game confirmed what we all know.  If you get ANY kind of pressure on Brady, he won't complete his pass.  Time and again, he shows his lack of playmaking skills under duress.  He is ONLY good when his Oline gives him a completely clean pocket.  The key, as always, is get pressure on him.  That's how we win.  If we get no pressure, then it doesn't matter who guards Gronk, we'll lose.

Lest we forget Emmanuel Samuels.  101 receptions.  1,404 yards.  9 TDs.

Put Vontae on Lafells and double up Gronk. But really, just stop the run first.

This. Stopping the run is essential for us to win. I have a feeling Gronk is going to be Gronk no matter what we do. He'll make some big plays in the game unless we can really rattle him early on. 

Watching the Raven's/Pats game confirmed what we all know.  If you get ANY kind of pressure on Brady, he won't complete his pass.  Time and again, he shows his lack of playmaking skills under duress.  He is ONLY good when his Oline gives him a completely clean pocket.  The key, as always, is get pressure on him.  That's how we win.  If we get no pressure, then it doesn't matter who guards Gronk, we'll lose.

What?! Did you watch the second half of the Ravens game? Brady was under duress all game and the Pats did not even attempt a run in the second half unless it was Brady QB sneaking or kneeling down. This notion that he is not good under pressure is a myth this season. He has been more mobile than ever in the pocket and taking off and running more than he has in years ...

"Brandon Lafell is better than Emmanuel Sanders"

-Guy who's handle is Football Knowledge

Over all yes he is... Emmanuel Sanders has had Big Ben and still Antonio Brown has always been the better receiver, while Brandon LaFell has had Cam Newton, and Steve Smith opposite of him... LaFell is more physical, bigger, fast and more complete... Emmanuel Sanders is overrated.. and a product of Peyton Manning

Over all yes he is... Emmanuel Sanders has had Big Ben and still Antonio Brown has always been the better receiver, while Brandon LaFell has had Cam Newton, and Steve Smith opposite of him... LaFell is more physical, bigger, fast and more complete... Emmanuel Sanders is overrated.. and a product of Peyton Manning

Of course Antonio Brown is better than him. That guy has an argument for the best WR in football. But no objective person is taking Brandon LaFell over Emmanuel Sanders. Only bias Pats homers. 

Put Vontae on Lafells and double up Gronk. But really, just stop the run first.

I don't think there is an athlete in league history who could cover Gronk..  he is the wonder of the NFL.. and the most most unstoppable force in the NFL.. and EVER quite possibly, actually a REALLY good possibility, actually a certainty.. regardless of position outside of quarterback.

The way you beat Brady is the same way we beat Manning last week. Play press, take away the middle of the field and hope that your DBs don't allow any YAC. Giving up cushions and allowing their receivers to take little dump-off and juke DBs is exactly how the Pats won last week. 

But, Brady can hit those deep balls better than Peyton did Sunday.