Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck and the checkdown

trueblueblood

I full expect bb to take this away next week.

He may,  but BB can't take away everything....

And if you're going to give up something,  most coaches will gladly give-up the check-down. 

Hey,  I'll take the check-down all game long.    Boom and Tipton do a nice job with it.    We can keep moving the chains with that all game long.....

Take the profit!    I love it!       :thmup:

Nice of you to think that way. Already being negative? The Colts are playing on house money right now. I don't know if the Colts are going to win at New England but the Pats really didn't look all that unbeatable against the Ravens. JMO

He may,  but BB can't take away everything....

And if you're going to give up something,  most coaches will gladly give-up the check-down. 

Hey,  I'll take the check-down all game long.    Boom and Tipton do a nice job with it.    We can keep moving the chains with that all game long.....

Take the profit!    I love it!       :thmup:

thats my point the Colts have used it so much the past couple of weeks I expect them to force the Colts to do something different.

I agree.  Luck is being smarter with the football (though, those 2 INTs he threw were questionable).  Take what the defense gives you.  In the words of Luck himself, you can't go broke taking a profit.  Take the smaller 5 or 6 yard gains instead of going for a risky 30 yard completion and ending up getting 0 or turning the ball over

I think that has been the difference this post season. Luck is taking far less risks and just taking what the defense gives him.

Luck is learning to take what the defense gives him and to not force the ball downfield if it's not there. If he continues this against the Pats, and if the OL continues to play strong as it has in the postseason, and the defense plays stout against the run and great coverage on WRs, we definitely have a shot at going to the Superbowl!

Peyton could have used the take what the defense gives you attitude today on that 3rd and 5 where he had 20 yards of open field and threw a 30 yard incompletion instead running for the first down.

Brady lives on the checkdown. If he takes that away Fleener and Allen will be open at 15 yards all day.

Well last game, they took away Hilton and the deep ball. If they focus on that again, then let Boom keep doing what he's doing now. He ran very well against a stacked Denver front. Even when he was only getting 3-4 yards, you have to remember how good Denver is in run D. He should run well against NE as well. Just don't run it up the middle. Wilfork vs. Holmes is not going to be a favorable match up for us.

Tom Brady, Ray Rice, have made a living on the checkdown.

I've been yelling for Colts to throw to RBs all year, and finally they have and it's working. I love it!

Pats can't take the checkdown away the entire game. Even if they try, then just throw it to whoever runs past Browner.

Send TY and Moncreif deep, clear out the safeties and throw to Allen and Fleener underneath if the LBs are taking away the checkdown.

The ply way to take this away is man-to-man or to blitz.  I think that BB will blitz more and put even more pressure on the OL.  The Broncos made that adjustment in the 2nd half and Boom didn't get as many check downs.  If the Colts see more blitzing, the WRs have to win on the outside and the TEs have to exploit the middle of the field.

thats my point the Colts have used it so much the past couple of weeks I expect them to force the Colts to do something different.

Belichick would rather give those checkdowns than a big play to T.Y.

The checkdowns are a big reason why Luck may not be turning it over as much but are not the primary reason we are winning. The primary reason is the improved play of the OL, hands down. It took Peyton 2006 before the checkdowns to the RBs in the playoffs happened on a regular basis. I am glad Luck is a faster learner.