Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Teams missing starters

jimhegley

Seems like many want to discount the Colts victory over Cincinnati because they were missing a few of their stars.  Well, the fact is so were the Colts, as in Bradshaw, Ballard, Cherilus, and Thomas.  But, we never hear anything about that.  Interesting.

Seems like many want to discount the Colts victory over Cincinnati because they were missing a few of their stars. Well, the fact is so were the Colts, as in Bradshaw, Ballard, Cherilus, and Thomas. But, we never hear anything about that. Interesting.

Mathis

Seems like many want to discount the Colts victory over Cincinnati because they were missing a few of their stars. Well, the fact is so were the Colts, as in Bradshaw, Ballard, Cherilus, and Thomas. But, we never hear anything about that. Interesting.

They said the same thing after we beat Kansas city last year. Even though we had like 20 people on IR.

I wouldn't get too worked up on what the media says. Fact was we were the home team...and a higher seed. We were expected to win that game and rightfully so. We had already beat them once this year at home and they were without a lot of their playmakers....and while every team has injuries there are some missing players that mean more to some teams than others. If we win this weekend that will be something to really get worked up about. Fact is we lost to every single division winner we faced this year. Our best win was against Baltimore and Cincy two playoff teams. People aren't sold on us because we really didn't play well in Denver (outside an onside kick getting us back into it), got blown out by Pittsburgh, Dallas, and NE....so people think we are pretenders. Until we prove them otherwise I can see why they think that. Most people are giving us a real shot to win in Denver...had we played NE there would be no one giving us a shot. Everywhere I've looked most expect Denver and NE to win this weekend but they definately think that both should be on upset alert....especially since Peyton has been playing hurt.

Mathis

I understand what your saying but essentially Mathis isn't a loss. He hasn't suited up a single game for us....we are who we are...and that is a team without him. You can't lose something you never had and we really never had Mathis at all this year. The other losses hurt...especially Bradshaw considering what he gave us in the running game...but everybody is banged up....Denver included so there are no excuses. That said we were favorites going into that game...its a home game against a team that was banged up and beat up...we were by far the better team so people expected us to win.

Seems like many want to discount the Colts victory over Cincinnati because they were missing a few of their stars.  Well, the fact is so were the Colts, as in Bradshaw, Ballard, Cherilus, and Thomas.  But, we never hear anything about that.  Interesting.

You are exactly right!  Everyone acts like the Colts have their full team intact.  We're missing some key players all year too.

I understand what your saying but essentially Mathis isn't a loss. He hasn't suited up a single game for us....we are who we are...and that is a team without him. You can't lose something you never had and we really never had Mathis at all this year. The other losses hurt...especially Bradshaw considering what he gave us in the running game...but everybody is banged up....Denver included so there are no excuses. That said we were favorites going into that game...its a home game against a team that was banged up and beat up...we were by far the better team so people expected us to win.

He included Ballard, so i threw Mathis in there. But i get what you're saying, and i agree

Ir and missing a game is different. . Ir means wont be back till next year missing a game means you'll be back

Who is discounting the Colts victory?

Nationally, nobody cares about the Colts

I hear this all the time...and I disagree. No offense mark but I think people hear only what they want to hear...and the rest flies right on by them. I understand big market teams like the Cowboys/NY teams/NE are going to get a lot of attention but I see many pundits and prognosticators hate on those teams too. To be fair there is a lot of love for teams like NE and Seattle and for good reason...the whole season they have basically dominated the competition or at least won convincingly. Teams like the Colts who haven't beat a conference winner (lost to NE, Pitts, Den, and Dal) aren't going to be seen as a favorite. I honestly don't see what the fuss is about. We beat a Cincy team that was without a good deal of their offensive weapons and only recently lost them so they haven't had time to adjust to playing without them. We had them at home and they had a qb that hasn't even won a playoff game or even broke 50 qbr in any of his performances. Until we prove it to people we are going to be the underdog.

All that said I've seen plenty of people like Colin Cowherd and others talk about Andrew and fully was behind the Colts winning that game. If anything I see more people questioning the Broncos and Peytons arm issues more than questioning if the Colts can win. Most insiders have said both Indy and Baltimore have a real shot at pulling upsets this week....and even Carolina at Seattle....the only game I've not really heard anyone give the team a real shot is Dallas at GB. Nobody expects them to go up there and beat Rodgers. They said it would be a moral victory if Romo can just keep it close. I just don't buy the big bad media bias. Maybe I'm not looking for it....but I rarely see shows week after week criticize the Colts. I think most question their consistancy...but almost all of them RAVE about Luck...just that he doesn't have enough help....which to me is a fair accessment. As we saw this week if he gets help up front and on defense we can be very impressive.

I hear this all the time...and I disagree. No offense mark but I think people hear only what they want to hear...and the rest flies right on by them. I understand big market teams like the Cowboys/NY teams/NE are going to get a lot of attention but I see many pundits and prognosticators hate on those teams too. To be fair there is a lot of love for teams like NE and Seattle and for good reason...the whole season they have basically dominated the competition or at least won convincingly. Teams like the Colts who haven't beat a conference winner (lost to NE, Pitts, Den, and Dal) aren't going to be seen as a favorite. I honestly don't see what the fuss is about. We beat a Cincy team that was without a good deal of their offensive weapons and only recently lost them so they haven't had time to adjust to playing without them. We had them at home and they had a qb that hasn't even won a playoff game or even broke 50 qbr in any of his performances. Until we prove it to people we are going to be the underdog.

All that said I've seen plenty of people like Colin Cowherd and others talk about Andrew and fully was behind the Colts winning that game. If anything I see more people questioning the Broncos and Peytons arm issues more than questioning if the Colts can win. Most insiders have said both Indy and Baltimore have a real shot at pulling upsets this week....and even Carolina at Seattle....the only game I've not really heard anyone give the team a real shot is Dallas at GB. Nobody expects them to go up there and beat Rodgers. They said it would be a moral victory if Romo can just keep it close. I just don't buy the big bad media bias. Maybe I'm not looking for it....but I rarely see shows week after week criticize the Colts. I think most question their consistancy...but almost all of them RAVE about Luck...just that he doesn't have enough help....which to me is a fair accessment. As we saw this week if he gets help up front and on defense we can be very impressive.

Solid post. Cowherd loves Luck--I listen to him every morning and he pretty much finds a way to praise Luck during each show. He had Kravitz on today and brought up the no support. Kravitz said yes, but this is only year 3 of a rebuild, so talent level is justified. I do think fans and the media lack perspective as to where this team is and should be currently but that's off topic. 

Pretty much all media is picking chalk for the games this weekend but all are also saying upsets could happen. I think 1-2 of the higher seeds will lose, but not really sure which ones. If the Colts play almost flawless for 4 quarters, they can beat Denver. Same with Dallas and Balt. I suppose that's a pretty obvious statement but more to the point, Indy, Dallas, and Baltimore all have the talent level (i.e., QB and various other positions depending on team) to win this weekend. I really don't think Carolina has a shot. 

One last thing, Luck also helped himself during the Bengals game. If he continues to take those check downs, the Colts will be hard to stop on offense because as soon as the D adjusts the deep ball will be there. Can't wait for Sunday! 

Solid post. Cowherd loves Luck--I listen to him every morning and he pretty much finds a way to praise Luck during each show. He had Kravitz on today and brought up the no support. Kravitz said yes, but this is only year 3 of a rebuild, so talent level is justified. I do think fans and the media lack perspective as to where this team is and should be currently but that's off topic. 

Pretty much all media is picking chalk for the games this weekend but all are also saying upsets could happen. I think 1-2 of the higher seeds will lose, but not really sure which ones. If the Colts play almost flawless for 4 quarters, they can beat Denver. Same with Dallas and Balt. I suppose that's a pretty obvious statement but more to the point, Indy, Dallas, and Baltimore all have the talent level (i.e., QB and various other positions depending on team) to win this weekend. I really don't think Carolina has a shot. 

One last thing, Luck also helped himself during the Bengals game. If he continues to take those check downs, the Colts will be hard to stop on offense because as soon as the D adjusts the deep ball will be there. Can't wait for Sunday! 

Great post! Not only do I agree because you agreed with me lol but I agree with your accessment as well. I really don't see a way that Baltimore beats NE....to me its the longest shot because Tom just doesn't turn over the ball and that secondary is well below adequate. They have to get a huge pass rush and stop the run and even with that I'm not sure Flacco can have another flawless game against this Belicheck defense....it isn't the pourous secondary he faced a few years ago. To me Carolina still has a chance if Carolina can run the ball....and Cam runs and takes care of it. Long shot but they can win. Their defense is playing much better. Should be a good weekend of football..my favorite every year.

Great post! Not only do I agree because you agreed with me lol but I agree with your accessment as well. I really don't see a way that Baltimore beats NE....to me its the longest shot because Tom just doesn't turn over the ball and that secondary is well below adequate. They have to get a huge pass rush and stop the run and even with that I'm not sure Flacco can have another flawless game against this Belicheck defense....it isn't the pourous secondary he faced a few years ago. To me Carolina still has a chance if Carolina can run the ball....and Cam runs and takes care of it. Long shot but they can win. Their defense is playing much better. Should be a good weekend of football..my favorite every year.

Mostly like Balt because Flacco has been on fire in the playoffs the last few years and they have a history of playing well at NE. Something about that D always gives Brady fits.

I like Dallas for the same reasons you like Carolina. GB's defense isn't that good. If Dallas can continue to do what they did all year on offense, they have a real shot simply by limiting Rodgers' opportunities. I actually think GB and Indy are very similar teams, with GB being a notch above in experience and talent. 

If I had to choose two upsets, I'd go with Colts (homer) and Dallas. 

Mostly like Balt because Flacco has been on fire in the playoffs the last few years and they have a history of playing well at NE. Something about that D always gives Brady fits.

I like Dallas for the same reasons you like Carolina. GB's defense isn't that good. If Dallas can continue to do what they did all year on offense, they have a real shot simply by limiting Rodgers' opportunities. I actually think GB and Indy are very similar teams, with GB being a notch above in experience and talent. 

If I had to choose two upsets, I'd go with Colts (homer) and Dallas. 

Oh I agree the Colts have the best shot at an upset...with Dallas second. I just wonder if Romo will be able to play up to par in the spotlight in a very hostile environment. Weather, fans, on the road....GB likely stacking the box against the run. Also NO WAY Dallas secondary can stop Rodgers....no freaking way. GB will put a ton of pressure on Dallas to keep up with them...and I think that plays right into a Romo forced throw or two. If Dallas could run the ball and take time off the clock then yes they can pull the upset but I just don't trust them. Just like I wouldn't trust Cam to have a clean game or for Peyton to go into foxboro if he had too....thats just asking a lot. Baltimore traditionaly matched up well against NE....but NE has Gronk...and Lafell...they have Edelman and a nice complimentary running game.....but most importantly they have Revis/Browner and company and Flacco hasn't faced that Belicheck defense with TEETH. Its a whole different ball game and Baltimore is no where as talented as it was...and NE is much much better than a few years ago. Its going to take a great game from all the road teams to win this weekend....I agree we have the best shot...but if I had to put my house on it....I'd go with all 4 home teams...even if by just a smidge.

Dg;

You misunderstand me. I didn't say nobody likes them,. I said nobody has much feeling for them. They dont care enough to look at the starters and analyze who';s doing what. . Even when the Colts were winning every year in the last decade..national folks didn't know who played for them. It was all about Peyton...

Almost all national comments now about the Colts refer to Andrew Luck...its a one-stop comment shop.

The NFL Net has McAfee on and Deion mentions Ty Hilton, But the discussion either begins or ends with Andrew

He's easy to like. But they don't know the team like they do Dallas or NE or Denver..

And since national folks don't know who plays for the Colts.. they don't know who's missing when they're injured...which was what Jimmy was asking at the start of this thread.

I disagree. Losing Mathis is equivalent with losing anyone through injury. Colts have counted on Mathis coming back week 5 so they didn't draft an extra pass rusher in superior rounds, neither they acquired an experienced free agent pass rusher in the off season.

Dg;

You misunderstand me. I didn't say nobody likes them,. I said nobody has much feeling for them. They dont care enough to look at the starters and analyze who';s doing what. . Even when the Colts were winning every year in the last decade..national folks didn't know who played for them. It was all about Peyton...

Almost all national comments now about the Colts refer to Andrew Luck...its a one-stop comment shop.

The NFL Net has McAfee on and Deion mentions Ty Hilton, But the discussion either begins or ends with Andrew

He's easy to like. But they don't know the team like they do Dallas or NE or Denver..

And since national folks don't know who plays for the Colts.. they don't know who's missing when they're injured...which was what Jimmy was asking at the start of this thread.

I think that's true of the national media for pretty much every team. Most just do general, base analysis. There's a few who watch tape and discuss the team in an informative, knowledgable way. Andy Benoit does this for a wide range of teams on twitter.

This board has Thomas, a career backup severely overrated, Cherilus has been killing us, and missing our RB`s is NOTHING compared to the Bengals Sunday missing their version of TY, a healthy Reggie,  D Allen, Fleener, DQ Jax and Freeman.

Get a grip.

It was the same garbage last year when the Colts were banged up and without a bunch of players vs KC. All we kept hearing about was how the comeback was made against a weakened KC team missing a bunch of players. It's a pretty stupid argument for any opposition against the Colts.

AJ Green has missed a few games this season, so it's not like they scurried to adjust. Besides, he and Dalton haven't really tore up the playoffs previously.

Dg;

I agree on a few of the talking heads this team begins and ends with AL. That said many teams just get scanned over for just their superstars. SD I never hear about anyone but Rivers and Gates..the list goes on and on for teams. I'm not going to sit here and say the media doesn't give more time and information about the big name teams ie (Dallas, NY teams, NE, DEN mostly). If your talking about knowledgable people outside the knuckleheads on ESPN/FOX Sports your going to get some intelligent discussion about football. IMO its up to the local media to give you the best insight to your team if your expecting really informed coverage. They know the pulse of a team and locker room and players much better than a 2 min segment on a national show. If your listening to national radio/TV for a local perspective...then I think its your fault for tuning in. Now if your saying our local guys just talk about AL all the time and give poor coverage etc then thats a legit gripe if thats whats happening but these national shows...they got ratings and time restraints. They aren't going to delve deep and discuss the intimate details of one linemans blocking vs another for our team. They are going to hit up stories that aren't just interesting to our little market but to the entire country. Most people are fascinated by Luck and thats probably it. We don't have a lot of super stars. Had fantasy football been really really popular back in the day we would have seen a lot more stories on Harrison and Wayne and James etc but right now thats about all people want to talk about. Fantasy impact players and superstars. I've seen more time spent talking about Boom Herron the last month of the year (an avg backup if that) because he could get people some fantasy points then I care to hear for the rest of my life.

You put a story about Werners transition etc nobody is going to tune into that but a few Colt fans. Fantasy football has turned most NFL TV/RADIO programing into bubble gum pop music for lack of a better analogy. I suggest finding good local programming or a few of the really good shows/people to watch and then turn it off of the ESPN/NFL network crap. Your probably watching way too much tv as it is....last thing you need is to listen those networks spoon feed your their nfl perspective to you like baby food. Your not going to get a very good perspective of the league, your team, or any players outside the big name people. I don't know why it bothers people but it will never change....I mean Seattle is a SB winner and possibly back to back winner considering how good they are and they get hardly anything said about them outside Lynch story where he doesn't talk to media, Sherman (replay his rant), or Wilson's leadership and work for the team and in the community....but the rest of the team...basically an entire mystery...they get hardly any coverage...well they don't get you ratings....so if your going to watch crappy tv that just talks about stuff that gets you ratings then you are getting exactly what your asking for. I think your just listening/watching the wrong stuff my friend.

AJ Green has missed a few games this season, so it's not like they scurried to adjust. Besides, he and Dalton haven't really tore up the playoffs previously.

I hear you...just saying....their offense was extremely limited going into the game....without Green/Gresham....they basically were expecting Hill to carry them....less the Red Rifle attempt to do that. Cincy was not expected to do anything against us. Coming into the playoffs I would say the weakest team besides the Bengals would have been the Cardinals....we were expected to win...and we did that. Holding serve isn't a big story honestly....especially when the story is two small regional teams and there were other bigger market/sexier story lines to discuss....ie Dallas and Pittsburgh. No one is crying that the Panthers win over Arizona didn't get more pub around here? Why not? We just aren't a big story compared to those others (in the national media). However if we beat Denver....you can bet there will be some big noise come out of that. I just think people get all upset because we live in fly over states. Well I love it here...if you want to have your team front and center all the time then be a fan of one of those big market teams. I just don't get the little man syndrome so many people on here share. Like they feel slighted if the big ol national media doesn't talk about their favorite team. People are just going to have to get over it. I mean the San Antonio Spurs have had one of the best run organizations for the last decade and a half and they get little love in the national media....its all Celtics, Lakers, Knicks...its life...we know this is going to happen but yet we start thread after thread about it all the time. Either quit watching the crap and find a real informative show or be happy with the AL segments when they come on....because thats all you are likely to get if you keep watching....EVER.

I hear you...just saying....their offense was extremely limited going into the game....without Green/Gresham....they basically were expecting Hill to carry them....less the Red Rifle attempt to do that. Cincy was not expected to do anything against us. Coming into the playoffs I would say the weakest team besides the Bengals would have been the Cardinals....we were expected to win...and we did that. Holding serve isn't a big story honestly....especially when the story is two small regional teams and there were other bigger market/sexier story lines to discuss....ie Dallas and Pittsburgh. No one is crying that the Panthers win over Arizona didn't get more pub around here? Why not? We just aren't a big story compared to those others (in the national media). However if we beat Denver....you can bet there will be some big noise come out of that. I just think people get all upset because we live in fly over states. Well I love it here...if you want to have your team front and center all the time then be a fan of one of those big market teams. I just don't get the little man syndrome so many people on here share. Like they feel slighted if the big ol national media doesn't talk about their favorite team. People are just going to have to get over it. I mean the San Antonio Spurs have had one of the best run organizations for the last decade and a half and they get little love in the national media....its all Celtics, Lakers, Knicks...its life...we know this is going to happen but yet we start thread after thread about it all the time. Either quit watching the crap and find a real informative show or be happy with the AL segments when they come on....because thats all you are likely to get if you keep watching....EVER.

Not sure what all that has to do with me, but ok lol

I don't understand the logic. How long have we had Mathis? More than last year? Just because he was out all year doesn't mean we didn't feel the loss of a player we have had for how many years?

How is this not a loss for our season?

I don't understand, nor do I understand those who agree with you.

I don't understand the logic. How long have we had Mathis? More than last year? Just because he was out all year doesn't mean we didn't feel the loss of a player we have had for how many years?

How is this not a loss for our season?

I don't understand, nor do I understand those who agree with you.

What I'm saying is once he went down before the season started. It was like we never had him. You don't game plan, play differently, or feel bad since from day 1 this year we have prepared and played every game without him. As fans we can moan about it but the team isn't thinking about it one bit...nor should it matter. Your team is who your team is. Now when you lose a guy in the game or say during the year you have to adjust...change your plans. We didn't have to do that with Mathis...we've played all year as if he doesn't exist....now when a guy like Bradshaw or someone else goes down...you have to adjust on the fly...and that week or the next your likely to see pains from his loss...nobody is going to feel sorry for us but I can see why we could have an excuse to say we were trying to adjust....but like I was saying. We didn't have Mathis....we didn't have to change anything. Just like Denver losing their leading tackler/coverage lb in Trevathan. They haven't had him all season so they aren't really losing anything without his play this week. They have prepared knowing they wouldnt have him. Is it a loss...sure in the grand scheme of things...but its not effecting the teams preparation or ability to win this game this week. Every team has guys out...if the guy has been out for the whole season that isn't as hard to adjust to as one that they just suffered. We aren't counting on Mathis...but we may have been counting on say Toler if he ends up being hurt and not performing. We all know the team would be drasticaly different with Mathis...but the Colts of 2014 has never had him...so we aren't missing what we didn't have this year.

Also if you really watch highlights when ESPN and NFL Network, when they're talking about a team, I swear they show highlights against the Colts more than any other team.  Has anyone noticed that?  Seriously start to watch for it though.  I've noticed it for years.  It's like the media sends subliminal messages to fans that the Colts are always getting beat.  Some sort of conspiracy theory.  LOL I'm joking but really it drives me CRAZY.