Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I'm not sure what to think right now..

Indeee

I'm glad we are in the playoffs, however like many others I'm not sure I see anything to be excited about.

Among a lot of questions/concerns I have one thing that's baffling me is why we don't even attempt to run the ball when we are on the 5 yard line or closer to the goal line.

It seems all we ever do is pass the ball. regardless of it working or not I find myself screaming to run it and alas no one can hear me through the tv.. Ha!!

I'd imagine we don't run the ball near the goal line because our run game has not exactly shown that it can get the job done.  I suppose we might catch someone by surprise every once in a while, but we have a better chance of getting six by passing at this point.

Multiple times this year, we have been near the goal line and stuffed on rushing plays.  We have scored rushing too, but not as consistently.

I really don't mind passing the ball a lot at the beginning of the game in order to set up the run.  God knows it doesn't work the other way around.

My complaint is that we should be throwing a lot more short passes.  There's nothing wrong with a six yard pass and there's no shame in throwing for four yards when it's third and two.

I'm more concerned about our defense than our offense anyway.

I agree, however why don't we try to get our run game off tackle? It seems to me all the play call are designed up the gut or over guard most times.

Yesterday for example first play after Shipley goes down we call a run play up the middle? right after we lose our center? makes no sense. And then trent is running sweeps and boom is running up the gut, this makes no sense

I still don't think the running game is showing enough, however I don't believe Pep showed the full hand yesterday regarding the changes to the scheme he made.  I did like some of the short passing that I saw yesterday, and I still stay we need to continue to evolve things to where the short passing game can be used as a defacto running game.  It would be another way to keep us in short and managable.  We have to get back to hogging the ball!

I'm glad we are in the playoffs, however like many others I'm not sure I see anything to be excited about.

Among a lot of questions/concerns I have one thing that's baffling me is why we don't even attempt to run the ball when we are on the 5 yard line or closer to the goal line.

It seems all we ever do is pass the ball. regardless of it working or not I find myself screaming to run it and alas no one can hear me through the tv.. Ha!!

I agree.  I find myself screaming at the TV....THROW THE DANG BALL!!!!

I get the sentiment of the OP.

I'm glad the Colts finished with a strong record, won the division, and made the playoffs. But, I don't feel any big sense of excitement about making a run.

I *hope* that something clicks and they suddenly start playing up to their full potential.

All I know is, I do *NOT* want to be the team that gives Cincinnati its first playoff win in 24 years.

It's really simple what to think right now. It's the playoffs, it's do or die, so you've got to think one game at a time. The way I see it, I like us at home over the Bengals. Yes, our run game is weak and our defense is inconsistent. But the Bengals are a team we've already beat 27-0. It's by no means a lock, but I'd give us the slight edge here certainly. Worry about Denver or New England if we can make it out alive.

I liked holmes at center with jack at right tackle and shipley at guard. I feel like that is our best o-line that we put out yesterday with maybe Louis being the exception. I noticed yesterday both Tipton and Herron ran through the tackle while Trent slowed down before every hit. I was really impressed with Tipton.

Well I made mistake as I thought Shipley was at center. Anyway I still think Boom needs to get off tackle and sweeps to utilize his speed and quickness, not Trent. Also I think we need to run the ball more or at least try to on the goal line

Cincinnati is by far and away the most favorable matchup out of the possibilities. 

Agreed, especially when it's looking like AJ Green again may not be available to them when they play us.  Our DB's where able to pretty much smother their receivers last time we played them.  

They are ultra thin at receiver when AJ Green isn't playing.  

Just sit back and enjoy it. 

If you feel too imbalanced, just close your eyes and remember 2011. 

I liked holmes at center with jack at right tackle and shipley at guard. I feel like that is our best o-line that we put out yesterday with maybe Louis being the exception. I noticed yesterday both Tipton and Herron ran through the tackle while Trent slowed down before every hit. I was really impressed with Tipton.

no way that ends up being our line though. Cherilus is coming back and hopefully healthy, Mewhort will be LG, Holmes will be C, and sadly... Louis will be RG even though I think it should be either Nixon or Reitz.

COLTS are set up for one and done.Win over spiraling BENGALS at home, then get hammered next. week on road.Time to get rid of olde RAVEN regime

Watch much football the Bengals have won 6 of 8 with a win vs the 2 Seed not exactly spiraling and if we win we would not be one and done 

I'm excited any time I get a chance to watch my Colts play. Whether it's preseason week 1 or the Super Bowl, I'm excited. 

Should be a great game this weekend, and my only hope is to be able to see another after that.....and after that....and after that. If not, gotta wait until the end of next summer (ouch, I just made myself sad). 

I'm glad we are in the playoffs, however like many others I'm not sure I see anything to be excited about.Among a lot of questions/concerns I have one thing that's baffling me is why we don't even attempt to run the ball when we are on the 5 yard line or closer to the goal line.It seems all we ever do is pass the ball. regardless of it working or not I find myself screaming to run it and alas no one can hear me through the tv.. Ha!!

I feel the same way, but then again.. You never know.

At this point I am not convinced the Colts will make it past this Sunday... If they do then what do we have to look forward to?  Another whipping at the hands of Brady the Magnificent and company.  Unless The Ravens can make it past the Steelers in which case we go to Denver to face Manning.  That would be a more favorable matchup if you ask me...

Either way, the way this team has been playing the last several weeks, I am thinking this Sunday will be the last game.

I hope I am wrong.

GREEN wont play-----I think your sadly mistaken

I am not sure what Green playing has to do with your original post. I think we will beat the Bengals. You said we would be one and done that means you are saying we are going to lose to the Bengals one and done means one game and out of the playoffs.

Then you went on to say the Bengals are spiraling which is absolutely not true they are 6-2 in their last 8 including a win on MNF over the Bronco's the only team they have lost to is the Steelers twice,  possibly the hottest team in the AFC right now.  

I never said anything about the availability of Green. The only thing that concerns me is the last time we played the Bengals they were still fiddling with getting Bernard touches that had not yet realized Jeremy Hill is a beast. We should be able to lock down the passing game make them one dimensional and handle them at home. IMO

Again I responded to you saying we would be one and done and the Bengals we spiraling both cases you are way off base as far as the Bengals spiraling simply looking at their record would show you that isn't the case. If you think we beat the Bengals you don't know what one and done means.    

At this point I am not convinced the Colts will make it past this Sunday... If they do then what do we have to look forward to?  Another whipping at the hands of Brady the Magnificent and company.  Unless The Ravens can make it past the Steelers in which case we go to Denver to face Manning.  That would be a more favorable matchup if you ask me...

Either way, the way this team has been playing the last several weeks, I am thinking this Sunday will be the last game.

I hope I am wrong.

I think you are wrong we will win vs the Bengals and I think the Steelers could have some trouble with the Ravens without Bell things could really fall into place for us. I think whoever gets Denver in the 2nd round sends them home.

I am not sure what Green playing has to do with your original post. I think we will beat the Bengals. You said we would be one and done that means you are saying we are going to lose to the Bengals one and done means one game and out of the playoffs.

Then you went on to say the Bengals are spiraling which is absolutely not true they are 6-2 in their last 8 including a win on MNF over the Bronco's the only team they have lost to is the Steelers twice,  possibly the hottest team in the AFC right now.  

I never said anything about the availability of Green. The only thing that concerns me is the last time we played the Bengals they were still fiddling with getting Bernard touches that had not yet realized Jeremy Hill is a beast. We should be able to lock down the passing game make them one dimensional and handle them at home. IMO

Again I responded to you saying we would be one and done and the Bengals we spiraling both cases you are way off base as far as the Bengals spiraling simply looking at their record would show you that isn't the case. If you think we beat the Bengals you don't know what one and done means.    

enjoy sunday------seasons over next weekend

I'm excited any time I get a chance to watch my Colts play. Whether it's preseason week 1 or the Super Bowl, I'm excited. 

Should be a great game this weekend, and my only hope is to be able to see another after that.....and after that....and after that. If not, gotta wait until the end of next summer (ouch, I just made myself sad). 

Exactly!I'd much rather be in the playoffs then not.I remeber all those years when our season was over by halloween.