Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hakeem Nicks

mattceinicram

Shocked we were targeting him so much. Would have thought it would be the Fleener and Allen show. Man Allen had a terrible game. Reggie must have passed the case of the drops to him. I was also expecting Moncrief to burn them at least once. We were overall dirt today.

It's just a matter of him getting targets. Nothing more.

Not just targets, but accurate passes!  That's what the problem has been all along.  Luck rarely threw to him because a lack of confidence on both parts.  Their chemistry is off, and caused for inaccurate passes.  In return Nicks was frusterated because he didn't get targeted, or even a chance to catch the ball if it was thrown to him, so he didn't always give 100%.  The last 2 games he stepped up, as he would've the whole time if he was treated like some of the other recievers or TE's. 

That's how I interpreted everything so far anyway.  I mean if you are a star, and don't get the ball, it hurts your ego.  Hakeem not able to get separation is more of a lack of effort, not skill.  The problem is similar to what Trent is STILL going thru.  His line is crap, and has no confidence, so his effort struggles.

Hopefully this is the end of Hakeems critics.  He deserves more targets, and an opportunity to build chemistry with Luck.  TBH I never faulted Hakeem but with some of his effort he has given, but I put that back on Luck for not having confidence in Nicks.  If the ball is delivered properly, Hakeem will make plays!  End of story!  I really hope he can continue to finish the season strong, and is given a nice contract at seasons end.  I really hope it's not too late!

I have so much respect for Reggie, but I want what's best for the future.  That being said, we should let Wayne go, offer Nicks a 3-4 year deal with an incentive based contract.  Resign TY before next year so he doesn't hit the market, and still have Moncrief.  This trio WOULD be the best receiving corp in 2 years.  Coming into this year we had so much talent at the WR position it actually did hinder us.  Nicks was played as a 4th WR (who can really do a whole lot in that position).  Believe it or not too much talent is a problem.  Although it isn't turning out bad, but I bet Rogers would've been almost as good as Moncrief or Nicks, Whalen is like a Wes Welker or Julian Edelman type of scrapper who is just put on the shelf as an insurance policy.  Very under utilized.  We had character problems for a few WR's who were dumped.  Who knows if they were looked up to they perhaps might have turned out to be role models with the right guidance. 

We need to commit to certain individuals, and not have 6 solid WR's and still have high expectations on 4-5-6 if we need to call upon them.  With the 3 players listed, we have a combination of lethal weapons.

TY: Speed, Possesion, and deep threat

Nicks: Strong body/hands and Jump ball ability (with great experience)

Moncrief:  Quick and has the ability to come down with jump balls

Then our TE's compliment each other very well also. 

He had seperation today, something he didn't have early in the season even when he did get targets

He had a bunch of short passes and screens thrown his way... It was very much due to being included in the game plan and being heavily targeted. Most of the time when he was thrown to before, the balls were either poorly thrown or uncatchable.

I think the Colts were treating this game like a practice.

He had a bunch of short passes and screens thrown his way... It was very much due to being included in the game plan and being heavily targeted. Most of the time when he was thrown to before, the balls were either poorly thrown or uncatchable.

I think the Colts were treating this game like a practice.

We have to hope so.

He just hasn't boumced back the way I thought he would this year.

Just because he had 3-4 drops last game, that doesn't define his season!  Go look at his numbers and compare them to other TE's around the league.  His last few games have been poor, but he is also coming back from an injury.  His stats thru the first half of the season were very similar to Julius Thomas.

Lol average game and ppl are like "nicks is back in form" he's been a non factor all season could care less about this game when it was a blowout in the first qtr all that was garbage time stats from the 2nd qtr and beyond

He never left his form.  If you really watch every game you would have noticed he never had a good opportunity.  When he did get snaps he was always a 4th target, and when Luck did throw it to him half of those were out of his reach.  That's why he is left with the numbers that he has.  It drives me crazy when people put him in the same category as DHB or label him as a bust.  So what are your expectations for a WR listed that far down on a depth chart with an emerging rookie stealing snaps, also keep in mind Allen and Fleeners roles.  You think it's pretty easy for somebody like that to jump out of the gates and end up with 1200 yds recieving.  You must think Luck should have about 6500 passing yards also right?  Because if you expected Nicks to have a stellar season you must have expected Luck to put up numbers like that.  No way is Nicks going to have outstanding numbers with his role, given Luck only looks his way when others arent producing.  People have way too high expectations from him and Luck had absolutely no confidence in him, or chemistry with him!

Like I said he is the same player.  You see Pep working him into the offense more, being creative, hence he is alot more productive.  It's not rocket science, but common sense rather!

He had seperation today, something he didn't have early in the season even when he did get targets

He was catching balls thrown underneath coverage when Dallas was keeping everything in front of them.  We need a true compliment to TY that's going to produce 1st downs by beating one-on-one coverage.

He never left his form. If you really watch every game you would have noticed he never had a good opportunity. When he did get snaps he was always a 4th target, and when Luck did throw it to him half of those were out of his reach. That's why he is left with the numbers that he has. It drives me crazy when people put him in the same category as DHB or label him as a bust. So what are your expectations for a WR listed that far down on a depth chart with an emerging rookie stealing snaps, also keep in mind Allen and Fleeners roles. You think it's pretty easy for somebody like that to jump out of the gates and end up with 1200 yds recieving. You must think Luck should have about 6500 passing yards also right? Because if you expected Nicks to have a stellar season you must have expected Luck to put up numbers like that. No way is Nicks going to have outstanding numbers with his role, given Luck only looks his way when others arent producing. People have way too high expectations from him and Luck had absolutely no confidence in him, or chemistry with him!

Like I said he is the same player. You see Pep working him into the offense more, being creative, hence he is alot more productive. It's not rocket science, but common sense rather!

Perfectly said!