Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Khaled Holmes

As the perplexing situation that is the interior of our offensive line continues to unfold, I am left wondering, why is Khaled Holmes disliked by this coaching staff? 

Jon Harrison has his moments at center, but he continues to be good for a mental error or two each game. Yesterday, he committed a false start. How often do you see a center commit a false start? 

AQ Shipley was inactive yesterday, although he did seem to struggle at times against the Browns. 

My big question, however, is why is Khaled Holmes not playing? I thought he looked great at right guard against the Browns. I am not sure what his grade was for the game, but the blocking did appear to improve after he replaced Reitz. Yet, yesterday Lance Louis gets the start. He seemed fine, but it helps when the defense drops eight into coverage consistently. 

I would absolutely LOVE to see Khaled Holmes get some quality snaps to finish the season. Let's see what he has to offer before we spend another draft pick on an offensive lineman we may not need. Lord knows the defense needs all the help (read draft picks) it can get. 

As the perplexing situation that is the interior of our offensive line continues to unfold, I am left wondering, why is Khaled Holmes disliked by this coaching staff? 

Jon Harrison has his moments at center, but he continues to be good for a mental error or two each game. Yesterday, he committed a false start. How often do you see a center commit a false start? 

AQ Shipley was inactive yesterday, although he did seem to struggle at times against the Browns. 

My big question, however, is why is Khaled Holmes not playing? I thought he looked great at right guard against the Browns. I am not sure what his grade was for the game, but the blocking did appear to improve after he replaced Reitz. Yet, yesterday Lance Louis gets the start. He seemed fine, but it helps when the defense drops eight into coverage consistently. 

I would absolutely LOVE to see Khaled Holmes get some quality snaps to finish the season. Let's see what he has to offer before we spend another draft pick on an offensive lineman we may not need. Lord knows the defense needs all the help (read draft picks) it can get. 

O-Line wise Pagano, Griggs and the coaching has been a failure.

Holmes was active this game over Shipley as the backup to Harrison and the guards. If he had started at guard and gotten hurt there would have been no backup center. See the method to their madness?

JMO but I bet Holmes proves to be the Best O-Lineman on our roster of so so at best lineman.

O-Line wise Pagano, Griggs and the coaching has been a failure.

Holmes was active this game over Shipley as the backup to Harrison and the guards. If he had started at guard and gotten hurt there would have been no backup center. See the method to their madness?

JMO but I bet Holmes proves to be the Best O-Lineman on our roster of so so at best linema

I have no idea why Holmes isn't playing. I've been as perplexed at this OL situation as you have. Nothing makes sense. Grigson said in the off season after Costa retired that "Khaled is our Center". Gets a little banged up in pre-season, but they don't work him back into the line up when he returns. I don't get it at all.

Harrison is clearly too inexperienced to be starting at center. But that's sorta been the story of the Colts since the new staff came in. Very perplexing coaching decisions and in-decisions. They've had an issue with playing the best player, regardless of the situation.

Grigson's public comments about Holmes is that the kid can't seem to stay out of the trainer's room.

He's always dealing with dents and dings that the staff wonders about....

Hopefully,  he gets past that problem next year.....    we could use him playing healthy week in and week out...

Grigson's public comments about Holmes is that the kid can't seem to stay out of the trainer's room.

He's always dealing with dents and dings that the staff wonders about....

Hopefully, he gets past that problem next year..... we could use him playing healthy week in and week out...

That was said like 3 months ago, he's been healthy since while Thornton, Harrison, Reitz, Mewhort, Nixon all been in the training room and he still can't get his shot that he deserves

That was said like 3 months ago, he's been healthy since while Thornton, Harrison, Reitz, Mewhort, Nixon all been in the training room and he still can't get his shot that he deserves

Complete conjecture, but some have read into that statement from Grigson and inferred that there are questions about Holmes' toughness and ability to perform when he's not exactly 100%. Grigson said 'Khaled knows what he needs to do.' So it's a matter of opinion as to what he actually deserves.

And I say that as someone who would really, REALLY like to see Holmes secure a starting spot, preferably at center.

Complete conjecture, but some have read into that statement from Grigson and inferred that there are questions about Holmes' toughness and ability to perform when he's not exactly 100%. Grigson said 'Khaled knows what he needs to do.' So it's a matter of opinion as to what he actually deserves.

And I say that as someone who would really, REALLY like to see Holmes secure a starting spot, preferably at center.

I think he would make a good RG in our scheme....maybe even a great one, At Center with as much as we run up the middle we need someone that can blow a NT off the ball.....That's much more Jonatthan Harrison (when his technique is good....coincidently I think that is an underlying reason coaches went with Harrison over Shipley....not the only reason of course) then Holmes, Holmes in my opinion should make a fantastic pulling Guard and can get up to the 2nd level with ease

I think he would make a good RG in our scheme....maybe even a great one, At Center with as much as we run up the middle we need someone that can blow a NT off the ball.....That's much more Jonatthan Harrison (when his technique is good....coincidently I think that is an underlying reason coaches went with Harrison over Shipley....not the only reason of course) then Holmes, Holmes in my opinion should make a fantastic pulling Guard and can get up to the 2nd level with ease

Harrison has snap issues, and I don't think he makes presnap decisions and picks up protections like a quality center should. For no tangible reason, I think Holmes would be superior at controlling the line and making calls. And if you have someone with the range and ability of Holmes at center, it gives you more options with blocking schemes. Also, I haven't given up on Thornton at RG, and I don't think the staff has, either.

Sort of off-topic, I think there's a chance we switch line coaches after this season. 

Harrison has snap issues, and I don't think he makes presnap decisions and picks up protections like a quality center should. For no tangible reason, I think Holmes would be superior at controlling the line and making calls. And if you have someone with the range and ability of Holmes at center, it gives you more options with blocking schemes. Also, I haven't given up on Thornton at RG, and I don't think the staff has, either.

Sort of off-topic, I think there's a chance we switch line coaches after this season. 

Im not sure firing Joe Gilbert would solve anything....I do however question how much running the ball they do in practice during the week. From what I recall in TC that was not practiced anywhere near as much as passing and individual group drills.

I think one of the issues is that what our O Line does do well we don't  do enough of(Such as getting up in space) and that falls on Pep I think but that's just one of the issues. Gilbert was clear that he had different schemes he wanted to use when he was promoted and while we have used different schemes at different times the majority of the time its been pulling a guard and Man blocking....

Not nearly enough Gap Blocking/Zone Blocking/No Angle Blocking, Also there is to much double teaming on run plays in my opinion and not nearly enough of running where they aint...By that I mean running away from where the defense has the most numbers loaded up......ya run to the side where they have four defenders and you only have 3 blockers......well then ya pretty much deserve the minimal gain or loss on the play that ya get

Harrison has a lot more than snap issues....call issues, blocking issues ( way too many pressures), sacks, getting to the second level to name a few

I'll be glad when Holmes can't make the 53 next year and we get someone who can and does actually play football. That's what he is supposed to be doing it's 2 yrs of nothing but if and why

the guy is a unicorn dream your dreams

Don't get the love for a guy has done nothing all talk

Gotta say I'm surprised at the development of Thorton. Joe Gilbert was his line coach in college. I really hope this wasn't one of those situations where a guy told the GM to go and get this guy he coached in college and that's the main reason they drafted him. I hope he still pans out. He's got enormous upside. The guy is a former wrestler in college, so he's definitely a natural athlete. Maybe try him at RT.

I think he will be a very good RG could either him or thorton possibly move to RT? Cause I still think thorton can be good

Playing Tackle in the NFL is a big difference from playing G. I don't think Thornton is a T, not at all. And I haven't seen enough of Holmes to even have any idea what he's good or bad at.

Gotta say I'm surprised at the development of Thorton. Joe Gilbert was his line coach in college. I really hope this wasn't one of those situations where a guy told the GM to go and get this guy he coached in college and that's the main reason they drafted him. I hope he still pans out. He's got enormous upside. The guy is a former wrestler in college, so he's definitely a natural athlete. Maybe try him at RT.

Has anyone ever sucked at playing guard and moved to tackle and played well?  

I mean I've seen some move from tackle to guard and you find out that they are pretty solid at guard even though they are terrible at tackle.  But I've never seen the reverse happen.

Generally tackle is the toughest position on the O-line to play.  

Has anyone ever sucked at playing guard and moved to tackle and played well?  

I mean I've seen some move from tackle to guard and you find out that they are pretty solid at guard even though they are terrible at tackle.  But I've never seen the reverse happen.

Generally tackle is the toughest position on the O-line to play.  

LT yes, but RT is a bit easier I feel. A good LT is hard to find, which is why Tyron Smith has a $109 million dollar contract. Most OL prospects coming out are usually hybrid guys anyways. They play G and both tackle spots, and most people feel they can play guard or tackle at the next level. I'm not saying he can definitely be a capable RT, but theres a chance. It's worth a shot at least.

LT yes, but RT is a bit easier I feel. A good LT is hard to find, which is why Tyron Smith has a $109 million dollar contract. Most OL prospects coming out are usually hybrid guys anyways. They play G and both tackle spots, and most people feel they can play guard or tackle at the next level. I'm not saying he can definitely be a capable RT, but theres a chance. It's worth a shot at least.

If he's not capable at guard why would he be capable at RT though?

Playing Tackle in the NFL is a big difference from playing G. I don't think Thornton is a T, not at all. And I haven't seen enough of Holmes to even have any idea what he's good or bad at.

Thornton played left tackle his final year at Illinois. I believe that is part of the reason Grigson drafted him, his versatility. Now, playing tackle in college and playing tackle in the NFL are two different animals. Thornton was struggling at right guard, tough to imagine him playing tackle any better. 

If he's not capable at guard why would he be capable at RT though?

I'm not saying he can be, all I said was that he deserves a shot. Plus at RT his duties would be different. He' be mostly a pass protector going up against the #2 pass rushers on each team. IDK, maybe he's better at that than being in the interior and trying to create running lanes and keeping the pocket clean.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with whether or not he could play RT. I'm just saying why not give him a crack at it? He's versatile, athletic, and has some experience playing it. Maybe experiment with it during pre-season.