Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson last draft was a homerun

RockThatBlue

So he pulled 3 MAJOR contributors to the team out of the first 4 rounds and it is .....

What? I call it successful.

Holmes has never done anything, Thornton has not played well, and Werner is alright, but not producing pressure like you'd expect from a first rounder.

Grigson doesn't set the lineup or the depth chart.

Also, Newsome gets plenty of snaps, and has for several weeks now. The only games in the last month-plus where he's been limited in snaps were the Pats game, where they went with heavy personnel, and the Jags game last week. And in both games, Newsome didn't really play all that well in the snaps he did get. Even going back to the beginning of the season, the pass rush was obvious from Newsome, but he had trouble finishing plays.

Moncrief out-repped Nicks last week, made plays, and by far out-repped Nicks today. He's clearly ahead of him on the depth chart.

I wonder how different things might have been if Newsome and Moncrief weren't eased in. It could be that they'd have been difference makers right away, but it could also be that they weren't ready to play an expanded role yet, and the gradual increase has worked in their favor. Young players are often worked in slowly, especially at rotational positions.

This is ONE of my major complaints about Chuck ...    he is way to loyal.      Too a fault.. 

EVERYONE can see what NEEDS to change to IMPROVE this team ....  but it is like pulling teeth to make it happen.

Boom NEEDED to be playing with Brad from way long ago.

Moncrief needed to be in the Picture from the get go.

Newsome is arguably the teams most effective pass rusher  

Harrison was he best C in camp.........    only took an injury to FORCE him in...  now he is THERE.

I promise you all, Chuck will lose his job WAITING for way too long on old talent to make it happen.   When young hungry talent is right under his thumb.

Moncrief and Boom really needed to play in early OCT.        

JMO

I'm fine with the job he's done so far, even admitting we got fleeced in the Richardson deal.

I really don't see why Moncrief hasn't seen the field more than he has to this point already... It's ear Nicks is going to join the prestigious company of Donnie Avery, and Darius Heyward-Bey as one year contributors to the team.

Give Moncrief all Nicks' snaps and let's see what he can do on a consistent basis.

It's not rocket science...    :thmup:

I'm fine with the job he's done so far, even admitting we got fleeced in the Richardson deal.

I really don't see why Moncrief hasn't seen the field more than he has to this point already... It's ear Nicks is going to join the prestigious company of Donnie Avery, and Darius Heyward-Bey as one year contributors to the team.

Give Moncrief all Nicks' snaps and let's see what he can do on a consistent basis.

Out of Grigsons 22 draft picks since 2012 15 are still on the team, 11 of those have started a game, Typically in my opinion guys in the 1st round you draft to be starters almost from day 1 unless they are in a situation where there is already an established starter and that draft pick can sit and learn.

Both of our 1st round draft picks (Luck in 2012, Werner in 2013) have started and made significant contributions

2nd and 3rd round players I think you generally want them to be able to develop into EVENTUAL starters at some point but in the mean time can contribute to the team as the opportunity presents itself (Fleener, Allen, Hilton, Thornton, Mewhort, Moncrief are all 2nd-3rd round players)...They have all contributed significantly though I know Thornton has struggled

4th-7th round players are players your generally looking for depth or long term potential........Players in this category....Chapman....Vick Ballard.....Brazill......Justin Anderson.......Tim Fugger..The Fuggernator fugging since July 1 1989.......Harnish.......Holmes......M Hughes.......Boyett......Kerwynn Williams.....Justice Cunningham......J Newsome......Andrew Jackson......Ulrick John.........7 of those 15 are still on the roster.......1 of which was not going to be on the team long term anyway given we had our starter from day 1 so his days were numbered(Harnish)......2 more acted like knuckleheads (Brazill, Boyett) and were released

Out of those 22 picks Grigson might have found him potentially 11 long term starters (Luck, Fleener, Allen, Hilton, Chapman(Rotational), Werner, Thornton......Though I am having serious doubts right now.......Mewhort....Moncrief.......Newsome.....If Ballard comes back strong then I think he has a chance to start but 2 season ending injuries in a row to a rb so Im not expecting it but he has shown he is capable of being a good Back)

If your realistic and realize that not every player drafted was drafted to be the starter but to contribute at some point then you would see that overall Grigsons draft picks so far overall as a whole have been pretty solid and some picks have been a BIG success

Grigson doesn't set the lineup or the depth chart.

Also, Newsome gets plenty of snaps, and has for several weeks now. The only games in the last month-plus where he's been limited in snaps were the Pats game, where they went with heavy personnel, and the Jags game last week. And in both games, Newsome didn't really play all that well in the snaps he did get. Even going back to the beginning of the season, the pass rush was obvious from Newsome, but he had trouble finishing plays.

Moncrief out-repped Nicks last week, made plays, and by far out-repped Nicks today. He's clearly ahead of him on the depth chart.

I wonder how different things might have been if Newsome and Moncrief weren't eased in. It could be that they'd have been difference makers right away, but it could also be that they weren't ready to play an expanded role yet, and the gradual increase has worked in their favor. Young players are often worked in slowly, especially at rotational positions.

Fair enough I guess. But I would've figured Moncrief jumped Nicks on the depth chart weeks ago, but they only now did something about it now. And I would say that Newsome earned the right to split reps with Werner. Maybe not Walden since he can't set the edge yet. And I share the same ideas. If you phase them into the line ups earlier, do you win more games?

I get the experience thing, but that should be more for when it comes to CB's and QB's. Just seems at times that Pagano is hesitant to play the best players. The only exception is Harrison, but as usual it took an injury to force his hand.

Fair enough I guess. But I would've figured Moncrief jumped Nicks on the depth chart weeks ago, but they only now did something about it now. And I would say that Newsome earned the right to split reps with Werner. Maybe not Walden since he can't set the edge yet. And I share the same ideas. If you phase them into the line ups earlier, do you win more games?

I get the experience thing, but that should be more for when it comes to CB's and QB's. Just seems at times that Pagano is hesitant to play the best players. The only exception is Harrison, but as usual it took an injury to force his hand.

To answer the bolded, I can say "no" rather emphatically. Neither of those players would have made a difference in any of our losses, both of them got plenty of snaps against the Steelers, and neither of them would have stopped the run against the Pats. So, personally, I don't think either of them would have helped us win more games. Not directly.

On Newsome, I think he's getting the reps he needs, for the most part. He isn't very good setting the edge, which is something he has to learn, and I don't think he's very good in space. Werner is better as a Sam prospect, and I think Newsome will be a backup Rush backer moving into 2015. Some speculated that Newsome would have his snaps reduced by Phillips, but after this week, I doubt that happens. If anything, I think Werner and Studebaker will lose a few snaps. 

I do think sometimes the staff gives guys too long of a leash -- Satele, McGlynn, Landry, Richardson, Nicks, probably a few others. But I think there are reasons they don't like tinkering with the lineup. And especially with first year players -- particularly guys who were considered raw in certain respects coming out of college, like Moncrief and Newsome -- you don't often see those guys just thrust into the lineup by any team. They are usually brought on slowly, especially when the team is winning games. That's something that Grigson and Pagano talked about during the offseason, about why they didn't bench some of the poorly performing linemen, and the answer was basically that the team was still winning, and they didn't want to upset whatever balance there actually was. I think that's a mistakes in some cases, but I get why they've kept Moncrief and Newsome reigned in a little bit. 

As the season continues, both guys have had their roles expanded, which is a good thing. Yet we keep complaining that it didn't happen soon enough. At least it's happening now, pretty definitively. 

I'm not sure what you mean about Harrison. There was no injury that led to Harrison starting. As a matter of fact, people are complaining to this very day about the fact that Shipley was benched "for no reason." Kind of ironic, IMO.

The thing I've really liked about Grigson is that he seems to "get a feeling" on the right players.  Moving up to get TY was simply brilliant.  I know some teams had him graded as a 4th rounder, but Grigs saw something the others didn't and pulled the trigger to make sure we got him.  Newsome's play is exciting and both our TE's have been great when on the field.  Too bad you can't predict injuries when drafting...   His UDFA's have also been solid and you just can't overestimate the impact this has on a team.  Who had us drafting Moncrief in the 3rd round this year?  He saw the value of this player and grabbed a good one.  Could he become as good as a Keenan Allen?  Who knows, but the kid's got something there.  Now this next draft I would really...really like to get a good safety, a quality corner, a solid run stopping ILB's and another good pass rushing/coverage OLB.  I'm all for the 100% defensive draft Mr. Grigs (minus maybe a 2nd or 3rd round OT).  

I just hope he learns to play his best players, regardless of experience. There is no reason why after today, Moncrief isn't ahead of Nicks on the depth chart. And Newsome should be getting a lot more snaps. Yes this was a home run draft, but we need to put it on display by letting 2 of the key guys from that draft play more.

Odds are they will.    They're now playing meaningful snaps.   And they're doing well.    Typically,  that leads to more playing time.

We've still got 4 more regular season games to go....   you're likely going to get your wish....

This is ONE of my major complaints about Chuck ...    he is way to loyal.      Too a fault.. 

EVERYONE can see what NEEDS to change to IMPROVE this team ....  but it is like pulling teeth to make it happen.

Boom NEEDED to be playing with Brad from way long ago.

Moncrief needed to be in the Picture from the get go.

Newsome is arguably the teams most effective pass rusher  

Harrison was he best C in camp.........    only took an injury to FORCE him in...  now he is THERE.

I promise you all, Chuck will lose his job WAITING for way too long on old talent to make it happen.   When young hungry talent is right under his thumb.

Moncrief and Boom really needed to play in early OCT.        

JMO

So much revisionist history. Only thing I agree with is that Boom should have been in the rotation long ago. Richardson can't produce, Boom (and pretty much everyone else who gets a fair shot) can.

Moncrief was raw, and still has refinements to make. Nicks was expected to produce more than he has, and he made some plays early in the season. He's been eased in, perhaps a little slower than ideal, but it's happening. 

I'm a huge Newsome fan, but he's terrible in space, which has been shown many times this season, including against Washington. He also has a lot of work to do setting the edge and defending the run. He's been eased in, but he's been getting substantial snaps pretty consistently since Week 3, primarily because he's an explosive pass rusher. You're acting like he's been glued to the bench, and he hasn't.

And this Harrison thing, he wasn't the best center in camp. I don't know where that's coming from. He was working behind Holmes, and when he got preseason starts, he impressed the staff. Everyone here was freaking out because "OMG, we have to start a rookie FA center! Grigson is terrible and doesn't care about the offensive line!!!" Then Shipley got a month, and when/since Shipley was benched for Harrison, people have done nothing but complain because "OMG, they benched Shipley for no reason!!!" People are still complaining, even after 49 points today. I don't know what this thing about Harrison only starting because of an injury or him being the best center in camp is about. It sounds made up (I don't know how anyone could have missed or forgotten the Shipley saga), and what's more, it's completely contrary to the point you're trying to make.

Here, the staff is methodically moving young talent further into the picture, perhaps more slowly than people would like, but it's still happening. No one is twisting the staff's arm to get young guys on the field. They are rewarding guys for playing well, and as they get more opportunities they play better. The Colts aren't the only team that does this, by the way. It's pretty typical to let young players come on gradually.

post-12566-0-36925500-1417434643_thumb.j

2014 is looking good but you have to give it a few years to fully judge it.  

Grigson seems to be really hit and miss right now.  He either completely knocks it out of the park, 2012 draft, Vontae Davis trade.  Or he strikes out completely.  2013 Draft, Trent Richardson trade.

Just goes to show you that the best way for you to build a sustainable long term winning team is through the draft when you get those players on their rookie contracts to contribute.

Well, nobody is going to disagree with that. But drafting players that work out is not a given, and when you're rebuilding a team from scratch you have to add FA too or things are gong to take for ever. :hat: 

It looks like the Richardson trade wasn't so good.  But lets be honest.  Richardson was probably the most hyped  RB since Adrian Peterson coming out of college.  I would imagine someone else would have paid a low #1 to get him.  Richardson doesn't explode to the hole and our holes are open for 2 nanoseconds.  So doesn't fit well.

Check my post log...

T Rich SUCKS.. .   Indy can do better...

Harrison was being pimped out of camp as "the best C on the team by Rick V and Brunno"     Holmes starts

Moncrief.....    I only had to WATCH ONE GAME of H Nicks to see why the Giants let him walk ...  he has NO SPEED.

Reggie           ^^^^^^   But we all love him.   Soo....... 

and Newsome... ...    production is production...      I mean really what do these coaches want?   I honestly think Pags and Grigs are playing inferior players over "unknowns" just to save face?      but slowly and inevitably...  talent rises to the top.

Not revisionist...   just repetitive..      I mean these things have been so obvious since week 6 it is comical.

Better late than never tho..... 

Moncrief and Herron will REALLY HELP THIS O.L.   Can't just crowd the line now.   

So much revisionist history. Only thing I agree with is that Boom should have been in the rotation long ago. Richardson can't produce, Boom (and pretty much everyone else who gets a fair shot) can.

Moncrief was raw, and still has refinements to make. Nicks was expected to produce more than he has, and he made some plays early in the season. He's been eased in, perhaps a little slower than ideal, but it's happening. 

I'm a huge Newsome fan, but he's terrible in space, which has been shown many times this season, including against Washington. He also has a lot of work to do setting the edge and defending the run. He's been eased in, but he's been getting substantial snaps pretty consistently since Week 3, primarily because he's an explosive pass rusher. You're acting like he's been glued to the bench, and he hasn't.

And this Harrison thing, he wasn't the best center in camp. I don't know where that's coming from. He was working behind Holmes, and when he got preseason starts, he impressed the staff. Everyone here was freaking out because "OMG, we have to start a rookie FA center! Grigson is terrible and doesn't care about the offensive line!!!" Then Shipley got a month, and when/since Shipley was benched for Harrison, people have done nothing but complain because "OMG, they benched Shipley for no reason!!!" People are still complaining, even after 49 points today. I don't know what this thing about Harrison only starting because of an injury or him being the best center in camp is about. It sounds made up (I don't know how anyone could have missed or forgotten the Shipley saga), and what's more, it's completely contrary to the point you're trying to make.

Here, the staff is methodically moving young talent further into the picture, perhaps more slowly than people would like, but it's still happening. No one is twisting the staff's arm to get young guys on the field. They are rewarding guys for playing well, and as they get more opportunities they play better. The Colts aren't the only team that does this, by the way. It's pretty typical to let young players come on gradually.

Check my post log...

T Rich SUCKS.. .   Indy can do better...

Harrison was being pimped out of camp as "the best C on the team by Rick V and Brunno"     Holmes starts

Moncrief.....    I only had to WATCH ONE GAME of H Nicks to see why the Giants let him walk ...  he has NO SPEED.

Reggie           ^^^^^^   But we all love him.   Soo....... 

and Newsome... ...    production is production...      I mean really what do these coaches want?   I honestly think Pags and Grigs are playing inferior players over "unknowns" just to save face?      but slowly and inevitably...  talent rises to the top.

Not revisionist...   just repetitive..      I mean these things have been so obvious since week 6 it is comical.

Better late than never tho..... 

Moncrief and Herron will REALLY HELP THIS O.L.   Can't just crowd the line now.   

Holmes got one start in preseason. Played 7 snaps. How anyone can claim anything about who was better is beyond me. And again, Harrison stole the job from Shipley out of nowhere. That example is entirely contrary to your point.

And to the bolded, how does that make any sense? Having players perform and help the team win games is what makes the staff look good. No one cares if Nicks is on the bench, if Moncrief is performing well. It's entirely counter-intuitive.

Again, on Newsome, he's been getting significant reps since early on this season. I don't know what else anyone could want, seriously. Unless people just want to complain.

:thmup:

Holmes got one start in preseason. Played 7 snaps. How anyone can claim anything about who was better is beyond me. And again, Harrison stole the job from Shipley out of nowhere. That example is entirely contrary to your point.

And to the bolded, how does that make any sense? Having players perform and help the team win games is what makes the staff look good. No one cares if Nicks is on the bench, if Moncrief is performing well. It's entirely counter-intuitive.

Again, on Newsome, he's been getting significant reps since early on this season. I don't know what else anyone could want, seriously. Unless people just want to complain.

Then there's the Vontae Davis trade...

I'll give him at  that one. But it was for a 2nd rd not a 1st rd and Davis has showed what he can do. That is why they signed him to the contract that he got this past off season. thank goodness that TRich is on his rookie contract and not a veteran contract. that would kill us salary cap wise. Lets just face it . He is not what everyone thought he would be coming out of college and that is too bad for him

I'll give him at  that one. But it was for a 2nd rd not a 1st rd and Davis has showed what he can do. That is why they signed him to the contract that he got this past off season. thank goodness that TRich is on his rookie contract and not a veteran contract. that would kill us salary cap wise. Lets just face it . He is not what everyone thought he would be coming out of college and that is too bad for him

It was a 2nd rounder that people whined and whined and whined about, until it was obvious that we weren't going to be picking in the top 10. 

Also, on Richardson, if he weren't on his rookie contract, I highly doubt that the trade would have happened to begin with.

It was a 2nd rounder that people whined and whined and whined about, until it was obvious that we weren't going to be picking in the top 10. 

Also, on Richardson, if he weren't on his rookie contract, I highly doubt that the trade would have happened to begin with.

My son was down on him as so as last season was over with. But I told him that I was going to give him the off season and camps to try and prove himself to me that he could be the back that everyone thought that he would be coming out of college but that has happened. Grigson tried but it not working out like he thought. So lets face it its time to cut the line and let him go.