Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts bring up Tipton, Waive Whalen

Bravo

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, this sucks. Now we lose Whalen. This year, we started with Brazill, Rogers, and Whalen, now we have none. Oh yeah, and Nicks sucks and we probably will lose Wayne after this year. Way to go Management, who's next? couldn't get rid of someone else that's not needed to fill a huge, gaping hole next year?

You act like those players were starters. It was no big loss in the big picture.

Yeah I don't know if I am a fan of this move... not just because I am the president of the "Griff Whalen for League MVP" Fan Club... but I am also a member.  

LOL.  I just feel that the Griffer had more value than just a sure handed PR/ KR.  Any time he was on the field as a WR he always seemed to be in the right place for Luck to hit him and would catch everything thrown his way.  I am not saying he is a game changer but he was solid and reliable.  

Sad to see him waived.  I hope he comes back after Allen comes back,.

Until then i will wear a black arm band with #17 on it in honor of the Griffer.  

This is a very interesting phenomenon. I remember coming to this forum when Dwight Freeney was cut. And there was hardly a comment at all about it. Whether we all knew it was going to happen or not, the fact that the guy was, at the time, the best colts DE in terms of sacks. I'd never seen so little regard or respect for someone that provided such significant impact to this team. Yet when this guy gets cut, three pages of objections, lamentations and love pour out to him, which is so wonderful. But, really, what did he actually do at ANY time FOR the Colts organization to warrant such adulation? And why was Dwight's departure given so little attention by the fans here? I'd really love to see some logical explanations for that one.  

This is a very interesting phenomenon. I remember coming to this forum when Dwight Freeney was cut. And there was hardly a comment at all about it. Whether we all knew it was going to happen or not, the fact that the guy was, at the time, the best colts DE in terms of sacks. I'd never seen so little regard or respect for someone that provided such significant impact to this team. Yet when this guy gets cut, three pages of objections, lamentations and love pour out to him, which is so wonderful. But, really, what did he actually do at ANY time FOR the Colts organization to warrant such adulation? And why was Dwight's departure given so little attention by the fans here? I'd really love to see some logical explanations for that one.  

My explanation isn't that he's a great player or anything, it's that we've had to release a couple receivers already and it's possible we don't have Reggie or Hakeem at receiver next year (Reggie could retire and Hakeem is just bad). Also we don't know 100% what we have in Moncrief because for some reason he isn't getting the start over Nicks. Even with Whalen we have 3 recievers next year (TY, Moncrief, and Whalen guaranteed), take away Whalen and that leaves 2. Moncrief is questionable and Wayne may retire, we are in a hole at WR and it would of been nice to have Whalen for depth and as a guy who knows the system and has chemistry with Luck. Probably could of released someone else. Just hope it doesn't hurt us next year if we have an injury or two at WR.

Funny how if he's not good, he was our kickoff and punt returner.

They've been bringing in guys for KR tryouts for weeks. Girff wasn't a good returner, there isn't an argument to the contrary. Him being the starter was more a reflection of a lack of options rather than his talent level. He was good in other aspects, but kick/punt returningn wasn't one of those.

Freeney wasn't cut, his contract came to an end and he wasn't re-signed. I think most of the forum was resigned to the fact that he wouldn't be back beforehand.

That being said, I agree that Griff Whalen being cut should not draw such outrage. He was very bad at his one job, return man. And we signed a much better return man. Whalen isn't going anywhere. He will likely be on the team during TC next year at the latest.

One correction...Freeney was never cut. He became an UFA and the Colts chose not to re-sign him.  

I think a lot of fans at the time hated the fact that he actually played out the final year of his contract for ~$14 mil when there were cheaper options that would have given the Colts more cap space to spend on upgrading other areas of the team.  That was compounded by the fact that the ~$14 mil was spent on a guy who all of a sudden became an experiment.  Could he convert from a 4-3 DE Speed rusher to a 3-4 Rush OLB?  Personally, I have a feeling Irsay had a hand in Freeney playing out that final year. He'd already gone through the backlash from cutting Peyton...I don't think he wanted to deal with cutting Freeny in the same offseason.  That is absolute pure speculation on my part though.

anyway, bottom line is that I think most fans got over the loss of Freeney before he was actually gone.  Many wanted him gone a year before.  

As for the love affair some have with Whalen....that I cannot explain.  He's not horrible but he's no world beater either. 

pretty sure we know the answer to that

One correction...Freeney was never cut. He became an UFA and the Colts chose not to re-sign him.  

I think a lot of fans at the time hated the fact that he actually played out the final year of his contract for ~$14 mil when there were cheaper options that would have given the Colts more cap space to spend on upgrading other areas of the team.  That was compounded by the fact that the ~$14 mil was spent on a guy who all of a sudden became an experiment.  Could he convert from a 4-3 DE Speed rusher to a 3-4 Rush OLB?  Personally, I have a feeling Irsay had a hand in Freeney playing out that final year. He'd already gone through the backlash from cutting Peyton...I don't think he wanted to deal with cutting Freeny in the same offseason.  That is absolute pure speculation on my part though.

anyway, bottom line is that I think most fans got over the loss of Freeney before he was actually gone.  Many wanted him gone a year before.  

As for the love affair some have with Whalen....that I cannot explain.  He's not horrible but he's no world beater either. 

Okay, so the depth chart isn't the traditional one. But when has Whalen ever been the feature guy? His best game was last year against the Chiefs the first time

He's replaceable and it's not hard to do it.

Just don't get the big fuss over Whalen being cut as if this was the first time it happened

I agree, cutting Whalen is not a big deal.  I was thinking that Wayne and Nicks are sort of the same player, with Wayne being better  I thought Whalen might bring a different skill set that would be more useful against certain teams than having Nicks on the field every game.

Whether its Whalen or someone else, a possession receiver that can actually separate and catch a timing route would be nice to have.

I agree, cutting Whalen is not a big deal. I was thinking that Wayne and Nicks are sort of the same player, with Wayne being better I thought Whalen might bring a different skill set that would be more useful against certain teams than having Nicks on the field every game.

Whether its Whalen or someone else, a possession receiver that can actually separate and catch a timing route would be nice to have.

Reggie is the possession guy. If he goes down, unfortunately Nick's becomes that guy

Nicks won't be back next year though. The WR position will be taken care of. We're in talks right now with a WR from the CFL. Grigs is doing his job, the coaches aren't. Moncrief needs more reps.

Whalen was the odd man out, he's the least talented out of the WR's we have. Nicks is the safety veteran in case Reggie hurt himself again this season, that's all that's saving him cause he's been pathetic.

Freeney wasn't cut.  Everybody knew he wouldn't be back and he was honored by not cutting him when he probably wasn't worth the $18M he received that last year - kind of a farewell tour for him that last season.  It was already accepted that he wouldn't be resigned and there was no surprising moment when he went to SD for fans to show up in a shocked huff.  You must not have been around to see the respect rightfully paid to Freeney in the time leading up to it and mistook the lack of reaction once he was gone as disrespect.

Regarding Whalen.  You're way overstating the tone of the thread here.  No real outrage and no gushing love, just some discussion while we await the game tomorrow.  So your comparison is apples and oranges.

That's my attempt at a logical explanation.  I hope you loved it.

So Griff is going to be able to get claimed until tomorrow correct? Not saying there is a high chance but there are some teams out there that need a reliable decent route running reciever.

The Seahawks and Rams come to mind.

He's going to go to the Pats and become a superstar

Reggie is the possession guy. If he goes down, unfortunately Nick's becomes that guy

Nicks won't be back next year though. The WR position will be taken care of. We're in talks right now with a WR from the CFL. Grigs is doing his job, the coaches aren't. Moncrief needs more reps.

Whalen was the odd man out, he's the least talented out of the WR's we have. Nicks is the safety veteran in case Reggie hurt himself again this season, that's all that's saving him cause he's been pathetic.

Exactly my point.  Nicks is insurance for Reggie.  They should rotate to keep Reggie fresh or Nicks should fill in if Reggie gets hurt.  They should not be on the field at the same time.

It should have been Moncrief and Whalen splitting snaps depending upon what DBs the Colts were playing...and I would assume Moncrief would get the majority of the snaps.

I hope not. We need players that stick, not someone we can just dump when we need space, then if the space we filled doesn't work out, we bring him back. How is this monster supposed to be built if we're doing things like that?

No matter how the monster is built there will always be a #5 WR on it.  Whalen was reasonable in that role.  Nobody's saying he was a star or irreplaceable.  But he was reliable, competent, and even pretty good after the catch  if/when needed.  I wouldn't be surprised if he's with the Colts again sometime this year or next (or on another NFL roster).