Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Adrian Peterson as a Colt - Thoughts?

ThorstenDenmark

Seriously?

You want to write the names LaGarrette Blount and Adrian Peterson in the same sentence?

Like they're almost the same?

The only thing they have in common is that they both play running back.    Otherwise..........

Precisely.

Blount is worth the 3.75 mil over two years to help us NOW. And we didn't pull the trigger.

AP will cost MUCH more than him as he is much more the back and I don't see Grig paying him ...

Precisely.

Blount is worth the 3.75 mil over two years to help us NOW. And we didn't pull the trigger.

AP will cost MUCH more than him as he is much more the back and I don't see Grig paying him ...

I think we're missing each other.

You're making an argument that says if we didn't pay Blount we're not going to pay Peterson.

And we may not pay Peterson.    But it will have nothing to do with comparing him to Blount.

Blount is a decent running back.

Peterson is a Hall of Famer.

They can't be compared in any way.    And you compared them by using them in the same sentence.

I think we're missing each other.

You're making an argument that says if we didn't pay Blount we're not going to pay Peterson.

And we may not pay Peterson.    But it will have nothing to do with comparing him to Blount.

Blount is a decent running back.

Peterson is a Hall of Famer.

They can't be compared in any way.    And you compared them by using them in the same sentence.

You misread. There was no comparison of the backs. Because there is no comparison.

Colts need help right now. They passed on Blount who would have not cost much to attain this year. Given that, I don't foresee them breaking the bank on AP especially if their reasoning for not feeling Blount was worth it was because of his off-field issues. 

Maybe if we send a kid out in front of him and AP chases it.....i bet he'd be good. 

Too soon? 

Impressive, but you're not thinking outside the box. I say we tie a kid around a piece of string and dangle him off AP's head. AP chases; never catches = profit.

You misread. There was no comparison of the backs. Because there is no comparison.

Colts need help right now. They passed on Blount who would have not cost much to attain this year. Given that, I don't foresee them breaking the bank on AP especially if their reasoning for not feeling Blount was worth it was because of his off-field issues. 

By the time the season starts next year, Peterson will be 30 (and we all know that's the number RBs hate to see).  Not only that, but he's been used quite a lot, amassing over 2000 attempts.  That's a lot of wear and tear and the RB position is one where you can be fine with a late round pick.  He would also probably be expensive.  Because of all that, I would not be a supporter of signing Peterson

Adrian Peterson is no Ray Rice, but yes he has some garbage.

But still, what he could bring to our team and what kind of player he is, and most important, he played with a chip on his shoulder as he wants to prove himself for a new team and the whole world as a better man. 

Yes there are issues regarding him, but I can't find anyother RB like him in the league that would be a better fit for the colts.

Marshawn Lynch is good, but I don't think he would be a good fit in Indy.

DeMarco Murry, well we can't get near him, but if to choose between those three, I would still Pick AP.

The only one on this list that has won an NFL MVP award is AP. Since it was only the year before last, he should still be more valuable than anyone else available.

Somewhat flawed IMO, though a very deserving MVP winner that year,

He's going to be 30 coming off a season of not playing football, now you can say he bounced back from his knee injury but it really does seem like the drop off hits at that age. That's before we weigh in contract value relative to the others let alone the heat that comes with the pick up. Success of course makes for short memories when it comes to indiscretions.

Put it this way, I wouldn't want to take him on his current contract.

Depending on the price........  Absolutely!

AP sees 8 man fronts EVERY time he is on the field..........

He STILL gets yards

With just some improvement in the OL, we could take an offense to a rare level

With Harrison and Mewhort getting the expected sophmore "growth" and an upgrade at the other G spot, we will be ok. 

Can you imagine how tough it would be to game plan against the Colts with him in there????

Now, on the topic of Peterson because of his activity with his kid.

I personally dont believe that he was anywhere near the level of Ray Rice.  

Ray Rice should be DONE

AND......

I was switched and spanked as a kid....... I respected my parents

AP was excessive in his ONE particular action. He is being punished being held out

this year. I agree with the punishment, but does he deserve to be kicked out forever??

I dont think so.

I truly doubt that the Colts will do this, but there have been a few cases where an

older RB came in and brought a young team to the next level

Otis Anderson, John Riggins, to name a few (for the young folks, look them up   :) )

My vote is yes, He may be one of the last pieces that could get us in the SB next year

(It aint happening this year.... sorry)

Depending on the price........  Absolutely!

AP sees 8 man fronts EVERY time he is on the field..........

He STILL gets yards

With just some improvement in the OL, we could take an offense to a rare level

With Harrison and Mewhort getting the expected sophmore "growth" and an upgrade at the other G spot, we will be ok. 

Can you imagine how tough it would be to game plan against the Colts with him in there????

Now, on the topic of Peterson because of his activity with his kid.

I personally dont believe that he was anywhere near the level of Ray Rice.  

Ray Rice should be DONE

AND......

I was switched and spanked as a kid....... I respected my parents

AP was excessive in his ONE particular action. He is being punished being held out

this year. I agree with the punishment, but does he deserve to be kicked out forever??

I dont think so.

I truly doubt that the Colts will do this, but there have been a few cases where an

older RB came in and brought a young team to the next level

Otis Anderson, John Riggins, to name a few (for the young folks, look them up   :) )

My vote is yes, He may be one of the last pieces that could get us in the SB next year

(It aint happening this year.... sorry)

If I am AP, I would be looking at a team that would get me to the Super bowl

and he is THE missing piece

I dont know if he is THE piece, but he would make our offense VERY tough to scheme

HOWEVER..... we are kidding ourselves if we dont

1) Improve the OL play

2) Get a difference maker Safety

3) Get a true stopper / cover on ILB

4) Get some pass rush

We are not one player away.....  I dont care who it is.......

We are 4 players a way.........   

AP COULD be one of them

Somewhat flawed IMO, though a very deserving MVP winner that year,

He's going to be 30 coming off a season of not playing football, now you can say he bounced back from his knee injury but it really does seem like the drop off hits at that age. That's before we weigh in contract value relative to the others let alone the heat that comes with the pick up. Success of course makes for short memories when it comes to indiscretions.

Put it this way, I wouldn't want to take him on his current contract.

Well, that may be true, but I'm sure he knows that hes not worth his current contract and will understand that in the negotiations with any team that does take a serious look at him. But, as far as a year off from football, he came back from a career threatening knee injury before his MVP season. It stands to reason that he can deal with the lack of PT and be a great player again. Darren Sproles, a player our defense STILL cant tackle, is older than AP and no one questions his ability. But, sound argument if you look in terms of the possible downside.  But, the upside is better, IMO. Thanks!

If we could get AP for a reasonable price, I'd be all for it! The more potent dimensions that can be added to the offense, the better. AP is truly one of the great RBs and has not really yet shown any decline. Plus, he'll be well rested with a year off. AP with fresh legs ... Yikes!

I doubt VERY much we could get him, though.