Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I still don't understand Why Moncrief isn't getting more snaps

RockThatBlue

I know theres been several people talking about this the last few weeks, but its frustrating. I feel like hes done enough to get more snaps. I thought I heard he only had like 2 or 3 snaps against the pats. If true thats plain ridiculous.

I just responded to your statement in the other thread. 

Yes, if someone can tell us why he's not at least splitting snaps with Nicks, I'd be very interested in hearing it.

Because we are giving Nicks every opportunity to be successful in this offense while probably trying to give Moncrief as much time as possible to learn the ins and outs of whats expected of him on the field....Do I agree with it? No, Personally I think Pep should scale back the the playbook some for everyone (I realize the playbook is not Nicks biggest issue) and focus more on basics and practice running the ball more which it would seem they don't do a lot of

Because we are giving Nicks every opportunity to be successful in this offense while probably trying to give Moncrief as much time as possible to learn the ins and outs of whats expected of him on the field....Do I agree with it? No, Personally I think Pep should scale back the the playbook some for everyone (I realize the playbook is not Nicks biggest issue) and focus more on basics and practice running the ball more which it would seem they don't do a lot of

Yeah, that is most likely the answer.  We have a couple games coming up where Pep has the opportunity to do just that. 

It's really frustrating for sure! IF you get that guy going this is an almost impossible offense to shutdown for most teams including the Pats.  I just think it's impossible to put double coverage on Moncrief and T.Y. at the same time while keeping check of Allen, Fleener and Wayne. If we could ever do something about this running game then it would be 100 percent impossible.

It's really frustrating for sure! IF you get that guy going this is an almost impossible offense to shutdown for most teams including the Pats.  I just think it's impossible to put double coverage on Moncrief and T.Y. at the same time while keeping check of Allen, Fleener and Wayne. If we could ever do something about this running game then it would be 100 percent impossible.

due too nicks big salary and grigs and pag don,t want look dum for second year straight.

I disagree we paid a lot of money for him, it's a modest contract which had no long term sting.

I do agree however I would like to see more Moncrief.

You would think after the Pittsburgh game his snaps would have gone up. It almost seems like his snaps have went down. Very strange.

What makes you think there's a problem with the size and scale of the playbook?

After that TD catch Pagano isn't benching Nicks, do you remember that DHB was over TY on the depth and because the Reggie injury TY showed he was the main thread, with Nick producing something i mean 2 or 3 passes catches every game Pagano isn't touching it, we need a completely drop from Nick to see Moncrief more time on the field  i just check and DHB was benched by the 15 week, because he just had 1 TD and 309 yrds now Nicks has 3 TD and 227 yrds on fewer games so i don't see Nicks been benched nearly although Moncrief has 1 TD and 218 yrds on way fewer snap, but i think the coach staff doesn't agree or think Moncrief would be a liability when Andrew changes plays, so if this is a playbook issue he should start on the next few weeks.

Did everyone not see that Nicks made a terrific catch for a touchdown Sunday night?    Best catch of the game from any Colts receiver.

I think the primary reason Moncrief isn't getting more snaps is I suspect we're using more two tight end sets to help with pass blocking.    That means only 2 WR's.     And if they're going to be two,  they're going to be Wayne & TYH.

I suspect we'll see more of Moncrief as the final 6 weeks of the season unfold.....

I know theres been several people talking about this the last few weeks, but its frustrating. I feel like hes done enough to get more snaps. I thought I heard he only had like 2 or 3 snaps against the pats. If true thats plain ridiculous.

He doesn't get more snaps because he is a rookie and the Colts have many other options.  There simply isn't enough snaps in the game for him to see, unless the Colts are up by 30+ in the 4th.

So what nicks makes an occasional td catch every blue moon. He has yet to have a 100 yard game and fails to get consistent separation. Moncrief is faster gets more separation and can make amazing catches

If Moncrief was in he wouldn't do any better than Nicks!  You want to bring up the 1 game against Pittsburg?  Reggie Wayne was out of the lineup.  If you were to see the passes to Nicks in that game Donte wouldn't have been able to catch over/under throw either!!

Did everyone not see that Nicks made a terrific catch for a touchdown Sunday night?    Best catch of the game from any Colts receiver.

I think the primary reason Moncrief isn't getting more snaps is I suspect we're using more two tight end sets to help with pass blocking.    That means only 2 WR's.     And if they're going to be two,  they're going to be Wayne & TYH.

I suspect we'll see more of Moncrief as the final 6 weeks of the season unfold.....

Yes, but that play needed a great throw and a great catch for it to happen. That's the problem with Nicks....he just doesn't get separation. If the Colts go three wide they basically have two receivers, Reggie and Nicks, the corners can sit on.

If Moncrief was in he wouldn't do any better than Nicks!  You want to bring up the 1 game against Pittsburgh?  Reggie Wayne was out of the lineup.  If you were to see the passes to Nicks in that game Donte wouldn't have been able to catch over/under throw either!!

nicks legs are shot why he get separation alot. not about his skills are exp just slow.  

He completely bodied Brandon Browner on a perfect release off the line and Luck overthrew a sure TD. I don't think he played another snap after that. 

Guess that Pagano would like to watch Hakeem Nicks struggle to run 50 plays a game instead. 

Nicks burned Browner also. And only played 39 snaps. Moncrief played 10. 

Finally showing some life. All it takes is playing the slowest corner in the NFL. 

The same corner that Moncrief beat. Let's praise that play, but then talk about the weak competition when it's Nicks...

"Moncrief beat Browner, he should play more!" "Nicks beat Browner, but Browner is a bum."

?

The same corner that Moncrief beat. Let's praise that play, but then talk about the weak competition when it's Nicks...

"" "Nicks beat Browner, but Browner is a bum."

?

>Moncrief beat Browner, he should play more!

If that's what you took away from my post, then you missed the point. 

>Moncrief beat Browner, he should play more!

If that's what you took away from my post, then you missed the point. 

Really?

He completely bodied Brandon Browner on a perfect release off the line and Luck overthrew a sure TD. I don't think he played another snap after that. 

Guess that Pagano would like to watch Hakeem Nicks struggle to run 50 plays a game instead. 

Really?

Ughhhhhhh.....

My point wasn't that "OMG he beat the beast that is knowns as Brandon "GOAT" Bornwner!11!"

My point is that on one of the 5 passing plays he was in on, he had a walk in TD and didn't play again after that. Then again I don't expect much more from a team that gives Trent Richardson carries.

nicks legs are shot why he get separation alot. not about his skills are exp just slow.  

Never really thought about that.  I don't think he is slow, but maybe his acceleration speed isn't very fast.  Ive seen him run down the sidelines and he looked alright, but I guess I should start to keep an eye on the takeoff (which it's hard because the camera usually doesn't show that very well).  His jumping abilities looked okay as well, but that is just my opinion.

What makes you think there's a problem with the size and scale of the playbook?

Not one thing in particular but Richardson did make the comment last year that the size of the playbook was no joke and much bigger then what he had to learn with the Browns.

There is the lack of fundamentals by the O Line...That's not to say the lack of fundamentals is an indicator of the size of the playbook but its certainly not a stretch there could much more a focus on the playbook and learning the ins and outs and preparing for our next opponent rather then perfecting some run plays(I other words its not the sixe of the playbook but the execution of the plays involved).

I also don't think our run plays do quite enough to compliment each other. We run multiple different run plays but I think we could do a better job of getting ILB's and D Linemen flowing one way with a few runs in a row flowing to one direction using different blocking schemes then hit them up the middle with a cut back run that looks like an outside zone run.