Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sergio Brown on Gronk: 'I put straps on that boy'

James Harden

Thats what he is, I said it before the game that he's a rotational guy that adds depth to your secondary and plays well on special teams.

He's not starting caliber, no starting safety in the nfl would have let themselves get blown off the line of scrimmage by 40 yards.

That's a pretty stupid quote . A 265LB TE shoved a safety way out of bounds. It has nothing to do with his skills as a safety. Don't be an *.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The entire Pats team put a physical beatdown on the Colts. The Gronk touchdown was the equivalence of a high school bully running through a group of preschoolers on a playground...And then the entire team has the audacity to rub it in our faces with the taunting and celebration that followed. I want this Pats team again, I don't care where the game is played. Take them and kick them to the curb. This has been personal for these teams for a very long time, and it just got taken up a notch. Time for the pompous scum that root for this team to be embarrased the way we have suffered...

Taunting?

Celebrating?

What on earth are you talking about?

What do you mean Gronk backed it up?  By committing a foul?  This is the problem I've been identifying throughout many threads....the idea that Gronk did something special Sunday night...something worthy...something justified. 

A game is nothing except a set of rules.  It doesn't exist without them. Gronk stopped playing the game in order to solve a personal conflict.

If backing it up is about who can break the rules better...I'm sure Sergio could take out his knee at any time...even when Gronk is just standing on the sidelines.

Hell yeah he backed it up, he totally dominated the line of scrimmage all night long, screw the penalty play, he bulldozed every player that line up against him, hell yeah he did something special, worthy and justified, all the above and more, did you even watch the game? There has been no offensive lineman or TE that dominated the line of scrimmage the way he did, he was a huge part of that 234 yards rushing. I don't know what the hell you were watching, if that wasn't backing it up, I don't know what is.

The entire Pats team put a physical beatdown on the Colts. The Gronk touchdown was the equivalence of a high school bully running through a group of preschoolers on a playground...And then the entire team has the audacity to rub it in our faces with the taunting and celebration that followed. I want this Pats team again, I don't care where the game is played. Take them and kick them to the curb. This has been personal for these teams for a very long time, and it just got taken up a notch. Time for the pompous scum that root for this team to be embarrased the way we have suffered...

Breathe.  ;)

One game. One loss. Six more to go to fix things.

Hell yeah he backed it up, he totally dominated the line of scrimmage all night long, screw the penalty play, (1)he bulldozed every player that line up against him, hell yeah he did something special, worthy (2)and justified, all the above and more, (3)did you even watch the game? There (4) has been no offensive lineman or TE that dominated the line of scrimmage the way he did, (5) he was a huge part of that 234 yards rushing. I don't know what the hell you were watching, if that wasn't backing it up,(6) I don't know what is.

(1) I believe only if the player was less than 200 lbs.

(2) If intentionally breaking the rules is justified, then Sergio should take out Gronk's knee whilst he stands on the sidelines.

(3) Yes.  But I'll admit, I thought I was watching Jack Doyle wearing number 87 in a Pats uniform until he bulldozed the 190 lb S near the end of the game.

(4) Gronk...the TE...dominated the LOS more than any of the 6 OL the Pats were playing? 

(5) Or perhaps it was the third OT the Pats used. 

(6) Agreed.

The Legend-of-Gronk will live eternally.

In fairness...

From 1959 to 2001, the Patriots (and their fans) had little to cheer about. I went to my first game in or around 1979, as a kid. There were a lot of bad years and horrible, horrible teams. For those of us who can actually remember back to when the Patriots were irrelevant, these have been good years, and I for one am not going to apologize for enjoying them, lol!  ;)

In fairness...

From 1959 to 2001, the Patriots (and their fans) had little to cheer about. I went to my first game in or around 1979, as a kid. There were a lot of bad years and horrible, horrible teams. For those of us who can actually remember back to when the Patriots were irrelevant, these have been good years, and I for one am not going to apologize for enjoying them, lol!  ;)

What really frustrates me year in and year out is watching Colts teams that should be legitimate contenders get dropped and physically manhandled by the exact same teams (Pats/Steelers). The personnel change, the results are the same. As a Colt fan, I love the direction that Grigs and Pagano want to go in with the physicality, stopping the run and so on... And to see the results we experienced this past Sunday just hurts...I mean it makes you want to forget football for a couple weeks...

:lol: that celebration had me rolling 

Give the man a break.  I believe it was his first TD in his career.  It was a little goofy but it doesn't matter if the team is down 50 points if you score your first NFL TD then it's time to celebrate.  He's a veteran and put in work for this franchise, I believe he has the right to be a stooge for a moment lol

Give the man a break. I believe it was his first TD in his career. It was a little goofy but it doesn't matter if the team is down 50 points if you score your first NFL TD then it's time to celebrate. He's a veteran and put in work for this franchise, I believe he has the right to be a stooge for a moment lol

celebrating when you are trailing in the fourth quarter isn't a good look. I realize it was his first td, but he is a lineman, generally that isn't his primary job. I don't have a huge issue with it, but that was maybe the worst celebration ever

In fairness...

Yes...growing up the Patriots always seemed so nondescript I thought they were an expansion team. Had no clue they were a former AFL team. Times change lol

A lot of his antics? Reference just ONE "antic" outside of the block on Brown out of bounds that deserves flags?

There was at least one other play where he was well out of bounds the play was over the whistle had blown yet he was still in destroy mode trying to toss the defender - it was earlier in the game and IMO a flag if thrown wouldn't have been unwarranted.    It was Adams that he tried to hurl off of him at like 7:13 left in the 2nd quarter. 

I am with Sergio - Gronk had a whole 4 catches the entire game - other than the late TD by Gronk - Sergio shut him down!  :P

(1) I believe only if the player was less than 200 lbs.

(2) If intentionally breaking the rules is justified, then Sergio should take out Gronk's knee whilst he stands on the sidelines.

(3) Yes.  But I'll admit, I thought I was watching Jack Doyle wearing number 87 in a Pats uniform until he bulldozed the 190 lb S near the end of the game.

(4) Gronk...the TE...dominated the LOS more than any of the 6 OL the Pats were playing? 

(5) Or perhaps it was the third OT the Pats used. 

Really sad, I'm so sorry. I hate the Pats and Gronk, but I'm a grown up, and when a player from the other team comes out and completely kicks our butt, I can accept it. I don't have to make things up, I saw the game and know football, now if I were inmature and couldn't take it when I got my little butt kicked. I would probably react like a little baby and not give credit where it's do, or if I absolutely didn't know anything, about football I would say Gronk didn't do anything and bring up the weight of some of the players on the other team, who were smaller than he. (laughable) Did the big boy pick on the little players, "he didn't do anything but knock around the little guys" give me a freaking break I'll take my ball and go home

(6) Agreed.

The Legend-of-Gronk will live eternally.

celebrating when you are trailing in the fourth quarter isn't a good look. I realize it was his first td, but he is a lineman, generally that isn't his primary job. I don't have a huge issue with it, but that was maybe the worst celebration ever

It's not like they were down by three scores and had no chance at winning the game. That was a huge play that could have helped us get back in the game (if only the defense could get a stop). I don't mind celebrating a TD right there. If it had been a simple celebration, I don't think anyone would be talking about the game situation.

Now the dance? Dumb. But not because of the game situation.

Maybe I'm the only Colt fan here that has this mindset, but I completely dislike that Sergio was talking in the first place (but trash talk happens so no biggie) but the I especially hate the twitter use. Quit acting like a thug and focus on football. I could care less what Gronk does, says, acts, preaches, puts his hands in or eats, but Sergio should not be focused on anything but winning the game.

I'm not saying he has to be the church type (Dungy days), I'm just saying that he can be mean and agressive and not open his trap. Those words can be taken as something else in the heat of the moment and shouldn't be said in the first place. If I were coach I'd immediately tell him to get his rear off social media and focus on becoming a starter and being a better piece of our football team.

All this talk about Gronkowski is just a ridiculous double standard.  If he was on the Colts we would all love him - talent, antics, everything.  He trucked Brown and probably went overboard with it but who cares?  It is football - it happens.

And Brown should just shut his pie hole.  Accepting what he said as fact, and I don't, the Colts got hammered. His bravado serves no purpose and in fact may be words that haunt him should the Colts and Pats face each other in the near future.

I am comfirming that I hope loudmouth punk Sergio Brown is soon back on the bench even if it means a return to the steroids king.

I respectfully disagree with your opinion on Brown. Smack talk is part of the game. It happens in every competitive sport all the time. What Gronk did when he hit/pushed Brown so far out of bounds was no less cowardly than a sucker punch. Brown isn't expecting someone to basically assault him out of the boundaries of the playing field. My sister could shove a 250 pound man across the room with momentum and a good angle if the man isn't expecting to be shoved. I suppose Brown hurt Gronk's feelings with some words? That was a ridiculous move and a poor excuse to do it.

All this talk about Gronkowski is just a ridiculous double standard. If he was on the Colts we would all love him - talent, antics, everything. He trucked Brown and probably went overboard with it but who cares? It is football - it happens.

And Brown should just shut his pie hole. Accepting what he said as fact, and I don't, the Colts got hammered. His bravado serves no purpose and in fact may be words that haunt him should the Colts and Pats face each other in the near future.

Agreed.

There's always 10s of pages of Colts fans shredding players who talk "trash" on twitter and other social media outlets, but when Brown does it, it has some mystical justification. And now because Brown said that a majority are now happy that we have some "grittiness" on our team... pff cmon.

Also just an FYI Colts fans you can be mean and agressive (or have grit) and not talk trash on social media outlets. And if (who knows if it's true) but IF Brown was talking about how he hurt Gronk or Gronk took it that way then I'd say that's not the type of "grit" I want on my team. Talking about hurting another player is just as bad as intentionally hurting someone in my book.

Agreed.

There's always 10s of pages of Colts fans shredding players who talk "trash" on twitter and other social media outlets, but when Brown does it, it has some mystical justification. And now because Brown said that a majority are now happy that we have some "grittiness" on our team... pff cmon.

Also just an FYI Colts fans you can be mean and agressive (or have grit) and not talk trash on social media outlets. And if (who knows if it's true) but IF Brown was talking about how he hurt Gronk or Gronk took it that way then I'd say that's not the type of "grit" I want on my team. Talking about hurting another player is just as bad as intentionally hurting someone in my book.

A. Nobody is defending Brown.

B. Nobody actually knows what he was saying.

I respectfully disagree with your opinion on Brown. Smack talk is part of the game. It happens in every competitive sport all the time. What Gronk did when he hit/pushed Brown so far out of bounds was no less cowardly than a sucker punch. Brown isn't expecting someone to basically assault him out of the boundaries of the playing field. My sister could shove a 250 pound man across the room with momentum and a good angle if the man isn't expecting to be shoved. I suppose Brown hurt Gronk's feelings with some words? That was a ridiculous move and a poor excuse to do it.

So far out of bounds ? They went down literally 3 yards out of bounds, if that.

So far out of bounds ? They went down literally 3 yards out of bounds, if that.

3 yards/9 feet, is was far enough out of bounds it drew a flag without hesitation. Again, talking smack is part of the game. Gronk should take out the anger associated with his hurt feelings or whatever on the field, not by shoving a Defensive player into a camera off field.

3 yards/9 feet, is was far enough out of bounds it drew a flag without hesitation. Again, talking smack is part of the game. Gronk should take out the anger associated with his hurt feelings or whatever on the field, not by shoving a Defensive player into a camera off field.

Which didn't happen, but okay.

Why are Colt fans completely misrepresenting what happened? Go back and watch that gif. Brown was holding onto Gronk, too.

Putting straps on someone doesn't mean you broke their arm, either. 

not sure if anyone knows what it means . . . I have never heard of the expression . . . I do know that strap can be slang for firearm . . . "straps on" could me he was all over him covering him . . . or "straps on" could be a reference to the straps that hold Gronk's brace on his forearm, the one that Brown broke . . .

Which didn't happen, but okay.

Why are Colt fans completely misrepresenting what happened? Go back and watch that gif. Brown was holding onto Gronk, too.

I did go back and watch it. Not sure what you're watching. If Gronk did nothing wrong, then why was he flagged? If you were to sit and watch a game with me, you would realize I'm about as unbiased as anyone can be when it comes to penalties. If someone did something wrong, Colt or not, throw the darn flag.  

not sure if anyone knows what it means . . . I have never heard of the expression . . . I do know that strap can be slang for firearm . . . "straps on" could me he was all over him covering him . . . or "straps on" could be a reference to the straps that hold Gronk's brace on his forearm, the one that Brown broke . . .

This is what I thought he meant when I first saw it, but like you said, who knows what he really meant?

My first thought when I saw the play was Bryan Cox. Remember when he laid out Pathon in Indy in 2001? It was a bone jarring hit that set the tone for that defense all year. I got that same feeling watching Gronk not just on the hit to Brown but all night. All the talk pregame was how would the Colts stop Gronk in the pass game. No one saw him blocking in-line for the majority of the game and that helped the Pats play a type of physical football we have not seem since late last year when they had Blount carrying the ball. And in all honestly, the way the Oline has looked this year, I was not sure they still had that type of game at their disposal.

In terms of the Brown play, it was late and deserved the flag but after listening to Ty Law and Bruschi’s comments and how that type of play can ignite a whole team, I really loved it. It was similar to Jordan Devey hitting the Bengals player after the whistle because he hit Brady late. It was flagged as well but again a tone setter for an Oline that had been pushed around for most of the season. It is also the same reason I liked Manning getting up in Swearinger’s grill after he laid out Welker. All of these plays are unsportsmanlike and outside the rules but football is a game of imposing one’s will on another team. It is as much about attitude as it is about play.

The one thing the last two SB winners have in common is they were physical teams on both sides of the ball. They laid the wood. Often. The Pats teams of the early 00’s were the same way. So far this team has that general make up with players like Gronk and Browner and now Jonas Gray. Good signs for the post-season IMO.

That all being said, I don’t blame Indy fans for being mad about the play. It was kind of a capper to a night where for three hours your team was pushed around at will. Plays like that sting.

All this talk about Gronkowski is just a ridiculous double standard.  If he was on the Colts we would all love him - talent, antics, everything.  He trucked Brown and probably went overboard with it but who cares?  It is football - it happens.

And Brown should just shut his pie hole.  Accepting what he said as fact, and I don't, the Colts got hammered. His bravado serves no purpose and in fact may be words that haunt him should the Colts and Pats face each other in the near future.

Slow clap... thank God someone else realizes this, lol...

So he is patting himself on the back for "shutting down" Gronk when the Pats had Gronk in blocking most of the game? Why didn't he come up and help tackle Gray a little? Just a thought ...

I really don't get players talking trash in a game where their doors were blown off.

Ya, what nonsense. Brown looked awful not only in trying to cover but in his pitiful attempts to tackle Gray and Gronk. Here's some advice Sergio, when you get your * handed to you just tip your cap and go along your way. Don't make yourself look further the fool than you already did during the game by trying to yap afterward about what a great job you did.

I am going to say my thoughts on the matter here . . . had wanted to give my thoughts earlier in the week but the subject seemed somewhat emotional . . .

For me I think one needs to bring in some context to the incident, after all is not the type of play Gronk has done before.  I had drafted a long post and decided not to post it and will try to be brief and hope I can bring all of my context to the post.

Bottom line the Pats have not won a SB in 10 yrs, try as we might we can not seem to draft good players at the offense skilled position, finally we draft Gronk and the team, fans, and players have a feeling that we will get back to the promise land.

Then comes the 2011 AFCCG and Pollard tackles Gronk in a way that some feel was not clean, he grabs him from behind swings his body behind Gronk and lands on the back of Gronk's legs and pinning and injuring his ankle, not a horse collar and not technically illegal, but in the horse collar family of things that can result in not good things . . . we have a half a Gronk in the SB and whose knows what might of happened if we had a healthy Gronk.

Then comes 2012 and he gets injured by a hit from Brown on an PAT of all things, never heard of such an injury.  We find out that it was a helmet to the forearm, which seems unusual as why would a helmet be near another's forearm?  Again we lose Gronk in the playoffs

Now comes 2013 and we think we are in the clear, and again for the third time Gronk gets injured and by Ward coming at him in somewhat of a blind spot area, goes for his knees and does so with such force that he decleats Gronk, rips his knee and still has enough force to flip him 360 degrees . . . again no Gronk in the playoffs . . . and again, the shot by the defender is viewed by some as not clean . . . either way we lose Gronk for three straight years . . .

Now 2014 comes along and we can't lose Gronk for a 4th straight year can we?  There is talk amongst fans and the media if Gronk has to take actions to avoid questionable hits by defenders this year . . .which is simply not right . . . either way the Denver game comes along and what do you know but the first interaction between Gronk and Ward is Ward coming at his knee, not higher not lower, Gronk has to do a ballerina flip to avoid the guy . . .  

Well at this point perhaps it is time to send a message, just like in the sport of hockey when someone takes a questionable shot at you or your teammate, you take a number and you return the favor at sometime in the future . . . do not want to let people think they can take cheap shots and go unchecked . . .

Now we got this game and Brown talking smack . . . well after three years of no Gronk and defenders not seeming to back away this year . . .perhaps is time to return a volley . . . offensive players can not hit defensive players much unless there is a turnover.   Gronk got his opportunity and wanted to send a message . . .

Perhaps some here can not relate . . . but when you loose you second best asset ( and a very close second to your QB) for three straight seasons late in the career of your QB and in the fourth season you do not see defenders backing down and respecting the brotherhood of football (i.e. do not take an action that will take your brother out of the game for a time period), then one can not really complain if Gronk decides to instill a well place message to the defenders . . .  

Given the Gronk's history above I got no problem with the tackle by Gronk . . .

Okay was not as brief as I wanted to be but I did shorten the post . . . :)

At least Sergio has a spine, and none of the Colts players are mentioning it which is good.

You dont win superbowls with an entire team of church going friendly types. It takes some bad * dudes who bring their lunch pale to work and can get physical.

I agree even in HS if someone tossed a teammate like Grok did he would have out of the game a few plays later sometimes you have to get nasty it's football .

I did go back and watch it. Not sure what you're watching. If Gronk did nothing wrong, then why was he flagged? If you were to sit and watch a game with me, you would realize I'm about as unbiased as anyone can be when it comes to penalties. If someone did something wrong, Colt or not, throw the darn flag.

I never said Gronk did nothing wrong . In my opinion, Brown had it coming , and Gronk paid a fair price.

But if you watch the replay, it was nowhere near as egregious as some Colt fans are making it out to be.