Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Patriot Game Can Reshape the Playoff Picture

Archer

New England doesnt exactly have the plethora of quality receivers that Pittsburgh has.

Ummm what?????

Pittsburgh has ONE good WR. The rest are youngsters learning the ropes

New England has a FAR more potent offense than them.

Unless you're just talking the WR position and not "receivers" as a whole. Then maybe you could give the nod to Pitt.

Focus on winning the division first..... Seeding will take care of itself people

I'm fairly certain beating the Pats would help us win the division. 

if ben r can put 50 points on us imagine what tom will do.

With the #1 offense in the league, we've been known to score a point or two ourselves.  Let's see if they can outscore us in a shootout.  If we don't turn the ball over, I bet they can't. 

Before the season started, I had Broncos as the 1 seed, Colts 2 seed, Patriots 3 seed, Steelers 4 seed. I still see it panning out this way as long the Colts win next Sunday.

Despite how good New England looks, their schedule looks mighty tough.

Lions, @ Packers, @ Chargers, Dolphins, @ Jets.

I can see them tripping up and losing two of those, much like last season, while Denver and Indy have more desirable schedules.

If Pats lose this game it will be like when they lost at MIA last season.  A blown opportunity.

The Colts have a VERY easy schedule after the Pats game.  I think the only game left on their schedule that can give them trouble is at Cleveland = Winter game, outdoors on grass plus the Browns are much better this season.

The Pats might have the hardest schedule remaining in the NFL = Colts, Lions, Packers, Chargers, Dolphins, Bills. Jets.

If the Pats lose at Indy and lose one more game they got 4 loses.  They could be a #3 or #4 seed behind the Broncos, Colts, Browns or Steelers.

And it's not impossible to believe the Dolphins can win in NE.

As of now the Colts have better odds of going 13-3 than the Pats do based on schedule.  And yes, the Pats could finish the season 11-5 and YES the Phins could win the AFC East this season.

If Pats lose this game it will be like when they lost at MIA last season.  A blown opportunity.

The Colts have a VERY easy schedule after the Pats game.  I think the only game left on their schedule that can give them trouble is at Cleveland = Winter game, outdoors on grass plus the Browns are much better this season.

The Pats might have the hardest schedule remaining in the NFL = Colts, Lions, Packers, Chargers, Dolphins, Bills. Jets.

If the Pats lose at Indy and lose one more game they got 4 loses.  They could be a #3 or #4 seed behind the Broncos, Colts, Browns or Steelers.

As of now the Colts have better odds of going 13-3 than the Pats do based on schedule.  And yes, the Pats could finish the season 11-5 and YES the Phins could win the AFC East this season.

I still doubt the Dolphins win the AFC East. I do agree that the road games vs the Packers and Chargers will not be easy for the Patriots given how much later they are played and teams will be desperate then for their own playoff hopes and seeding.

Like they say, it is not who you play but when you play them. In the past, 2010 and prior to that, when Brady beat Peyton, he always ran the table after the high of a win over him. But in 2012, he lost to the 49ers at home and in 2013, lost to the Dolphins to give up the #1 seeding to the Broncos. That level of dominance has not continued the last 2 years. No matter what, I am looking forward to a good Patriots-Colts game.

Focus on winning the division first..... Seeding will take care of itself people

I'm tired of people saying this. We have the worst division in football. It is a foregone conclusion that we are going to win our division. I hope that isn't even in their thought processes. We need to be shooting for higher than just winning our garbage division. That's not even an accomplishment for this team. 

I'm tired of people saying this. We have the worst division in football. It is a foregone conclusion that we are going to win our division. I hope that isn't even in their thought processes. We need to be shooting for higher than just winning our garbage division. That's not even an accomplishment for this team.

How is it not an accomplishment? What have we done in the playoffs?

When you go to the playoffs and do nothing, winning your division is an accomplishment

And we only have a 2 game lead in what you call the worst division in the game. 3 games left in this "worst division" and nothing is guaranteed in the NFL. Texans really aren't that far off from giving the Colts a run for the money. Still can't stop Watt and Mercilus and Clowney (if he ever gets it together) are only gonna make Watt that much better

They just need a QB, and we don't know what Mallet will be in their offense so to say that we're a lock to win the South is a bit premature

When you go to the playoffs and do nothing, winning your division is an accomplishment

And we only have a 2 game lead in what you call the worst division in the game. 3 games left in this "worst division" and nothing is guaranteed in the NFL. Texans really aren't that far off from giving the Colts a run for the money. Still can't stop Watt and Mercilus and Clowney (if he ever gets it together) are only gonna make Watt that much better

They just need a QB, and we don't know what Mallet will be in their offense so to say that we're a lock to win the South is a bit premature

Isn't having a higher seed and home games in the playoffs a good way to boost your chances in the playoffs?  This Colts team is 0-2 on the road and 1-0 at home...so one could argue that worrying about seeding is more important than talking about winning the division at this point, no?  I have never understood why people chime in with the "let's just concentrate on such and such right now" as if our discussions have anything to do with the outcome of the games.

Isn't having a higher seed and home games in the playoffs a good way to boost your chances in the playoffs? This Colts team is 0-2 on the road and 1-0 at home...so one could argue that worrying about seeding is more important than talking about winning the division at this point, no? I have never understood why people chime in with the "let's just concentrate on such and such right now" as if our discussions have anything to do with the outcome of the games.

exactly

I hate to say this but I do not see the patriots game as even being close. if ben r can put 50 points on us imagine what tom will do.

I think it is going to be ugly. Yes. I know the game is in Indy.

How the steelers are playing is irrelevant to next weeks match up with New England. Are you such a noob that you don't understand match ups or the clearly differing strengths of Big Ben and tommy boy?

NFC South is the worst imho, you should sip some apple juice and find a team that you can root for. The Colts seemingly distress your football intellect, you should buy a pats jersey and switch to chowder perhaps?

NFC South is the worst imho, you should sip some apple juice and find a team that you can root for. The Colts seemingly distress your football intellect, you should buy a pats jersey and switch to chowder perhaps?

So..... Because I admit the :flyingelvis: are a better team.... That doesn't mean I'm a :colts: fan?

So..... I'm the only one on this forum that believes the Pats are a better team? Cool, makes sense

Just amazes me how if you don't spend everyone of your posts praising the colts, your fandom gets questioned. Truly funny to me

Isn't having a higher seed and home games in the playoffs a good way to boost your chances in the playoffs? This Colts team is 0-2 on the road and 1-0 at home...so one could argue that worrying about seeding is more important than talking about winning the division at this point, no? I have never understood why people chime in with the "let's just concentrate on such and such right now" as if our discussions have anything to do with the outcome of the games.

No, it doesn't boost your chances if you look at the history. How many times did the #1 seed go on to win the SB?

They talk about that all the time, #1 seed doesn't mean anything.

If you know you're a good team, why does it matter who or when you play?

That's exactly what I'm talking about. You all sit and talk how Andrew will lead this franchise to multiple SB's but it's all these different scenarios. News Flash....... :colts: won't have the #1 seed every year, get used to it. If we're so good as some of you make this team seem...... Why can't we win in NE? In Denver? Shoot, barely won in our own stadium last year.

Struggling in the playoffs for 2 years straight. And you're gonna dismiss a Divisional Championship just because of the other teams in the division?

If the division is as trash as you make it seem...... Please explain why we only have a 2 game lead? If we have a 2 game lead in such a HORRIBLE division, what does that makes us?

No, it doesn't boost your chances if you look at the history. How many times did the #1 seed go on to win the SB?

That's exactly what I'm talking about. You all sit and talk how Andrew will lead this franchise to multiple SB's but it's all these different scenarios. News Flash....... :colts: won't have the #1 seed every year, get used to it. If we're so good as some of you make this team seem...... Why can't we win in NE? In Denver? Shoot, barely won in our own stadium last year.

Struggling in the playoffs for 2 years straight. And you're gonna dismiss a Divisional Championship just because of the other teams in the division?

If the division is as trash as you make it seem...... Please explain why we only have a 2 game lead? If we have a 2 game lead in such a HORRIBLE division, what does that makes us?

:facepalm:

I'm willing to take the bet this year that number 1 seed takes the Super Bowl. :)

I'm willing to take the bet this year that number 1 seed takes the Super Bowl. :)

Wouldn't bet that at all. NFL is too unpredictable. But if NE gets the #1, then I'd agree with you. Seem like the Ravens are the only ones who can best them up there in NE. But I'm sure we'll knock the Ravens out if we play them so they won't even get the chance to play NE

If Pats lose this game it will be like when they lost at MIA last season. A blown opportunity.

The Colts have a VERY easy schedule after the Pats game. I think the only game left on their schedule that can give them trouble is at Cleveland = Winter game, outdoors on grass plus the Browns are much better this season.

If the Pats lose at Indy and lose one more game they got 4 loses. They could be a #3 or #4 seed behind the Broncos, Colts, Browns or Steelers.

As of now the Colts have better odds of going 13-3 than the Pats do based on schedule. And yes, the Pats could finish the season 11-5 and YES the Phins could win the AFC East this season.

Hou will not be easy and neither will Dallas on top of Cleveland. And we haven't even played NE yet. Thats doesn't sound "easy" at all. I'm willing to bet all these games will be close. I think people are gonna find they were mistaken at the end of the season thinking the end of our schedule was so easy.

Pats offense is a matchup problem for our defense.  Brady will likely exploit our linebackers & corners in coverage with short dump offs to Gronkowski and Edelman.  Colts defense has not yet shown that they can stop the short passing attack and Brady is a master at that. 

Holy cow, when you talk match-up problems, you are usually saying that there are too many weapons to deal with.  The Pats figuratively have just two players to worry about - Edelman and Gronk.  I'd like to see how the Pats are going to defend Hilton, Wayne, Nicks, Fleener, Allen, and Moncrief.  Not THAT'S a match-up problem!

Every owner, coach, player, fan and mascot in the history of sports...not just football, but all sports wants home field advantage in the post season.  How does that mean that anyone is saying that we can only win under special circumstances?  I want home games for my team plus I can actually go to the game in Indy.  Beating the best to be the best?  I would much rather beat NE at home...thanks.  You keeping rooting for that 6th seed and I will keep rooting for as high of seed as possible...see, we both can be happy.

Holy cow, when you talk match-up problems, you are usually saying that there are too many weapons to deal with.  The Pats figuratively have just two players to worry about - Edelman and Gronk.  I'd like to see how the Pats are going to defend Hilton, Wayne, Nicks, Fleener, Allen, and Moncrief.  Not THAT'S a match-up problem!

You also have to consider that the Pats have a very good OLine.  If Brady has time he makes LaFell, Tim Wright better and Shane Vereen can get into routes out of the backfield.  Then, those lesser players become matchup problems.  Conversely, if our OL sucks on Sunday night, Luck has no time to find his guys down the field.

You also have to consider that the Pats have a very good OLine.  If Brady has time he makes LaFell, Tim Wright better and Shane Vereen can get into routes out of the backfield.  Then, those lesser players become matchup problems.  Conversely, if our OL sucks on Sunday night, Luck has no time to find his guys down the field.

Actually, I'm considering that the Pats actually have quite a poor OL.  Ours is much better.  Nate Solder has been a sieve at LT, and their interior has been a mess, like ours was the last few years (well maybe that's an exaggeration).  Not sure who the starters will be on the interior against Indy, but Widdell, Connolly, and the rookies Stork and Fleming have all struggled this year.  If not for the quick passes, Brady would be a bloody mess by half-time of every game.  Their RBs have averaged a little less than 3.9 ypc this year (and only 2.7 ypc last week vs. Denver), so that's not a huge concern either.   

Actually, I'm considering that the Pats actually have quite a poor OL.  Ours is much better.  Nate Solder has been a sieve at LT, and their interior has been a mess, like ours was the last few years (well maybe that's an exaggeration).  Not sure who the starters will be on the interior against Indy, but Widdell, Connolly, and the rookies Stork and Fleming have all struggled this year.  If not for the quick passes, Brady would be a bloody mess by half-time of every game.  Their RBs have averaged a little less than 3.9 ypc this year (and only 2.7 ypc last week vs. Denver), so that's not a huge concern either.   

Hmmmm...not sure I agree with your assessment of their OL.  When the Pats were getting smashed by KC and Miami and had the lack luster performance against the raiders, Brady was getting hit often, and we all know, when he gets hit like that, he starts seeing ghosts.  Brady has been sacked just 5 times during their streak against decent defenses:  Den, NYJ, Buffalo, and Cin.  I am very worried that the Colts' blitzes won't get home.  I am worried the LaFell and Vereen will hurt us as a result.

Two things from this rambling mess of a post.

1) When digging yourself a hole, stop digging.

2) Isn't the goal to get to the Super Bowl and in the process of that goal, give yourself the best chance to do it.  While being a two 2 seed does not guarantee anything, isn't giving yourself chance to get there by only having to win 2 games vs. 3 a better option?

Hmmmm...not sure I agree with your assessment of their OL.  When the Pats were getting smashed by KC and Miami and had the lack luster performance against the raiders, Brady was getting hit often, and we all know, when he gets hit like that, he starts seeing ghosts.  Brady has been sacked just 5 times during their streak against decent defenses:  Den, NYJ, Buffalo, and Cin.  I am very worried that the Colts' blitzes won't get home.  I am worried the LaFell and Vereen will hurt us as a result.

Well, I certainly haven't watched the entire game for NE any of the last 5 or 6 weeks, since I flip back and forth on the NFL ticket.  I do notice that Brady has been sacked 2 more times than Luck, despite the fact that Luck is logging a record pace for pass attempts and tends to hold the ball too long when trying to make something happen.  I think that with our starting OL intact (which I don't think has happened at all since week 3...maybe one week since then???), we have the OL advantage. 

Yes, that's the 1st goal, set out before the season. OTOH, at this point in time, the goal is also 'win the game before you now'.  Only then will we'll concentrate on winning the next one.  Somehow, at this stage, Win the Division first (while worthy goal) in our current situation sends the message to me, if you're going to slip, do it against a non division; and preferably, non conference team.  I don't want any slips as we wind down.  Home field is such an advantage, this game (to me) almost has the feel and urgency of playing a division rival, if not more.

Brady makes his lesser known receivers good enough to exploit our weaknesses in short yardage coverage.  They could all be nameless so long as they can execute Belicheck's game plan.

Colts offense has to be more consistent though.  Luck can't go chucking interceptions left and right..especially against a team like New England.  This is a grow up game.   We will know where we stand after Sunday night. 

Well, I certainly haven't watched the entire game for NE any of the last 5 or 6 weeks, since I flip back and forth on the NFL ticket.  I do notice that Brady has been sacked 2 more times than Luck, despite the fact that Luck is logging a record pace for pass attempts and tends to hold the ball too long when trying to make something happen.  I think that with our starting OL intact (which I don't think has happened at all since week 3...maybe one week since then???), we have the OL advantage. 

For the first four games, the OL was a disaster. They had all sorts of personnel issues and were moving guys in and out, starting different combinations, etc.

Right around the Cincy game, Stork (rookie C) came back, allowing them to move former centers Connolly (LG) and Wendell (RG) to the guard spots. That combination has been good. I wouldn't say they're great... but they've brought a lot of stability to the line finally, and Stork looks like a keeper. He plays with a mean streak and more attitude than the veterans around him. I see him being the future leader of their line (sort of in the Mankins role). 

While the interior of the line was getting sorted out, Volmer and Solder both stepped up their games quite a bit since those first few horrible weeks. Both will still have trouble occasionally with speed rushers, but they did a nice job negating Denver's outside pass rush duo and other notable defensive lines (Jets, Bills) during the current win streak. 

Brady has been getting rid of the ball pretty quickly and actually looks very good moving in the pocket. Apparently that was something he's been working on going back to last season. He's obviously not Luck when it comes to moving on his feet, but he's managed to extend some plays by sliding this way or that. 

The OL isn't much of a weakness for NE right now... they've been pretty solid against good competition. If they fail to protect Brady then obviously it's not going to go well Sunday night!