Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pep and Chudzinski-Once the season is over?

loudnproudcolt

Spoiler-I am jumping ahead to the end of the season, but only since we have a bit of a break!

Well we have a couple of weeks to look at the good things, and some of the bad that has happened in our first nine games. I think it is undeniable how good the offense looks compared to last year, and it seems Pep has come to the conclusion to put the ball in Andrew's hands, and play to the strengths of the team.

So we are nine games in, and the games and season seem to go by faster each year! So with two weeks,  I was wondering with the numbers the team is putting up, has anybody let their mind go to the offseason yet. Last year after the season, Pep was getting serious consideration for Head coaching positions. With the numbers being put up, the attention is only going to grow. My question, if Pep were to be hired away, would we just replace him with Chud. and basically keep the offensive scheme we have? When you consider the offensive monster we are morphing into, I don't want anything to derail the train. Keep the offense on autopilot and keep building the defense up. 

My point of view on this hypothetical departure is this: Why would it be safe to assume the Pep wants to leave Luck & the INDY organization? They've got chemistry & Irsay would gladly pay Pep a little extra to say put. 

Yeah I know, I said that Bruce Arians should remain with the Colts vs take the job in AZ to compete for Championships so what the hades do I know right? LOL! 

I just don't see a better offer for Pep unless he wins a ring under the Luck regime to increase his HC stock & potential job opportunities. Some OC's like being the big fish in a small pond just fine. He's not leaving. 

I'm sure Chud was brought in for the very reason you mention regarding Pep generating head coaching interest. The Colts are looking ahead to when Pep is gone.

Chudzinski would make a logical successor.  I just don't take it as a given or foregone conclusion that Pep is looking for the fastest exit away from INDY & onto greener pastures career wise. 

Could I be wrong? Sure I could. It's just a gut feeling I have that Pep is happy, knows Andrew well from his college Stanford days, & feels respected where he's at so why rock the boat? JMO. 

When a relationship works, why mess it up especially if you know what extraordinary QB you get to work with & break new milestones every year? 

I think Pep has grown into the job this season.  In listening to NFL Radio yesterday afternoon, Pep was roundly criticized by Jim Miller and Pat Kirwan for passing too much against the Giants.  They likened the Colts ability to play with 2 TEs similar to what the Pats do and run the ball to set up the pass.  It occurred to me that these two guys have not spent much time this season or last really watching the Colts.  The Colts have been relatively balanced 7 of 9 games - the Steelers and Giants are the outliers.  

Pep has developed a game to game planning process.  I like that ability to think like that and its great to have that kind of personnel. When the Pats were loaded with Randy Moss, Welker, etc. that's what they did.  One week it was pound it, the next the ball was being thrown all over the yard.

I think that Pep could become one of those guys that stays in the NFL looking for his shot.  He's working with the next great QB in the NFL and leaving before a SB appearance would be short sighted.  The college game isn't going anywhere - Pep is starting to prove the doubters wrong (I was one of them).

I would really like to know what does Chud really do day-to-day.  Is he Pagano's sounding board? Is he just focused on tyne offense? does he have input to defense and STs given his HC past?  If he though he might inherit the OC job that thought might be slipping away.

I think Pep is very slowly getting a little better at in game adjustments, because he has been terrible at it in the past. Like he only has two games plans, 1st half and 2nd half. Like I said, I think he's on the right path though. 

Pep's finally letting Luck throw it which is good (since we have major weapons all over) but I'd still like to see more play action. Oh, and the jumbo personnel thing.......only on goal line please. Or throw out of it like the wide open TD to Allen. That was one of the best calls Pep's ever done.

I'm still unclear what Chud does, but if Pep ever leaves I would hope that he would keep the same offense installed, because that would be terrible for the offense to have to learn it's 3rd system in 4 years. 

I think Pep is very slowly getting a little better at in game adjustments, because he has been terrible at it in the past. Like he only has two games plans, 1st half and 2nd half. Like I said, I think he's on the right path though. 

Pep's finally letting Luck throw it which is good (since we have major weapons all over) but I'd still like to see more play action. Oh, and the jumbo personnel thing.......only on goal line please. Or throw out of it like the wide open TD to Allen. That was one of the best calls Pep's ever done.

I'm still unclear what Chud does, but if Pep ever leaves I would hope that he would keep the same offense installed, because that would be terrible for the offense to have to learn it's 3rd system in 4 years. 

You seem to want context in my posts so here goes...

I think people complaining about in-game adjustments is hysterical because you simply do not have a clue.  But in the same breath you talk about having two plans - 1st half and 2nd half.  Isn't that making adjustments?

And play action?  Did you watch the game on Monday - there were many, many play action passes. 

He let Luck throw it last year too.  But the facts were hidden by people being blinded by their dislike of him.  He had game specific plans - for instance, early games last year they threw it all over the place in early games against J'ville and Miami.

Not gonna like this one Lolly.  The overloaded line has created nice holes and misdirection for the Colts.  Do you just not like Pep?  This offense is a monster and our line is still banged up with Cherilous (knee) Mewhort (knee) and Thornton (ankle) playing through pain.  

As to the topic, Pep will stay at least another year unless he gets a big time college offer IMO.  He needs another year in a leadership position.  Hopefully after we win the Super Bowl.

I think people complaining about in-game adjustments is hysterical because you simply do not have a clue.  But in the same breath you talk about having two plans - 1st half and 2nd half.  Isn't that making adjustments?

And play action?  Did you watch the game on Monday - there were many, many play action passes. 

He let Luck throw it last year too.  But the facts were hidden by people being blinded by their dislike of him.  He had game specific plans - for instance, early games last year they threw it all over the place in early games against J'ville and Miami.

One comment....TONS of Play Action.!  Thanks.

:facepalm:

Ok, I'll throw you a bone. 

In game adjustments are exactly that. You adapt to the situation while it's happening, not wait til the half to try and figure it out. Watch the Steelers game. Todd freaking Haley started throwing slants/screens as soon as we started blitzing the Steelers and went max protect. That's an in game adjustment. If he would've waited until the half to start doing that, that's a 2nd half adjustment. 

Oh, and play action only works if you actually run the ball. We ran it around 7 or 8 times in the first half. 

School's over. 

PS: I never said I didn't like Pep either. I was actually giving him a compliment. (back handed I suppose) 

Not gonna like this one Lolly.  The overloaded line has created nice holes and misdirection for the Colts.  Do you just not like Pep?  This offense is a monster and our line is still banged up with Cherilous (knee) Mewhort (knee) and Thornton (ankle) playing through pain.  

As to the topic, Pep will stay at least another year unless he gets a big time college offer IMO.  He needs another year in a leadership position.  Hopefully after we win the Super Bowl.

I like Pep now. He used to be terrible, but now he's getting a lot better.

The line sucked because of Lance Louis. 

I like Pep now. He used to be terrible, but now he's getting a lot better.

The line sucked because of Lance Louis. 

Louis was bad, but he did not expect to play.  Thornton missed a team meeting...a disciplinary decision by Pags as reported in the Star this AM.

In game adjustments are exactly that. You adapt to the situation while it's happening, not wait til the half to try and figure it out. Watch the Steelers game. Todd freaking Haley started throwing slants/screens as soon as we started blitzing the Steelers and went max protect. That's an in game adjustment. If he would've waited until the half to start doing that, that's a 2nd half adjustment. 

Oh, and play action only works if you actually run the ball. We ran it around 7 or 8 times in the first half. 

School's over. 

PS: I never said I didn't like Pep either. I was actually giving him a compliment. (back handed I suppose) 

I think we only ran the ball 5 times....31 throws.  Play action still makes the defense hesitate regardless.  I love it.

I feel as if behind the scenes there is a clash over what the Colt's want to be offensively. Last year it seemed like Pep played to the power running game that Grigs and Pagano wanted and was running every 1st and 2nd down, and they were feeding Richardson when it was clear he wasn't ready/effective. This year they've opened up the playbook and Luck is looking like and MVP.

The split back approach has worked better than the ground and pound, but the last 2 games we've abandoned the run. And it's weird because Stanford had a solid ground and pound run game when Pep was at Stanford. But Luck is having an MVP caliber season and the receiving weapons are aplenty. But then they don't seem to account for when he plays poorly (Like he did against the Giants, although the OL was terrible) and then the run can't save them.

I wonder if they think Chudzinski could give them more of what they want if Pep leaves.

I think we only ran the ball 5 times....31 throws.  Play action still makes the defense hesitate regardless.  I love it.

I absolutely love play action too, but if we never actually run the ball the defense isn't going to fall for it, and just keep blitzing and put our star QB on his back. Poor Luck had to be hurting after the NY game.  

I'm guessing this was part of his Tuesday 

ice-bath_520.jpg

I thought Chud was a defensive coach when he was with Cleveland.  I think we would be better off promoting Clyde if Pep does leave.  Hoping that doesn't happen, but I do believe we have one of the best coaching staffs in the NFL right now, so Im not too worried about it!

Chud has always been an offensive coach as far as I know.  He was OC with the Panthers before going to Cleveland.  BTW, I may literally puke if Clyde became OC again.

Chud has always been an offensive coach as far as I know.  He was OC with the Panthers before going to Cleveland.  BTW, I may literally puke if Clyde became OC again.

Oh for some reason I thought he was a defensive coach.  IDC who our OC is if they keep the same system and let Andrew call the plays, like with Peyton and Tom Moore.  Tom Moore was a great OC!!

I think Pep has grown into the job this season.  In listening to NFL Radio yesterday afternoon, Pep was roundly criticized by Jim Miller and Pat Kirwan for passing too much against the Giants.  They likened the Colts ability to play with 2 TEs similar to what the Pats do and run the ball to set up the pass.  It occurred to me that these two guys have not spent much time this season or last really watching the Colts.  The Colts have been relatively balanced 7 of 9 games - the Steelers and Giants are the outliers.  

Pep has developed a game to game planning process.  I like that ability to think like that and its great to have that kind of personnel. When the Pats were loaded with Randy Moss, Welker, etc. that's what they did.  One week it was pound it, the next the ball was being thrown all over the yard.

I think that Pep could become one of those guys that stays in the NFL looking for his shot.  He's working with the next great QB in the NFL and leaving before a SB appearance would be short sighted.  The college game isn't going anywhere - Pep is starting to prove the doubters wrong (I was one of them).

I would really like to know what does Chud really do day-to-day.  Is he Pagano's sounding board? Is he just focused on tyne offense? does he have input to defense and STs given his HC past?  If he though he might inherit the OC job that thought might be slipping away.

Not that I think it has anything that reflects a whole lot on what kind of job Pep and Chud are doing but I believe Luck is on pace to break Stafford's record for most pass attempts in a year. Sorry for the long sentence.

School's over. 

School may be over but strange, I don't feel like I learned anything. 

My opinion towards pep has changed since last season till now, at times i disagree with some of his play calls but so far this season he has called a pretty good offense. so with that being said i wouldn't be to heart broken if he decided to leave but i like the things that he is doing. 

All good questions Lollgager & Smash Mouth. What is Chud's job description anyway? I have no idea either. If he is just a guy to bounce formations off of, it seems odd that no Colts fan can figure out what his primary role is. And forget asking GM Ryan Grigson either...That guy couldn't give the media or fanbase a direct, tangible answer if his life depended on it.  haha

Spoiler-I am jumping ahead to the end of the season, but only since we have a bit of a break!

Well we have a couple of weeks to look at the good things, and some of the bad that has happened in our first nine games. I think it is undeniable how good the offense looks compared to last year, and it seems Pep has come to the conclusion to put the ball in Andrew's hands, and play to the strengths of the team.

So we are nine games in, and the games and season seem to go by faster each year! So with two weeks,  I was wondering with the numbers the team is putting up, has anybody let their mind go to the offseason yet. Last year after the season, Pep was getting serious consideration for Head coaching positions. With the numbers being put up, the attention is only going to grow. My question, if Pep were to be hired away, would we just replace him with Chud. and basically keep the offensive scheme we have? When you consider the offensive monster we are morphing into, I don't want anything to derail the train. Keep the offense on autopilot and keep building the defense up. 

Yes that is the PLAN. Hope this helps you.

I think you deserve to be banned for that post.

I don't understand the hate of Clyde Christensen on here? I think he does a pretty good job with QBs minus Painter, and is a sufficient play caller, I'd say he is a better offensive mind/play caller than Chud was

I don't understand the hate of Clyde Christensen on here? I think he does a pretty good job with QBs minus Painter, and is a sufficient play caller

I thought he did a terrible job with the offense in 2011. Just basic stuff, like changing the passing concepts when your QB went down. We eventually did when we put Orlovsky in, but it shouldn't take three months to figure out that Kerry Collins and Curtis Painter can't run the same offense as Peyton Manning. Shouldn't take three seconds. I'd rather find a better candidate, if Pep does leave (and I honestly doubt that happens this year).

I thought he did a terrible job with the offense in 2011. Just basic stuff, like changing the passing concepts when your QB went down. We eventually did when we put Orlovsky in, but it shouldn't take three months to figure out that Kerry Collins and Curtis Painter can't run the same offense as Peyton Manning. Shouldn't take three seconds. I'd rather find a better candidate, if Pep does leave (and I honestly doubt that happens this year).

Didn't Jim Caldwell say that was his decision not to change the offense when they realized Manning wasn't going to play that year? I'm wasn't going to knock Caldwell or Christensen for Curtis Painter lol

Christensen called a great game vs Ravens in the 2012 playoffs for Arians, Colts had like 6 redzone trips but couldn't convert.

I liked his offenses pre-manning injury and the playoff game.

But hey I might be a loner here but I like his offense and would like to keep Luck with somebody who he's been with so it's a smooth transition and by that time Luck will be in full command of the offense and won't have to have a transition period like Roethlisberger and Eli Manning did/is going through

Didn't Jim Caldwell say that was his decision not to change the offense when they realized Manning wasn't going to play that year? I'm wasn't going to knock Caldwell or Christensen for Curtis Painter lol

Christensen called a great game vs Ravens in the 2012 playoffs for Arians, Colts had like 6 redzone trips but couldn't convert.

I liked his offenses pre-manning injury and the playoff game.

But hey I might be a loner here but I like his offense and would like to keep Luck with somebody who he's been with so it's a smooth transition and by that time Luck will be in full command of the offense and won't have to have a transition period like Roethlisberger and Eli Manning did/is going through

I don't remember hearing Caldwell say that, but he definitely wasn't going to place the blame on one of his assistants. I don't know how the decision was made, and the head coach is ultimately the shot caller, but I think a good coordinator stands up and says "no, this won't work for this QB (or these QBs), we need to make these specific adjustments in order to put our offense and our QBs in the best situation." I think he convinces the head coach, and everyone else in the room, that these changes need to be made.

And to me, those changes were pretty obvious. And since there was little chance that Manning would be able to play (we all knew he was out at least three months), the majority of the season would be played with a different QB, and those changes should have been in the works long before Week 11 when Orlovsky was put in. 

So it's hard for me to divorce that bad coaching from the person who was supposed to be in charge of the offense, who had the most influence over the gameplans, who worked directly with the QBs, etc. Clyde might be better now; he did call a decent game against the Ravens (I wouldn't call it great), but I cringe at the thought of him being put back in charge of the offense.

And if he is eventually a candidate, whenever that position happens to open up, I hope they at least interview several other guys, rather than just giving it to him out of convenience, in the name of familiarity and all that. I appreciate consistency and continuity and all that, but I think it's more important to hire good talent than it is to get comfortable in your "system," or whatever. I wouldn't want to bring in someone with an entirely different offensive approach, if I could avoid it. But sometimes, adjusting your approach is a good thing, and I think Luck can handle it. 

For the record, I'm not excited about the prospect of making Chudzinski the coordinator, either.

I don't remember hearing Caldwell say that, but he definitely wasn't going to place the blame on one of his assistants. I don't know how the decision was made, and the head coach is ultimately the shot caller, but I think a good coordinator stands up and says "no, this won't work for this QB (or these QBs), we need to make these specific adjustments in order to put our offense and our QBs in the best situation." I think he convinces the head coach, and everyone else in the room, that these changes need to be made.

And to me, those changes were pretty obvious. And since there was little chance that Manning would be able to play (we all knew he was out at least three months), the majority of the season would be played with a different QB, and those changes should have been in the works long before Week 11 when Orlovsky was put in.

So it's hard for me to divorce that bad coaching from the person who was supposed to be in charge of the offense, who had the most influence over the gameplans, who worked directly with the QBs, etc. Clyde might be better now; he did call a decent game against the Ravens (I wouldn't call it great), but I cringe at the thought of him being put back in charge of the offense.

And if he is eventually a candidate, whenever that position happens to open up, I hope they at least interview several other guys, rather than just giving it to him out of convenience, in the name of familiarity and all that. I appreciate consistency and continuity and all that, but I think it's more important to hire good talent than it is to get comfortable in your "system," or whatever. I wouldn't want to bring in someone with an entirely different offensive approach, if I could avoid it. But sometimes, adjusting your approach is a good thing, and I think Luck can handle it.

For the record, I'm not excited about the prospect of making Chudzinski the coordinator, either.

I think you are putting too much emphasis on that one bad decision with Painter and disregarding the offensive minds Caldwell and Christensen are, because that didn't stop Caldwell from landing an OC and eventually another HC job.

I just can't blame them for Painter he would've been terrible no matter what, but somebody had to take the fall for it

But for me Christensen > Chud if I had to choose

But I hope Pep doesn't leave