Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pep and Chudzinski-Once the season is over?

loudnproudcolt

I absolutely love play action too, but if we never actually run the ball the defense isn't going to fall for it, and just keep blitzing and put our star QB on his back. Poor Luck had to be hurting after the NY game.  

I'm guessing this was part of his Tuesday 

ice-bath_520.jpg

What are those? Look like screws.

I think you are putting too much emphasis on that one bad decision with Painter and disregarding the offensive minds Caldwell and Christensen are, because that didn't stop Caldwell from landing an OC and eventually another HC job.

I just can't blame them for Painter he would've been terrible no matter what, but somebody had to take the fall for it

But for me Christensen > Chud if I had to choose

But I hope Pep doesn't leave

I've never had any real regard for either of Caldwell or Christensen as offensive minds. To me, neither of them have done anything not involving Tom Moore and Peyton Manning. Caldwell did well with Flacco in the 2012 playoffs, but then Flacco had a terrible year in 2013. I have nothing personal against them, but I'm not impressed by either of their resumes.

And I don't think it was just one bad decision with Painter. As a matter of fact, as bad as Painter was/is, when he stepped in for Collins, he was actually better. My problems with Christensen go back to the Collins starts, when he was clearly a bad fit with the offense. I don't just blame him for how bad Painter was. I don't think he did a good job as the coach of the offense. 

I've never had any real regard for either of Caldwell or Christensen as offensive minds. To me, neither of them have done anything not involving Tom Moore and Peyton Manning. Caldwell did well with Flacco in the 2012 playoffs, but then Flacco had a terrible year in 2013. I have nothing personal against them, but I'm not impressed by either of their resumes.

And I don't think it was just one bad decision with Painter. As a matter of fact, as bad as Painter was/is, when he stepped in for Collins, he was actually better. My problems with Christensen go back to the Collins starts, when he was clearly a bad fit with the offense. I don't just blame him for how bad Painter was. I don't think he did a good job as the coach of the offense.

Collins was only with the team for two weeks before the season opener vs Texans. No way to expect that offense to be in sync in anyway with Collins no matter the offense

Didn't Jim Caldwell say that was his decision not to change the offense when they realized Manning wasn't going to play that year? I'm wasn't going to knock Caldwell or Christensen for Curtis Painter lol

Christensen called a great game vs Ravens in the 2012 playoffs for Arians, Colts had like 6 redzone trips but couldn't convert.

I liked his offenses pre-manning injury and the playoff game.

But hey I might be a loner here but I like his offense and would like to keep Luck with somebody who he's been with so it's a smooth transition and by that time Luck will be in full command of the offense and won't have to have a transition period like Roethlisberger and Eli Manning did/is going through

Here's my question, what IS Clyde's offense?  Prior to Manning's injury they were still running the Tom Moore/Peyton offense.  The only time we've really seen Clyde have to come up with something on his own was in 2011.  Personally i think Painter gets a bad rap.  Not that he's anything special mind you, but he's no where near Peyton so why they were trying to have him run the same offense Peyton was running I'll never understand.  

Here's my question, what IS Clyde's offense? Prior to Manning's injury they were still running the Tom Moore/Peyton offense. The only time we've really seen Clyde have to come up with something on his own was in 2011. Personally i think Painter gets a bad rap. Not that he's anything special mind you, but he's no where near Peyton so why they were trying to have him run the same offense Peyton was running I'll never understand.

My opinion cause no one knows for sure but I would assume it's a combination of all the offenses he coached under, I liked the offense in 2011 just not the QBs that were running it, and his playoff game play calling vs Ravens but that was Arians but I enjoyed the play calling for the most part

Collins was only with the team for two weeks before the season opener vs Texans. No way to expect that offense to be in sync in anyway with Collins no matter the offense

It wasn't the right offense for Collins. I understand that the team wasn't going to be in sync, but the passing concepts were mostly based on timing, which is something Collins was never good at. He doesn't throw receivers open; he throws to open receivers, and mostly outside the numbers. We had him trying to throw timing routes across the middle of the field, like he was Peyton.

Raw hand that everyone got dealt, but I don't like the way they handled it. The minute Manning was going to be out, they should have made major adjustments to the offense. Instead, they just tried to "do what we do," as if the person from whom the offense had spawned could just be stood in for. Painter was a better fit, which is why the offense was actually better in his first couple of games, but the coaches still didn't do enough to adjust for his strengths and weaknesses, IMO.

It all just boils down to us having different opinions of Christensen. I was just joking with my original comment, of course, but I'm really not a fan of him as a coordinator. And even if you assume that he's learned and made improvements, I still think we should be able to do better if we need to hire a new OC. At the very least, I would like to see us cast a wide net and interview a bunch of guys before we just hand the job to anyone in the name of continuity.

yeh , leave a championship team to get fired after 1 or 2 Yrs....

Gus Bradley would like to see you in his office. And there's a message for you from Bruce Arians.

Eric Mangini, Josh McDaniels, Mike Mularkey, etc., etc., etc., have all taken advantage of the opportunity to become head coaches, leaving good teams and good situations to do so. Not to mention the extra money. It always cracks me up when people think that an assistant coach isn't going to consider opportunities for advancement just because he's in a good situation already. There are some coaches that aren't interested in the head job, but most of them have worked their butts off for decades, hoping for a shot one day.

yeh , leave a championship team to get fired after 1 or 2 Yrs....

Yeah, that is where I thought you were going with that and it is just simply wrong.

First off, taking a HC job does not make him disloyal. Not even close.

Second, he might actually take a job and not assume that he will be fired in a couple of years.  Sometimes they actually do win and always take the job thinking they will turn it around.

I give Pep a lot of credit because he (FINALLY!) changed his offensive philosophy to fit his personnel. Not all coaches do that. And while it took Pep a while, he finally realized what he had. And now we are all enjoying the team's success.

Charles Barkley famously said.. "There is no such thing as a good loss." I disagree. I think the Eagles game changed everything for Pep and our offense. This was a game that we should have won. But it was thrown away because Pep and Chuck coached scared, instead of coaching to our strength.

I would have loved to have been the old "fly on the wall" during the Tuesday morning meeting after that loss. That is when this team changed. Our entire offensive philosophy became radically different after that game. And it has been great. Interestingly, Luck has passed for 300 or more yards in EVERY GAME since then. 3 times we have scored 40 or more points. This offense has not looked back since.

That Eagles loss could one day be considered the best thing that ever happened for Pep's career, Luck's career, and our beloved Indianapolis Colts. 

I give Pep a lot of credit because he (FINALLY!) changed his offensive philosophy to fit his personnel. Not all coaches do that. And while it took Pep a while, he finally realized what he had. And now we are all enjoying the team's success.

Charles Barkley famously said.. "There is no such thing as a good loss." I disagree. I think the Eagles game changed everything for Pep and our offense. This was a game that we should have won. But it was thrown away because Pep and Chuck coached scared, instead of coaching to our strength.

I would have loved to have been the old "fly on the wall" during the Tuesday morning meeting after that loss. That is when this team changed. Our entire offensive philosophy became radically different after that game. And it has been great. Interestingly, Luck has passed for 300 or more yards in EVERY GAME since then. 3 times we have scored 40 or more points. This offense has not looked back since.

That Eagles loss could one day be considered the best thing that ever happened for Pep's career, Luck's career, and our beloved Indianapolis Colts.

How did pagano and pep coach "scared" in the eagles game?

My point of view on this hypothetical departure is this: Why would it be safe to assume the Pep wants to leave Luck & the INDY organization? They've got chemistry & Irsay would gladly pay Pep a little extra to say put. 

Yeah I know, I said that Bruce Arians should remain with the Colts vs take the job in AZ to compete for Championships so what the hades do I know right? LOL! 

I just don't see a better offer for Pep unless he wins a ring under the Luck regime to increase his HC stock & potential job opportunities. Some OC's like being the big fish in a small pond just fine. He's not leaving.

You hit the nail in the head with that one!

Gus Bradley would like to see you in his office. And there's a message for you from Bruce Arians.

Eric Mangini, Josh McDaniels, Mike Mularkey, etc., etc., etc., have all taken advantage of the opportunity to become head coaches, leaving good teams and good situations to do so. Not to mention the extra money. It always cracks me up when people think that an assistant coach isn't going to consider opportunities for advancement just because he's in a good situation already. There are some coaches that aren't interested in the head job, but most of them have worked their butts off for decades, hoping for a shot one day.

Bruce proved he was a good head coach, that's Why they came calling

But I guess u right, but I don't see pep leaving