Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Future Safety Already Here?

Dark Superman

I'm really impressed with Dewey McDonald. He's been expressing big hit ability, as well as decent speed as a gunner. I was really rooting for him to make the roster, and now that he has, he has shown that he belongs here. If we fail to re-sign Brown or Adams, or even cut Landry. I would be all in for giving this kid a chance at the starting safety position next year.

I think either way we have to draft a safety in the 1st or 2nd. Sergio has played very well so I'd like to see him and our draft pick as our two safeties next year.

I don't see us drafting a safety in the first or second round...pass rusher is a much greater need. I think after that we need to draft another quality offensive lineman. I can see a corner going to us in the third round though.

I don't see us drafting a safety in the first or second round...pass rusher is a much greater need. I think after that we need to draft another quality offensive lineman. I can see a corner going to us in the third round though.

I was thinking OLB in the 1st then Safety in the 2nd. As far as the O Line goes, I wouldn't think we'd draft another guard early. Maybe a T to replace Cherilus in the future.

Don't forget we have Delano Howell who beat everyone for the spot in the offseason

He's done in my opinion.... I don't see him coming back and contributing after 2 straight years on IR.

Maybe special teams at best. But who knows. He may suprise people.

I was thinking OLB in the 1st then Safety in the 2nd. As far as the O Line goes, I wouldn't think we'd draft another guard early. Maybe a T to replace Cherilus in the future.

An OLB in a 3–4 defense is a pass rusher (Mathis). I like Werner's progress but we need an elite pass rusher opposite Mathis assuming he's even able to return to form next year. Good safeties can be found as far as the fifth-round. I took a look over at Walterfootball and there are several good ones this draft . When I said offense of lineman I meant tackle as well...

couldn't we already have future starters

FS = Purifoy

SS = Mcdonald

OLB'S = Newsome and Werner

That way we can focus on the draft for:

DB : Seen what happens when we don't have Davis

RG: Not impressed with thorton

RT:  Cherilus seems too slow and his contract isn't the best

I think the jury is still out with Newsome and Purifoy. Werner doesn't dominate the way Mathis has. That's the kind of pass rusher we need... Someone that instills fear in the offense of the opposing team or forces a double-team. To me that is a first or second round talent in most cases not named Mathis.

I think the jury is still out with Newsome and Purifoy. Werner doesn't dominate the way Mathis has. That's the kind of pass rusher we need... Someone that instills fear in the offense of the opposing team or forces a double-team. To me that is a first or second round talent in most cases not named Mathis.

Draft position mean little. And any one can play better than their draft position. All the defensive experts say it takes time to develop a great 3-4 OLB. Werner is progressing and New some is just playing lights out for a rookie. Im not saying not to look for improvements but don't get hung up on when the draftee is drafted. I think we are in good position to go best player available this year, hopefully OL.

I don't think we go for another pass rusher in the first round... I think we look at Defensive Tackle or maaaaaaybe CB.  Or I wouldn't be surprised if we went RT... Unless they think Nixon is the RT of the future.

I think with Werner developing well and Newsome coming out of nowhere, plus Mathis having at least another year or two in the tank, we are set at pass rusher for now.  Plus we do still have Walden and Studebaker who have both been playing well this season. 

I say DT because Redding is getting up there and probably doesnt have much left.  Art Jones hasn't been able to stay on the field this year either... I think the D-line is going to need a stud to replace Redding tho sooner rather than later. 

I say Corner back in the first round because as we saw, when Davis goes down the D is done.  So we will need a solid cover guy that can come in to spell Davis if needed and eventually replace either him or Toler.

I would say safety is less of a need now given how Brown and Adams have been playing.  But I wouldn't mind picking one up in the 3rd or later rounds.

Just my thoughts.

We definitely need to draft or pick up a FA safety next year. We need depth 

Sergio has been great, and he's earned his spot. 

I'm a huge Adams fan, but who knows when he'll start losing a step since he's 33. 

Landry isn't the answer, and I would be totally fine cutting him at the end of the year. 

I was a Howell fan, but he gets hurt way too much. 

Purifoy is a CB. I wouldn't mind seeing what he can do at safety, but we need quality depth at CB. (see Steelers game) 

McDonald looks like he can hit pretty well, but what can he do in coverage? Not sure what we have in him yet. 

Do we even need another OLB with Newsome? I think we can all agree he has a lot of potential and he already has 3 sacks this season

My thoughts exactly. He's looking better than Werner did his rookie year. With another off-season and year in our weight program, Newsome could be a real steal soon. If he gets more snaps and finishes the season with around 5 or so sacks, he could start next year. Remember that his first year he was at Ohio State and played all 13 games, with a few starts. This is a guy that probably got drafted low because he went to a small school. He's probably really a 2nd round quality talent. Not sure we need to invest high in a pass rusher with him and Werner

Safety, CB, and ILB with coverage abilities are the top priorities.

I'm tired of patching holes on NEED positions.  Saftey is a need, more than our pass rush or O Line at this point.  Mathis will be back and Werner, Walden, and Newsome will be even more experienced, so I think we should wait til Mathis leaves to add anybody else.  The offensive line is questionable to me but I think Harrison is our guy of the future at C.  Castonzo is solid.  Mewhort will be a little better, but I am still optimistic on Thornton and Cherilus.  Thornton is still young and can get better, but I'm overly impressed by him thus far.  Cherilus isn't terrible, but for the money, we can do better.  I think we definitely need to drop D. Thomas though.  Unless Reggie and Nicks leaves I don't see a need for WR.  I think Nicks/Moncrief can fill that role, but Nicks hasn't really been involved too much.  I think we can all agree were good on QB's RB's TE's CB's and our front 4 on Defense. 

That brings us back to safety...  If you really think we should drop Landry and take a shot in the dark with Dewey or Purifoy, then you're crazy!  Sergio has done his job well, but hasn't overly impressed me.  I wouldn't mind if we stuck with Sergio but it would be better to bring in somebody else (if they ditch Landry) to compete, so we still have great depth.

TBH I would just like to see Landry get back to his old form, so we don't have that need!

I'm tired of patching holes on NEED positions.  Saftey is a need, more than our pass rush or O Line at this point.  Mathis will be back and Werner, Walden, and Newsome will be even more experienced, so I think we should wait til Mathis leaves to add anybody else.  The offensive line is questionable to me but I think Harrison is our guy of the future at C.  Castonzo is solid.  Mewhort will be a little better, but I am still optimistic on Thornton and Cherilus.  Thornton is still young and can get better, but I'm overly impressed by him thus far.  Cherilus isn't terrible, but for the money, we can do better.  I think we definitely need to drop D. Thomas though.  Unless Reggie and Nicks leaves I don't see a need for WR.  I think Nicks/Moncrief can fill that role, but Nicks hasn't really been involved too much.  I think we can all agree were good on QB's RB's TE's CB's and our front 4 on Defense. 

That brings us back to safety...  If you really think we should drop Landry and take a shot in the dark with Dewey or Purifoy, then you're crazy!  Sergio has done his job well, but hasn't overly impressed me.  I wouldn't mind if we stuck with Sergio but it would be better to bring in somebody else (if they ditch Landry) to compete, so we still have great depth.

TBH I would just like to see Landry get back to his old form, so we don't have that need!

To the bolded, no. I don't agree with the premise in it's entirety. I think we need some young corners, as Darius Butler is a free agent after this year, and Greg Toler is a free agent after 2015. I think we need as many pass rushers as our roster can handle. And even at RB, I think we need some different talent in the backfield.

Now, to the actual topic, I definitely think we need a new safety. Maybe two. It's one of our biggest needs, IMO, and one point of criticism I have with the staff is that many of our biggest needs, especially on defense, seem to still be our biggest weak spots. Maybe some of the young guys develop, but I don't think we should be counting on guys like McDonald and Purifoy and Muamba to be starters or big time contributors moving forward. If those guys get shots and perform well, then great, but I'd like to bring in some blue-chip defensive prospects, particularly at those positions.

Gruden made a comment during the Monday night game that we have ONE drafted defensive starter right now, and that's Werner. He wouldn't be a starter if not for Mathis' being out, and this staff didn't draft Mathis, so he really wouldn't count. Now, no one knows better than me that this defense -- and the entire roster, really -- has been overhauled in the past three years. But we have a TON of drafted starters on offense, but only one on defense. We need to change that, especially with our cap situation getting ready to change. 

To the bolded, no. I don't agree with the premise in it's entirety. I think we need some young corners, as Darius Butler is a free agent after this year, and Greg Toler is a free agent after 2015. I think we need as many pass rushers as our roster can handle. And even at RB, I think we need some different talent in the backfield.

Now, to the actual topic, I definitely think we need a new safety. Maybe two. It's one of our biggest needs, IMO, and one point of criticism I have with the staff is that many of our biggest needs, especially on defense, seem to still be our biggest weak spots. Maybe some of the young guys develop, but I don't think we should be counting on guys like McDonald and Purifoy and Muamba to be starters or big time contributors moving forward. If those guys get shots and perform well, then great, but I'd like to bring in some blue-chip defensive prospects, particularly at those positions.

Gruden made a comment during the Monday night game that we have ONE drafted defensive starter right now, and that's Werner. He wouldn't be a starter if not for Mathis' being out, and this staff didn't draft Mathis, so he really wouldn't count. Now, no one knows better than me that this defense -- and the entire roster, really -- has been overhauled in the past three years. But we have a TON of drafted starters on offense, but only one on defense. We need to change that, especially with our cap situation getting ready to change. 

I was assuming we would resign Toler and Butler (which I shouldn't).  Sacks have really went down for all teams this season, Indy is actually to just fine in that category, but at times I do see no sense of urgency during some games to pressure the opposing QB.  I think Newsome will continue to blossom as it took Werner to time to mature.  Mathis will more than likely be gone after next season, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to draft a good pass rusher, but then again it takes time for them to get up to speed (same boat we are in now).  FA are usually real expensive if you're looking to steal a good pass rusher, and I don't think we should spend big money on that with our cap situation ahead in the next couple years. 

Only time will tell where our biggest need is...  The middle of the season isn't the best time to think about who we need in the draft or FA.  Who knows Landry could come back and play well (not banking on it but still a possibility) and Newsome and Werner started to make their presence felt recently.  We should have a better idea of where they are at the end of the season.

I was assuming we would resign Toler and Butler (which I shouldn't).  Sacks have really went down for all teams this season, Indy is actually to just fine in that category, but at times I do see no sense of urgency during some games to pressure the opposing QB.  I think Newsome will continue to blossom as it took Werner to time to mature.  Mathis will more than likely be gone after next season, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to draft a good pass rusher, but then again it takes time for them to get up to speed (same boat we are in now).  FA are usually real expensive if you're looking to steal a good pass rusher, and I don't think we should spend big money on that with our cap situation ahead in the next couple years. 

Only time will tell where our biggest need is...  The middle of the season isn't the best time to think about who we need in the draft or FA.  Who knows Landry could come back and play well (not banking on it but still a possibility) and Newsome and Werner started to make their presence felt recently.  We should have a better idea of where they are at the end of the season.

Mathis is under contract through 2016 now, so I assume he'll be here for at least two more years. Just a point of clarification. 

As for the pass rush, just because sacks are down across the board (and I'm not sure I accept that without seeing some numbers, but it's not that important) doesn't mean our pass rush is okay. Also, pass rush is about more than just sacks. And our pass rush is lacking often, and generally inconsistent. It needs to improve, and we need to have young guys who will pick up the slack. I'm as big a fan of Newsome as there is, I think, but again, we need as many pass rushers as we can reasonably carry on our roster.

Also, I've given up on Landry. He isn't as bad as others make him out to be, IMO, but he hasn't been a playmaker for us, nor has he built up any goodwill. If that changes over the next three months, then great, but I'm not holding my breath. Even if he does play better, where is his replacement? Not on our roster, if we're being objective. I think we agree that safety is a big need for us.

Something else, I don't think your needs list is necessarily the way you set up your draft board. I'm a firm believer in BPA at critical positions (so scratch QB, scratch RB in the first two rounds for the most part, no urgency at TE, but I'd take a really good guy if the value was there, probably scratch interior OL in the first two rounds... and everything else is pretty much on the board). You add talent in the draft, and let the roster mechanics sort themselves out later on. If you have critical needs, use free agency wisely and prudently. Long story short, whatever our biggest need is -- safety, pass rusher, ILB, whatever -- that doesn't dictate how we draft. You still draft BPA at critical positions. I think Grigson reinforced that strategy when he drafted Mewhort and Moncrief with his first two picks, despite us having bigger needs on defense. I expect him to stick to that strategy.

Josh Chapman?

Josh Chapman?

Yup. So, two starters. 

Gruden's comment was actually about the defensive players that were on the field at the point he was making that comment. Chapman wasn't out there. Kind of faked me out.

The point still stands, though. We don't have a lot of drafted defensive players, and I've been beating that drum since last season.

I'm really impressed with Dewey McDonald. He's been expressing big hit ability, as well as decent speed as a gunner. I was really rooting for him to make the roster, and now that he has, he has shown that he belongs here. If we fail to re-sign Brown or Adams, or even cut Landry. I would be all in for giving this kid a chance at the starting safety position next year.

Thanks. Griggs will make a note of this blessing.

Mathis is under contract through 2016 now, so I assume he'll be here for at least two more years. Just a point of clarification. 

As for the pass rush, just because sacks are down across the board (and I'm not sure I accept that without seeing some numbers, but it's not that important) doesn't mean our pass rush is okay. Also, pass rush is about more than just sacks. And our pass rush is lacking often, and generally inconsistent. It needs to improve, and we need to have young guys who will pick up the slack. I'm as big a fan of Newsome as there is, I think, but again, we need as many pass rushers as we can reasonably carry on our roster.

Also, I've given up on Landry. He isn't as bad as others make him out to be, IMO, but he hasn't been a playmaker for us, nor has he built up any goodwill. If that changes over the next three months, then great, but I'm not holding my breath. Even if he does play better, where is his replacement? Not on our roster, if we're being objective. I think we agree that safety is a big need for us.

Something else, I don't think your needs list is necessarily the way you set up your draft board. I'm a firm believer in BPA at critical positions (so scratch QB, scratch RB in the first two rounds for the most part, no urgency at TE, but I'd take a really good guy if the value was there, probably scratch interior OL in the first two rounds... and everything else is pretty much on the board). You add talent in the draft, and let the roster mechanics sort themselves out later on. If you have critical needs, use free agency wisely and prudently. Long story short, whatever our biggest need is -- safety, pass rusher, ILB, whatever -- that doesn't dictate how we draft. You still draft BPA at critical positions. I think Grigson reinforced that strategy when he drafted Mewhort and Moncrief with his first two picks, despite us having bigger needs on defense. I expect him to stick to that strategy.

I don't know any numbers on sack avg around the league, but I did see one headline I think 2-3 weeks ago, explaining Mathis' absence has hurt them but not as much as what everybody thought.  It further stated, sacks were down throughout the league but the Colts remained near the top.  That being said, yes pass rush is way more than just sacking the QB, and I do agree our pass rush is very inconsistent ie against the Steelers, they were nowhere to be found.  When we go against great QB's the time in the pocket they receive is much more important, because as good as our CB's are Brady will still pick us apart if he has 7+ seconds in the pocket.

I also agree with drafting the best player available but, if they wont get any playing time I feel it's pointless.  Take for example Nicks (If he was everything people talked about) Moncrief wouldn't get very many snaps at all, unless an injury occured.  At the point in time we also had Rogers and Brazil (which I think will have an impact on any team when they get the opportunity).  Also with TE's and RB's, even if we used a 1st rounder on one they're not going to be very effective, because we have young talent in those positions already. 

Either way I like what the coaching staff and front office has done to build this team over the last 3 seasons and I trust that they know what they're doing.  I would have to say pending this offseason and barring any unforseen tragic injuries, I think the Colts have to be the favorite to win the SB next season if we can fill the current needs (which are minor).

We had no bigger need than an O-Lineman and WR was close behind with Reggie dropping off and Nicks being a one year tryout that is looking quite iffy at this point.

Landry hasn`t played that well since he has been here. He can`t cover and makes mental mistakes.

Isn`t it kinda Crazy to call developing your young players to become future starters a bad plan?

Sergio looks like he is a better defender as a single deep safety. A big need for this D.

I don't know any numbers on sack avg around the league, but I did see one headline I think 2-3 weeks ago, explaining Mathis' absence has hurt them but not as much as what everybody thought.  It further stated, sacks were down throughout the league but the Colts remained near the top.  That being said, yes pass rush is way more than just sacking the QB, and I do agree our pass rush is very inconsistent ie against the Steelers, they were nowhere to be found.  When we go against great QB's the time in the pocket they receive is much more important, because as good as our CB's are Brady will still pick us apart if he has 7+ seconds in the pocket.

I also agree with drafting the best player available but, if they wont get any playing time I feel it's pointless.  Take for example Nicks (If he was everything people talked about) Moncrief wouldn't get very many snaps at all, unless an injury occured.  At the point in time we also had Rogers and Brazil (which I think will have an impact on any team when they get the opportunity).  Also with TE's and RB's, even if we used a 1st rounder on one they're not going to be very effective, because we have young talent in those positions already. 

Either way I like what the coaching staff and front office has done to build this team over the last 3 seasons and I trust that they know what they're doing.  I would have to say pending this offseason and barring any unforseen tragic injuries, I think the Colts have to be the favorite to win the SB next season if we can fill the current needs (which are minor).

Even if Nicks was outstanding this year, and Moncrief got no reps, that wouldn't be a wasted pick. A team's needs aren't limited to one season. And especially at WR, where one of our starters is an aging vet, and another is a one-year stopgap, young talent was crucial at that position. Guys like Brazill and Rogers were wildcards, and we see how those situations played out for us. It's a very good thing we drafted Moncrief, and we saw against the Steelers how quickly you can get to a position where you need your 4th receiver to come off the bench and make an impact. 

TEs and RBs, yeah, no need to draft one of them in the first couple of rounds. After that, I think it's fair game. 

But overall, I hope we bring in some young players with game-wrecking potential this year. Newsome is a really good add, but we need more of those guys, not only to fill our soft spots, but more importantly, to maintain the roster (and hopefully improve it) in future seasons.

And yes, I agree, the Colts will be considered a force moving forward, assuming we continue to make good decisions in the offseason.

Landry hasn`t played that well since he has been here. He can`t cover and makes mental mistakes.

Isn`t it kinda Crazy to call developing your young players to become future starters a bad plan?

Sergio looks like he is a better defender as a single deep safety. A big need for this D.

I will give LaRon one more opportunity to win me over, because his first 3 games last year were great, then he was playing the rest of the season with a nagging injury.  I was impressed with what Sergio was able to do in the absence of Landry.

Even if Nicks was outstanding this year, and Moncrief got no reps, that wouldn't be a wasted pick. A team's needs aren't limited to one season. And especially at WR, where one of our starters is an aging vet, and another is a one-year stopgap, young talent was crucial at that position. Guys like Brazill and Rogers were wildcards, and we see how those situations played out for us. It's a very good thing we drafted Moncrief, and we saw against the Steelers how quickly you can get to a position where you need your 4th receiver to come off the bench and make an impact. 

TEs and RBs, yeah, no need to draft one of them in the first couple of rounds. After that, I think it's fair game. 

But overall, I hope we bring in some young players with game-wrecking potential this year. Newsome is a really good add, but we need more of those guys, not only to fill our soft spots, but more importantly, to maintain the roster (and hopefully improve it) in future seasons.

And yes, I agree, the Colts will be considered a force moving forward, assuming we continue to make good decisions in the offseason.

Not a wasted pick but we could've used that pick in another way.  Think if we traded that pick and a late rounder for a 1st rd pick this year.  Yes Moncrief was huge in the game vs the Steelers, but we still lost and other than that he's only made a small appearance in other games.  I think if we didn't have so many WR's Brazil or Rogers (who already had character issues), wouldnt have been dropped like they did if we needed the extra guys.  IMO Rogers would do just fine in Moncrief's role this year.  Looking ahead it is a good idea to take a franchise wideout and get him up to speed before it is a desperate need, but then again we are ready and (maybe) only a player or two away from a SB as it stands now.

Anyone else think we need an ILB? I feel a good one can make such a huge difference on defense. I remember mosely having a really good game against us. He broke up some screen plays and stopped the run really well.

It is. You'll hear me pound the table for this until the draft is over, but an ILB with coverage abilities is a huge need. As is, there is no LB on the Colts roster that can cover TE's. Not to mention I think Freeman's contract is up at the end of this season. It doesn't even have to be someone who is an immediate starter, but at least a guy who you can bring in on passing downs, especially when teams are running 2 TE sets.

But no one is going to convince me that Safety isn't the biggest need. I'll be shocked if the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd round pick isn't a safety.

It is. You'll hear me pound the table for this until the draft is over, but an ILB with coverage abilities is a huge need. As is, there is no LB on the Colts roster that can cover TE's. Not to mention I think Freeman's contract is up at the end of this season. It doesn't even have to be someone who is an immediate starter, but at least a guy who you can bring in on passing downs, especially when teams are running 2 TE sets.

But no one is going to convince me that Safety isn't the biggest need. I'll be shocked if the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd round pick isn't a safety.

I definitely think we load up on defense come draft day. S,OLB,DE,ILB. I'll be happy with anyone of those coming within the first three rounds.

He's doing a good job on special teams, but I haven't seen him do anything in coverage. So I have no idea whether he can be a player for us.

Very true.

I think with a full year under his belt, as well as a full off- season with us by next years pre-season we will have a much better grasp on where he's at.