Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Future Safety Already Here?

Dark Superman

Do we even need another OLB with Newsome? I think we can all agree he has a lot of potential and he already has 3 sacks this season

I think the jury is still out with Newsome and Purifoy. Werner doesn't dominate the way Mathis has. That's the kind of pass rusher we need... Someone that instills fear in the offense of the opposing team or forces a double-team. To me that is a first or second round talent in most cases not named Mathis.

I agree with BB on this one. Newsome has looked great in limited play, but we need someone that is going to get pressure every single play. The thing about Mathis is that teams have to double and chip him just to slow him down. That opens up many more opportunities for who ever is across from him. I'm not saying that Newsome cannot become that, but right now, I think we should get as many pass rushers as possible. Injuries will happen. I think a good team needs at minimum 3 good pass rushers.

Anyone else think we need an ILB? I feel a good one can make such a huge difference on defense. I remember mosely having a really good game against us. He broke up some screen plays and stopped the run really well.

I don't think it's a priority but I would want us to go BPA with a lean towards defense so if one falls there I'd take him.  It will be a future need anyways as D. Jackson is on the wrong side of 30 and while he's an improvement over what we've had, I don't anticipate him playing out that 4 year contract.  

I totally forgot all about Howell.

He won't be back. Neck Injuries are nothing to play around with. I'm amazed that Ahmad Bradshaw came back, but you saw what happened to David Wilson. With how quiet the organization has been, I get the feeling that there isn't much hope for him.

You have safety with a bad neck, one who flexes better than he tackles, one whose 34, and another whose decent....Doesn't look good.

He won't be back. Neck Injuries are nothing to play around with. I'm amazed that Ahmad Bradshaw came back, but you saw what happened to David Wilson. With how quiet the organization has been, I get the feeling that there isn't much hope for him.

You have safety with a bad neck, one who flexes better than he tackles, one whose 34, and another whose decent....Doesn't look good.

I think that is a bunch of speculation that you have absolutely no clue about.  

I think either way we have to draft a safety in the 1st or 2nd. Sergio has played very well so I'd like to see him and our draft pick as our two safeties next year.

I think Sergio has played a bit above what i thought he would play.  Although Rick Venturi says that he is just an average safety and not above average at all.  He would know more than I but if you compare Landry to Sergio, Sergio can play tighter deeper coverage semi-well.

I think that is a bunch of speculation that you have absolutely no clue about.  

Just an inference I drew. Howell has been injured since November of last year. It's now been almost 1 year since he's been on IR. That doesn't look good. Also the coaching staff hasn't really been saying anything about his progress, and haven't given a time table on his return.

All that leads me to believe is that there's a chance he might not be back. Neck injuries when it comes to athletes are usually career killers. Granted we don't know the depths of Howell's, but based on history it doesn't look good.

Just an inference I drew. Howell has been injured since November of last year. It's now been almost 1 year since he's been on IR. That doesn't look good. Also the coaching staff hasn't really been saying anything about his progress, and haven't given a time table on his return.

All that leads me to believe is that there's a chance he might not be back. Neck injuries when it comes to athletes are usually career killers. Granted we don't know the depths of Howell's, but based on history it doesn't look good.

More nonsense.  He was hurt in training camp this year so his current injury has nothing to do with last year's.  Plus, at the time, the dialog around Howell was that his injury is not career-ending.

You also keep mentioning what the staff is not saying about his progress - what player on IR are they talking about?  I have not hear Pagano say anything about Ballard, Thomas or anyone.  And the only thing he would say now is that they are working hard on rehab, which means nothing for the 2015 season.

The bottom line is that there has been no determination on Howell.

More nonsense.  He was hurt in training camp this year so his current injury has nothing to do with last year's.  Plus, at the time, the dialog around Howell was that his injury is not career-ending.

You also keep mentioning what the staff is not saying about his progress - what player on IR are they talking about?  I have not hear Pagano say anything about Ballard, Thomas or anyone.  And the only thing he would say now is that they are working hard on rehab, which means nothing for the 2015 season.

The bottom line is that there has been no determination on Howell.

Well they announced Ballard was done for the season, and same with Thomas. But you're right. They didn't say career ending for Howell, but they haven't said anything. Last year with Thomas they would talk about how his biceps was and why it was so tough to come back from. Or with Werner, when he messed up his foot. They talked about when he would be available. Even when they put Reggie on IR they would give small updates every now and then about him coming along, and that was an ACL

With Howell there has been absolutely no news or updates about him whatsoever despite them saying In the offseason that he was supposed to be the starter.

Well they announced Ballard was done for the season, and same with Thomas. But you're right. They didn't say career ending for Howell, but they haven't said anything. Last year with Thomas they would talk about how his biceps was and why it was so tough to come back from. Or with Werner, when he messed up his foot. They talked about when he would be available. Even when they put Reggie on IR they would give small updates every now and then about him coming along, and that was an ACL

With Howell there has been absolutely no news or updates about him whatsoever despite them saying In the offseason that he was supposed to be the starter.

For the love of God, they said IR for Howell too.

You should stop.

Thomas' biceps injury was not disclosed until after the season.  There were not regular updates about his quad in season.

Werner was not put on IR so an estimate on his return was natural conversation to have.  And Reggie is the freaking face of the franchise - of course there would be questions about his health and progress.  Is this that hard to understand?

You made an assertion with no possible way to understand its accuracy and the info offered to support your theory is faulty at best.

All we can do is hope that his surgery went well and that he's healing in the right direction.

I don't see us drafting a safety in the first or second round...pass rusher is a much greater need. I think after that we need to draft another quality offensive lineman. I can see a corner going to us in the third round though.

now you know what your talking bout. I feel the same way I think pass rusher, lineman, corner back... And then we add depth wit quality players

I would love to get a closer look at Dewey back there, but it may not be possible this year unless injuries occur.  He'd have to get past Landry and Sergio.  Not sure if that will happen though.  I am somewhat confident he'd do well if given a chance though.