Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mallett time? Update: Fitzpatrick benched (merge)

dw49

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There goes my Fantasy Football season for DeAndre Hopkins...at least he had good chemistry with Fitz...sigh

Well..in r/l..this might be what the Texans need...and we'll soon see if he learned anything from Belichek and Brady...He's a good kid and I hope he does well...He better hope Foster is back in week 11 from his injury...that will at least make it somewhat easier for him.

We literally did this exact same thing last year with Schaub and Keenum. 

How hard is it to fall backwards right into a franchise QB? You Indy and NE fans make it seem so easy.

Find a can't miss QB prospect....tank....draft said prospect. Easy peezy

I guess he tweeted something to that effect after Sunday's loss and then quickly removed it. I have no idea of what the Texans feelings are here. Either he is viewed as a back up type player or they have visions of R.F. morphing into something he's not. I guess the fact that Mallett was traded late in the preseason could be the real reason he hasn't played a down. Anyway , the next few days should be interesting regarding this. Seems like the buy week would be the right timing if this were to happen.

Yeah.. you were right on with this one DW. That's why I'm always looking to read your posts. Thanks again for the heads up.

Ryan vs Brian, the battle of former Brady Back-Ups. Should be a classic lol.

I already knew this all knowing one. :)  I am your number one and only fan.

Don't think I could call you a" number one fan " but I think the "only fan" part is right on.

window 

Not sure what to make of this move, Texans were 4-5 with Fitz ...Not good enough of course....But through 9 games with Fitz they hung around and they even gave us a run in the first game, Not really sure Fitz did anything to be demoted...But at the same time its not like he was throwing the ball downfield pushing the offense, I might have kept him in till the Texans were mathematically eliminated...But the Texans do need a spark at the position

Not sure what to make of this move, Texans were 4-5 with Fitz ...Not good enough of course....But through 9 games with Fitz they hung around and they even gave us a run in the first game, Not really sure Fitz did anything to be demoted...But at the same time its not like he was throwing the ball downfield pushing the offense, I might have kept him in till the Texans were mathematically eliminated...But the Texans do need a spark at the position

I think it's more looking toward the future move the Texans need to know if Mallet is the future or not if he wins games great if he blows it it's a high draft pick and good chance to grab a franchise QB .

There goes my Fantasy Football season for DeAndre Hopkins...at least he had good chemistry with Fitz...sigh

Well..in r/l..this might be what the Texans need...and we'll soon see if he learned anything from Belichek and Brady...He's a good kid and I hope he does well...He better hope Foster is back in week 11 from his injury...that will at least make it somewhat easier for him.

serves you right for picking any houston player that isnt foster or watt.......................... haha

You guys could have drafted Bortles, or Carr, or Manziel...

For some strange reason, I'm excited to see Mallett. I think I'm just an optimist whenever a new QB hits the scene. But Mallett could be something.

Realistically though I think only Carr was an option, at the top of the second. I wanted Johnny first (even the day of the Draft) but none of these guys were lauded as surefire franchise QBs, there was a lot of risk in taking any of them and passing on J.D. I'm with you on the quarterback thing. It is always fun to see a new guy get a chance, especially in Mallett's case. Like another poster mentioned, this could be the first legitimate AFC South quarterback rivalry. I can't wait to find out.

I like Mallet's height, size, & arm. I don't think he can run well on the move though. I'm glad Coach O'Brien is making this QB change for 2 reasons: 1. It really aggravates me that the wrong team in Texas is winning & 2. JJ Watt is working his tail off, give him a QB that can actually put up about 24 points consistently & make the AFC South a 2 horse race again. Watt has no shot at a ring if you give him a here we go again below average QB. 

For those who don't know, JJ went to my alma mater UW-Madison & if you give him a QB who can move the ball downfield, JJ has a shot at Championship Greatness. Yes, the Colts are my favorite team, but Watt's a Bucky Badger Camp Randall Brother & that will always mean a great deal to me. Give him a fighting chance at future post season runs. Besides, a worthy division opponent toughens us up for the playoffs anyway.  

After Fitzpatrick, the Texans can't regress any further. Your franchise is due for a break anyway. Rival or not, I want Houston competitive. I sincerely mean that too. 

That's the only problem I had. To me it seemed like the passing game was an afterthought. So I agree, he didn't do anything to get demoted, just didn't do enough, imo, to keep his job. Had the you guys lost to the Giants, I'd bet we would be using this time to "fix" what ever Fitzpatrick's issues are, but as it stands, looks like we'll have to finish at least 5-2 or better, to even have a chance. 

Our margin of error got way to slim to be going out there with half an offense. Hopefully we'll see a real NFL offense & make it an exciting race to the finish. 

You guys could have drafted Bortles, or Carr, or Manziel...

Too many first rounders for me to pass on to take one of those guys. Only Carr was there in the second & to tell you the truth, he's playing better than I expected him to, with what he's got to work with. That may very well have been a mistake not to take him at the top of the 2nd. But we'll see. 

If they were trying to bring Mallet in back then though... & I think they were, I'd have chosen Mallet over Carr any day. 

Too many first rounders for me to pass on to take one of those guys. Only Carr was there in the second & to tell you the truth, he's playing better than I expected him to, with what he's got to work with. That may very well have been a mistake not to take him at the top of the 2nd. But we'll see. 

If they were trying to bring Mallet in back then though... & I think they were, I'd have chosen Mallet over Carr any day. 

You guys had the first pick. You took Clowney. I think he'll be good, but he hasn't performed yet. And if you thought any of those guys were going to be starting level QBs for a while, then that would be a more impactful pick for your franchise than Clowney. And you could have traded down and still got Manziel and maybe Barr. We'll see how Clowney works out, though.

As for Mallett, we'll see how it goes, but I don't know why anyone would have been higher on him than on Carr coming in to the season.

I agree the timing is right to make the change. And the Texans are an excellent team that isjust short a QB. If they find a QB...watch out.

Yep.  Defense is dead last in the NFL in total yards allowed, special teams are rated the 6th worst in the NFL by football outsiders, and an offensive line rated near the bottom 1/3rd of the league by football outsiders.  Those are all hallmarks of an "excellent" team.....lol

Yep.  Defense is dead last in the NFL in total yards allowed, special teams are rated the 6th worst in the NFL by football outsiders, and an offensive line rated near the bottom 1/3rd of the league by football outsiders.  Those are all hallmarks of an "excellent" team.....lol

And guess who is one spot ahead of us, ranked at 31st? LOL.

You clearly have no idea how football works, and that has been apparent for quite some time now. It's funny to read your posts whenever you pop up to make some disparaging comment whenever something positive about the Texans is even hinted at.

And guess who is one spot ahead of us, ranked at 31st? LOL.

You clearly have no idea how football works, and that has been apparent for quite some time now. It's funny to read your posts whenever you pop up to make some disparaging comment whenever something positive about the Texans is even hinted at.

jacksonville ?

also you guys might want to go by yards per game ?

jacksonville ?

also you guys might want to go by yards per game ?

Wait, my mistake, I must have been looking at pass defense, not defense ranked overall. Still, my point stands, as the Colts are only 4 spots ahead of us in total defense. The guy has no idea how football works lol, he just grabs stats and throws them out there to fit his agenda.

You guys had the first pick. You took Clowney. I think he'll be good, but he hasn't performed yet. And if you thought any of those guys were going to be starting level QBs for a while, then that would be a more impactful pick for your franchise than Clowney. And you could have traded down and still got Manziel and maybe Barr. We'll see how Clowney works out, though.

As for Mallett, we'll see how it goes, but I don't know why anyone would have been higher on him than on Carr coming in to the season.

I think the rest of the league agrees with you on the Mallett - Carr "rankings." One guy taken at the top of round two while the other brought a 7th rounder that only turne into a 6th if he pretty much takes all the season's remaining snaps. The # I read was 40%. Yes you do have a salary issue as Mallett will be expensive if he lights it up and you get 4 years of a very cheap Carr. But the difference between a 7th and high 2nd is like comparing Porky Pig to Kate Upton,

As far as coming out of that draft with no QB other than a long shot in Savage... I don't agree. To me this team's best window is now. Too many big contracts written to mess around like their now doing. Where do they go if Mallett falls on his face ? IMO , today's NFL makes it a must to have a premier QB. Not saying it wasn't a really tough or probably close choice as Clowney was 1.1 talent wise. Can see why but just would have gone as you already described as an option.

Wait, my mistake, I must have been looking at pass defense, not defense ranked overall. Still, my point stands, as the Colts are only 4 spots ahead of us in total defense. The guy has no idea what he is talking about or how football works lol, he just grabs stats and throws them out there to fit his agenda.

Also as I pointed out some teams have played 8 games while the Colts and Texans have played 9. So you would look at the "yards per game " stat. I didn't do for Houston but that would put the Colts about in the middle (around 18 of 32) of the pack. 

Also as I pointed out some teams have played 8 games while the Colts and Texans have played 9. So you would look at the "yards per game " stat. I didn't do for Houston but that would put the Colts about in the middle (around 18 of 32) of the pack. 

Ahhh I see what you're saying now.