Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton Freezes Out Welker for Joke?

sweetsurrender

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/10/peyton-manning-age-500-touchdowns-joke-leather-helmets

This story is really interesting. Apparently Welker made a joke about Manning's age saying when he threw his first TD football players were wearing leather helmets. Pretty funny actually. Manning did not like it and said that he would freeze the receiver that made the comment and that people should not start him on their FF teams. Welker had one catch for 8 yards yesterday. He was also only targeted that one time.

Manning is only five years older than Wes. I swear this is the dumbest non story I've seen in a long time. Peyton wants to win a superbowl. Does anyone really think he go out of his way to take Wes out of the game over a joke Manning

I don't know Welker can get under your skin just ask Bill. I remember him taking a jab at Brady during a game when Brady scored on a TD by running it for it and the play was under review. Welker was saying he was too slow to get in and Brady swore at him. They caught it on video. Honestly though like I said yesterday, does Peyton even need Welker this year? I wouldn't throw to him either if I had the Thomas duo lighting it up the way they have this season.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/10/peyton-manning-age-500-touchdowns-joke-leather-helmets

This story is really interesting. Apparently Welker made a joke about Manning's age saying when he threw his first TD football players were wearing leather helmets. Pretty funny actually. Manning did not like it and said that he would freeze the receiver that made the comment and that people should not start him on their FF teams. Welker had one catch for 8 yards yesterday. He was also only targeted that one time.

It was Julius who said it. Not welker.

I don't know Welker can get under your skin just ask Bill. I remember him taking a jab at Brady during a game when Brady scored on a TD by running it for it and the play was under review. Welker was saying he was too slow to get in and Brady swore at him. They caught it on video. Honestly though like I said yesterday, does Peyton even need Welker this year? I wouldn't throw to him either if I had the Thomas duo lighting it up the way they have this season.

At some point he will. Wes is a great third down wr. I pguarantee those comments didn't bother peyton in the least. He has been known to take joking jabs at his teammates and even Eli in the media for years

At some point he will. Wes is a great third down wr. I pguarantee those comments didn't bother peyton in the least. He has been known to take joking jabs at his teammates and even Eli in the media for years

Yeah, not sure if it really meant anything. But I did look up Welker's targets since he has been in Denver. He has never been targeted less than 5 times in any game. Yesterday he was targeted once for an eight yard catch. Not sure if that means much as Demarius was having a field day. But still, just one target. He may have sent a message to Welker subtlety as who knows if Welker has been grating on him for some time now. He can be very immature at times and Manning won't put up with that.

I heard about that before the game.

I really doubt it for a couple reasons.

1. While Peyton may get back at guys in many ways, it wouldn't be like him to purposefully not throw to an open guy during a game.  I don't think any NFL QB would do that.  

2. Welker isn't that much younger then Peyton.  

Yeah, not sure if it really meant anything. But I did look up Welker's targets since he has been in Denver. He has never been targeted less than 5 times in any game. Yesterday he was targeted once for an eight yard catch. Not sure if that means much as Demarius was having a field day. But still, just one target. He may have sent a message to Welker subtlety as who knows if Welker has been grating on him for some time now. He can be very immature at times and Manning won't put up with that.

I doubt he would do that so much as calling him out in the locker room.

I think it's a product of the receivers he has available and the fact that Welker is likely slowing down due to age.  

Plus it seems like Sanders has turned out to be an improvement over Decker.  

Given what's available to him it's easy to see how Welker is sort of an afterthought.  

If Peyton was indeed sending a message, that is just as immature as what was said and a bit arrogant too, IMO. 

The Pats love getting caught on video  

Sorry, couldn't let that one slip. ;) 

If it were true that Welker was frozen out for a joke (which I do not believe for a second) what does that say about their offense that they can freeze out one of the best slot receivers in the game and still win by 14?

it says they played the Jets and had a pick six for 7 of those points . . .

Welker isn't among the best anymore.

If wes was still on a team that dont have receivers like the pats.. he would still be puttin up huge numbers.. to many weapons in denver for wes to shine.. and no im not the worlds biggest welker fan my name is wes lol

Manning is only five years older than Wes. I swear this is the dumbest non story I've seen in a long time. Peyton wants to win a superbowl. Does anyone really think he go out of his way to take Wes out of the game over a joke Manning

NO...its a silly report..

I think Emmauel Sanders only caught 3 passes..and he'd been among the league leaders

Give Rex Ryan credit for defensing both of them

Maybe Fitz froze out Hopkins against the colts? Similar stats

Hopkins is averaging 15 yards per catch lol. He did have a bad game Thursday. But, why throw at Hopkins when Johnson is getting seven catches for 100 yards...

Hopkins is averaging 15 yards per catch lol. He did have a bad game Thursday. But, why throw at Hopkins when Johnson is getting seven catches for 100 yards...

Pretty sure the same could be said for Julias, Demarius and Emmanual Sanders to a much larger degree