Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kelcy Quarles

NewEra

Doyle has made Fleener expendable?....What the hell? Doyle has 2 catches on the year and 12 yards, Coby has 4 for 34 yards. Now I think Fleener isn't our best TE of course but a TE of Jack Doyles caliber can be easily had at any time, Athletically there is not a lot of Coby Fleeners out there though there are some and even better

I wouldn't say expendable. But he sure doesn't play to his level. "If" it took him to get a above average pass rusher I'd pull the trigger

no

Doyle has made Havili/Harvey expendable not Fleener

Doyle is a better blocker and hands are just as good, Fleener is just faster. We don't run many 2 TE sets and Allen is the best TE on the roster. Losing Fleener wouldn't hurt the team and we would get a good player in return. The Chiefs, Patriots, and Bills all need TE's and have pass rushers.

his release could depend on what he brings to the team

Perhaps but then you get into having to find another player on the team to release(we are up to 53 active now) and if he does show something you could always trade him for a late rounder (5th-7th), Jones comes back then, ya plug him in (if healthy) and ya lose nothing and gained a draft pick

Doyle is a better blocker and hands are just as good, Fleener is just faster. We don't run many 2 TE sets and Allen is the best TE on the roster. Losing Fleener wouldn't hurt the team and we would get a good player in return. The Chiefs, Patriots, and Bills all need TE's and have pass rushers.

We would still need a 3rd TE

Perhaps but then you get into having to find another player on the team to release(we are up to 53 active now) and if he does show something you could always trade him for a late rounder (5th-7th), Jones comes back then, ya plug him in (if healthy) and ya lose nothing and gained a draft pick

I agree totally but if he comes in here as a world beater it would be very hard to cut him

Doyle has made Fleener expendable?....What the hell? Doyle has 2 catches on the year and 12 yards, Coby has 4 for 34 yards. Now I think Fleener isn't our best TE of course but a TE of Jack Doyles caliber can be easily had at any time, Athletically there is not a lot of Coby Fleeners out there though there are some and even better

We have 4 good WR's and a good TE in Allen, enough weapons on offense. Yes, Fleener is athletically better then Doyle but he's inconsistent and can't block. Trading Fleener would get us back a good player in return.

I wouldn't say expendable. But he sure doesn't play to his level. "If" it took him to get a above average pass rusher I'd pull the trigger

Meh we have so many weapons on the team if you focus on 1 then the other is going to lose out...personally Im a fan of exposing matchups(Neither Pep or Andrew do a real good job of exposing mismatches consistently), Personally I think Fleener is fine, At least let him finish his rookie contract, He isn't a must have player for the team to thrive at this point and cant block worth a nickel but using Jack Doyle as a means to say Fleener is expendable just isn't true right now from an athletic standpoint....Do I think Doyle could put up 30.7 yards per game receiving? (Fleeners career average at this point) yes but that just might be Doyles ceiling....Im not sure that's Fleeners....and willing to bet its not ......Do I sign him to a long term deal after his rookie contract is up? Absolutely not, I'd sign him for a 2 year deal.....no more then 3....I don't think he is worth the big money compared to other weapons we will have to re-sign (Hilton, Allen primarily)but Fleener has been productive....It took Dallas Clark 5 years to put up 600+ yards receiving, Also part of the decision going forward is...How much do we plan on featuring the TE's? So far its been 4.8 targets a game(To Fleener)...basically 5 out of Lucks 37.7 career average passes per game go to Fleener....That's not alot......3.9 have gone to Allen(A bit skewed do to the amount of time Allen has missed to injury)...so basically on average 9 passes of Lucks 38 (rounded up) passes per game go to our TE's

I agree totally but if he comes in here as a world beater it would be very hard to cut him

So send him to the PS if he clears waivers......Chances are 50/50 he will and probably better then that...Talent is there but he has to show it first every down

Meh we have so many weapons on the team if you focus on 1 then the other is going to lose out...personally Im a fan of exposing matchups(Neither Pep or Andrew do a real good job of exposing mismatches consistently), Personally I think Fleener is fine, At least let him finish his rookie contract, He isn't a must have player for the team to thrive at this point and cant block worth a nickel but using Jack Doyle as a means to say Fleener is expendable just isn't true right now from an athletic standpoint....Do I think Doyle could put up 30.7 yards per game receiving? (Fleeners career average at this point) yes but that just might be Doyles ceiling....Im not sure that's Fleeners....and willing to bet its not ......Do I sign him to a long term deal after his rookie contract is up? Absolutely not, I'd sign him for a 2 year deal.....no more then 3....I don't think he is worth the big money compared to other weapons we will have to re-sign (Hilton, Allen primarily)but Fleener has been productive....It took Dallas Clark 5 years to put up 600+ yards receiving, Also part of the decision going forward is...How much do we plan on featuring the TE's? So far its been 4.8 targets a game(To Fleener)...basically 5 out of Lucks 37.7 career average passes per game go to Fleener....That's not alot......3.9 have gone to Allen(A bit skewed do to the amount of time Allen has missed to injury)...so basically on average 9 passes of Lucks 38 (rounded up) passes per game go to our TE's

I think it's more of how our weapons are being used more than the weapons themselves. I agree with you though. I do like what I've seen from Doyke though. He has a little ken dilger in him.

Yep. One thing I can say is that Jack Doyle blocks like his life depends on it while Fleener's blocking does not have the same sense of urgency in it, from what I have watched. I am talking only run blocking.

But I agree, a team hurting for a TE like the Browns or even the Jets will be willing to part with an above average pass rusher and a 4th possibly.

Andrew Luck is the most overrated qb in NFL.Makes too many mistakes and bad throws. Also PAGANO and HAMILTON arent taking COLTS anywhere.Outcoached every time vs good opponents.Why have FLEENER,ALLEN and NICKS when your not gonna throw to them? The opey dopey LUCK interviews are getting old

Good 1st post on a Colts Forum.  :sarcasm:

Andrew Luck is the most overrated qb in NFL.Makes too many mistakes and bad throws. Also PAGANO and HAMILTON arent taking COLTS anywhere.Outcoached every time vs good opponents.Why have FLEENER,ALLEN and NICKS when your not gonna throw to them? The opey dopey LUCK interviews are getting old

Obvious troll is obvious.

They said 2-4 weeks on Holmes also. It's been 6. That's about what it is with a high ankle sprain, especially for a bigger guy.

High ankle sprain can be 4-6. Rotoworld is saying 2-4 weeks on Jones's injury. I would be surprised if Jones is not back more quickly than expected. He has never missed more than 2 games in a season.

I wouldn't have minded us grabbing Josh Muaro from the Steelers practice squad as well, He had a Kerr like preseason was all they could do to keep him off the 53 man.  He had a little better luck getting to the QB as well. Rid ourselves of the FB

Holmes on the other hand has managed to turn a 2-3 week injury into a what are we at week 6.    SURPIRSE

I would be surprised if he is ever able to stay on the field he has missed 20 out of 20 possible games. Going for 21 out of 21 vs  Jacksonville

We find a C we are ready for the O line to start  coming together. We still have which way did they go which way did they go game planning or whatever it is he does and calling plays but anyone watching closely.... Grig's has to be ready to end that.    

It is too bad because the O Line really seems like they are ready to take the next step just need and anchor in the middle maybe Shipley can get be that or Harrison will fill the role but we need a C that will be there each week.

Anybody have a problem with this Jon Jones younger brother of Arthur and current UFC Light heavyweight champs say AJ will be back quickly.  Jon was the youngest champ ever.

High ankle sprain can be 4-6. Rotoworld is saying 2-4 weeks on Jones's injury. I would be surprised if Jones is not back more quickly than expected. He has never missed more than 2 games in a season.

I wouldn't have minded us grabbing Josh Muaro from the Steelers practice squad as well, He had a Kerr like preseason was all they could do to keep him off the 53 man.  He had a little better luck getting to the QB as well. Rid ourselves of the FB

Holmes on the other hand has managed to turn a 2-3 week injury into a what are we at week 6.    SURPIRSE

I would be surprised if he is ever able to stay on the field he has missed 20 out of 20 possible games. Going for 21 out of 21 vs  Jacksonville

We find a C we are ready for the O line to start  coming together. We still have which way did they go which way did they go game planning or whatever it is he does and calling plays but anyone watching closely.... Grig's has to be ready to end that.    

It is too bad because the O Line really seems like they are ready to take the next step just need and anchor in the middle maybe Shipley can get be that or Harrison will fill the role but we need a C that will be there each week.

Anybody have a problem with this Jon Jones younger brother of Arthur and current UFC Light heavyweight champs say AJ will be back quickly.  Jon was the youngest champ ever.

A high ankle sprain is generally 4-6 weeks, like you said. So why is it anything to be concerned with that Holmes has missed 4-6 weeks? I know the staff said 2-4, but I said at the time that was ambitious, and expected him back in Week 3. Let's not make simple medical science a Khaled Holmes issue.

And I feel the same way about Jones. If he makes it back in less than the typical 4-6 weeks, then great for him. I'd rather he come back when he's ready to play, when the ankle is healed and he can do what does on the field. The Jones brothers are great at what they do, but Arthur Jones has to get his ankle right, and that's all there is to it. Jon's UFC belts won't help him.

Rookie.....that's a good screen name for you....

A high ankle sprain is generally 4-6 weeks, like you said. So why is it anything to be concerned with that Holmes has missed 4-6 weeks? I know the staff said 2-4, but I said at the time that was ambitious, and expected him back in Week 3. Let's not make simple medical science a Khaled Holmes issue.

And I feel the same way about Jones. If he makes it back in less than the typical 4-6 weeks, then great for him. I'd rather he come back when he's ready to play, when the ankle is healed and he can do what does on the field. The Jones brothers are great at what they do, but Arthur Jones has to get his ankle right, and that's all there is to it. Jon's UFC belts won't help him.

It just really looks like Holmes isn't the answer. 20 games possible 20 games missed that isn't so good.

I was just slipping in some of topic stuff about AJ's brother. That is cool youngest UFC champ.

My real question was what about Josh Mauro? Man he made some plays for the Steelers nearly made the 53 man and they drafted Truitt and had another draft pick in there. I didn't see much of Quarles outside of South Carolina to late to go back on the condensed pre season games, We shall see.

It just really looks like Holmes isn't the answer. 20 games possible 20 games missed that isn't so good.

I was just slipping in some of topic stuff about AJ's brother. That is cool youngest UFC champ.

My real question was what about Josh Mauro? Man he made some plays for the Steelers nearly made the 53 man and they drafted Truitt and had another draft pick in there. I didn't see much of Quarles outside of South Carolina to late to go back on the condensed pre season games, We shall see.

Quarles vs Mauro, I'd default to Quarles because of the body. Mauro is an undersized 3-4 lineman, he'd be our smallest linemen by about 25 pounds. I didn't watch Mauro in preseason, so I can't speak to that. If he really stood out, that might make up for his size.

You also have to consider that you have to sign guys off of the practice squad. We could have offered Mauro a deal, and he turned it down because he wanted to stay in Pittsburgh. Not saying that happened, just saying that it's not totally up to the team. Practice squad guys are basically free agents.

I don't know what to say about Holmes. Art Jones hasn't missed any time really, but when a guy rolls up your leg, you get hurt. I don't blame Holmes for that anymore than I blame Jones. It's a sprained ankle. Typical timeline is 4-6 weeks. Let's see what happens.

Quarles vs Mauro, I'd default to Quarles because of the body. Mauro is an undersized 3-4 lineman, he'd be our smallest linemen by about 25 pounds. I didn't watch Mauro in preseason, so I can't speak to that. If he really stood out, that might make up for his size.

You also have to consider that you have to sign guys off of the practice squad. We could have offered Mauro a deal, and he turned it down because he wanted to stay in Pittsburgh. Not saying that happened, just saying that it's not totally up to the team. Practice squad guys are basically free agents.

I don't know what to say about Holmes. Art Jones hasn't missed any time really, but when a guy rolls up your leg, you get hurt. I don't blame Holmes for that anymore than I blame Jones. It's a sprained ankle. Typical timeline is 4-6 weeks. Let's see what happens.

Friendly wager Jones will be back on the field in 4 games or less? He plays vs the Texans. He will tape it up spit on it and go.

I don't think there is much to say about Holmes. I see what Grig's saw in the guy he could be a monster if he could get healthy. Long arms massive hands he looked like a mauler the 7 snaps I saw.

He has now missed a possible 20 of 20 games. We may need to move on maybe he can be a 3 postilion back up. The O Line needs to be a cohesive unit more than any of the groups on the team. You can't be successful with a swinging door at C.

I really hope that Holmes plays this week and makes it the rest of the year and the problem is solved. I think the chances of that  happening are slim.

Grig's has got the O Line in place we just need a C to really get it rolling. If Holmes can't play he needs to move on. If that is the case  I really hope that Harrison can be the guy and we aren't starting at page one again next year.

It is a process and Grig's in my opinion is doing a good job collecting talent in a fiscally responsible manner. We have what 9 picks in this years draft so far 2 extra 6's and 7's? We are building.

I thought RJF and Walden both played well Monday night some of the fa's are getting going it's a young team going to get better but losing  Monday night might bite us in the butt. We did lose we didn't get beat.

Hard for me to get to excited about Quarles.  Each guy that Grigs brings in here who I think has potential he ends up cutting/waiving the player before I even get to find out if it was a good fit.

As far as the Fleener thing goes,  I'm interested to see how far Erik Swoope has developed by the end of the season(maybe even this season if there is an injury) going into training camp next year.  He could very well be the replacement for Fleener if his development goes anything like any of these other basketball to football tight ends.  He's got all the measurables to take over Fleeners role in the offense. A much higher ceiling than Jack Doyle to me. 

It says full participation this week so far maybe week 3 will be the week. If that kid can stay healthy I think by the end of the year we could have a pretty good line. Once they have played together but he has to stay on the field.

Can't take it anymore, how did he get 12 snaps last year if he missed all possible games?

I stand corrected and I am glad it was by Albert Bentley out of a possible 20 games he has played 12 snaps.

I am all for Holmes coming in and taking control of this thing. I have said it all preseason he is the key. If we get an anchor at C that is going to be there this O Line is ready to really start making some serious progress. I am pro Holmes but man 12 snaps in 20 games is not a good ratio.

He is a monster long arms huge hands can move but can he stay healthy? Judging by your good taste in RB's I would guess you have watched the Colts for some years. You know we can't have a swinging door at C.

The Line is ready we have good T's our G's are growing we just need the anchor in the middle to bring it all together. I want it to be Holmes I see what Grig's see's in the guy physically but he has to be able to play. Then it is looking like his recovery time is like sand through an hour glass.

I hope he starts Sunday vs the Jags and doesn't miss another game but if he goes down with another ankle injury I think we have to accept he can't be counted on to be the C for this team going forward. It just isn't a position you can change like socks and expect to build a good O Line.