Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My Quick View of the Game

Smonroe

Had good seats to see a bad team. I'm sure most of this was already covered, I didn't want to go through all the posts.

It seemed like the Saints had no fear of our passing game. I think they were daring us to pass.

Our defense was horrific, BUT I will say this, I don't think there was any attempt to gameplan blitzes. It looked extremely vanilla to me. I could be wrong, I need to watch it again. Their second team ate up our first.

Toler was good and bad. It looked like they targeted him. Vontae was so good I didn't notice him. D'Qwell was bad, real bad. Luck was off (duh). Kerr makes the team, he's for real.

I don't take a lot of stock in our 2s and 3s looking good, but Boom could step in if someone before him gets hurt, with little difference in quality.

Oh yeah, the Saints are very good. They give the Seahawks a run for the money this year.

Had good seats to see a bad team. I'm sure most of this was already covered, I didn't want to go through all the posts.

It seemed like the Saints had no fear of our passing game. I think they were daring us to pass.

Our defense was horrific, BUT I will say this, I don't think there was any attempt to gameplan blitzes. It looked extremely vanilla to me. I could be wrong, I need to watch it again. Their second team ate up our first.

Toler was good and bad. It looked like they targeted him. Vontae was so good I didn't notice him. D'Qwell was bad, real bad. Luck was off (duh). Kerr makes the team, he's for real.

I don't take a lot of stock in our 2s and 3s looking good, but Boom could step in if someone before him gets hurt, with little difference in quality.

Oh yeah, the Saints are very good. They give the Seahawks a run for the money this year.

Brees is always solid, had he stayed in longer, the score would have been worse. I was impressed with our UDFA's and noticed that 5 of them might make the team (Kerr, Harrison, Purifoy, Tipton, and Muamba). Realistically we came within a drive of winning the game, unfortunately it didn't work out. The first team was a bit off today (though I was going by stats and gametracker, so I didn't get to see certain things I could see live, like the O-Line. If some of those UDFA's make the team and Arthur Jones is ok (not sure how bad he was hurt watching on gametracker) then it's a win and we can see how the backups play in week 4. Hopefully some of the guys step up there and we have a complete and ready team for opening day.

Good thoughts. One thing I noticed being at the game tonight, how often the Colts seem to leave Davis on an island with little safety help.

The Saints really got a lot of mismatches in the passing game with WRs (and Jimmy Graham) against D'Qwell tonight. Can't imagine the coaching staff expects him to win those.

Brees is always solid, had he stayed in longer, the score would have been worse. I was impressed with our UDFA's and noticed that 5 of them might make the team (Kerr, Harrison, Purifoy, Tipton, and Muamba). Realistically we came within a drive of winning the game, unfortunately it didn't work out. The first team was a bit off today (though I was going by stats and gametracker, so I didn't get to see certain things I could see live, like the O-Line. If some of those UDFA's make the team and Arthur Jones is ok (not sure how bad he was hurt watching on gametracker) then it's a win and we can see how the backups play in week 4. Hopefully some of the guys step up there and we have a complete and ready team for opening day.

Jones came back into the game, so probably not serious.

Sloppy performance overall but I thought Kerr looked fantastic and it was fun to see Muamba do his best Robert Mathis impression on the strip sack. Bad tackling by the first team defense, and they were horrible on 3rd down. They let McCown run for 28 yards on 3rd and 10. Luck and the offense never found a rhythm moving the ball and when they did they were helped out by penalties. I thought Trent looked solid running the ball when his own o-lineman weren't getting pushed back into him. It was great to see Reggie back out there. Overall, it was a disapointing performance albeit against one of the most talented teams in the NFL.

We need pass rush badly, can't do anything against a passing team without a quality pass rush.

Saints have a really good offensive line, a really good QB, and a really good offensive attack. I thought the pressure was decent, considering, but Brees really made out blitzes look bad.

Judging from this game how do you all define a successful season? Can the talk of the Colts being super bowl contenders please end so that we can discuss more reasonable and realistic expectations?  Do some of you seriously think that the Colts just had a bad night or are some of you actually willing to admit this team might not be as good as you originally thought?

You need to realize we were playing without Mathis and Freeman who are arguably are best two defensive players.

I thought Vontae looked unmotivated and sloppy.

Landry looks like he's in regular season form, as I saw him making plays all around the field, which is a great sign.

I think the offensive line is getting there.. Much respect for Harrison and Mewhort taking advantage of these precious reps they are receiving.

Saints have a really good offensive line, a really good QB, and a really good offensive attack. I thought the pressure was decent, considering, but Brees really made out blitzes look bad.

I thought we looked pretty good on D at the start. Especially against the run. We had a couple of chances to get off the field. The Saints are going to score points on everyone. The offense let us down if you go 20 mins to 10 mins in time of possession your going to have problems with anyone.

Luck was out of sync TY was dropping passes it seemed like we lacked focus.

My quick view: The Colts didn't play well and it will be completely forgotten in two weeks when they play Denver.

Work to do namely on the o-line but we already knew that. Also having out MLB trying to cover a tightend who could play WR is probably something the Colts should leave out of future game plans, I also saw some over pursing on defense. Some good film study should fix that.

If he stays healthy Toler is going to make a lot of people eat crow this year. His health update will be the most important thing to come out of this game.

Luck had a bad game. It happens. Reggie's back so there's that.

Davis did look umotivated at times when it came to tackling but I don't remember a single pass that was thrown his way.

My point exactly. I don't remember him even being tested. He may have looked bad tackling, maybe because it's preseason. But most of the D looked bad tackling.

I'll watch it later, but I didn't see any of the D schemes we saw in the first two games. I understand the respect for Brees, but their second string QB still carved our first team D up.

Here's hoping Peyton doesn't watch tape of the game.  Ok, well, here's hoping the equipment he's watching breaks down and has to be thrown in that above dumpster fire.  And when Denver comes to our AV dept. looking for a replacement, that it got overwritten by the new AV assistant and is gone forever.

My view of the game: We need to block someone or the pass and the run will be horrible.  We just looked really out of sync nothing seemed to be working for us. 

We say it is only the pre-season and i agree you cant put a lot of stock in it, very little game planning, vanilla scheme etc but we just couldnt connect and left a lot of yards out on the field.

I actually thought the starting secondary played well. No really big plays. Vontae wasn't tested, Landry made some plays, and Toler was victimized by some very good throws by Brees. New Orleans probably has a top 3 offense.

I think the starting ILB's, Jackson and Sheppard, played rather poorly. I know Studebaker has looked good only against the other team's second stringers, but I'd try him opposite Freeman at this point.

The OL has two rookies starting, and NO has a pretty good pass rush. Mewhort needs a year to get stronger and Harrison needs more reps. Even with those two in there, its a better OL than last year.

Boom Herron looked a bit like D Brown did last year. Runs straight ahead with speed.

Colts have always sucked during the preseason. I'm not surprised at all. Pay attention to the 2nd and 3rd teams. That will tell you how we practice. We have great depth. We're hardly lost games this preseason

I wouldn't say the Colts have always sucked during the preseason.  They may lose most of them but generally the first team plays better and improves on a weekly basis and the second and third stringers usually come in and lose the game. 

You know, it's a weird thing.  Brees is a good QB. And good QBs complete passes.  So not sure why Jackson is being roasted for being unable to cover Graham or on the TD.  It happens!!!  This is the NFL that now passes much more and top passing teams are not going to be stopped.  You just have to outscore them.

It just seems like some fans on here expect us to give up no points, no sacks, no negative yards, never turn over the ball, and the other team to make all the mistakes.  Not going to happen.

You know, it's a weird thing. Brees is a good QB. And good QBs complete passes. So not sure why Jackson is being roasted for being unable to cover Graham or on the TD. It happens!!! This is the NFL that now passes much more and top passing teams are not going to be stopped. You just have to outscore them.

It just seems like some fans on here expect us to give up no points, no sacks, no negative yards, never turn over the ball, and the other team to make all the mistakes. Not going to happen.

good QBs also find miss matches and take advantage of them. Like you said it happens.

The amount of knee jerk reactions people are having to a game that the starters played a half and a series without even a full game plan is kinda frightening. Here's the other kicker people are acting like it was 40-0 when the starters went out. It was 20-10 when they went out and should have 20-14 and probably would have been had they played the goal line series like they probably will in the season and use Lucks size and speed as advantage down there but they weren't going to expose him to contact like that in a pre-season game. The Colts were in the game.

No the defense didn't look great but most defense aren't going to look great vs. the Saints offense. So those that seem to have expected that they should have have unrealistic expectations in my book. It doesn't mean the defense can't improve on things but they aren't the 85 Bears either.

Judging from this game how do you all define a successful season? Can the talk of the Colts being super bowl contenders please end so that we can discuss more reasonable and realistic expectations?  Do some of you seriously think that the Colts just had a bad night or are some of you actually willing to admit this team might not be as good as you originally thought?

They had a bad night. They were also playing without their two best defensive players.

we looked exactly the way we looked last year before we faced denver. The chargers dominated us in time of posession and our wrs dropped lots of passes the d misssed tackles. In this game the saints dominated us in time of possession and wrs dropped passes and d missed tackles. Its a good omen. butler looked nice though.

good QBs also find miss matches and take advantage of them. Like you said it happens.

The amount of knee jerk reactions people are having to a game that the starters played a half and a series without even a full game plan is kinda frightening. Here's the other kicker people are acting like it was 40-0 when the starters went out. It was 20-10 when they went out and should have 20-14 and probably would have been had they played the goal line series like they probably will in the season and use Lucks size and speed as advantage down there but they weren't going to expose him to contact like that in a pre-season game. The Colts were in the game.

No the defense didn't look great but most defense aren't going to look great vs. the Saints offense. So those that seem to have expected that they should have have unrealistic expectations in my book. It doesn't mean the defense can't improve on things but they aren't the 85 Bears either.

to be honest the saints are prob the number two team in the nfc behind only the seahawks

I thought we looked pretty good on D at the start. Especially against the run. We had a couple of chances to get off the field. The Saints are going to score points on everyone. The offense let us down if you go 20 mins to 10 mins in time of possession your going to have problems with anyone.

Luck was out of sync TY was dropping passes it seemed like we lacked focus.

Yeah, I think the offensive gameplan and play calling was fine. The execution stunk. Bad throws, dropped passes, a few missed blocks... The way Luck was throwing, I'm surprised he didn't throw the ball over Fleener's head in the end zone. 

I'd still like to see more bootlegs, but we used a little more play action, I think. Just too many miscues, but I put those all on the players, not the plays.

I actually thought the starting secondary played well. No really big plays. Vontae wasn't tested, Landry made some plays, and Toler was victimized by some very good throws by Brees. New Orleans probably has a top 3 offense.I think the starting ILB's, Jackson and Sheppard, played rather poorly. I know Studebaker has looked good only against the other team's second stringers, but I'd try him opposite Freeman at this point.The OL has two rookies starting, and NO has a pretty good pass rush. Mewhort needs a year to get stronger and Harrison needs more reps. Even with those two in there, its a better OL than last year.Boom Herron looked a bit like D Brown did last year. Runs straight ahead with speed.

Very fair assessment, I agree on all points.

Just for random info: I went to the third preseason game last year. We totally dominated Cleveland. Yes, I know Cleveland is no NO, but they had a pretty solid team. Costonzo went out early yet the offense rolled without missing a beat. Even though it was the preseason, I was thinking we really looked good.

Then we outright stunk at home against a poor a Raider team for our opener. We were lucky to win it. Just sayin, ya never know....

Very fair assessment, I agree on all points.

Just for random info: I went to the third preseason game last year. We totally dominated Cleveland. Yes, I know Cleveland is no NO, but they had a pretty solid team. Costonzo went out early yet the offense rolled without missing a beat. Even though it was the preseason, I was thinking we really looked good.

Then we outright stunk at home against a poor a Raider team for our opener. We were lucky to win it. Just sayin, ya never know....

Probably a sign of a young team.

bh605.jpg

It certainly wasn't me.  I was merely pointing out the FACT that Stude has played better against his competition than Jackson or Sheppard have against their's.  Remember the questions asked when jackson was signed....why did a bad Cleveland team give up on him? 

We have not yet seen with our own eyes whether or not he was a good signing.  Based only upon the last game...I'd say it wasn't.  

It certainly wasn't me.  I was merely pointing out the FACT that Stude has played better against his competition than Jackson or Sheppard have against their's.  Remember the questions asked when jackson was signed....why did a bad Cleveland team give up on him? 

We have not yet seen with our own eyes whether or not he was a good signing.  Based only upon the last game...I'd say it wasn't.  

And I'd agree.  Based on what I saw at the game, he was average at best.  His job is to stop the run, he's not known as a pass defender.  Yet, he didn't look very good at either. 

No doubt Studebaker played better.  They can laugh about it, but it's true.  For that night anyway.

And I'd agree.  Based on what I saw at the game, he was average at best.  His job is to stop the run, he's not known as a pass defender.  Yet, he didn't look very good at either. 

No doubt Studebaker played better.  They can laugh about it, but it's true.  For that night anyway.

I believe he was brought in because of his ability to drop in zone, he has never been a playmaker in the run game having recorded only 22 stuffs in his 9 year career

I believe he was brought in because of his ability to drop in zone, he has never been a playmaker in the run game having recorded only 22 stuffs in his 9 year career

Hopefully they'll use him in zone because he was totally exposed in man.  Also, the missed tackles didn't help.

I thought he was having a good preseason until that game.  Could be they were just seeing what he could do in D sets that weren't his strength.

Jackson was good in the first two games.