Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Blake Bortles

bestQBever

Coming out of college and before the draft, I was convinced this guy was gonna be a bust. I saw nothing impressive in any of his highlight reels and even found some "tape" on him and was not impressed. After watching these two preseason games, my opinion has changed considerably. I think with 1 year of being on the bench and learning, the AFC South will have 2 QB's to fear.

Coming out of college and before the draft, I was convinced this guy was gonna be a bust. I saw nothing impressive in any of his highlight reels and even found some "tape" on him and was not impressed. After watching these two preseason games, my opinion has changed considerably. I think with 1 year of being on the bench and learning, the AFC South will have 2 QB's to fear.

I agree, he made one throw tonight down the left side that was such an elite throw. I think with a couple more receiving weapons he'll become close to pro-bowl caliber. Jacksonville won't be a threat this year, but they could be next.

I agree totally. I live in Florida now and got to see 2 UCF games last year and more on TV. His clutch throws late in games and his overall play was outstanding. I truly believe he will be the best QB of the 2014 draft. I really like Bortles. I will always be a COLTS fan but, I truly believe he will give the COLTS trouble sooner than many expect. There will be 2 great QBs in the South now. I don't think he'll be on the bench very long. He looked real good again tonight.

Hey everyone. I did not watch the game, but I watched some of his throws last week and he looked good. The only caveat I would make before annointing him is to remember this about making judgments based on pre season. He played against 2nd string players and others who won't be on the team. The team shows nothing but vanilla defense and blitzes are rare. Last week he was not blitzed once, and had so much time to deliver the ball. Makes it easy to look pretty good. I thought Manziel looked good until you looked closer and saw how he was leaving the pocket so quickly and missed some wide open receivers.

Now on the flip side, the throws down the sideline, you cannot coach that. I know he has a very good arm. I just don't think you can make an accurate judgment until they go against number one defense, and are forced to go through progressions, while being under severe pressure. Can they manipulate the pocket? That is what makes Manning, Luck, Brady special is the manipulation of the pocket, and progressions under duress.

Still, I would prefer he is a bust. Does that sound mean spirited?

He stood tall in the pocket and played well overall and that was with a lack of veteran or big time receivers to throw to...If he translates this to the REGULAR SEASON consistently (and I believe he will continue to grow with every passing year)then.......Uh oh :funny:  :neener: Bring it Jags!...Also it sounds like the Jags have decided that Henne will start anyway this year

Yeah he's totally going to be threatening Luck for his crown of the AFC South.

It's preseason. You never know what to expect until it's up against starters and not evaluation in an exhibition game.

It's still Jacksonville, and MJD is gone, who is going to do all the heavy lifting for them?

You guys have nothing to worry about.....at all. You play in one of the sorriest divisions of the NFL (if not the weakest division in the past decade) and get 3 guaranteed easy wins a year against all 3 of your divisional opponents. All you have to worry about is the other AFC teams. No one is about to challenge the Colts on that scale.

He stood tall in the pocket and played well overall and that was with a lack of veteran or big time receivers to throw to...If he translates this to the REGULAR SEASON consistently (and I believe he will continue to grow with every passing year)then.......Uh oh :funny:  :neener: Bring it Jags!...Also it sounds like the Jags have decided that Henne will start anyway this year

I honestly wouldn't mind it. I don't want the AFC south to be the crappiest division in the NFL anymore. I love the fact that we get 5-6 guarantee wins but we have to have some pride in our division.

It's preseason. You never know what to expect until it's up against starters and not evaluation in an exhibition game.

It's still Jacksonville, and MJD is gone, who is going to do all the heavy lifting for them?

You guys have nothing to worry about.....at all. You play in one of the sorriest divisions of the NFL (if not the weakest division in the past decade) and get 3 guaranteed easy wins a year against all 3 of your divisional opponents. All you have to worry about is the other AFC teams. No one is about to challenge the Colts on that scale.

True the colts won't be unseated for a while but really... I know this might sound weird, but I'm actually kinda rooting for Bortles to become good/great. That would validate us winning the division even more and make colts jags games a thing to watch.

I know it's preseason, but I'm standing by my earlier post where I said Jacksonville will be a surprise team. I'm not worried about them  winning the division or even making the playoffs, but I expect them to be much improved. I'll be watching out for Bortles during the regular season. He might be the real deal for Jacksonville.

NFL teams can change fortunes over a single off-season.  If Jacksonville has a legit QB, then building up the rest of the team is easy.  

Blake Bortles has been the most impressive out of all the rookie QBs so far in the preseason. He is making accurate throws down the field while standing tall in the pocket. Jags have reason for hope at the QB position.

He reminds me of Andrew Luck......

...and their defense is better (it wasn't that bad last year).

Jacksonville has a long way to go but they seem to be on the rise

Last night against the Bears I watched Blake just to see what he had. He has a spiral on his throws that looks as good as any I have seen. I hope he succeeds just to get a good competition game when they play our guys. If the Texans play dead again in their second preseason game this weekend they could be a cake walkk for the Colts this year.  Blake is 6'5" so you knot only have to rush him but put your hand up as well. good luck to him as long as he screws up when they play the Colts.

I saw this on Bortles, about how he was always passed over, ignored by recruiters, etc, and played with a chip on his shoulder. He's going to be a good one..plus, (non-football related) He has a gorgeous model for a girlfriend in Lindsay Duke...

She has many fine... assets. 

Gregg Rosenthal of NFL.com tweeted this and while I don't agree/like a lot of what he and other NFL.com writers put out, I couldn't help but agree with this

If Manziel was having the preseason Bortles is having, @nflnetwork would have canceled the rest of our programming for the month.

— Gregg Rosenthal (@greggrosenthal)

August 15, 2014

It would become the Manziel network.  

If I'm a Jags fan, I would be pretty pleased.  He made a couple of throws that should have been deflected or intercepted by better CBs.  But it's his second preseason game, he'll tighten those throws up if he continues to improve over the next few years.  I wonder when the Jags will throw him in there.  If I were them, I'd wait until the playoffs are out of reach, which should be sometime around week 10 or 11 - and I don't mean that in a joking deuchy way either.  They still have a lot of missing pieces, but this current regime is moving in the right direction and has made, I think, a lot of solid moves.  Will be awfully interesting in the coming years to start having intra-division opponents actually make us look good when we beat them.

If I'm a Jags fan, I would be pretty pleased.  He made a couple of throws that should have been deflected or intercepted by better CBs.  But it's his second preseason game, he'll tighten those throws up if he continues to improve over the next few years.  I wonder when the Jags will throw him in there.  If I were them, I'd wait until the playoffs are out of reach, which should be sometime around week 10 or 11 - and I don't mean that in a joking deuchy way either.  They still have a lot of missing pieces, but this current regime is moving in the right direction and has made, I think, a lot of solid moves.  Will be awfully interesting in the coming years to start having intra-division opponents actually make us look good when we beat them.

I'm curious though, if he's already better then Henne then why not start him week 1?

You probably arn't going to the playoffs anyways.  But let him use this season to learn on the field and get in synch with his receivers.

I'm curious though, if he's already better then Henne then why not start him week 1?

You probably arn't going to the playoffs anyways.  But let him use this season to learn on the field and get in synch with his receivers.

The spectacle known as Blaine Gabbert is still fresh in Jacksonville's memory, I'm sure.

Something the broadcasters mentioned last night is that Bortles didn't have a full-time QB coach at UCF. So his technical issues with his delivery probably have a lot to do with a lack of focused coaching. I didn't know that about him. Plus, he does some things you can't really coach, like throwing against the grain.

The Jags are being extra cautious, but Henne has looked good as well. I'd prefer to get my future QB on the field as quickly as possible, but it won't hurt him to sit out a few games this year and brought along slowly. Especially since they have a lot of young skill players. If Henne should get hurt or struggle, the Bortles Era will get a jump start. 

Let Henne taking a beating until the Oline gets some synergy.

He looked good "for preseason game". I think taking it slow and letting him get familiar with the league (regular season is even faster) is a good thing. Make sure he is 100% comfortable with the verbage and offense and can run a high enough percentage of plays in the offense as to make sure he isn't limited. Throw him out there with only say 20 runs 20 throws and defenses can key on plays...give him a larger portion or the whole thing and you suddenly can be very multi-dimensional. Gives him the best chance to succeed. Watching him...I wouldn't be surprised to see them start Henne but move on to Bortles by week 6 or 7 or after their bye because he looks like he has a good command of the game. It doesn't seem to fast or big for him. I liked the pick and with a solid defense they have built...just give him some weapons and that team will give us all we want and more in a year or so.

play in one of the sorriest divisions of the NFL (if not the weakest division in the past decade)

Strongest actually. Would you like me to dig up the thread for you? I do think though the NFCS ranked just in front of the mediocrity that was the NFCW the last decade.