Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The 'suck For Luck' Mantra

Is pathetic. Even before the Colts were 0-10 I felt this. Now it seems par for the course that everyone has conceded the season is a wash and they are content to end up with the #1 pick. I find that line of thinking to be a loser's mentality. As a naturally competitive person, I cannot fathom tanking games or not giving it my best effort on every play. It is unthinkable to me that the Colts are no longer putting forth their best effort week-in-week-out. If I were in a position in the Colts organization as a player or coach, and I felt certain folks had stopped giving it their best effort, I would be livid enough to induce a stroke!!

This extends to the fans, too. I've seen all kinds of 'Luck' memorabilia, signs, etc. It disgusts me. As a football fan, and a naturally competitive person, I would like nothing more than to see the Colts win every last one of the games they have left. Every. One.

If you are rooting for the #1 pick, you have a loser's mentality.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is pathetic. Even before the Colts were 0-10 I felt this. Now it seems par for the course that everyone has conceded the season is a wash and they are content to end up with the #1 pick. I find that line of thinking to be a loser's mentality. As a naturally competitive person, I cannot fathom tanking games or not giving it my best effort on every play. It is unthinkable to me that the Colts are no longer putting forth their best effort week-in-week-out. If I were in a position in the Colts organization as a player or coach, and I felt certain folks had stopped giving it their best effort, I would be livid enough to induce a stroke!!

This extends to the fans, too. I've seen all kinds of 'Luck' memorabilia, signs, etc. It disgusts me. As a football fan, and a naturally competitive person, I would like nothing more than to see the Colts win every last one of the games they have left. Every. One.

I myself always want to win,every sunday you watch and hope for a win.I try to take something good at of this losing and i convince myself well at least we will get the top draft pick.But the losing is embarrassing and i still want to win on sunday's.

I still want to win........and if not that, I'd like and hope for an offensive td...........and if I cannot have that......a couple of first downs. In the jax game.....I would have been much happier without those 2 interceptions.

I don't worry about the draft until the season is over.

We don't throw games.

But I understand people looking for an up side.

You need to get your life together and stop pretending that you are an NFL player, when you are just some guy living vicariously through you team. There is nothing worse than a fan talking about the thrill of victory, competition, and taking one game at a time. It's pretty pathetic. If I were a player, all I would focus on is winning, taking one game at a time, blah blah blah. However, we are fans so we speculate on the big picture. We can afford to be realistic about loosing because no one is going to take our heads off on Sunday.

But, to your point, no one who calls, himself/herself a colts fan should be rooting for the Colts to lose or wearing luck Jerseys. Let's just root for the team to win like good fans.

When I was at the game last week, I sure wasn't cheering for the Colts to lose, and neither were the 60,000 other folks in attendance....ok, well maybe the Jax fans were, but they were in the minority. Again, I saw very few Luck jerseys, in fact, I think I only saw one, and it was on a homeless person under the railroad bridge.

So yes, there perhaps are some fans that are rooting for a loss, but they are few and far between. Most of us here just want a win on Sunday....Is that so wrong?

Who is this attack aimed at? The fans at the LOS. The posters on here? The Polians, Irsay, Coaches, players?

No matter what we as fans do (root for every yard, or hope to go 0-16), what is disgusting is how this team has been (un) prepared for Manning going down, and the stinking loser mentality of the FO and coaches.......and you should be annointed for being such a great fan.

I would be embrassed as a Colts fan if we go 0-16. I also hate the suck for Luck crap that seems to take hold among some fans and the media. I know the Colts are horrible and I have weighed in on that subject many times but I will never, ever intentionally hope that we lose. Our team is really not an NFL caliber one and our management and coaching is very, very bad but somehow I, too, hope we win every week. Its just natural as you said for a Colts football fan and a natural competitor.

Actually, he is a senior. He redshirted his freshman year in 2008. He returned to school this year to finish his degree.

That would make him a redshirt junior, giving him one extra season of eligibility to come back if he so chooses. You're right that he will graduate this year, so I think there is a really good chance he comes out.

Is pathetic.Even before the Colts were 0-10 I felt this. Now it seems par for the course that everyone has conceded the season is a wash and they are content to end up with the #1 pick. I find that line of thinking to be a loser's mentality. As a naturally competitive person, I cannot fathom tanking games or not giving it my best effort on every play. It is unthinkable to me that the Colts are no longer putting forth their best effort week-in-week-out. If I were in a position in the Colts organization as a player or coach, and I felt certain folks had stopped giving it their best effort, I would be livid enough to induce a stroke!!

Well.... seeing how no one on the team has had a stroke, I guess there is the remote possibility the Colts are just not talented enough or balanced enough or coached well enough without Peyton Manning to win a football game.

But there's a big difference between rooting for the #1 pick.... and discussing the very real possibility and the options of actually getting it.... which unfortunately is where the Colts are right now.

Are some Colts fans rooting for the #1 pick at this point?

Yes, there are some... but even those folks are doing so with the long-term welfare of the Colts in mind, so your "loser's mentality" grenade overlooks that rather important caveat. Keep in mind that Peyton will be 36 years old the next time he starts another NFL game....IF he can come back.

Yeah....there were 2 or 3 games the Colts could have won this season but didn't..... but I don't think they're tanking anything. Some times a football team is just not good enough. And no Colts fan that I know has enjoyed this season very much.

As a Lions fan.... you've seen this movie before, yes?

But there's a big difference between rooting for the #1 pick.... and discussing the very real possibility and the options of actually getting it.... which unfortunately is where the Colts are right now.

That's the truth. I think that this guy is one of those fans who thinks that he is a player so he gets all upset when fans are realistic about the teams chances. There is only a small minority of fans who want to see the Colts lose every week.

I Our team is really not an NFL caliber one and our management and coaching is very, very bad but somehow I, too, hope we win every week.

I am willing to bet that most knowldegeable NFL experts would disagree with the above statement and the past 10 seasons don't support it either.

This rebuke is comical coming from a Lions fan. No offense dude, but don't come here lecturing us about this stuff. Many of us have seen plenty of down years previous to the Manning-era so we know how to get through this. If some of us choose to look at the draft as a silver lining to an abysmal season that is our perogative. No one is outright rooting for the Colts to lose. Has it occured to you that our Colts are trying but that they legitimately suck because of our medicre coaching staff and the fact that our front office put all our chips on the health of one franchise quarterback? What do you expect us fans to do about it? We are not on the field playing these games. We voice our concerns on forums like this and continue to support our Colts win or lose.

Your Lions have looked good this season but don't get too high and mighty. Colts fans have seen our team accomplish things in the past decade that as a Lions fan you have never experienced. So don't come up here fronting like you are more than 1 year removed from losing yourself.

This rebuke is comical coming from a Lion's fan. No offense dude, but don't come here lecturing us about this stuff. Many of us have seen plenty of down years previous to the Manning-era so we know how to get through this. If some of us choose to look at the draft as a silver lining to an abysmal season that is our perogative. No one is outright rooting for the Colts to lose. Has it occured to you that our Colts are trying but that they legitimately suck because of our medicre coaching staff and the fact that our front office put all our chips on the health of one franchise quarterback? What do you expect us fans to do about it? We are not on the field playing these games. We voice our concerns on forums like this and continue to support our Colts win or lose.

Your Lions have looked good this season but don't get too high and mighty. Colts fans have seen our team accomplish things in the past decade that as a Lions fan you have never experienced. So don't come up here fronting like you are more than 1 year removed from losing yourself.

Fab-u-lous. Very well said Coltsman.

I am not one to root against the team, but at this point we are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. It isn't as if we are going to go on a streak, get a wild card, and win the Super Bowl. I can see people rooting for the number one pick.

We are mathematically eliminated and winning a bunch of games and going 6-10 is not going to help this team. Getting the first pick in next years draft puts us in a great position to help this team. Losing this season will go a long way in the next few years. I have never out right rooted against the Colts and never will, but when we lose I am not upset like I was a year or two ago.

Even if we do not draft Luck and we trade the pick it will be for a king ransom and we should be able to rebuild that defense and offensive line real quick. If we draft Luck then we potential have a franchise QB in the waiting.

People keep thinking we would get a "Kings" ransom for the number 1 pick, so what is a King's ransom?

A teams entire draft plus next years number one pick would be a minimum assuming that they have a top 5 pick this year. Probably more like 3 number one picks for a team out of the top ten.

A teams entire draft plus next years number one pick would be a minimum assuming that they have a top 5 pick this year. Probably more like 3 number one picks for a team out of the top ten.

I think at best the Colts would probably get the other teams No. 1 pick this year and maybe next year and a another pick in this round. I think teams would rather just take a chance with the other QB's in the draft then give out to much.

Actually, he is a senior. He redshirted his freshman year in 2008. He returned to school this year to finish his degree.

which makes him a junior by an eligibility stand point which is what the poster was getting at. If he wants he can return for another year at Stanford. I said that months ago and I agree it's highly unlikely but if he really doesn't want to sit for 3 to 4 years behind Manning he could do that as one way to get out of it.

Have you seen the importance of QB play? It is EVERYTHING in this league. If the Raiders gave a 1 and a potential 1 (probably going to be a 2) .... but if they gave that for Carson Palmer... 3 number ones is probably a lock...

You can't take what the Radiers do and say any other team in the NFL is that stupid. Plus there are a number of NFL possbile quality QB's coming out in the draft, so why give up a ton of picks when you can go with one of those?

You can't take what the Radiers do and say any other team in the NFL is that stupid. Plus there are a number of NFL possbile quality QB's coming out in the draft, so why give up a ton of picks when you can go with one of those?

Because Luck is the greatest thing since sliced bread. He's the next Peyton Manning. He's the next BETTER than Peyton Manning. He's the next football GOD....at least those are the opinions you've been infecting us all with for the past several weeks. So if these things you say are true, why would another team NOT give up multiple picks for him?

You need to change "The Calming Voice" to "The TROLLING voice".

Because Luck is the greatest thing since sliced bread. He's the next Peyton Manning. He's the next BETTER than Peyton Manning. He's the next football GOD....at least those are the opinions you've been infecting us all with for the past several weeks. So if these things you say are true, why would another team NOT give up multiple picks for him?

Real men suck for nobody, show some pride and win a game.

Real men suck for nobody, show some pride and win a game.

I agree. Imo if the Colts were truly tanking then they should be stripped of the first round pick. Trouble would be proving it but I would lose all respect and admiration for this franchise if I believed they were losing on purpose.

We are mathematically eliminated and winning a bunch of games and going 6-10 is not going to help this team. Getting the first pick in next years draft puts us in a great position to help this team. Losing this season will go a long way in the next few years. I have never out right rooted against the Colts and never will, but when we lose I am not upset like I was a year or two ago.

Even if we do not draft Luck and we trade the pick it will be for a king ransom and we should be able to rebuild that defense and offensive line real quick. If we draft Luck then we potential have a franchise QB in the waiting.

This.

Being happy about a high draft pick is simply trying to find something to be positive about.

I'd much rather be drafting 32nd.

Because teams won't. It's still a risk and teams have seen you don't have to have a Peyton style QB to take you to the SB. Yes teams would give up maybe 2 even 3 picks over the next few seasons, but I don't see this huge King Ransom people speak of to get the number 1 pick.

Because teams won't. It's still a risk and teams have seen you don't have to have a Peyton style QB to take you to the SB. Yes teams would give up maybe 2 even 3 picks over the next few seasons, but I don't see this huge King Ransom people speak of to get the number 1 pick.

If it's still a risk and you don't need a Peyton style QB to take you to a SB, then why do we need Luck? Why then would it be so absurd (as you've made it seem) for the Colts to trade down and take one of the "number of NFL possbile quality QB's" (your words, not mine) in the draft and also be able to build the rest of the team?

If it's still a risk and you don't need a Peyton style QB to take you to a SB, then why do we need Luck? Why then would it be so absurd (as you've made it seem) for the Colts to trade down and take one of the "number of NFL possbile quality QB's" (your words, not mine) in the draft and also be able to build the rest of the team?

Because we need a replacement for Peyton who could either be at the end of his career or near it. With that and since we have the number 1 pick you take Luck. Also trading down doesn't mean you will improve your team and I bet many here it just means more chances for the Polians to screw up, plus those extra picks are going to cost you more money. When you have the number 1 pick you do what is best for your team and both short term and long term I believe taking Luck is that best option unless has some here have said, some team comes forward with just a flat out stupid trade offer for it (like 5-7 picks over 2-3 years and a present NFL talent) then maybe I would consider it.

Because we need a replacement for Peyton who could either be at the end of his career or near it.

Agreed, which is why we could also consider taking one of the "number of NFL possbile quality QB's" instead of Luck.

With that and since we have the number 1 pick you take Luck. Also trading down doesn't mean you will improve your team and I bet many here it just means more chances for the Polians to screw up,

I didn't ask you the question to find out what you think other people would say. Plus you've been more than vocal that Polian can turn the team around (which I lean towards agreeing with, and I say that begrudgingly) so why not give him as many drafting opportunities to turn the team around that much faster?

plus those extra picks are going to cost you more money.

The money would even out. Not drafting a QB #1 overall would save money that could be used to sign the other players we would draft. Plus, with the new rookie wage scale there's a limit to how much they can get paid. Money would not be an issue until their rookie contracts expire and by that time Manning would be retired, which frees up a lot of cap space.

When you have the number 1 pick you do what is best for your team and both short term and long term

I agree, which is why it is important to consider all options, including trading the pick. The extra picks we would acquire would help to rebuild the defense and continue solidifying the OL. That helps both in the short and long term does it not?

I believe taking Luck is that best option unless has some here have said, some team comes forward with just a flat out stupid trade offer for it (like 5-7 picks over 2-3 years and a present NFL talent) then maybe I would consider it.

See Atlanta trading up for Julio Jones and Cleveland trading up for Brady Quinn. There will be a team willing to spend a fortune to move up for him.

So...what else ya got? ;)

Agreed, which is why we could also consider taking one of the "number of NFL possbile quality QB's" instead of Luck.

I didn't ask you the question to find out what you think other people would say. Plus you've been more than vocal that Polian can turn the team around (which I lean towards agreeing with, and I say that begrudgingly) so why not give him as many drafting opportunities to turn the team around that much faster?

The money would even out. Not drafting a QB #1 overall would save money that could be used to sign the other players we would draft. Plus, with the new rookie wage scale there's a limit to how much they can get paid. Money would not be an issue until their rookie contracts expire and by that time Manning would be retired, which frees up a lot of cap space.

I agree, which is why it is important to consider all options, including trading the pick. The extra picks we would acquire would help to rebuild the defense and continue solidifying the OL. That helps both in the short and long term does it not?

See Atlanta trading up for Julio Jones and Cleveland trading up for Brady Quinn. There will be a team willing to spend a fortune to move up for him.

So...what else ya got? ;)

I take Luck over the others because his "numbers" are better. I also would listen to offers to trade down, but again I would have to be blown away (5 or more picks) to trade the pick.