Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The 'suck For Luck' Mantra

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think there was a report, from Clayton i think, that #1 pick because of luck would have a value of 2 1st rounders 2 2nd rounders and possibly a 3rd.

thats a king ransom and im ok with that.

If we could get that, we should take it and not look back. I think Peyton will return to form because the guy is the ultimate competitor. We could fill the gaps in our defense and offensive line greatly the next two years. Then Peyton's last 2 years of his contract he goes out Elway style with 2 more championships.

The last time we saw Peyton Manning on the field he had an excellent game in the playoffs against a top notch Jets defense. I believe he was hurt last year and that last game, and this procedure is to fix that. He played through it before surgery. The point of the surgeries was to correct it. There is no reason to believe Peyton won't be better when he comes back compared to when he left because he won't be hurt. We need to put a premium on offensive linemen this off season. It shouldn't be that hard to make Peyton untouchable. He is the quickest QB ever to get rid of the ball. That's why when he plays our offensive line is the number 1 rated pass blocking line and has been for a decade. Castonzo and Ijiliana were a start. We need to draft some NFL ready linemen that have talent next year.

So what I'm saying is we trade Luck and draft two O-linemen in the top 10 to protect Manning, and the rest on defense, and next year we can take two defensive guys in the first round. That will leave Peyton with a pretty talented team his last two years and I can see him easily winning the Super Bowl twice to close out his career.

I take Luck over the others because his "numbers" are better. I also would listen to offers to trade down, but again I would have to be blown away (5 or more picks) to trade the pick.

To move up to the #6 spot last year, the Falcons traded 5 picks: 1st- (27th overall), second- (59th) and fourth-round (124th) picks in 2011 draft and first- and fourth-round picks in 2012. Why would you assume someone wouldn't do the same for Luck since QB is obviously the most important position on the field in today's NFL? I would venture to say that a team drafting in the top 10 like the Redskins or Dolphins would give us 5 picks for Luck. Heck, Ditka traded his entire draft for Ricky Williams. There are multiple occasions where team's have given a "king's ransom" to move up to draft a player they covet. I guarantee that if the Colts want to trade the 1st overall pick, there will be a bidding war between a handful of teams.

Further, if you want to take Luck because his "numbers are better," then I think you should really look at them. His numbers are not nearly as flashy as other QBs that will be coming out. The reason to draft Luck is because of his intangibles such as reading defenses and accuracy...he plays on a run first team that constantly runs two to three TE sets. Spread option QBs have much more robust numbers...

The more you post, the less credible you become. I've seen you argue so many different ways on this forum it's crazy, and now you are just spouting pure, un-researched nonsense. Jason was right....if you don't change it to the "trolling voice," then at least delete "calming voice" because it just degrades your credibility even further.

To move up to the #6 spot last year, the Falcons traded 5 picks: 1st- (27th overall), second- (59th) and fourth-round (124th) picks in 2011 draft and first- and fourth-round picks in 2012. Why would you assume someone wouldn't do the same for Luck since QB is obviously the most important position on the field in today's NFL? I would venture to say that a team drafting in the top 10 like the Redskins or Dolphins would give us 5 picks for Luck. Heck, Ditka traded his entire draft for Ricky Williams. There are multiple occasions where team's have given a "king's ransom" to move up to draft a player they covet. I guarantee that if the Colts want to trade the 1st overall pick, there will be a bidding war between a handful of teams.

Further, if you want to take Luck because his "numbers are better," then I think you should really look at them. His numbers are not nearly as flashy as other QBs that will be coming out. The reason to draft Luck is because of his intangibles such as reading defenses and accuracy...he plays on a run first team that constantly runs two to three TE sets. Spread option QBs have much more robust numbers...

The more you post, the less credible you become. I've seen you argue so many different ways on this forum it's crazy, and now you are just spouting pure, un-researched nonsense. Jason was right....if you don't change it to the "trolling voice," then at least delete "calming voice" because it just degrades your credibility even further.

There may be some team that might, but for Luck I want more then what the Falcons gave away, I want their 1 this year and next, their 2nd this year and next and a 3rd or 4th either this year or next.

I take Luck over the others because his "numbers" are better. I also would listen to offers to trade down, but again I would have to be blown away (5 or more picks) to trade the pick.

This isn't fantasy football and you could of made a lot better argument for why you would draft Luck! Picking players just becuase their #'s is a bad idea.

There may be some team that might, but for Luck I want more then what the Falcons gave away, I want their 1 this year and next, their 2nd this year and next and a 3rd or 4th either this year or next.

I think it would be crazy not to take a deal similar to what the falcons got. Especially if it was from a team drafting in the top 10. We can differ on our opinions but the Colts would be set up really nice with that type of deal. Cleveland is in prime position to move up for Luck because of that deal, as the Colts would be for a player the following year. Drafting Luck or trading the pick is a risk/ reward either way.

Also meant QBs running the spread offenses not options in my other post.

Back on topic. I want us to win every week. Go Horse!

This isn't fantasy football and you could of made a lot better argument for why you would draft Luck! Picking players just becuase their #'s is a bad idea.

What I ment by numbers and I should have been more clear isn't what he is doing on teh field but how he is rated by those who rate college prospects. Sorry...

Yeah...so do the rest of us genius. :facepalm: Why do you think those of us who prefer to trade down WANT to trade down? Because we could get that many picks for the #1. Heck reports as of now are the pick could cost everything you said PLUS a 1st round pick in 2014. I guess some people thought us trade down folks wanted to just give the pick away. :rolleyes:

I am not one to root against the team, but at this point we are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. It isn't as if we are going to go on a streak, get a wild card, and win the Super Bowl. I can see people rooting for the number one pick.

Of course you can...because you have a loser's mentality.

This rebuke is comical coming from a Lions fan. No offense dude, but don't come here lecturing us about this stuff. Many of us have seen plenty of down years previous to the Manning-era so we know how to get through this. If some of us choose to look at the draft as a silver lining to an abysmal season that is our perogative. No one is outright rooting for the Colts to lose. Has it occured to you that our Colts are trying but that they legitimately suck because of our medicre coaching staff and the fact that our front office put all our chips on the health of one franchise quarterback? What do you expect us fans to do about it? We are not on the field playing these games. We voice our concerns on forums like this and continue to support our Colts win or lose.

Your Lions have looked good this season but don't get too high and mighty. Colts fans have seen our team accomplish things in the past decade that as a Lions fan you have never experienced. So don't come up here fronting like you are more than 1 year removed from losing yourself.

Mmmmm, yeah, show me where I went around beating my chest about the Lions? Your hangup, not mine.

We are mathematically eliminated and winning a bunch of games and going 6-10 is not going to help this team. Getting the first pick in next years draft puts us in a great position to help this team. Losing this season will go a long way in the next few years. I have never out right rooted against the Colts and never will, but when we lose I am not upset like I was a year or two ago.

Vehemently disagree

Vehemently disagree

How can you disagree with that statement? 6-10 doesn't get us in the playoffs and gives us a mediocre draft pick. Being able to look at the situation logically has nothing to do with a "losers mentality" and everything to do with the big picture and the long term success of the franchise. Its really pretty simple ... better draft pick(especially # 1 whether traded or used) is much more beneficial to the franchise then a 6-10 record. I would say you have the "losers mentality"; most successful people have the ability to forgo a little immediate gratification(read 6 wins) in the present in exchange for much larger rewards in the future.

On a side note I hate to take a shot at the Lions because I like seeing them do well and was rooting for them this season. But, the Colts are not the Lions and what might be acceptable and constitute success (or at least a step in the right direction) for the Lions franchise is a completely unacceptable waste of a season to a hand full of franchises like the Colts that are among the elite every year.

Fairley, you have to understand that we aren't lions fans. We aren't used to being terrible, it has been some time since the Colts were annually terrible.

First, thinking the players are trying to lose is just dumb. But as a fan I am more than willing to have a year or two of being bad to get back to being good that much faster. We have not had the luxury of being in the position to draft guys like Suh, Johnson, Stafford, Fairley, etc in a LONG time. You are used to getting the #1 pick, we are not. Just let us do our thing and learn how to be bad again, you are so used to it, we aren't.

Vehemently disagree

What will 6-10 do for this team? We are not a team like the Lions who are still in rebuilding mode. We are a veteran team that is having the window closed on it. Going 6-10, missing the playoffs, and getting a middle of the road pick will not do much for this team. As horrible it is getting the first overall pick does more for this team in the long run then what a 6-10 season will do.

With the first overall we could grab one of the best prospects to come out at QB in a long time to take over for one of the greatest or we could trade the pick for multiple picks which will help us fill in holes, get younger, and open that playoff window again.

One bad year and getting the first overall pick is worth it if it means we can continue our success for another decade.

Is pathetic. Even before the Colts were 0-10 I felt this. Now it seems par for the course that everyone has conceded the season is a wash and they are content to end up with the #1 pick. I find that line of thinking to be a loser's mentality. As a naturally competitive person, I cannot fathom tanking games or not giving it my best effort on every play. It is unthinkable to me that the Colts are no longer putting forth their best effort week-in-week-out. If I were in a position in the Colts organization as a player or coach, and I felt certain folks had stopped giving it their best effort, I would be livid enough to induce a stroke!!

This extends to the fans, too. I've seen all kinds of 'Luck' memorabilia, signs, etc. It disgusts me. As a football fan, and a naturally competitive person, I would like nothing more than to see the Colts win every last one of the games they have left. Every. One.

If you are rooting for the #1 pick, you have a loser's mentality.

No this is the wrong way to look at it. Many of us just know that with Painter and Orvlovsky we aren't rooting for the loss, we just expect it, because that is realistic. You can save your competitive speeches and tell them personally to Dwight Freeney when he is all pumped up angry, I'd pay to see that.

Agreed, which is why we could also consider taking one of the "number of NFL possbile quality QB's" instead of Luck.

All the rest of QB's are busts. No other QB in this draft is worthwhile. I'd rather we just gamble the pick away and ride out Manning for his sad several years of trying to lift this team on his back again... then when he is gone we can wait 10 years to pick up Luck 2.0

How can you disagree with that statement? 6-10 doesn't get us in the playoffs and gives us a mediocre draft pick. Being able to look at the situation logically has nothing to do with a "losers mentality" and everything to do with the big picture and the long term success of the franchise. Its really pretty simple ... better draft pick(especially # 1 whether traded or used) is much more beneficial to the franchise then a 6-10 record. I would say you have the "losers mentality"; most successful people have the ability to forgo a little immediate gratification(read 6 wins) in the present in exchange for much larger rewards in the future.

On a side note I hate to take a shot at the Lions because I like seeing them do well and was rooting for them this season. But, the Colts are not the Lions and what might be acceptable and constitute success (or at least a step in the right direction) for the Lions franchise is a completely unacceptable waste of a season to a hand full of franchises like the Colts that are among the elite every year.

You have a loser's mentality.

What will 6-10 do for this team? We are not a team like the Lions who are still in rebuilding mode. We are a veteran team that is having the window closed on it. Going 6-10, missing the playoffs, and getting a middle of the road pick will not do much for this team. As horrible it is getting the first overall pick does more for this team in the long run then what a 6-10 season will do.

The fact that you have to ask.......have you ever competed in anything in your entire life???? The fact that you believe there is nothing to gain by winning six games in a row is mind boggling to me.

All the rest of QB's are busts. No other QB in this draft is worthwhile. I'd rather we just gamble the pick away and ride out Manning for his sad several years of trying to lift this team on his back again... then when he is gone we can wait 10 years to pick up Luck 2.0

Wow, you've topped yourself yet again for dumbest comment ever. All of the other QBs coming out in 2012 are guaranteed to be busts huh? Well I guess knowing that absolute fact, there's no reason for us not to draft Andy huh? :facepalm:

The fact that you have to ask.......have you ever competed in anything in your entire life???? The fact that you believe there is nothing to gain by winning six games in a row is mind boggling to me.

Actually yeah I have competed in 3 different sports all the way up to high school so do not bring that competitive junk at me. I know what it is like to be a player that is having a crappy season and still busted my butt to win every single game even when we were officially out of the playoffs race.

I have never said I want to see this team completely tank. Most fans will say the same thing and will root every single game for the team to win. I have always said I want them to win, but I am not going to mope around and be ticked off because in the long run it will help this team.

Well....considering you're a Lions fan, I can see how the concept of actually winning 6 games in a row might be mind-boggling.

Wow, you've topped yourself yet again for dumbest comment ever. All of the other QBs coming out in 2012 are guaranteed to be busts huh? Well I guess knowing that absolute fact, there's no reason for us not to draft Andy huh? :facepalm:

I think your post tops the even 'dumb and dumber' list of comments. For i never said ALL. i implied that all but Luck. Yes, the rest of the QB class is weak and have high probability of being busts. I can write that in ink on that picture of your momma's forehead if you'd like. You can come back to this post and weep in a couple of years when it comes true.

I think your post tops the even 'dumb and dumber' list of comments. For i never said ALL. i implied that all but Luck. Yes, the rest of the QB class is weak and have high probability of being busts. I can write that in ink on that picture of your momma's forehead if you'd like. You can come back to this post and weep in a couple of years when it comes true.

Well if you had more than a 3rd grade ability to read and comprehend you'd see that I clearly said

All of the other QBs coming out in 2012
....all of the other....meaning the other QBs besides Luck which is what you just confirmed is what you meant. But since you don't I'm not surprised by your comment. It's one thing to be in love with Luck, which you clearly are, but to say the rest of the QBs in the 2012 class WILL BE BUSTS is totally absurd and pure garbage. You clearly can't have even a remotely intelligent open-minded conversation so you should stick to the kiddy table. ;) :ignore:

Well if you had more than a 3rd grade ability to read and comprehend you'd see that I clearly said ....all of the other....meaning the other QBs besides Luck which is what you just confirmed is what you meant. But since you don't I'm not surprised by your comment. It's one thing to be in love with Luck, which you clearly are, but to say the rest of the QBs in the 2012 class WILL BE BUSTS is totally absurd and pure garbage. You clearly can't have even a remotely intelligent open-minded conversation so you should stick to the kiddy table. ;) :ignore:

The writing is on the wall Jason! Open your eyes and read all of the professionally written sports articles.. everyone expects us to dump Manning because we can't afford him (the 28million$ option in February) and the risk is too big for our small market to gamble on his age and injury. It's sad, but the reality of a business decision. Lucks first 4 years will only cost us 28$million, so its a no-brainer to rebuild in a business sense. The rest of the team can't even get a single win, it really is time to rebuild.

You can continue to fantasize about trading down and getting 3 1st round picks who, in time, we won't be able to afford to keep on contract once they continue to get better. How is this for an intelligent conversation? Oh yeah, you rely on insults and I just like to converse about what the adult world has to say about our situation. Have a good day.

The writing is on the wall Jason! Open your eyes and read all of the professionally written sports articles.. everyone expects us to dump Manning because we can't afford him (the 28million$ option in February) and the risk is too big for our small market to gamble on his age and injury. It's sad, but the reality of a business decision. Lucks first 4 years will only cost us 28$million, so its a no-brainer to rebuild in a business sense. The rest of the team can't even get a single win, it really is time to rebuild.

You can continue to fantasize about trading down and getting 3 1st round picks who, in time, we won't be able to afford to keep on contract once they continue to get better. How is this for an intelligent conversation? Oh yeah, you rely on insults and I just like to converse about what the adult world has to say about our situation. Have a good day.

You need to take a picture of this wall you keep talking about so you'll have something to stand on. Yes there are articles about the Colts possibly trading Manning...there are just as many about them trading the Luck pick as well as articles suggesting they'll draft and keep Luck. There are articles about each possibility.

Why wouldn't we be able to keep the multiple top picks? By the time their rookie contract is up then chances are guys like Manning, Saturday, Clark, Freeney and possibly even Wayne and Mathis are no longer on the roster. That frees up a ton of space that would allow us to keep the new young talent we've acquired as well as whichever non-Luck QB we draft.

Jason don't bother. Supertodd is delusional, his arguments are irrelevant and laughable. Just ignore him, waste of everyone's energy.

P.S. couldn't afford the players? whaaa?? First off that would mean they would be star players hence setting the team up for success down the road. 2nd that would successfully replace our veterans with young talent without skipping a beat so the sal cap would stay the same more or less...what does he want? a bunch of players with minimum contracts and Andrew Luck? ...sorry this recent point by supertodd was simply to ridiculous to ignore. hah...couldn't afford them *shakes head and smiles* Best post i've read all day. Well at least the most ridiculous.

Every contending team is getting better in the afc. The patriots, ravens, steelers, texans, bengals, and even the jets (if they would just get rid of sanchez; they just need a new qb). We need a new defense n trading the pick would decrease the rebuilding time for this team. With Manning we are a contender. Without him we are a good 5-7 years away from seriously contending. Luck cannot carry this sorry excuse for a team. We need to still try to win everyvgame n hope we do because we need to keep that winner mentality. If we get the first pick so be it, but iy is still a long way from fixing the team without Manning.

Mmmmm, yeah, show me where I went around beating my chest about the Lions? Your hangup, not mine.

Actually...I like the Lions got no beef with them. Just don't need any condenscending lectures to our fans coming from a Lion's fan on stuff we know about better than you. We've been where you've been, where you are, where you haven't been, and back again buddy. :wink:

1. There should at least be 1 game this year when we play a team who is out of contention or who is resting their starters....and that's the 1 we should win.

Your probably right. The only problem is our team is already sitting there starters. Oh, sure they might go out on the field all dressed up, but the are all sitting down it looks like.

Guest indynorth

We have no chance at the playoffs,so at this point if we can get Luck why not.I think well end up with an Aaron Rodgers.I hate losing as much as anybody but we have to think of the future.

You need to take a picture of this wall you keep talking about so you'll have something to stand on. Yes there are articles about the Colts possibly trading Manning...there are just as many about them trading the Luck pick as well as articles suggesting they'll draft and keep Luck. There are articles about each possibility.

Why wouldn't we be able to keep the multiple top picks? By the time their rookie contract is up then chances are guys like Manning, Saturday, Clark, Freeney and possibly even Wayne and Mathis are no longer on the roster. That frees up a ton of space that would allow us to keep the new young talent we've acquired as well as whichever non-Luck QB we draft.

I'm fine with comparing our walls in a couple of years.. the writing is already on here, and am confident I will look like a Nostradamus compared to the suggestions and naive understanding you have of our current situation to move forward as a franchise. And its funny that you set yourself up to the point that all Luck has to do to beat you is outperform Matt Barkley and Nick Foles, which shouldn't be hard to do.

• 4 weeks later...

You need to get your life together and stop pretending that you are an NFL player, when you are just some guy living vicariously through you team. There is nothing worse than a fan talking about the thrill of victory, competition, and taking one game at a time. It's pretty pathetic. If I were a player, all I would focus on is winning, taking one game at a time, blah blah blah. However, we are fans so we speculate on the big picture. We can afford to be realistic about loosing because no one is going to take our heads off on Sunday.

But, to your point, no one who calls, himself/herself a colts fan should be rooting for the Colts to lose or wearing luck Jerseys. Let's just root for the team to win like good fans.

But that's just it: no coach or player is looking forward to the big picture, or some unproven college player. They look forward only ti winning. Our job, as fans, is to support our team. If they don't want to lose for any reason, we are simply not supporting them by acting as though a college QB drawing comparisons to Matt Ryan is going to save our franchise next year.

But that's just it: no coach or player is looking forward to the big picture, or some unproven college player. They look forward only ti winning. Our job, as fans, is to support our team. If they don't want to lose for any reason, we are simply not supporting them by acting as though a college QB drawing comparisons to Matt Ryan is going to save our franchise next year.

U and this Matt Ryan compar. I haven't heard this. I've heard elway and manning. And Ryan is a great qb what's wrong with that.