Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Johnny Manziel, really?

SilentHill

Huh? What about his arrest in 2012 and being charged with a fake license, getting kicked out of Manning's passing academy and being suspended by the NCAA for the autograph scandal? That is a pretty good rap sheet right there. This notion that the guy is "just having fun" and being a "typical 21 year old" is simply not true. I don't blame the owner for wanting him to present himself better given his history. For him or any of his fans not to expect the leash to be tight is just plain ignorant.

A misdemeanor for a fake ID, being asked to leave Manning's passing academy, and an NCAA "scandal" that results in a half game suspension is considered "a pretty good rap sheet?" Yeah, Manziel's a real gangsta alright. A regular Al Capone.

Is Manziel doing the work necessary to prepare for his rookie season? Who knows. He could be spending all day learning the playbook and watching game film and still have time for some fun at night. He hasn't even taken a snap in a pre-season game yet so its WAY too soon for anyone to start making judgments about how he's going to pan out in the league.

A misdemeanor for a fake ID, being asked to leave Manning's passing academy, and an NCAA "scandal" that results in a half game suspension is considered "a pretty good rap sheet?" Yeah, Manziel's a real gangsta alright. A regular Al Capone.

Is Manziel doing the work necessary to prepare for his rookie season? Who knows. He could be spending all day learning the playbook and watching game film and still have time for some fun at night. He hasn't even taken a snap in a pre-season game yet so its WAY too soon for anyone to start making judgments about how he's going to pan out in the league.

That list is a cause for alarm in terms of his character. I could care less how he plays football. We know he has a ton of raw talent and ability to make great plays but what is between in the ears is in question and has been in question since his college days. He could be doing a lot of things but his penchant for infantile behavior and brushes with the law have his owner concerned understandably. As a QB you are a leader of men. I don't care what your age is or how much money you make.

he's the anti-Tebow with the same hype..

To me, there is a strong comparison between these two:

• Extreme hype
  • Backup
  • More press attention to them rather than the team's starter

Thing with either of these two is that if they aren't your starter, they hurt your team.  To me, Tebow would be on someone's roster if he could get in without having the spotlight on him daily.  If you give Tebow the Jim Sorgi role and no one pays attention to him, he could be a legitimate QB in 3-4 years, at the ripe age of 29?  He has the leader mentality, the athleticism of a Luck or Newton, and the durability and toughness (so far anyway) to take some licks and keep on going.

Problem is, the insurmountable hype that follows him disallows any team from bringing him on as a developmental prospect.  Johnny isn't the wholesome character that Tebow is, but he has the same amount of hype.  If he doesn't succeed early, his career could go a very similar path as Tebow and he could be out of a job with no team willing to take a chance because of the circus of attention that comes with him.

It might be best for Manziel to sit down a year and see the speed of the NFL, and for the Browns to get a high pick and load up offensively next season. Brian Hoyer, unfortunately, might be a 1 year lame duck QB, without a future with the Browns with the way their offense is being set up without weapons (if Gordon is gone). It probably is the best for Manziel for all this hoopla to settle down if he sits down for a year, IMO.

It might be best for Manziel to sit down a year and see the speed of the NFL, and for the Browns to get a high pick and load up offensively next season. Brian Hoyer, unfortunately, might be a 1 year lame duck QB, without a future with the Browns with the way their offense is being set up without weapons (if Gordon is gone). It probably is the best for Manziel for all this hoopla to settle down if he sits down for a year, IMO.

I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that the hoopla will never die down.

Huh? What about his arrest in 2012 and being charged with a fake license, getting kicked out of Manning's passing academy and being suspended by the NCAA for the autograph scandal? That is a pretty good rap sheet right there. This notion that the guy is "just having fun" and being a "typical 21 year old" is simply not true. I don't blame the owner for wanting him to present himself better given his history. For him or any of his fans not to expect the leash to be tight is just plain ignorant.

What has he done in the NFL? Like, what heinous act has he committed that warrants all this negativity? I mean, there are quite a few players that you wouldn't expect to have acted a fool in school that changed their act in the NFL. I could name one big one right now. Johnny has been studying his playbook this offseason and has said he is preparing to be a starter. What he has done in the past is the past, so it is pretty ignorant to bring stuff from 2 years ago up and use it against him.

That's right. I really haven't given Manziel much thought at all. Too much has been made of it already. Only time will give us the answers to all the hype.

It might be a while, but I can't wait to see him tear up the league lol.

What has he done in the NFL? Like, what heinous act has he committed that warrants all this negativity? I mean, there are quite a few players that you wouldn't expect to have acted a fool in school that changed their act in the NFL. I could name one big one right now. Johnny has been studying his playbook this offseason and has said he is preparing to be a starter. What he has done in the past is the past, so it is pretty ignorant to bring stuff from 2 years ago up and use it against him.

So we should just ignore his collegiate days that were as recent as this past year and just wipe the slate clean? I think the Browns would like nothing better to hope he has changed but his continued infantile behavior has them concerned and rightly so. To chalk all his behavior up to just being young and having a good time is naive. Many 21 year olds have had a good time without being arrested, kicked out of a football academy and suspended by the NCAA. 

So we should just ignore his collegiate days that were as recent as this past year and just wipe the slate clean? I think the Browns would like nothing better to hope he has changed but his continued infantile behavior has them concerned and rightly so. To chalk all his behavior up to just being young and having a good time is naive. Many 21 year olds have had a good time without being arrested, kicked out of a football academy and suspended by the NCAA. 

He's 21 and if you weren't naive at 21 then good for you, you're one of few who weren't. Everyone has fun and good times in different ways, but if you think many don't without being arrested, kicked out of something or doing something they probably shouldn't have done you might be the one who is being naive. Everyone does something stupid at 21 whether it is something small and silly or something bigger with serious consequences. 

Not many 21 year olds have the microscope on them like Manziel. Yes, he showed up hungover at the academy. Bad decision. That whole autograph thing is a completely different debate in and of itself, but yes, probably another bad decision. I can name several people that have been arrested at a young age for doing, you know, dumb stuff that young people do....and who live completely productive and responsible lives now. We can't wipe the slate clean but we can't continue citing stuff from the past and using it against him when he hasn't done anything irresponsible since he's been in the league, or the months leading up to it. Being in the NFL is a new start for a lot of guys....Honey Badger, Cam Newton, Johnny Manziel...

He's 21 and if you weren't naive at 21 then good for you, you're one of few who weren't. Everyone has fun and good times in different ways, but if you think many don't without being arrested, kicked out of something or doing something they probably shouldn't have done you might be the one who is being naive. Everyone does something stupid at 21 whether it is something small and silly or something bigger with serious consequences. 

To the bolded - Johnny continues to do them though. That is the issue. Once, ok. Twice, um, ok. Three, come on now.

Not many 21 year olds have the microscope on them like Manziel. Yes, he showed up hungover at the academy. Bad decision. That whole autograph thing is a completely different debate in and of itself, but yes, probably another bad decision. I can name several people that have been arrested at a young age for doing, you know, dumb stuff that young people do....and who live completely productive and responsible lives now. We can't wipe the slate clean but we can't continue citing stuff from the past and using it against him when he hasn't done anything irresponsible since he's been in the league, or the months leading up to it. Being in the NFL is a new start for a lot of guys....Honey Badger, Cam Newton, Johnny Manziel...

I am anxious to see how he does in TC and preseason. He will have his work cut out for him to beat out Hoyer but I think he has the goods to challenge for the starting spot if he keeps focused and just stops doing dumb things like the money stack and cell phone. I mean why? Just knuckle down and work. I hate that he keeps giving fuel to the detractors.

I am anxious to see how he does in TC and preseason. He will have his work cut out for him to beat out Hoyer but I think he has the goods to challenge for the starting spot if he keeps focused and just stops doing dumb things like the money stack and cell phone. I mean why? Just knuckle down and work. I hate that he keeps giving fuel to the detractors.

I really think he's doing the money thing to mess with his critics. He knows it'll get people talking and there's nothing wrong with it so he's probably thinking, hell, why not. I don't think he is going to start this year as the coaches seem to really like Hoyer but that is a blessing for him. Sitting on the bench and getting up to the speed of the game will be good for him, and unless Hoyer gets hurt again then it might be a little while before John gets on the field.

To the bolded - Johnny continues to do them though. That is the issue. Once, ok. Twice, um, ok. Three, come on now.

If it affects what he is able to do on the field or it harms him that's something, but if it doesn't then maybe he's learned what he can and can't do exactly. One way or another he's going to learn something out of it. He'll figure out if he can do the same things he did the past two years in the NFL or he'll figure out when moving up a level he will have to change some things. 

He can do what he wants, but red flags are there. He admittedly knew 60% of an easier playbook at A&M, than what the Browns want to run. I can think of things he could be doing to set himself up with the best chance to succeed, that don't involve boozing, and acting like a complete tool. But he can do that, and people can form their own opinions based on what we've been shown. 

Honestly, I'll be rooting for him to get decleated. I give him a 10% shot of being anything like he was in College. 

The kid is a slow learner. If he would stay away from social media his problems would go away...but I'm guessing he likes the attention.

It does seem simple, doesn't it? But I think for those under 25, social media is part of the fabric of their world. They have grown up being very public with their personal lives so when you add celebrity to the equation you get toxic results. I know some athletes are closing their FB, Twitter and Instagram accounts for this very reason and I applaud them as that is not an easy thing to do but necessary for some.

That list is a cause for alarm in terms of his character. I could care less how he plays football. We know he has a ton of raw talent and ability to make great plays but what is between in the ears is in question and has been in question since his college days. He could be doing a lot of things but his penchant for infantile behavior and brushes with the law have his owner concerned understandably. As a QB you are a leader of men. I don't care what your age is or how much money you make.

You could care less how he plays football?. LOL.

Do you realize football is his day job and this is a football forum.

The comical ifs and buts strikes again .

The kid is a slow learner. If he would stay away from social media his problems would go away...but I'm guessing he likes the attention.

You have no idea...

This kid has never ever lived a "normal" life.  In his hometown he was king because daddy had millions, in hi College he was above the law because literally the police would do nothing to him because he starred on the football team.  The press hasn't shown a 1/4 of the crap hes done. (Texas resident with family in Aggieland)

Ha... so many moral authoritarians on here. How about you all live your life and he will live his... when he actually does something that affects others, by all means get up in arms. Until then, lower your horses...

All of this was said about him LAST offseason when he was in college. All he did was go out and be better in every aspect of his passing game. 

Ryan Leaf had problems with DRUGS, prescription pain killers. Johnny Manziel has some champagne and a money phone and he's immediately Ryan Leaf.... haha k den

Meanwhile, here is Joe Haden, partying and drinking champagne and not one person is calling him a bust.

BnjsYkmIQAAVjy0.png

I think a ton of old guys, past their prime, not used to seeing guys like Gronk and Manziel hate it. I also thing Haslam put it perfectly when he said Manziel just needs to be more saavy about what goes on social media. 

I like Haden's Harray Caray glases...they hip....NOT!

This Bud's for YOU!

harry5.png

I'm convinced it all a gimmick at this point. Go ahead and let everybody think there's a schism is their mindset and then...

........waste your talent and blow your opportunity like so many others.

Not a moral authoritarian here...just a guy that wasted some opportunities by fighting the boss in my career.  I learned my lesson..and finally had the best job in the company!!

........waste your talent and blow your opportunity like so many others.

Not a moral authoritarian here...just a guy that wasted some opportunities by fighting the boss in my career.  I learned my lesson..and finally had the best job in the company!!

Lol if I was a GM never would've selected him ,and I don't think he was best QB in the draft.

Lol if I was a GM never would've selected him ,and I don't think he was best QB in the draft.

Saying he will not 'tone it down' to the owner just blows me away....there is confidence, there is cocky, and there is pompous *** Johnny Football.

His knees will be gone the first real opportunity to play.

Saying he will not 'tone it down' to the owner just blows me away....there is confidence, there is cocky, and there is pompous *** Johnny Football.

His knees will be gone the first real opportunity to play.

LIKE !!!! outta those dreaded critters. 

To me, there is a strong comparison between these two:

• Extreme hype
  • Backup
  • More press attention to them rather than the team's starter

Thing with either of these two is that if they aren't your starter, they hurt your team.  To me, Tebow would be on someone's roster if he could get in without having the spotlight on him daily.  If you give Tebow the Jim Sorgi role and no one pays attention to him, he could be a legitimate QB in 3-4 years, at the ripe age of 29?  He has the leader mentality, the athleticism of a Luck or Newton, and the durability and toughness (so far anyway) to take some licks and keep on going.

Problem is, the insurmountable hype that follows him disallows any team from bringing him on as a developmental prospect.  Johnny isn't the wholesome character that Tebow is, but he has the same amount of hype.  If he doesn't succeed early, his career could go a very similar path as Tebow and he could be out of a job with no team willing to take a chance because of the circus of attention that comes with him.

We'll see if Manziel keeps getting the press like Tebow did.  Thing to remember is that Manziel is a first round draft pick and the season hasn't started yet.  

The weird thing with Tebow was that no matter what he did the media kept coming.  He gets traded for a low round draft pick and takes a special team's role with the Jets and the media still can't get over him.  

And I've not quite been able to figure out why.  People say it's because he's openly religious, but Kurt Warner was openly religious and he didn't draw the media attention that Tebow drew even when he (Warner) was leading the greatest show on turf.

If Manziel keeps getting this attention then he really is the same thing as Tebow except in reverse.

But I don't suspect that will be the case.  The NFL has seen quite a few players who had party lifestyles and they seem to be interested in it for 1 year and then after that they just sort of let it go.  Gronk got a lot of coverage for the summer of Gronk and then after that he sort of faded into the background.  

Same here. . . I think Bridgewater will turn out to be that guy.  For me if you are looking at QB prospects I generally would go with the guy with the least question marks and that's Bridgewater.  

The biggest knock on him seems to be "arm strength" which is easily the most overrated aspect of a QB in the NFL.  The guys with the biggest cannons for arms like Cutler and Flacco are only mediocre to above average QB's at best.

Peyton Manning's arm is a noodle right now and he had a record setting year.

Sure it helps to have a strong arm but that ability is so completely overrated that it's ridiculous.  

Same here. . . I think Bridgewater will turn out to be that guy.  For me if you are looking at QB prospects I generally would go with the guy with the least question marks and that's Bridgewater.  

The biggest knock on him seems to be "arm strength" which is easily the most overrated aspect of a QB in the NFL.  The guys with the biggest cannons for arms like Cutler and Flacco are only mediocre to above average QB's at best.

Peyton Manning's arm is a noodle right now and he had a record setting year.

Sure it helps to have a strong arm but that ability is so completely overrated that it's ridiculous.  

Im with you on Bridgewater :thmup:

Ryan Leaf and Kerry Collins hybrid.

Can't wait to see him making headlines for doing dumb stuff.

A great comparison there Bogie. Leaf because JM came into the league with a good college QB resume & Collins because JM loves to party a little too much & his alcohol incidents in college trouble me.  

I will purely judge him for his football skills and time will tell after he plays in NFL.

What he does in his free time is none of our business. 

Did he violate any of the league's or team's off season policies?.

A 21 year old man hangs out with bunch of girls and everyone freaks out. What is he supposed to do, go to the top of a mountain and meditate?.

I don't expect JM to be a saint, but I do expect him to comprehend what being the eventual face of the Browns franchise really means. Right now, he just doesn't get it. 

Yeah, I'll 2nd that BOTT Well said. JM must learn to trade his popularity in for some much needed anonymity. 

We'll see if Manziel keeps getting the press like Tebow did.  Thing to remember is that Manziel is a first round draft pick and the season hasn't started yet.  

The weird thing with Tebow was that no matter what he did the media kept coming.  He gets traded for a low round draft pick and takes a special team's role with the Jets and the media still can't get over him.  

And I've not quite been able to figure out why.  People say it's because he's openly religious, but Kurt Warner was openly religious and he didn't draw the media attention that Tebow drew even when he (Warner) was leading the greatest show on turf.

If Manziel keeps getting this attention then he really is the same thing as Tebow except in reverse.

But I don't suspect that will be the case.  The NFL has seen quite a few players who had party lifestyles and they seem to be interested in it for 1 year and then after that they just sort of let it go.  Gronk got a lot of coverage for the summer of Gronk and then after that he sort of faded into the background.  

The thing to remember is Manziel is a 1st round pick... erm, Tebow was also.

Tebow was a 'winner' in college... so was Manziel.

Personally, i don't think the media will ever give up on Manziel.  He's a big story regardless.  There is simply so much hype at the QB position, and when you couple that with the attention these guys got in college, it turns into a giant storm when they go pro.  Gronk faded to the background as he has been injured quite a bit lately, so there is not much sense reporting on a guy who has no chance of playing.  But as long as Manziel is a backup, the story will always be about when he is going to become the starter.