Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A few read-option plays being added to the offense?

Dustin

Luck was quick to run in both Titans games last year, and it was devastating to the defense at times.

^Exactly^

Then the Defense is forced to keep a LB in the box to spy on him, and that leaves Allen or Fleener (or whoever) a clean look. 

Either scenario is devastating. 

They'd probably go low on him, which could risk his knees. Him sliding is smart, getting out of bounds is better. But yeah, let the dude run sometimes. Whether that's scrambles, bootlegs, straight keepers or the occasional read option doesn't really matter to me. Either way, it adds another threat to our offense. Luck was quick to run in both Titans games last year, and it was devastating to the defense at times.

That's true, or they'd horse collar him cause they're not taking him down easy. Seems like they're being taught to go low now with the rule changes.

Luck can do this with his legs......

luck88.gif

LET THE MAN RUN!! 

You have to be careful not to over do it and I am not so much talking from an injury standpoint that's always going to be there.  I mean in terms of it being effective.  I re-watched (okay well watched the TV broadcast for the first time because I was at the game) the other day and Mayock pointed out that was the first time Luck had kept the ball on that play call all year and that's what made it so effective.  If Luck starts doing it every week or even every other week or so it's going to be less effective because teams are going to prepare for it.  In this case I think you have to give Pep some credit for keeping something up his sleeve for the playoffs and pulling it out at the perfect time. 

You have to be careful not to over do it and I am not so much talking from an injury standpoint that's always going to be there.  I mean in terms of it being effective.  I re-watched (okay well watched the TV broadcast for the first time because I was at the game) the other day and Mayock pointed out that was the first time Luck had kept the ball on that play call all year and that's what made it so effective.  If Luck starts doing it every week or even every other week or so it's going to be less effective because teams are going to prepare for it.  In this case I think you have to give Pep some credit for keeping something up his sleeve for the playoffs and pulling it out at the perfect time. 

Agreed about not doing it all the time, but the beauty of it is, if teams start to try and counter it, they leave a LB in to spy on him, and that frees up someone else (like Allen or Fleener) and KAPOW nice chunk of yardage gained that way. 

Either way, it's win win. 

Agreed about not doing it all the time, but the beauty of it is, if teams start to try and counter it, they leave a LB in to spy on him, and that frees up someone else (like Allen or Fleener) and KAPOW nice chunk of yardage gained that way. 

Either way, it's win win. 

Well assuming Fleener doesn't drop it...that's a joke. 

To be honest Fleener played very well last year and I think him and Allen are going to be the tightend combo in the league either this year or the very near future.  Honestly Allen getting hurt might have been the best thing to happen to Fleener because he had no choice but to step up at that point.

:slaphead: It's also text book for a fake hand-off and text book for a QB faking everyone out and making a play based on the tendencies he studied prior to the game and saw during the game.

Argue all you want, but if the LB sits, I highly doubt he takes off.

Part of the reason that play worked so well, is it's the first time the Colts/Luck have ever run it in his two years here.

Now we have Colts fans screaming for Luck more.

Didn't anyone learn what can happen when QB's run more?    Hello, RG3!  

I like Luck running as much as the next guy.    But sparingly.    Use it just enough to make defenses alert and honest.   But not enough to put Luck in harm's way unnecessarily.     So, a few times a year.    But not a few times a game.

Part of the reason that play worked so well, is it's the first time the Colts/Luck have ever run it in his two years here.

Now we have Colts fans screaming for Luck more.

Didn't anyone learn what can happen when QB's run more?    Hello, RG3!  

I like Luck running as much as the next guy.    But sparingly.    Use it just enough to make defenses alert and honest.   But not enough to put Luck in harm's way unnecessarily.     So, a few times a year.    But not a few times a game.

RG3 is like 150lbs soaking wet and wearing boots. Not the greatest comparison. 

Again, Luck is a lot closer to Cam Newton (stats/size) and Cam runs it constantly. 

That's true, or they'd horse collar him cause they're not taking him down easy. Seems like they're being taught to go low now with the rule changes.

Luck was hit low by a DB late in the season (Titans maybe) and appeared to take sliding more seriously afterwards lol.

I really wish the league would have approved reviews for personal foul penalties as I think it would allow defensive players more freedom when tackling. As it is defenders often prefer to go low even for no other reason than they don't want to risk getting a flag.

I remember that we ran probably 1 read-option play all of last season (Luck's 4th down keeper against KC in the Wild-card round). Anyway, I was looking at the OTA picture from yesterday and couldn't help but notice a few plays that looked like read-option plays.

Ex. 1

temp2014_0610_practice_016--nfl_mezz_128

temp2014_0610_practice_018--nfl_mezz_128

Ex #1 Looks like Luck is reading the DE and then pulls the ball down (these pics were taken in quick succession)

Ex.2

temp2014_0610_practice_019--nfl_mezz_128

temp2014_0610_practice_020--nfl_mezz_128

temp2014_0610_practice_021--nfl_mezz_128

Ex. 2 has Chandler Harnish running what looks to be a read-option play.

Anyway, thought this was just something to keep an eye out for during the regular season.

Sheesh, guy looks jacked.......

RG3 is like 150lbs soaking wet and wearing boots. Not the greatest comparison. 

Again, Luck is a lot closer to Cam Newton (stats/size) and Cam runs it constantly. 

RG3 is 220+, so the comparison is not far off.     I have no idea where 150 came from?

Luck is closer to Newton -- great.     I just would not want to use him the same way. 

RG3 is 220+, so the comparison is not far off.     I have no idea where 150 came from?

Luck is closer to Newton -- great.     I just would not want to use him the same way. 

Exaggerations aside, I think the point was that Griffin has a completely different body type than Luck. Griffin goes flailing every time he gets touched, while Luck shrugs off contact like a running back. 

This section of a Grantland article expresses it very colorfully:

There’s one area of Griffin’s game that truly concerns me, though. And if we believe Mike Shanahan, it was also his biggest worry: Griffin takes too many hits. More accurately, he takes too many big hits. Even more accurately, Griffin, more than any other player I’ve seen, seems preternaturally gifted at taking the biggest hit imaginable in almost every circumstance. It sounds like hyperbole, but in nearly every game there are three, four, five, and sometimes six or more times that Griffin goes flying as though some Wile E. Coyote explosive detonated in his face.

There are manymanymanymany examples of Griffin getting lit up, either resulting in injury or coming dangerously close. For Griffin, it’s partly about the read option, but not entirely. Eagles head coach Chip Kelly has a mnemonic for quarterbacks when they run the ball: “touchdown, first down, get down.” The idea is that the quarterback takes what the defense gives him — but absolutely no more.

“If [the quarterback has] open grass and there’s nobody in front of you, hopefully you’ll run all the way,” Kelly explained this summer. “If you can go 60 yards and run it in, God bless you. We’re not telling them to hook slide. We’re just telling them that when contact is imminent, our guys are not 250-pound bowling balls. They’re going to run you over.”

Griffin not only gets hit in the pocket and during read-option runs, but he also seems to find new and creative ways to take a beating.

ibcyt73dTP4xxb.gif

It sounds harsh — and a little ridiculous — to say Griffin can improve as a quarterback by not running into walls or allowing himself to be tossed around like a rag doll when he’s trying to throw blocks on reverses, but it’s true. Hits like these have a cumulative effect that will diminish Griffin’s ability to play quarterback. As Kelly noted, quarterbacks “have to understand the best ability is durability. They have to go out and play the next snap.”

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/what-really-went-wrong-with-robert-griffin-iii/

I'm not necessarily pining for more read option. That's just one way of using the QBs legs. I'm more interested in seeing Luck run the ball when there's green in front of him, like the article says. Last year, with a non-existent rushing attack and inexperienced receivers, too often Luck would get pressured before someone came open, and rather than bail out, he'd keep going through his progressions looking for someone to throw to. Then he'd get sacked, or hit while throwing it; to me, that's no better than getting hit while scrambling. I'd rather see his clock speed up just a little when those situations occur.

Of course, if things go the way we hope this year, Luck won't have to deal with the kind of pressure he's faced the past two seasons. Hopefully, we'll have some semblance of a run game, and the protection will be better. But I still think it's good to use his legs as a weapon to stress the defense. Doesn't matter if that's read option or some other form of QB run.

Exaggerations aside, I think the point was that Griffin has a completely different body type than Luck. Griffin goes flailing every time he gets touched, while Luck shrugs off contact like a running back. 

This section of a Grantland article expresses it very colorfully:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/what-really-went-wrong-with-robert-griffin-iii/

I'm not necessarily pining for more read option. That's just one way of using the QBs legs. I'm more interested in seeing Luck run the ball when there's green in front of him, like the article says. Last year, with a non-existent rushing attack and inexperienced receivers, too often Luck would get pressured before someone came open, and rather than bail out, he'd keep going through his progressions looking for someone to throw to. Then he'd get sacked, or hit while throwing it; to me, that's no better than getting hit while scrambling. I'd rather see his clock speed up just a little when those situations occur.

Of course, if things go the way we hope this year, Luck won't have to deal with the kind of pressure he's faced the past two seasons. Hopefully, we'll have some semblance of a run game, and the protection will be better. But I still think it's good to use his legs as a weapon to stress the defense. Doesn't matter if that's read option or some other form of QB run.

For whatever it's worth,  Luck was willing to run in college when faced with no better options.

It might just be that he's being told -- don't run,  keep looking for another option.

Either way,  when it comes to planned runs, designed run,  for me,  the fewer the better.   Make them count.

Running out of the pocket when no one comes open is another matter, and I'm fine with that.    That comes with the position.

Exactly!! Deceptively fast! He had that safety beat as well. 

I don't care if it's read option, A-doption, or just letting him run with it, LET LUCK RUN!! 

i cant believe it,he had him beat he should went all the way!! like the run vs oakland 

I kind of disagree with the idea that letting your QB run puts him in harm's way. Or I should say, I don't think it's any more dangerous for the QB to get hit in the pocket than it is for him to get hit while running with the ball. If he gets hit in the pocket, there's a possibility that he's buried under three or four 300 pound linemen. If he gets hit on a read option, he's getting tackled by one guy, if he gets tackled at all, because he can still slide or get out of bounds. 

I agree that it should be done sparingly, but the idea that it's dangerous to let your QB run -- especially a guy built like Luck -- is kind of outdated, to me.

It's a read-option when the 49ers run it...

I am trying to look that play up on youtube and came across this:

I LOVE GOING TO COLTS GAMES LIKE THIS!!!!  video gave me goosebumps while sitting at home even.

ahh the memories, I was in the video, but you cant see me because I'm behind the colts bench. What an amazing game, not sure i'll ever live that one up.

I was exaggerating, but you know what I mean. He's just a smaller frame than Luck or Newton.

Don't get me wrong, RG3 is alot faster (as this weird 40 time gif shows) but RG3 is built for speed, not to sustain hits like the other can and have taken. I'm not saying let Luck get blasted every other play, but I am saying don't waste the guys wheels. 

rg3.gif

A little OT, but he coulda scored there, was starting to pull away from the safety. There was no one in front of him, even Da'Rick didn;t expect him to slide there.

Yeah but not really.  Luck already had a full head of steam at that point and the safety was still building up his speed from turning and going into chase mode.  Luck is fast...very fast for a QB but there aren't many Safeties or CB's that he's going to beat in a foot race.  I think he smartly went down at just the right time. :)

Yeah but not really.  Luck already had a full head of steam at that point and the safety was still building up his speed from turning and going into chase mode.  Luck is fast...very fast for a QB but there aren't many Safeties or CB's that he's going to beat in a foot race.  I think he smartly went down at just the right time. :)

I think there is a video that I've seen from Luck's rookie training camp where Pagano is telling him to slide and not to even try running people over.  

At the very least there would have been contact if he hadn't slid.