Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Joe Haden signs 5 year deal with Browns

CheezyColt

Wow, these CBs are making a killing!  Peterson said he was worth more than the Sherman contract as well.  Are the large contracts due to the importance of stopping the pass in today's league, or the projected increase in salary cap? 

Party from stopping the pass, partly from ego, and a majority from the fact sports players in general are the most over paid people in the world that make way way waaaaaaaay more money than they should.

Only to people who don't understand how economics work. 

Partly due to salary cap increase, partly due to increased passing.

But also I have to think that the success of the Legion of Boom in shutting down everyone not named TY Hilton played a part in it.  

We may be progressing to where the 2nd highest paid player on a team is not the LT but the team's #1 CB

Can someone explain to me how "Injury money" works? Does he only get that in the event he gets injured? You would think being that it's 23 million dollars the writer would try to explain what the heck it is?

I am fairly certain it is a 22M guaranteed deal, not 45. He would only get the additional 23 if he is injured and out of the game. 

The Browns are making a long-term commitment to Pro Bowl cornerback Joe Haden.

Haden, who has been with the Browns since they chose him with the seventh overall pick in the 2010 NFL draft, has agreed to a new contract that will keep him in Cleveland through the 2019 season. A league source tells PFT that the deal includes a $14 million signing bonus, $22 million fully guaranteed at signing and another $23 million guaranteed for injury. The signing bonus, the full guarantee and the amount guaranteed for injury all surpass the deal that Richard Sherman just signed with Seattle.

It’s a big move for the Browns, and one that should bolster the optimism in Cleveland generated by the Browns’ draft, which netted cornerback Justin Gilbert and quarterback Johnny Manziel in the first round.

Haden has played well in Cleveland since Day One, and although he’ll be adjusting to a new defense with new coach Mike Pettine, the Browns apparently have no doubt that he’s one of the players they want to build their team around. He’s a talented player, and having just turned 25 last month, he should have many good years left in Cleveland.

Despite the circus that was the start of their offseason, and the recent report that star receiver Josh Gordon is facing a potential drug suspension, there are a lot of reasons to like what the Browns are doing right now. Getting Haden locked up is one more reason to think the Browns might finally be building a winner.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/13/browns-joe-haden-agree-to-new-contract-through-2019/ 

Can someone explain to me how "Injury money" works? Does he only get that in the event he gets injured? You would think being that it's 23 million dollars the writer would try to explain what the heck it is?

I am fairly certain it is a 22M guaranteed deal, not 45. He would only get the additional 23 if he is injured and out of the game. 

Haden, who has been with the Browns since they chose him with the seventh overall pick in the 2010 NFL draft, has agreed to a new contract that will keep him in Cleveland through the 2019 season. A league source tells PFT that the deal includes a $14 million signing bonus, $22 million fully guaranteed at signing and another $23 million guaranteed for injury. The signing bonus, the full guarantee and the amount guaranteed for injury all surpass the deal that Richard Sherman just signed with Seattle.

It’s a big move for the Browns, and one that should bolster the optimism in Cleveland generated by the Browns’ draft, which netted cornerback Justin Gilbert and quarterback Johnny Manziel in the first round.

Haden has played well in Cleveland since Day One, and although he’ll be adjusting to a new defense with new coach Mike Pettine, the Browns apparently have no doubt that he’s one of the players they want to build their team around. He’s a talented player, and having just turned 25 last month, he should have many good years left in Cleveland.

Despite the circus that was the start of their offseason, and the recent report that star receiver Josh Gordon is facing a potential drug suspension, there are a lot of reasons to like what the Browns are doing right now. Getting Haden locked up is one more reason to think the Browns might finally be building a winner.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/13/browns-joe-haden-agree-to-new-contract-through-2019/ 

I think he would get that if he was cut with a failed physical designation. 

That's what I'm thinking, so it's really 22m in guaranteed money, not 45. 

It's a conditional guarantee. Everyone reports guaranteed money differently. I think it's pushed by agents, but injury guarantees are technically "guaranteed."

It's a conditional guarantee. Everyone reports guaranteed money differently. I think it's pushed by agents, but injury guarantees are technically "guaranteed."

Huh, alright then. 

??? Who's list are you looking at? Haden is a fantastic corner

I guess I'm exaggerating a bit, but I'd definitely take Sherman, Revis, Peterson, Davis, Grimes, and Flowers over him. I will admit though, he regularly takes on harder assignments than your average #1 corner.

Dang this is confusing

A league source tells PFT that the deal includes a $14 million signing bonus, $22 million fully guaranteed at signing and another $23 million guaranteed for injury. 

What is the difference between the $14 million 'signing' bonus and the $22 million fully guaranteed at signing?

I think the injury guarantee should be called something else

apparently, still not the biggest contract although I don't know what guanteed new money is

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10926263/joe-haden-cleveland-browns-agrees-contract-extension

Although Haden received more guaranteed money than Sherman, his contract is for a year longer, meaning Sherman's agreement is still bigger when it comes to guaranteed new money.

Dang this is confusing

What is the difference between the $14 million 'signing' bonus and the $22 million fully guaranteed at signing?

I think the bonus he just gets right away, the guaranteed money gets spread out over the life of the contract and the injury money is just that, if he gets injured.

I think, I'm not 100% certain. This is why I would never get upset about an All Pro's contract, even the most die hard fans don't understand the complex contracts and the economics of them. 

Dang this is confusing

apparently, still not the biggest contract although I don't know what guanteed new money is

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10926263/joe-haden-cleveland-browns-agrees-contract-extension

I only fully committed to wrapping my mind around this junk a couple years ago. It can be very confusing.

The signing bonus is the money he gets paid when he signs. His base salary for 2014 is now fully guaranteed as well (it wouldn't have been until the start of the season), and probably his 2015 base salary as well, to get to $22-23m, whatever the actual number is. But he doesn't get that upfront, it gets paid in 17 weekly installments over the course of the season.

The "new money" refers to the five year extension that kicks in as of 2015, and includes the signing bonus that he gets paid now.

And I agree, they should refer to the "injury guarantee" in a different way. But I think agents leak this information in a way that makes the contract sound better than it actually is. $45m guaranteed sounds better than $23m guaranteed.

I think the bonus he just gets right away, the guaranteed money gets spread out over the life of the contract and the injury money is just that, if he gets injured.

I think, I'm not 100% certain. This is why I would never get upset about an All Pro's contract, even the most die hard fans don't understand the complex contracts and the economics of them. 

As I understand it he gets

$14 million just for putting pen to paper

$22 million ove the 5 year contract

but if he gets injured.........that $22 million is replaced by the $23 million injury guarantee

So, he's worth more injured than playing by 1 million

Total value of the contract is 36 - 37 million

Unless of course he gets injured in the last month of his contract..........unless that injury payment is offset by the contract payments already made

I think there's just a lot of emphasis on guaranteed and lot of variations on the use of the word guarantee

I agree with you that this is not a $68 million contract or even a $45 million contract

The "new money" refers to the five year extension that kicks in as of 2015, and includes the signing bonus that he gets paid now.

my head just exploded.This is why I am not a financial or a contract person

If he gets a signing bonus now for 2015 then if he gets injured, there's probably some math to do to figure out what he's still owed

my head just exploded.This is why I am not a financial or a contract person

If he gets a signing bonus now for 2015 then if he gets injured, there's probably some math to do to figure out what he's still owed

The injury guarantees are tricky. Insurance comes into play, etc. It's not fun, but once it's all laid out, it makes sense. All the details and the yearly breakdown haven't been released yet.

Party from stopping the pass, partly from ego, and a majority from the fact sports players in general are the most over paid people in the world that make way way waaaaaaaay more money than they should.

Why are you watching them play?. Stop watching games as a fan. They won't get paid.

It's utterly disgusting to hear comments like this. Athletes deserve every penny they make. They have special talent and they work hard at it. Not to mention, they impact lives of many people which is priceless.

You can't be serious. Even with this contract we have top 5 most salary cap in the league. 

This new contract doesn't kick in til next year. I haven't seen the details, but figure on $8-10m for a Year 1 cap hit, at least. And then you have your two first rounders (you're welcome), and still some pretty big hits from other guys. This Haden deal isn't hurting, as they'll still probably be at $105-110m total payroll, and the cap should be nearly $140m. Plus you'll probably be able to rollover $15m or so, by the time all is done. 

So yeah, you'll probably be in good cap shape still. But you have some FAs coming up, also. Sheard, Cameron, Rubin, Pinkston... what are you gonna do with Hoyer? Other questions as well. 

This new contract doesn't kick in til next year. I haven't seen the details, but figure on $8-10m for a Year 1 cap hit, at least. And then you have your two first rounders (you're welcome), and still some pretty big hits from other guys. This Haden deal isn't hurting, as they'll still probably be at $105-110m total payroll, and the cap should be nearly $140m. Plus you'll probably be able to rollover $15m or so, by the time all is done. 

So yeah, you'll probably be in good cap shape still. But you have some FAs coming up, also. Sheard, Cameron, Rubin, Pinkston... what are you gonna do with Hoyer? Other questions as well. 

Sheard- It really depends on what Mingo does this year, if he's good/great Sheard will walk.

Cameron - Again, it depends on his production this year, one decent year and he wants a big contract? eh, I dunno

Rubin- Probably wouldn't demand more than a league average contract for a starter.

Pinkston - Likely walk

Hoyer, who knows