Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jimmy Haslem tells Johnny football to act like a back up. What?

Hoosierdome93

Can you blame him really? OK, yes you can....but not for the reason you are saying.

This kid is a total embarrassment to their organization with his behavior, but the Browns asked for this by drafting him. Even after falling to the 22nd pick, he can't walk out on stage without doing his fingers to that money thing. He's incredibly arrogant and thinks he is God, but the Browns asked for this! They drafted him when everyone else was passing on him cause they know he has bust written all over him. Just look at the huge party he threw not even 24 hours after he was picked.

The Browns are in for a major hilarious circus show, and Jimmy Haslem is a joke of a criminal that might end up in jail real soon if he don't find a way to bribe his way out of it like all the other rich criminals in this country do.

You are going to win in the end with Trent Richardson since the pick used to get Tim Couch 2.0 came from that trade. Trust me, Jim Irsay is the coolest and luckiest owner ever. He will win in the end with this, he always does. And for the record, Irsay is a lot cooler than that criminal Haslem who I pray ends up in jail.

Jimmy Haslem owner of the Browns tells Johnny Manziel to act like a back up that this isn't Hollywood.

Now we know what's wrong with TRich and can fix it. Where is Tim Couch? Maybe he can be saved too.

did this really need two topics?

And the drama begins already. They want Johnny Football to be Johnny Manziel. Problem is they drafted Johnny Football. Now they wanna "fix" him in terms of character. All this does is confirm that they really did look at other QB's at the spot and weren't all completely sold on Manziel.

There's stories of Favre routinely getting so drunk that he had to be carried out of the bar his rookie year. The owner is probably just trying trying to establish some ground rules and set him straight. I think if the Browns sit Johnny Manziel for a year, that isn't the worst thing for him. I hope the kid grows up and is smart enough to realize what he doesn't know but only time will tell. Let's just not write him off yet.

Can you blame him really? OK, yes you can....but not for the reason you are saying.

This kid is a total embarrassment to their organization with his behavior, but the Browns asked for this by drafting him. Even after falling to the 22nd pick, he can't walk out on stage without doing his fingers to that money thing. He's incredibly arrogant and thinks he is God, but the Browns asked for this! They drafted him when everyone else was passing on him cause they know he has bust written all over him. Just look at the huge party he threw not even 24 hours after he was picked.

The Browns are in for a major hilarious circus show, and Jimmy Haslem is a joke of a criminal that might end up in jail real soon if he don't find a way to bribe his way out of it like all the other rich criminals in this country do.

You are going to win in the end with Trent Richardson since the pick used to get Tim Couch 2.0 came from that trade. Trust me, Jim Irsay is the coolest and luckiest owner ever. He will win in the end with this, he always does. And for the record, Irsay is a lot cooler than that criminal Haslem who I pray ends up in jail.

I think that money thing was a joke, a way of him showing the world he can laugh at himself.  i didnt take it as arrogant at all.  I actually think it was more of a nod and thank you to the people that were supporting him, judging by the look on his face.  He wasnt all smiles and nose up kind of thing. 

Jimmy Haslem owner of the Browns tells Johnny Manziel to act like a back up that this isn't Hollywood.

Now we know what's wrong with TRich and can fix it. Where is Tim Couch? Maybe he can be saved too.

Haslem is right.  Manziel has the tools to be a good QB in the league, but all the concerns were upstairs in his head.  The concern is he is to much of a partier to put them time and effort in to be a great QB in this league.  Is he going to want to stay late and go over game film again or go out with his friends to the new club in Cleveland.  Will he want to go out partying it up in the new cities that he goes to instead of getting rest before the big game?

If he can grow up and leave the partying for the offseason then he could be a great QB, but I really doubt that and I imagine he will flame out in a few seasons.

Haslem is right.  Manziel has the tools to be a good QB in the league, but all the concerns were upstairs in his head.  The concern is he is to much of a partier to put them time and effort in to be a great QB in this league.  Is he going to want to stay late and go over game film again or go out with his friends to the new club in Cleveland.  Will he want to go out partying it up in the new cities that he goes to instead of getting rest before the big game?

If he can grow up and leave the partying for the offseason then he could be a great QB, but I really doubt that and I imagine he will flame out in a few seasons.

Is there a history of him going out partying during the football season in college?  I honestly don't know I'm really just asking, because if so that would be an ENORMOUS red flag to me. 

At the same time, these kids in college are young...  We were all young once, liked to party and probably made a couple bad decisions, but thats just a part of life and maturing into adulthood.  

There is a time and place for partying, drinking, etc... as long as hes choosing the right times to do those things, then it shouldnt be a problem.

It reminds of when those TMZ shots of Gronk were released from the offseason of him at parties with his brothers drinking some beer and having a good time, there were people on the Pats board that were calling for him to be cut/traded and how hes irresponsible.. a lot of them, which is HILARIOUS in hindsight, were comparing him to Hernandez who they thought was being a role model citizen just because he went to Brady's mansion in CA one offseason.. suggesting that Hernandez is more mature and responsible because hes putting in "extra time" in the offseason while Gronk was just binge drinking.

The media and fans love drama and love to exaggerate things.  Everything needs to be put into proper context before you can really pass any sort of judgement on it at all, and in cases where there is a young guy whos enjoying himself during his time off to me is not a red flag for bad judgement or behavior.

I think that money thing was a joke, a way of him showing the world he can laugh at himself.  i didnt take it as arrogant at all.  I actually think it was more of a nod and thank you to the people that were supporting him, judging by the look on his face.  He wasnt all smiles and nose up kind of thing. 

Ehh I don't know I think he's self absorbed and immature.  

What do QB's normally do after they get drafted.  I think most of them want to get the play book in their hands and get to work. 

What does Manziel do??? PARTY!!!!!

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2014/05/10/manziel-partied-till-wee-hours-after-draft-pick/

This guy seems to be to be Ryan Leaf 2.0.  Too full of himself, loves to party.  All that's missing is a meltdown in front of the media and finally a total meltdown on the field.  Those may be coming soon.

Manziel's saving grace is that the Browns have Hoyer and it sounds like they would rather start Hoyer and have Manziel sit and learn a bit.  So perhaps he will learn to tone it down before he blows his chance on the field and perhaps sitting will humble him a bit.

Good Luck Cleveland you got what you are asking for with him.  

Is there a history of him going out partying during the football season in college?  I honestly don't know I'm really just asking, because if so that would be an ENORMOUS red flag to me. 

At the same time, these kids in college are young...  We were all young once, liked to party and probably made a couple bad decisions, but thats just a part of life and maturing into adulthood.  

There is a time and place for partying, drinking, etc... as long as hes choosing the right times to do those things, then it shouldnt be a problem.

It reminds of when those TMZ shots of Gronk were released from the offseason of him at parties with his brothers drinking some beer and having a good time, there were people on the Pats board that were calling for him to be cut/traded and how hes irresponsible.. a lot of them, which is HILARIOUS in hindsight, were comparing him to Hernandez who they thought was being a role model citizen just because he went to Brady's mansion in CA one offseason.. suggesting that Hernandez is more mature and responsible because hes putting in "extra time" in the offseason while Gronk was just binge drinking.

The media and fans love drama and love to exaggerate things.  Everything needs to be put into proper context before you can really pass any sort of judgement on it at all, and in cases where there is a young guy whos enjoying himself during his time off to me is not a red flag for bad judgement or behavior.

Here is the problem though.  QB's are held to a different standard, pure and simple.  As I've said before, not many people care if Gronk likes to party.  Why?  Because Tom Brady is the leader of the Patriots, not Gronk.  Tom Brady is the face of the Patriots, not Gronk.  (And for the record Belichek told Gronk to tone it down a bit when he came back to camp after "The summer of Gronk")

QB is a natural leadership position and so more then any other position your teammates need to respect you.  If he wants to be a starter he's got to go into camp and earn the respect of 30 y/o guys who are married with kids.  And the partying really hurts that.

On top of that he needs to become the face of the franchise.  

I'm not accusing Manziel of being a criminal, but here's the reality. . . this isn't behavior you want out of your franchise QB.   

Here is the problem though.  QB's are held to a different standard, pure and simple.  As I've said before, not many people care if Gronk likes to party.  Why?  Because Tom Brady is the leader of the Patriots, not Gronk.  Tom Brady is the face of the Patriots, not Gronk.  (And for the record Belichek told Gronk to tone it down a bit when he came back to camp after "The summer of Gronk")

QB is a natural leadership position and so more then any other position your teammates need to respect you.  If he wants to be a starter he's got to go into camp and earn the respect of 30 y/o guys who are married with kids.  And the partying really hurts that.

On top of that he needs to become the face of the franchise.  

I'm not accusing Manziel of being a criminal, but here's the reality. . . this isn't behavior you want out of your franchise QB.   

I agree with you, no one on that team will respect or follow him if hes still in his college frat party mode, especially during a season.   I just don't think Manziel will take getting drafted into the NFL that lightly and still be partying, etc when hes suppose to be at OTAs, Training Camp, etc battling for a roster spot.

There is nothing wrong with going to a party and enjoying yourself, even if you're a QB.  Its just a matter of context, you hope that he got all of that out of his system and is all business during the active football season.  As long as he can be all business during the season and save the partying until the offseason, I don't think his teammates will mind at all.

I think that Haslam is just doing this to try and motivate Manziel and remind him that hes not earned anything yet, and that just because a lot of people know his name that he'll still have to actually earn a starting QB job.  Fame usually comes as a result of your performance and play on the field, but with guys like Manziel they have the fame before playing a single snap in the NFL.  He didn't get to where he is on accident, it took a lot of hard work and dedication, so he just needs to stay disciplined and continue that, but at an even higher level in the NFL.  Can he manage to do that?  We'll have to wait and see!

p.s. i think the "summer of gronk" was made bigger than what it actually was because the media were obsessed with following him around and taking pictures of him.  In reality, he really didn't do all that much, he was just being followed around and put into the media spotlight so everyone made a big deal out of it.  I think what Belichick said when Gronk referred to him talking about it was just being mindful of trying to stay out of the media spotlight as much as possible because it creates distractions.

I see no fault from haslem. the kid has proved nothing in this league and hes a walking media circus. he needs to tone it down and actually earn recongization from his play instead of his primodonna persona

What do QB's normally do after they get drafted.  I think most of them want to get the play book in their hands and get to work. 

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2014/05/10/manziel-partied-till-wee-hours-after-draft-pick/

This guy seems to be to be Ryan Leaf 2.0.  Too full of himself, loves to party.  All that's missing is a meltdown in front of the media and finally a total meltdown on the field.  Those may be coming soon.

Manziel's saving grace is that the Browns have Hoyer and it sounds like they would rather start Hoyer and have Manziel sit and learn a bit.  So perhaps he will learn to tone it down before he blows his chance on the field and perhaps sitting will humble him a bit.

I don't have a problem with a guy partying the night he gets drafted.  I mean, I wouldn't celebrate it the way he did, but I'd celebrate it nonetheless.  But what I do have a problem with is things like what he allegedly did at the Manning Passing Camp.  I don't think there's definitive proof that he didn't show up because he was hungover, but he was supposedly spotted at a bar early Friday morning and then missed his coaching session.  When you're in a leadership role, and you can't even show up without the courtesy of a phone call, that's a HUGE red flag. 

I'm with you, Manziel absolutely has to tone it down or he'll meet a similar fate to Leaf.  You don't just come in and own the place.  You're a QB, there's bigger expectations out of you as a first round QB, both on the field and off the field.  Pretty tough to earn the respect of your teammates when your out in the wee hours of the morning actingl ike a college kid when you've got responsibilities the next morning.

Yeah, I'm sure every QB grabs the playbook the night they get drafted. Ridiculous. Haslam just told the kid to "act like the backup", be humble, learn the playbook.....This is blown entirely out of proportion. I'm not used to having a guy on the Browns attract so much attention. Honestly, I had forgotten how ridiculous people can be when they don't like a guy. You don't have to like him, but bashing him for celebrating getting drafted? LOL!

To the Manning academy point:

I'm not saying it isn't something to raise your eye brow, because it most certainly is but when you watch the games....he is the clear vocal leader of what was a pretty good Aggie football team, you can't lead other men like that if they think you're a flaky party guy. Johnny Football is all in all the time. He not only got better than the previous year, he got a LOT better than the previous year even without the manning camp. 

You have to remember it was an optional passing camp and if it had been any other player, not only would they NOT have kicked him (think about it, kicking Manziel out was a HUGE publicity grab for the not very well known manning passing camp) out, but it wouldn't have even been news if it were Aaron Murray that overslept. Cam Newton was stealing laptops, getting paid to play.....didn't matter, he's still good.

I said it before the draft, I wanted either Manziel or Bridgewater. I'm excited, the kid is going to be at worst average and at best a star. I knew when they brought in Kyle Shannahan we had to want him. 

"Now we know what's wrong with Trich?"

lmao what are you even talking about? How does Trich relate to this matter? Oh man I cannot wait to hear this one. 

Yeah, I'm sure every QB grabs the playbook the night they get drafted. Ridiculous. Haslam just told the kid to "act like the backup", be humble, learn the playbook.....This is blown entirely out of proportion. I'm not used to having a guy on the Browns attract so much attention. Honestly, I had forgotten how ridiculous people can be when they don't like a guy. You don't have to like him, but bashing him for celebrating getting drafted? LOL!

I'm not saying it isn't something to raise your eye brow, because it most certainly is but when you watch the games....he is the clear vocal leader of what was a pretty good Aggie football team, you can't lead other men like that if they think you're a flaky party guy. Johnny Football is all in all the time. He not only got better than the previous year, he got a LOT better than the previous year even without the manning camp. 

You have to remember it was an optional passing camp and if it had been any other player, not only would they NOT have kicked him (think about it, kicking Manziel out was a HUGE publicity grab for the not very well known manning passing camp) out, but it wouldn't have even been news if it were Aaron Murray that overslept. Cam Newton was stealing laptops, getting paid to play.....didn't matter, he's still good.

Can't tell if serious or not......but a ton of current college QBs and even a few NFL players have gone to Manning's academy.

I don't have a problem with a guy partying the night he gets drafted.  I mean, I wouldn't celebrate it the way he did, but I'd celebrate it nonetheless.  But what I do have a problem with is things like what he allegedly did at the Manning Passing Camp.  I don't think there's definitive proof that he didn't show up because he was hungover, but he was supposedly spotted at a bar early Friday morning and then missed his coaching session.  When you're in a leadership role, and you can't even show up without the courtesy of a phone call, that's a HUGE red flag. 

I'm with you, Manziel absolutely has to tone it down or he'll meet a similar fate to Leaf.  You don't just come in and own the place.  You're a QB, there's bigger expectations out of you as a first round QB, both on the field and off the field.  Pretty tough to earn the respect of your teammates when your out in the wee hours of the morning actingl ike a college kid when you've got responsibilities the next morning.

I also noted that the official reason given by his dad for Manziel being sent home was "dehydration".  That's exactly what a hangover is!!!

As far as him celebrating, it wouldn't be a big deal if his celebration where a little bit more low key.  But the reality is that he's clearly eating up his fame here.  Lots of drinks, girls at the table.  High key enough of a celebration for people to take notice. . .   It's not like he just went out to a nice dinner with his family and ordered a drink or 2.  

Too in love with the fame that football brings him.  

Sounds like a guy who could get a mulit-million dollar signing bonus and blow through the whole thing before training camp.  

I said it before the draft, I wanted either Manziel or Bridgewater. I'm excited, the kid is going to be at worst average and at best a star. I knew when they brought in Kyle Shannahan we had to want him. 

lmao what are you even talking about? How does Trich relate to this matter? Oh man I cannot wait to hear this one. 

I agree with the part about being a leader.  He does show the ability to be a vocal leader and carried the Aggies when they needed him.  And that's really why I think that he can be that guy, he just needs to be a bit more mature in his decision making.  The kids 22 or whatever, it'll come in time - though I still stand by the opinion that he's behind the curve from what you'd expect from other 1st round QBs in the past.  Nevertheless, even though it was an optional passing camp, he still took on the obligation.  There's no denying that he should have been there because he said he would.  I'm not buying the bit that "they wouldn't have kicked out any other player," that's speculation at best, but it's not like I have any evidence in the past to refute it either.  Difference of opinion there.  Anyway, it seems to me that the Browns are acknowledging the red flags and nipping it in the bud now - good for them.  If there's one way to deflate one's ego, it's higher ups putting you in a position to learn a little humility.  That will go a long way into Manziel's maturation, I think.  Provided he does that over the course of the next year, there's no reason to think taht he couldn't be a similar QB to Russell Wilson, potential injury concerns aside.  How good he'll be, it remains to be seen, but with his potential, it was a gamble worth taking at #22.

My question is, would you have preferred Manziel or Bridgewater?  I didn't go deep in my review of the QBs, simply because the Colts weren't in the market for one.  But to me, on the field at least, they seem like fairly similar prospects.

On a side note: I'm not sure what the Trich comment was all about either.  Seemed pretty out of place to me lol.

I also noted that the official reason given by his dad for Manziel being sent home was "dehydration".  That's exactly what a hangover is!!!

As far as him celebrating, it wouldn't be a big deal if his celebration where a little bit more low key.  But the reality is that he's clearly eating up his fame here.  Lots of drinks, girls at the table.  High key enough of a celebration for people to take notice. . .   It's not like he just went out to a nice dinner with his family and ordered a drink or 2.  

Too in love with the fame that football brings him.  

Sounds like a guy who could get a mulit-million dollar signing bonus and blow through the whole thing before training camp.  

Yeah, to me, the circumstances strongly suggest he was out drinking too much the night before.  And while I'm of the opinion that he's not ready to manage an offense in the NFL right now, that doesn't mean he can't change.  But I think we both agree that if he's going to be successful at all, he does in fact have to change - for many of the reasons you've already stated.  He could go in one of two directions, be the guy that blows his fortune in 6 months and never amounts to anything, or work hard and learn what it is to be humble and earn the respect of your teammates and see where your career leads.  That's ultimately up to Manziel.

Now would I have taken Manziel if I were the Browns?  No, probably not, but the guy does have the talent.  Like Leaf, there's enough potential there to be at least an above average QB.  If it were me, I would have waited to the second round and taken Garoppolo, but that's just because I personally think he was the best QB in this draft.  I'm no  football guru, I could very well be wrong.  Though I will say that the Pats who are ripe for picking an eventual replacement for Tom Brady took him with their second, so they see something in him as well, whatever that may be worth.

Manning Passing camp not well known?  I think anyone who's an NFL football fan knows about the Manning Passing Academy.  I don't think they needed the publicity.  I think it's more a matter of A. If you are gonna volunteer, be where you say you are going to be when you said you would be there.  B. Don't set a crappy example for high school kids.  Sure they probably don't have a problem with him drinking, adults drink and kids know it.  But a crappy example comes when you get drunk and hung over.

As far as him being the leader of his college team I would remind you that what is required to lead college kids and what is required to lead guys in the NFL is completely different.  How many coaches have failed in the NFL when coming from a college program and when it's all said and done they look back on it and just say that the guy didn't know how to coach grown ups.  

I agree with the part about being a leader.  He does show the ability to be a vocal leader and carried the Aggies when they needed him.  And that's really why I think that he can be that guy, he just needs to be a bit more mature in his decision making.  The kids 22 or whatever, it'll come in time - though I still stand by the opinion that he's behind the curve from what you'd expect from other 1st round QBs in the past.  Nevertheless, even though it was an optional passing camp, he still took on the obligation.  There's no denying that he should have been there because he said he would.  I'm not buying the bit that "they wouldn't have kicked out any other player," that's speculation at best, but it's not like I have any evidence in the past to refute it either.  Difference of opinion there.  Anyway, it seems to me that the Browns are acknowledging the red flags and nipping it in the bud now - good for them.  If there's one way to deflate one's ego, it's higher ups putting you in a position to learn a little humility.  That will go a long way into Manziel's maturation, I think.  Provided he does that over the course of the next year, there's no reason to think taht he couldn't be a similar QB to Russell Wilson, potential injury concerns aside.  How good he'll be, it remains to be seen, but with his potential, it was a gamble worth taking at #22.

My question is, would you have preferred Manziel or Bridgewater?  I didn't go deep in my review of the QBs, simply because the Colts weren't in the market for one.  But to me, on the field at least, they seem like fairly similar prospects.

On a side note: I'm not sure what the Trich comment was all about either.  Seemed pretty out of place to me lol.

He's 21 and he is the first one to admit he did too much. If you watch the Gruden camp with him, you can see the remorse on his face when he talks about it. Most college kids party, heck Zach Mettenberger was a known partier, sexually assaulted a woman while drunk, got BANNED from a city, is on probation for 2 years and is legally not allowed to drink and came in with a diluted urine sample yet people were saying he was the best "NFL style" QB in the draft....the point is, when you win the Heisman trophy at 19/20 years old the spotlight gets real hot.

I was on record saying that I would have preferred Bridgewater, but after the Pro day and having heard that he had an irregular heartbeat in his medical file, it has me questioning it. I was of the opinion that it had to be one of these guys, Bridgewtaer or Manziel. I said if they didn't come away with one of the two, the draft was a failure. Needless to say I was getting nervous....

Whatever happens, if he busts, while I would be disappointing, we swung for the fences, we took the guy with the biggest upside at QB. He could be Akili Smith, but he could be Brett Favre...

Manning Passing camp not well known?  I think anyone who's an NFL football fan knows about the Manning Passing Academy.  I don't think they needed the publicity.  I think it's more a matter of A. If you are gonna volunteer, be where you say you are going to be when you said you would be there.  B. Don't set a crappy example for high school kids.  Sure they probably don't have a problem with him drinking, adults drink and kids know it.  But a crappy example comes when you get drunk and hung over.

As far as him being the leader of his college team I would remind you that what is required to lead college kids and what is required to lead guys in the NFL is completely different.  How many coaches have failed in the NFL when coming from a college program and when it's all said and done they look back on it and just say that the guy didn't know how to coach grown ups.  

I meant on a national scale, people in football know about the manning academy but your casual football fan doesn't. I hadn't heard of it and I watch 300+ games a year. 

I agree and disagree. Manziels leadership is obviously natural, you can see it. Obviously you can't lead if you're not good at the NFL level, but if he is good and he plays well, that natural leadership will show at this level as well. He's not dumb, he scored the highest on the wonderlic of any of the QB's. He'll assimilate and hopefully dominate.  

He's 21 and he is the first one to admit he did too much. If you watch the Gruden camp with him, you can see the remorse on his face when he talks about it. Most college kids party, heck Zach Mettenberger was a known partier, sexually assaulted a woman while drunk, got BANNED from a city, is on probation for 2 years and is legally not allowed to drink and came in with a diluted urine sample yet people were saying he was the best "NFL style" QB in the draft....the point is, when you win the Heisman trophy at 19/20 years old the spotlight gets real hot.

I was on record saying that I would have preferred Bridgewater, but after the Pro day and having heard that he had an irregular heartbeat in his medical file, it has me questioning it. I was of the opinion that it had to be one of these guys, Bridgewtaer or Manziel. I said if they didn't come away with one of the two, the draft was a failure. Needless to say I was getting nervous....

Whatever happens, if he busts, while I would be disappointing, we swung for the fences, we took the guy with the biggest upside at QB. He could be Akili Smith, but he could be Brett Favre...

I wouldn't go so far as to say Brett Favre, but I agree with the premise that he could be a very good QB.  After drafting Luck, I went out of my way to try not to compare him to Manning (which is actually harder than you might think), so I'll go out of my way comparing Manziel, and any other rookie QB for that matter, to any future first ballot HOF'er. 

With Mecklenberg, I agree, but that was something that took him down to the 6th round I believe.  Now even if the two guys ceilings are the same (and let's just assume it for the sake of argument), I'll be the first to admit that Manziel's red flags don't even compare to Mecklenberg - at least not enough to drop him to the 6th round.  Not only was he obviously immature, his immaturity exceeds Manziel's, and it landed him legal issues that, even if not permanent, will permanently affect people's opinions of him - especially NFL scouts.  Manziel has made some temporary mistakes that are surmountable in my opinion.  It's no wonder Mecklenberg dropped so far and Manziel dropped to the mid-late first round.  Justifiable.

Yeah, to me, the circumstances strongly suggest he was out drinking too much the night before.  And while I'm of the opinion that he's not ready to manage an offense in the NFL right now, that doesn't mean he can't change.  But I think we both agree that if he's going to be successful at all, he does in fact have to change - for many of the reasons you've already stated.  He could go in one of two directions, be the guy that blows his fortune in 6 months and never amounts to anything, or work hard and learn what it is to be humble and earn the respect of your teammates and see where your career leads.  That's ultimately up to Manziel.

Now would I have taken Manziel if I were the Browns?  No, probably not, but the guy does have the talent.  Like Leaf, there's enough potential there to be at least an above average QB.  If it were me, I would have waited to the second round and taken Garoppolo, but that's just because I personally think he was the best QB in this draft.  I'm no  football guru, I could very well be wrong.  Though I will say that the Pats who are ripe for picking an eventual replacement for Tom Brady took him with their second, so they see something in him as well, whatever that may be worth.

I would have still gone with Bridgewater.  All else being equal (which I know it never is) I would want the QB that shows the highest degree of football intelligence.  Now that's not the same as scoring the highest on the Wonderlic.

Hmm didn't know that stuff about Mettenberger.  Just knew he was talented but injured.  It's no wonder he dropped that far then especially with the legal issues.  

I would have still gone with Bridgewater.  All else being equal (which I know it never is) I would want the QB that shows the highest degree of football intelligence.  Now that's not the same as scoring the highest on the Wonderlic.

I preferred Bridgewater, there was no one in this draft that went through progressions and did more at the line of scrimmage as far as getting his team in the position to "win" on every down. 

With that said, Manziels ceiling is higher. Manziel has a better arm and is a lot more mobile. If he can be coached up to Bridgewaters level of understanding the game, his ceiling is much higher. 

I wouldn't go so far as to say Brett Favre, but I agree with the premise that he could be a very good QB.  After drafting Luck, I went out of my way to try not to compare him to Manning (which is actually harder than you might think), so I'll go out of my way comparing Manziel, and any other rookie QB for that matter, to any future first ballot HOF'er. 

With Mecklenberg, I agree, but that was something that took him down to the 6th round I believe.  Now even if the two guys ceilings are the same (and let's just assume it for the sake of argument), I'll be the first to admit that Manziel's red flags don't even compare to Mecklenberg - at least not enough to drop him to the 6th round.  Not only was he obviously immature, his immaturity exceeds Manziel's, and it landed him legal issues that, even if not permanent, will permanently affect people's opinions of him - especially NFL scouts.  Manziel has made some temporary mistakes that are surmountable in my opinion.  It's no wonder Mecklenberg dropped so far and Manziel dropped to the mid-late first round.  Justifiable.

Fair enough. I think Manziel can run a lot of the same plays that RG III ran his first year. I think that he has the experience and the talent to succeed like that, now he just needs to slide. 

Hmm didn't know that stuff about Mettenberger.  Just knew he was talented but injured.  It's no wonder he dropped that far then especially with the legal issues.  

Mettenberger pleads guilty to sexual battery charges

Posted by John Taylor on May 3, 2010, 4:52 PM EDT

As you can tell by the headline, we now know exactly why Zach Mettenberger is no longer a member of the University of Georgia football program.

According to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Mettenberger pleaded guilty Monday to two counts of sexual battery.  The charges stemmed from an incident back in early March in which the quarterback was originally arrested on five misdemeanor counts, none of which were for sexual battery.

The Journal-Constitution writes that Mettenberger “was sentenced to two concurrent 12-month periods of probation under the First Offender act, is to pay $35 per month for a probation supervision fee, pay a fine of $1,000 on each count, must consent to searches of his person, vehicle and premises at any time by any law enforcement officer without a search warrant and without probable cause and must not object to any item seized during any such search from being admitted into evidence in any court proceeding, must not drink any alcoholic beverage, nor be at any place where alcoholic beverages are sold, is banished from the city of Valdosta and must have no contact, direct or indirect , with the victim in the case.”

The district attorney also told the paper that the charges stemmed from Mettenberger “grabbing the breasts and touching the buttocks of the victim.”

Mettenberger, who had the look of a starting QB throughout the spring even with the legal issues hanging over his head, was already facing a school-mandated one-game suspension for the arrest when head coach Mark Richt stunningly and unexpectedly dismissed him from the football program April 18.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/03/mettenberger-pleads-guilty-to-sexual-battery-charges/

Read it carefully. "Sexual Battery", what was described and the punishment, do not add up. Came to the combine with a diluted sample....Alcohol is legal....so long as you're not court ordered not to drink.

That was one of the things tehy said about Garoppolo (it's one of the few things that us fans can't really pick up on just watching the games).  I just liked that he showed a lot of tendencies that you would need from a pro style QB - accurate, good touch, adequate velocity (though not elite).  Some of the knocks - happy feet, pocket awareness - on him can be developed, especially under Brady and with Belicheck being his tutors.

I preferred Bridgewater, there was no one in this draft that went through progressions and did more at the line of scrimmage as far as getting his team in the position to "win" on every down. 

With that said, Manziels ceiling is higher. Manziel has a better arm and is a lot more mobile. If he can be coached up to Bridgewaters level of understanding the game, his ceiling is much higher. 

Certainly true. . . although I think people put too much stock in potential when it comes to these decisions.  Quite frankly I think they put too much stock in physical attributes period.  

Not saying you shouldn't consider the physical attributes but Alex Smith from what I hear has the weakest arm in the NFL and is still a quality starter.  (Granted he shouldn't have been taken over Rodgers in hindsight, but Alex Smith is still a quality starter.)

On the other hand the list of QB's who've had all the physical attributes you look for but just didn't put in the work or couldn't understand an NFL playbook is pretty long.  

Fair enough. I think Manziel can run a lot of the same plays that RG III ran his first year. I think that he has the experience and the talent to succeed like that, now he just needs to slide. 

Mettenberger pleads guilty to sexual battery charges

Posted by John Taylor on May 3, 2010, 4:52 PM EDT

As you can tell by the headline, we now know exactly why Zach Mettenberger is no longer a member of the University of Georgia football program.

According to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Mettenberger pleaded guilty Monday to two counts of sexual battery.  The charges stemmed from an incident back in early March in which the quarterback was originally arrested on five misdemeanor counts, none of which were for sexual battery.

The Journal-Constitution writes that Mettenberger “was sentenced to two concurrent 12-month periods of probation under the First Offender act, is to pay $35 per month for a probation supervision fee, pay a fine of $1,000 on each count, must consent to searches of his person, vehicle and premises at any time by any law enforcement officer without a search warrant and without probable cause and must not object to any item seized during any such search from being admitted into evidence in any court proceeding, must not drink any alcoholic beverage, nor be at any place where alcoholic beverages are sold, is banished from the city of Valdosta and must have no contact, direct or indirect , with the victim in the case.”

The district attorney also told the paper that the charges stemmed from Mettenberger “grabbing the breasts and touching the buttocks of the victim.”

Mettenberger, who had the look of a starting QB throughout the spring even with the legal issues hanging over his head, was already facing a school-mandated one-game suspension for the arrest when head coach Mark Richt stunningly and unexpectedly dismissed him from the football program April 18.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/03/mettenberger-pleads-guilty-to-sexual-battery-charges/

Read it carefully. "Sexual Battery", what was described and the punishment, do not add up. Came to the combine with a diluted sample....Alcohol is legal....so long as you're not court ordered not to drink.

I'm not sure what doesn't add up for you there?  Sounds like he got drunk, touched a woman inappropriately and because of his drunken state the judge ordered him to stay away from alcohol.  

tumblr_m3f5foLhDt1rul0hko1_500.gif

Johnny was a know partier at Texas A&M and one of his biggest knocks coming into the draft was his maturity and partying. You do not get labeled like that by teams like the Pats just because you have fun in the offseason. He even allegdly got kicked out of Peyton's camp because he was hung over and missed a session. The fact that he went to a bar there knowing he had responsibilites the next morning tells you that he has some maturity issues.

Do not get me wrong I have no problem with him going out after the draft and having a great time or going to frats in the offseason at college.

The concern Haslem has is he is now the face of that franchise and he cannot be going out the night before and showing up late to workouts or film study. He has to mature and realize that there is a time and place to have a good time. I saw first hand Peyton have a great time at a local bar here in Indy. He was carrying a tray full of shots for him and his teammates, but it was the bye week on a Saturday night.

If Johnny can find that balance then he will do great. I am sure Haslem is just concerned he will not find that balance and will let that lifestyle consume him.

Certainly true. . . although I think people put too much stock in potential when it comes to these decisions.  Quite frankly I think they put too much stock in physical attributes period.  

Not saying you shouldn't consider the physical attributes but Alex Smith from what I hear has the weakest arm in the NFL and is still a quality starter.  (Granted he shouldn't have been taken over Rodgers in hindsight, but Alex Smith is still a quality starter.)

On the other hand the list of QB's who've had all the physical attributes you look for but just didn't put in the work or couldn't understand an NFL playbook is pretty long.  

I'm not sure what doesn't add up for you there?  Sounds like he got drunk, touched a woman inappropriately and because of his drunken state the judge ordered him to stay away from alcohol.  

The list of QB's who haven't made it that don't have the physical attributes is even longer. Trust me, I've seen almost two decades of them.

He groped a woman and got banned from the town, 2 years probation, forbidden to drink (I never even heard of that before?) ordered to pay fines and get expelled from school for grabbing on some T&A? That adds up to you?

That was one of the things tehy said about Garoppolo (it's one of the few things that us fans can't really pick up on just watching the games).  I just liked that he showed a lot of tendencies that you would need from a pro style QB - accurate, good touch, adequate velocity (though not elite).  Some of the knocks - happy feet, pocket awareness - on him can be developed, especially under Brady and with Belicheck being his tutors.

Yeah but Bridgewater already has the pocket awareness and I don't think he gets happy feet.

There is only so many things a player can be coached out of I think.  You're taking a guy who's done it a certain way for a long time and been successful and trying to tell him not to do that anymore. . . Easier said then done I would say.  

The list of QB's who haven't made it that don't have the physical attributes is even longer. Trust me, I've seen almost two decades of them.

He groped a woman and got banned from the town, 2 years probation, forbidden to drink (I never even heard of that before?) ordered to pay fines and get expelled from school for grabbing on some T&A? That adds up to you?

Yeah it does. . . I've never grabbed a woman's stuff without her permission before so I wouldn't know how it's punished but this seems appropriate.  That having been said I've also never been drunk before.  (So I tend to have a hard time with the "that's just how college students are" excuse.  I'm a college graduate, I just knew better then to get drunk even at 21.)

I would say most likely it wasn't just a quick grab of her stuff. . . I would guess that he kept doing it or was really bothering her to the point where cops had to be brought in to get him to leave her alone.  

And the forbidding to drink is actually an acceptable way that many judges punish alcohol fueled crimes.  I've heard of it many times.  Granted it's more often for DUI's and the like, but I'm pretty sure the judge can order it with any probation especially if he thinks alcohol fueled the crime. 

What I've never heard of was being banned from town before at least in modern times.  In the past my own home state of Indiana banned former Klan leader DC Stephenson from the state after they released him from prison.  But I havn't heard of banning someone from town before.