Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jimmy Haslem tells Johnny football to act like a back up. What?

Hoosierdome93

Ehh I don't know I think he's self absorbed and immature.

What do QB's normally do after they get drafted. I think most of them want to get the play book in their hands and get to work.

What does Manziel do??? PARTY!!!!!

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2014/05/10/manziel-partied-till-wee-hours-after-draft-pick/

This guy seems to be to be Ryan Leaf 2.0. Too full of himself, loves to party. All that's missing is a meltdown in front of the media and finally a total meltdown on the field. Those may be coming soon.

Manziel's saving grace is that the Browns have Hoyer and it sounds like they would rather start Hoyer and have Manziel sit and learn a bit. So perhaps he will learn to tone it down before he blows his chance on the field and perhaps sitting will humble him a bit.

Good Luck Cleveland you got what you are asking for with him.

not saying he isn't somewhat full of himself. I was just addressing the money sign thing.

I have no clue if Johnny will be a good QB in the NFL. After reading a lot of these comments I really don't understand all the hate. As far as I know he has done nothing criminal? Maybe the getting paid for signing a bunch of cards and jerseys if you count that? He could go either way I suppose. There have been quite a few arrogant NFL players in the league and some get by with it if they can play. Only time will tell.

He's 21 and he is the first one to admit he did too much. If you watch the Gruden camp with him, you can see the remorse on his face when he talks about it. Most college kids party, heck Zach Mettenberger was a known partier, sexually assaulted a woman while drunk, got BANNED from a city, is on probation for 2 years and is legally not allowed to drink and came in with a diluted urine sample yet people were saying he was the best "NFL style" QB in the draft....the point is, when you win the Heisman trophy at 19/20 years old the spotlight gets real hot.

I was on record saying that I would have preferred Bridgewater, but after the Pro day and having heard that he had an irregular heartbeat in his medical file, it has me questioning it. I was of the opinion that it had to be one of these guys, Bridgewtaer or Manziel. I said if they didn't come away with one of the two, the draft was a failure. Needless to say I was getting nervous....

Whatever happens, if he busts, while I would be disappointing, we swung for the fences, we took the guy with the biggest upside at QB. He could be Akili Smith, but he could be Brett Favre...

While Manziel was the most exciting quarterback coming out this year and I like his competitiveness, I did not want the Vikings to select him. Manziel comes across as overly confident, so much so that he may not put in the work necessary to help his team win. He reminds me a bit of Allen Iverson. Iverson was very confident, competitive and exciting, but he did not put much stock in practicing and doing prep work. I get the same impression of Manziel but that is JMO.

It is interesting that as much as I read about these quarterbacks these last 5 months, I had not read anywhere about the allegations against Mettenberger. I heard about his failing the drug test but not about the sexual battery conviction. Nolan Nowarki would not have missed that if this had been Manziel, Cam, or Griffin.

Now, your team once drafted Tim Couch #1 overall and I believe it was in the same draft as Akili Smith. Why did you write that Manziel could be a bust like Akili Smith? You could have named Tim Couch, given that both he and Manziel are Browns draft picks. I often wonder why some players like Akili Smith, Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russell, and Trent Dilfer (to a lesser extent) are always named as major busts but no one mentions Couch, Joey Harrington, and Byron Leftwich (just to name a few).

While Manziel was the most exciting quarterback coming out this year and I like his competitiveness, I did not want the Vikings to select him. Manziel comes across as overly confident, so much so that he may not put in the work necessary to help his team win. He reminds me a bit of Allen Iverson. Iverson was very confident, competitive and exciting, but he did not put much stock in practicing and doing prep work. I get the same impression of Manziel but that is JMO.

It is interesting that as much as I read about these quarterbacks these last 5 months, I had not read anywhere about the allegations against Mettenberger. I heard about his failing the drug test but not about the sexual battery conviction. Nolan Nowarki would not have missed that if this had been Manziel, Cam, or Griffin.

Now, your team once drafted Tim Couch #1 overall and I believe it was in the same draft as Akili Smith. Why did you write that Manziel could be a bust like Akili Smith? You could have named Tim Couch, given that both he and Manziel are Browns draft picks. I often wonder why some players like Akili Smith, Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russell, and Trent Dilfer (to a lesser extent) are always named as major busts but no one mentions Couch, Joey Harrington, and Byron Leftwich (just to name a few).

You're entitled to your opinion. I never read a single piece of scouting that said Manziel was anything but a hard worker. A high profile guy like that, something would have come out if he wasn't a hard worker don't you think?

I mentioned Akili Smith because of the dual threat QB. 

He's 21 and he is the first one to admit he did too much. If you watch the Gruden camp with him, you can see the remorse on his face when he talks about it. Most college kids party, heck Zach Mettenberger was a known partier, sexually assaulted a woman while drunk, got BANNED from a city, is on probation for 2 years and is legally not allowed to drink and came in with a diluted urine sample yet people were saying he was the best "NFL style" QB in the draft....the point is, when you win the Heisman trophy at 19/20 years old the spotlight gets real hot.

I was on record saying that I would have preferred Bridgewater, but after the Pro day and having heard that he had an irregular heartbeat in his medical file, it has me questioning it. I was of the opinion that it had to be one of these guys, Bridgewtaer or Manziel. I said if they didn't come away with one of the two, the draft was a failure. Needless to say I was getting nervous....

Whatever happens, if he busts, while I would be disappointing, we swung for the fences, we took the guy with the biggest upside at QB. He could be Akili Smith, but he could be Brett Favre...

By the way..........   he didn't just....  "over sleep"....

He was drunk off his *** and had passed out.

And the Manning camp is one of the most highly respected camps for kids in the country.

By the way..........   he didn't just....  "over sleep"....

He was drunk off his *** and had passed out.

And the Manning camp is one of the most highly respected camps for kids in the country.

Are you serious right now? You sit there telling me that a "scouting report" posted by "Brobible.com" has to be true because no one denied it, but you come at me with that conjecture? 

Manziel leaves Manning Passing Academy early, but reports of partying are denied
Posted by Mike Florio on July 14, 2013, 2:06 PM EDT
manziel.jpg?w=229AP

Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel will be the most scrutinized college player in the 2013 football season.  We know that because he already is.

Chris Mortensen of ESPN confirms a report that Manziel left the Manning Passing Academy a day early.  However, Mort says camp officials were “adamant” that Manziel was not sent home by Manning family patriarch Archie prematurely due to partying.

“Johnny Manziel did participate in some activities in the 2013 Manning Passing Academy as a college counselor/coach,” a camp spokesman told Mortensen, who is present at the event. “After missing and being late for practice assignments, Johnny explained that he had been feeling ill. Consequently, we agreed that it was in everyone’s best interest for him to go home a day early.”

It sounds like a diplomatic way of tiptoeing around a situation that could embarrass the Mannings almost as much as it would embarrass Manziel. After all, the Mannings want high-profile quarterbacks to choose to participate in the camp; if the Mannings start calling out guys who are essentially acting their age, the harder it could be to get them to choose to attend in the future.  Likewise, the Mannings don’t want to create the impression that their camp is being run by actual or alleged booze hounds.

“I enjoyed meeting Johnny,” Peyton Manning told Mortensen. “I can remember a 20-year-old Eli [Manning] missing a meeting and catching some flak.  We always have counselors who leave early.  Johnny was great with the campers for the time he was here.  He had to leave early.  I wish him the best and I want him to come back as a counselor next year.”

It’s possibly Peyton was being diplomatic, too; however, he hasn’t pulled punches in the past when necessary to call out folks who have been “liquored up.”

Regardless, it’s another reason for scouts and the media to keep an eye on Manziel as he faces the challenge, whether he likes it or not, of maturing in to the kind of quarterback who won’t have non-football concerns prompt his draft stock to dip.  And if there’s any behind-the-scenes truth to the reported rumors of partying, theprivate dressing down he undoubtedly received from Peyton was likely punishment enough.

Are you serious right now? You sit there telling me that a "scouting report" posted by "Brobible.com" has to be true because no one denied it, but you come at me with that conjecture? 

Manziel leaves Manning Passing Academy early, but reports of partying are denied
Posted by Mike Florio on July 14, 2013, 2:06 PM EDT
manziel.jpg?w=229AP

Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel will be the most scrutinized college player in the 2013 football season.  We know that because he already is.

Chris Mortensen of ESPN confirms a report that Manziel left the Manning Passing Academy a day early.  However, Mort says camp officials were “adamant” that Manziel was not sent home by Manning family patriarch Archie prematurely due to partying.

“Johnny Manziel did participate in some activities in the 2013 Manning Passing Academy as a college counselor/coach,” a camp spokesman told Mortensen, who is present at the event. “After missing and being late for practice assignments, Johnny explained that he had been feeling ill. Consequently, we agreed that it was in everyone’s best interest for him to go home a day early.”

It sounds like a diplomatic way of tiptoeing around a situation that could embarrass the Mannings almost as much as it would embarrass Manziel. After all, the Mannings want high-profile quarterbacks to choose to participate in the camp; if the Mannings start calling out guys who are essentially acting their age, the harder it could be to get them to choose to attend in the future.  Likewise, the Mannings don’t want to create the impression that their camp is being run by actual or alleged booze hounds.

“I enjoyed meeting Johnny,” Peyton Manning told Mortensen. “I can remember a 20-year-old Eli [Manning] missing a meeting and catching some flak.  We always have counselors who leave early.  Johnny was great with the campers for the time he was here.  He had to leave early.  I wish him the best and I want him to come back as a counselor next year.”

It’s possibly Peyton was being diplomatic, too; however, he hasn’t pulled punches in the past when necessary to call out folks who have been “liquored up.”

Regardless, it’s another reason for scouts and the media to keep an eye on Manziel as he faces the challenge, whether he likes it or not, of maturing in to the kind of quarterback who won’t have non-football concerns prompt his draft stock to dip.  And if there’s any behind-the-scenes truth to the reported rumors of partying, theprivate dressing down he undoubtedly received from Peyton was likely punishment enough.

Sorry.....

I'm raining on your parade.     I'll stop.

You're happy with what Cleveland did.     That's great for you.

I just don't understand why you're here and seemingly surprised that there are so many others who don't share your view of things...

Either way........    good luck.....

Sorry.....

I'm raining on your parade.     I'll stop.

You're happy with what Cleveland did.     That's great for you.

I just don't understand why you're here and seemingly surprised that there are so many others who don't share your view of things...

Either way........    good luck.....

It's not about that, yeah he did some stupid things. Rain on it all you want, just don't tell me that one thing is true because there was no denial and then say a denial doesn't matter in other areas to fit your argument. 

Fake scouting report not fake because no one denied it.

Johnny football was drunk off his butt must be true despite an adamant denial. 

It's not about that, yeah he did some stupid things. Rain on it all you want, just don't tell me that one thing is true because there was no denial and then say a denial doesn't matter in other areas to fit your argument. 

Fake scouting report not fake because no one denied it.

Johnny football was drunk off his butt must be true despite an adamant denial. 

There's a difference between an organization not issuing a denial, and a 20 year old kid who has every reason to lie denying that he did anything wrong.

If I have to explain that difference,  we're going to get no where.    It's either obvious what the difference is,  or it's not.

You're entitled to your opinion. I never read a single piece of scouting that said Manziel was anything but a hard worker. A high profile guy like that, something would have come out if he wasn't a hard worker don't you think?

I mentioned Akili Smith because of the dual threat QB.

You're right. I did not read anywhere that he does not work hard. As I wrote earlier, his being overly confident was only my impression. I'm rooting for him and hope he has a great career. I watched him a lot in college and found him so exciting.

The guy that your team drafted that I wanted was Pierre Desir. Not drafting him was the only disappointment I had in my team's draft.

Good luck in the Browns having a winning year.

Honestly I have nothing against Manziel.

The guy has swagger. What is wrong with that. He is 21. Let him do what he wants to do.

We will know soon what he is made of.

Yeah, I feel the same way. I want to see him succeed in the NFL. Love his game.

The guy has swagger. What is wrong with that. He is 21. Let him do what he wants to do.

You do make a valid point Shane. Just because the media raves about Johnny Football 24/7, that's not really his fault just a byproduct of being a Heisman Trophy winner. I am still rooting for Brian Hoyer, but if Manziel wins that starting job, I will be okay with it. 

Some people just won't let Manziel be great

Like I said, not everyone comes in the same package as far as demeanor. If one can be cocky like Sherman but show up on the field all the time, then folks won't care. Yeah, I do cherish values of humility and I love Andrew Luck for that quiet confidence.

But at the same time, I do realize different folks use different means to exude their confidence. Cam Newton does it his own way, Kaepernick does it his own way, and soon Manziel will do it his own way. If they win ultimately, it does not bother me at all.

Some folks are just hung up on QBs and NFL players being cookie cutters. A game played with high emotion cannot be hurt by swagger if used right.

If that's swag, I don't want any.