Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bold move by Pats...Jimmy Garoppolo

oldunclemark

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not have been shocked if the Pats went with Manziel if Manziel dropped to them.

The word was the Vikings wanted Manziel and wanted to trade with the Eagles but the Browns gave a better offer for the Eagles while moving from No.26 to No.22.

I think the pick makes a lot of sense.  When I watched JG on film the first thing I said to myself was he kind of reminds me of a mix between Tom Brady and Alex Smith. Having him get picked up by the Pats fits right in line with my thinking.

This pick also helps to confirm where Mallets future is .  With the Houston Texans

How could Mallet's future be with or have been with the Pats. Brady has at least 2 years left and this is the last year Mallet is under contract. You really think he is or would be willing to spend another two years holding a clipboard ? Other words no way he was resigning with NE after 2014.

How could Mallet's future be with or have been with the Pats. Brady has at least 2 years left and this is the last year Mallet is under contract. You really think he is or would be willing to spend another two years holding a clipboard ? Other words no way he was resigning with NE after 2014.

The purpose of my post was to say Mallett will not be with the Patriots this year and they are clearly preparing for tha it seems. I think the Texans are his destination, which I assume is why Houston is being almost non chalant about drafting one early.  I get what you're saying though

I honestly did not like the pick, we needed to bulk up our interior O Line and BB has not done anything to improve it...I don't think there are any good prospects left now. Also we needed a safety too, that didn't pan out either. Lastly who is going to be our tight end on week 1 of the season? BB so far has disappointed me this years draft. Also we need a good cover LB, I'd want to see Collins as a DE.

I honestly did not like the pick, we needed to bulk up our interior O Line and BB has not done anything to improve it...I don't think there are any good prospects left now. Also we needed a safety too, that didn't pan out either. Lastly who is going to be our tight end on week 1 of the season? BB so far has disappointed me this years draft. Also we need a good cover LB, I'd want to see Collins as a DE.

Looks like they are putting all the chips on the free agents coming in.

The purpose of my post was to say Mallett will not be with the Patriots this year and they are clearly preparing for tha it seems. I think the Texans are his destination, which I assume is why Houston is being almost non chalant about drafting one early.  I get what you're saying though

Agree with that for sure. Must be there wasn't much demand for Mallet and the Pats are settling for a 2015 pick. Probably a 3rd or 4th that can turn into a 2nd if he hits certain stats in 2014. So it makes sense that they don't need to announce it anytime soon. I don't for 1 minute believe all the reports that say Mallet will be a Patriot in 2014.

I am not seeing what BB is seeing... Our defense has too many holes...I doubt Browner will be a good safety if BB decides to go that route. We need a true safety that can be the next Ed Reed (wishful thinking lol) but a great safety will help your secondary that much. Revis alone will not help our secondary. Hightower and Mayo are mainly run stoppers and like I said before they just can't cover... Honestly I think one of the two will be replaced and most likely that could be Hightower since he honestly hasn't developed and lived up to the first round draft pick...

Jamie Collins, we will see how he does in a starting role this year and see how he does playing a full season.

Patriots lack pass rush, without rush you could have the best cornerback in the game and still suck at secondary. Even terrible qbs could make our defense a joke.

I am not seeing what BB is seeing... Our defense has too many holes...I doubt Browner will be a good safety if BB decides to go that route. We need a true safety that can be the next Ed Reed (wishful thinking lol) but a great safety will help your secondary that much. Revis alone will not help our secondary. Hightower and Mayo are mainly run stoppers and like I said before they just can't cover... Honestly I think one of the two will be replaced and most likely that could be Hightower since he honestly hasn't developed and lived up to the first round draft pick...

Jamie Collins, we will see how he does in a starting role this year and see how he does playing a full season.

Patriots lack pass rush, without rush you could have the best cornerback in the game and still suck at secondary. Even terrible qbs could make our defense a joke.

I think the defense is actually pretty solid. They addressed the secondary in FA with Revis and Browner and then resigned Wilfork to sure up the interior. They also signed Will Smith to address the pass rush and they took a DT in round 1 who is a rusher. I think we are set on D honestly. Maybe a SS is all that is left.

I am kind of mixed on taking the QB in round 2 but if Mallett is not their guy which appears to be the case then you have to get the guy that you believe can replace Brady. The time is now as he only has a few years left.

They did trade out of the third round and picked up in addition 6th round pick which is good. They need to draft TE and outside WR which they may do with a trade to Houston for Mallett.

I think the defense is actually pretty solid. They addressed the secondary in FA with Revis and Browner and then resigned Wilfork to sure up the interior. They also signed Will Smith to address the pass rush and they took a DT in round 1 who is a rusher. I think we are set on D honestly. Maybe a SS is all that is left.

I am kind of mixed on taking the QB in round 2 but if Mallett is not their guy which appears to be the case then you have to get the guy that you believe can replace Brady. The time is now as he only has a few years left.

They did trade out of the third round and picked up in addition 6th round pick which is good. They need to draft TE and outside WR which they may do with a trade to Houston for Mallett.

There aren't any TE left in the draft worth mentioning...you are not going to get a decent TE this far in the draft.

We need a playmaking TE not a blocking one to replace Hernandez. With Gronk always hurt we need another starting TE, not a backup. I am looking at the whole picture and I am not seeing the Patriots fixing the main issues.

Resigning Wilfork is not going to make everything better, plus he is coming back from a season ending injury so at this point we are not even sure if he is going to dominate in the middle and be double teamed.

NE has a good shot at getting to the SB again before Brady retires, but frankly I am sick and tired of keep thinking of the feature. This reminds me of the Colts ( I still love you guys) and we are not building a great playoff team, just a team that is going to be in the playoffs and then just get slapped around by the Broncos.

At times I wish we had Pete Carroll, that is a guy that knows how to draft true talent.

We had many bust in the 1st round over the last few years, players that just never lived up to the expectations, this tells me that either we have a terrible scout team our BB is just on something when the NFL draft starts.

Hightower might be early to say but he had not shown greatness entering his 3rd year now.

Brandon Meriweather, couldn't cover worth crap, he only laid big hits is all.

Benjamin Watson, total bust, kept dropping the ball.

Laurence Maroney, terrible.

Also our later round picks were just horrible, Chung , Dowling, Hobbs...

Its bold because they took a guy who wont play next year..over others who might have 

That's always a gamble

So taking a rookie QB to back up a QB who will be 37 years old in Aug. is a bold move?  Not really. Also every pick in the draft is a gamble. We have seen 1st round bust and 15 hall of famers who were never drafted. I don't think that 1 player out of 53 would be the difference between winning and losing being all 53 do not dress for every game anyways.

If you want your team to succeed then you need a great O Line that can push the pile...right now this oline is just weak. I want us to win, tired of seeing the Broncos doing everything they can to get a winning cast around manning.

All we get is patchwork year after year just like the Talib and now Revis signings.

This might actually be the guy who succeeds Brady. Learn on the bench for 3 or 4 years and become the next Aaron Rodgers...I bet that's what Jimmy wants.

I agree. Too many think that Brady will play forever. Could be the Pats and BB don't want to get in the same position the Colts were in when Manning went down.

There aren't any TE left in the draft worth mentioning...you are not going to get a decent TE this far in the draft.

We need a playmaking TE not a blocking one to replace Hernandez. With Gronk always hurt we need another starting TE, not a backup. I am looking at the whole picture and I am not seeing the Patriots fixing the main issues.

Resigning Wilfork is not going to make everything better, plus he is coming back from a season ending injury so at this point we are not even sure if he is going to dominate in the middle and be double teamed.

NE has a good shot at getting to the SB again before Brady retires, but frankly I am sick and tired of keep thinking of the feature. This reminds me of the Colts ( I still love you guys) and we are not building a great playoff team, just a team that is going to be in the playoffs and then just get slapped around by the Broncos.

At times I wish we had Pete Carroll, that is a guy that knows how to draft true talent.

We had many bust in the 1st round over the last few years, players that just never lived up to the expectations, this tells me that either we have a terrible scout team our BB is just on something when the NFL draft starts.

Hightower might be early to say but he had not shown greatness entering his 3rd year now.

I have to admit this is the most honest Pat fan I have ever read. If I or another Colt fan would have spoken like this we would have been crucified by the Pats faithful.

I am a realist and don't live in the "we need to make excuse for very mistake we made and need to prove you wrong". I love my Pats but this is getting old real quick, we have not addressed many issues on our D...

We need a safety, we need a true cover LB, I think Collins is too big to play all snaps at a high level. Like I said in my previous posts he would play at his full potentials if they converted him to a DE.

Will Smith is not going to be an impact player, hell I wouldn't be surprised if he gets cut before the season even starts.

We had 0, zero , nada from our TE corp when Gronk went down. You just can't survive in this league without a TE, you need those big targets so you can slow down those linebackers. If lbs stay in the box then you become 1 dimensional because then you won't be able to run the ball...all because your TE don't impose a threat whatsoever...

Huh? Collins IS a cover LB. Did you not watch him last year?

I agree about the OG need, though.

Easley was a great pick; top 10 talent, and appears to be healthy.

Yawn....anything the Pats do is considered a 'bold move'. Ryan Mallet was bold too

The end is near for these ********************************************************champions**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Huh? Collins IS a cover LB. Did you not watch him last year?

I agree about the OG need, though.

Easley was a great pick; top 10 talent, and appears to be healthy.

He did good at the end if the season, but again, such a big guy like him, can he keep that up? He would do so much better at DE than Nink...

Wendell is too small, he got beat badly lady year... If you want Brady to last another season or two we need a better interior line. Ideally is like to see seine that can improve our run game.

I would not have been shocked if the Pats went with Manziel if Manziel dropped to them.

The word was the Vikings wanted Manziel and wanted to trade with the Eagles but the Browns gave a better offer for the Eagles while moving from No.26 to No.22.

Good move by Pats. Glad they didn't put Manziel behoind Brady. ;)

Alos, I heard Norv Turner wanted Bridgewater.  Went to his pro day or worked him out (can't remember which, could be both) and told his staff 'I can fix this guy'.  So draft day comes and He pounds the table telling the Vikings to make the deal and get him.  They did. 

http://nflspinzone.com/2014/05/09/norv-turner-driving-force-getting-teddy-bridgewater/

Say what you will about Turners HC record, but the guy has a huge history of success running offenses and coaching up QB's.  It's why Minn stole him from the Browns, in a lateral move to boot.

How do you not see the improvements ?!

Revis and Browner will be CBs, Ryan May be moved to SS.

Easley is a disruptive, pass rushing DT. Watch his highlights; he's very similar to Geno Atkins.

Chandler Jones is a great pass rusher; with Wilfork, Easley, and Kelly there, and Will Smith subbing, Jones will be more rested throughout the year.

Keep telling yourself that.

"Kid" is accurate, I see.

I actually pay attention to the draft write-ups; Easley is highly touted, and he is now healthy. On,y reason he dropped was teams being over cautious .

Seattle was going to take him at 32.

Wow. I am not sure what to tell you but the Pats are really not all the far off from being right there with the Broncos with the additions of Revis and Browner. Their D got a TON better this off-season. You have to be blind not to see that.

The O needs some work but they did sign LaFells on the outside and Dobson and Boyce will be in their second year and hopefully make a leap. And they just drafted a beast at center today.

TE is by far the biggest skill position that is needed. There are still quality guys left so we'll see what they do ...