Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hate To Say I Told You So

colts_mp

Oakland Raiders Comp Att Yds Pct Y/A Sack YdsL TD Int Rating Carson Palmer(notes) 14 20 299 70.0 15.0 1 1 2 1 125.0

Palmer's second start after being with the team only 3 weeks and look how he's done. Are the Raiders that much better than the Colts? When Manning's surgery was announced I said we need to get Palmer immediately. Campbell for the Raiders goes down and Palmer's on the team within the week! Had we done the deal we would have had at least a chance to save the season and possibly make the playoffs in a weak AFC South. Now we just have the Peyton/Luck debate to talk about the rest of the season.

Those that wanted Painter and not Collins..you got your wish. Granted you can't put too much blame on just Painter as he's basically a rookie but why couldn't have the Colts done something when we had the chance.

Oakland Raiders Comp Att Yds Pct Y/A Sack YdsL TD Int Rating Carson Palmer(notes) 14 20 299 70.0 15.0 1 1 2 1 125.0

Palmer's second start after being with the team only 3 weeks and look how he's done. Are the Raiders that much better than the Colts? When Manning's surgery was announced I said we need to get Palmer immediately. Campbell for the Raiders goes down and Palmer's on the team within the week! Had we done the deal we would have had at least a chance to save the season and possibly make the playoffs in a weak AFC South. Now we just have the Peyton/Luck debate to talk about the rest of the season.

Those that wanted Painter and not Collins..you got your wish. Granted you can't put too much blame on just Painter as he's basically a rookie but why couldn't have the Colts done something when we had the chance.

1. The colts would NEVER give up those draft picks, not even for Tom Brady. They refuse to build through anything but the draft and that would cripple them for the forseeable future.

2. If they were stupid enough to make that deal they would have a mediocre QB and we might make the playoffs, but who cares? Next year when were missing draft picks would hurt us SO much more, You wanted us to cripple the team and sign Palmer so we could make the playoffs for 1 season. You can't be serious. It's threads like this that give our fans a bad name.

Even if Palmer winds up winning the Comeback player of the year award, MVP and leads Oakland to a SB, I still wouldn't have wanted to pay what the Bengals wanted for him. All indications at this point are that Manning will make a return. If there's even a remote chance of that happening then no way would I give up 2 first round picks for 31 year old Palmer. Oakland giving up the picks they did, while still perhaps overpaying, made much more sense because they have a pretty good team, an offense with a great running game and young, talented WRs and just needed a QB. They were already looking to be picking in the middle of the first round, so too far back to get Luck, Barkley or Jones. Unless they felt one of the other draftable QBs were ready to start from day 1 then they're looking at a project guy who will need to ride the bench for a year or possibly more. Instead, they get a veteran franchise QB that can help them now and for the next 5-7 years (ish, depending on health) and they can continue to maintain and improve on the quality of talent around him in the draft and through FA. If they'd have decided to wait till the draft and try to trade up for one of the top 3 QBs then they'd be looking at paying a lot more than just the 2 picks they paid for Palmer.

This is why I don't get why people think Miami would be overjoyed to trade for Manning. They have a lot more needs than just QB. Some teams have a team built and primarily just need a QB (Oakland, Washington etc) whereas teams like Miami, Seattle etc need a lot more than just a QB. I could see Washington trying to make a trade for Manning but not Miami.

Of course that's all assuming that Irsay would be willing to trade Manning which, imo, there's no way that happens.

I think most people have already addressed this, why would we have given the price for him? If you can honestly give me a reason, then I might say you told us so, otherwise, you didn't. Also, you don't know what Palmer would have done on this team. Brady is a stud on the Pats, but if you move him to Miami or the Browns, he might be nothing. You just don't know.

Giving away first draft picks, just for one season and maybe...maybe a playoff birth, is not the answer. Palmer might start for Oakland for 3 or 4 years, if he plays well. Manning will hopefully be back next year, so what a waste.

How many chances are the Colts going to have to play in their own stadium in the super bowl? This year was our only chance - isn't it worth giving our all to make that happen? If you think that because no one else has ever done it then we wouldn't either...then this season was a lost cause when they announced we would host it.

You realize we would have needed to give up multiple first round picks to get Palmer from the Bengals, correct? Why would we mortgage our future for Palmer when this team was not going anywhere even if we got Palmer. He has not been the Palmer of old for years and he was not going to magically turn into that person here.

Are you really willing to give up the potential first pick in the draft next year to have Palmer? We need that pick to take Luck if Peyton is not healthy or trade it if Manning is healthy. Getting Palmer probably would have made this season a bit more bearable, but in the long run it would have been a horrible decision to give up those picks especially if we would have earned the first overall pick.

Why does everyone take it as a given that it would have cost the Colts what it cost the Raiders? They were desperate to make a trade at the very end of the time when trades were possible. The Colts could have offered the trade as soon as Dalton proved he might be a good quarterback and might have gotten Palmer much cheaper because the Bengals wanted him off of their hands.

How many chances are the Colts going to have to play in their own stadium in the super bowl? This year was our only chance - isn't it worth giving our all to make that happen? If you think that because no one else has ever done it then we wouldn't either...then this season was a lost cause when they announced we would host it.

Seriously.... cripple the franchise for the next 10 years to attempt to win a superbowl with Carson Palmer and this defense....................

No words can describe what I think abou this......

Why does everyone take it as a given that it would have cost the Colts what it cost the Raiders? They were desperate to make a trade at the very end of the time when trades were possible. The Colts could have offered the trade as soon as Dalton proved he might be a good quarterback and might have gotten Palmer much cheaper because the Bengals wanted him off of their hands.

They were not desperate, in fact they were adamant that they would not trade Palmer because they felt it was not right that he refused to play, they only accepted because of the ridiculousness they got in return.

Sorry but that makes no sense. It's actually the reverse of how supply and demand works.

The Bengals were content to not trade Palmer and just let him sit at home. I think it was foolish from the beginning (this is a team that complains about not generating enough revenue, yet they insist on not selling naming rights to their stadium), but with Palmer, it was a seller's market. They got more for him under those circumstances than they would have gotten in August because the Raiders had a decent start and are playing with a "win now" mentality. There's virtually no doubt the price went up as the deadline approached.

I agree with GoPats. Furthermore, even if throw out an offer, the Raiders could have upped the ante with the ridiculous proposal they made. Which do you think the Bengals would have taken? So we mortgage our future for a stop-gap QB who's playing as bad as Painter? You didn't tell us anything, but you raised questions about your credibility.

I do not believe you would have traded the Colts No.1 (now potentially the No.1 overall) and next year's No.1 pick for Carson Palmer..

That would have been as foolish as the Bears trading away two No.1s for Jay Cutler.

Plus...Palmer could not have learned our offense in time for us to make the playoffs.....and he'd be a backup when Manning came back.

That trade would have been a total loss.

Even if Palmer winds up winning the Comeback player of the year award, MVP and leads Oakland to a SB, I still wouldn't have wanted to pay what the Bengals wanted for him. All indications at this point are that Manning will make a return. If there's even a remote chance of that happening then no way would I give up 2 first round picks for 31 year old Palmer. Oakland giving up the picks they did, while still perhaps overpaying, made much more sense because they have a pretty good team, an offense with a great running game and young, talented WRs and just needed a QB. They were already looking to be picking in the middle of the first round, so too far back to get Luck, Barkley or Jones. Unless they felt one of the other draftable QBs were ready to start from day 1 then they're looking at a project guy who will need to ride the bench for a year or possibly more. Instead, they get a veteran franchise QB that can help them now and for the next 5-7 years (ish, depending on health) and they can continue to maintain and improve on the quality of talent around him in the draft and through FA. If they'd have decided to wait till the draft and try to trade up for one of the top 3 QBs then they'd be looking at paying a lot more than just the 2 picks they paid for Palmer.

This is why I don't get why people think Miami would be overjoyed to trade for Manning. They have a lot more needs than just QB. Some teams have a team built and primarily just need a QB (Oakland, Washington etc) whereas teams like Miami, Seattle etc need a lot more than just a QB. I could see Washington trying to make a trade for Manning but not Miami.

Of course that's all assuming that Irsay would be willing to trade Manning which, imo, there's no way that happens.

You are most corrent on the trade value for Palmer........but where are you getting your "Manning will return indications?" I've seen nothing that could be put down as a firm indication of his return. I'd say the odds are stacked against.....

You are most corrent on the trade value for Palmer........but where are you getting your "Manning will return indications?" I've seen nothing that could be put down as a firm indication of his return. I'd say the odds are stacked against.....

BHC..

We know nothing more about Manning than we did in September..

..They said he'd be able to practice in 3 months...

3 months is the 1st week of december

How would Palmer have learned the Colts offense?

BHC..

I think 'may'or 'should' were used actually. They also said he would be fine for week one. I want him fit and healthy as much as anyone else on here, but I'm not hearing any encouraging signs from those who count (and that's not you, Jason or I).

It isn't a matter of what we would have or could have offered the Bengals because we'd already rolled the dice (and came up with snake eyes) by signing Kerry Collins. There is no way Polian was going to trade draft picks for Palmer....at least none that would have gotten Mike Brown's attention after striking out with Collins to the tune of 4 million bucks.

The offer the Raiders made, on the other hand, was the very first major personnel move they made that was untethered by Al Davis' presence. Palmer and Hue Jackson also have some coach/player history, so Jackson was able to engineer a move, expensive as it was, that no Raider coach would have ever had the ability to do.

Credit Mike Brown, who suddenly looks like he's actually competent at building a solid team after drafting AJ Green and Andy Dalton, several pretty good drafts prior to that....and then filching these draft picks for Palmer.

BHC..

Fair enough...let me rephrase...at the time a deal would have had to be made to get Palmer (prior to opening week), all indications were that Manning would return.

How many chances are the Colts going to have to play in their own stadium in the super bowl? This year was our only chance - isn't it worth giving our all to make that happen?

I don't care about that. It's one of those nice little footnotes that means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things. You don't mortgage your future just to increase your chances of making the SB this year from "remote" to "highly unlikely". In fact, you don't mortgage your future EVER. The Colts have been down that path - back before they had a real front office. I shudder to think about it.

More to the point, I never wanted this guy under any circumstances, much less for two high draft picks - so what exactly have you "told us"? This is a guy who appeared to be a top ten QB, then plummeted. There are only two real possibilities. Either he is damaged goods, or he lacks the character necessary to lead a team. Think about what Peyton's offseason has been like, and what he's doing to both get back on the field, and help when he is off. Contrast that to what Palmer has done this offseason. There is NO excuse for that kind of behavior.

I don't care about that. It's one of those nice little footnotes that means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things. You don't mortgage your future just to increase your chances of making the SB this year from "remote" to "highly unlikely". In fact, you don't mortgage your future EVER. The Colts have been down that path - back before they had a real front office. I shudder to think about it.

More to the point, I never wanted this guy under any circumstances, much less for two high draft picks - so what exactly have you "told us"? This is a guy who appeared to be a top ten QB, then plummeted. There are only two real possibilities. Either he is damaged goods, or he lacks the character necessary to lead a team. Think about what Peyton's offseason has been like, and what he's doing to both get back on the field, and help when he is off. Contrast that to what Palmer has done this offseason. There is NO excuse for that kind of behavior.

Hmm, well imo there is a difference. Manning and the Colts FO have a great relationship and have been committed to each other. Both Peyton and Irsay have so far shown equal commitment to making sure Peyton retires a Colt. The Palmer and Bengals FO relationship hasn't been anything close to the Manning/Colts relationship. Palmer was tired of playing for an organization he no longer believed in. He chose retirement over continuing to play in that type of situation. It's his career so it's his choice to end it early. Just my take on it.

Hmm, well imo there is a difference. Manning and the Colts FO have a great relationship and have been committed to each other. Both Peyton and Irsay have so far shown equal commitment to making sure Peyton retires a Colt. The Palmer and Bengals FO relationship hasn't been anything close to the Manning/Colts relationship. Palmer was tired of playing for an organization he no longer believed in. He chose retirement over continuing to play in that type of situation. It's his career so it's his choice to end it early. Just my take on it.

True - and I know that the Bengals are a bad organization. The point is, however, that he signed a contract, and then decided - in the prime of his career - not to honor it. If you were a Bengals fan, how would you feel about that? If you were one of his teammates how would you feel about that? My opinion is that Palmer has an attitude problem, and that he lacks the "need" for competition that we take for granted in football players. Apparently he really just doesn't care one way or another. It's no more normal a decision than what we got from Quinn Pitcock. If Peyton had been in his situation, I'm quite confident that he would have been doing everything possible to play and succeed. Palmer can't even talk to the media about his NEW job without sounding like he's tired and bored.

The point being, why would you want "that" on your team under any circumstances, much less for two first round draft picks.

True - and I know that the Bengals are a bad organization. The point is, however, that he signed a contract, and then decided - in the prime of his career - not to honor it. If you were a Bengals fan, how would you feel about that? If you were one of his teammates how would you feel about that? My opinion is that Palmer has an attitude problem, and that he lacks the "need" for competition that we take for granted in football players. Apparently he really just doesn't care one way or another. It's no more normal a decision than what we got from Quinn Pitcock. If Peyton had been in his situation, I'm quite confident that he would have been doing everything possible to play and succeed. Palmer can't even talk to the media about his NEW job without sounding like he's tired and bored.

The point being, why would you want "that" on your team under any circumstances, much less for two first round draft picks.

so did reggie. yet he held out. its the name of the game. Bengals are a bad org? have you watched polian in operation? sorry, shift key BROKEN.

so did reggie. yet he held out. its the name of the game. Bengals are a bad org? have you watched polian in operation? sorry, shift key BROKEN.

"So did reggie"? What are you talking about. He held out for ten minutes because he wanted to make a statement about money. He made a point of not doing a single thing that might either lead his teammates/fans to think that he wasn't fully committed to the team, or to negatively affect his performance on the field. Then he came back and played like the classy all-pro team leader that he his, without bringing up the issue again.

Palmer was THE face of his franchise, and he essentially said "to heck with the fans, to heck with my teammates, to heck with my responsibilities, to heck with my career, to heck with the money, I have a personality clash with the owner, so I'm going to take my ball and go home". It was juvenile and SHOULD have destroyed his credibility altogether.

The fact that the Raiders took him (and paid so much) says a lot about them - perhaps the only organization in the NFL that is run worse than the Bengals. If was match made in heck.

I understand that you don't like the Polians - I'm not getting back into that nonsense with you. Your opinion doesn't change the fact that the Colts have one of the most highly regarded organizations in the league, and the Bengals one of the worst. The Bengals are exactly what the Colts were before Jim Irsay took over. If you don't understand and respect the difference, then I'm guessing you weren't old enough to be a fan during those years. You know not of what you speak.

Palmer was THE face of his franchise, and he essentially said "to heck with the fans, to heck with my teammates, to heck with my responsibilities, to heck with my career, to heck with the money, I have a personality clash with the owner, so I'm going to take my ball and go home". It was juvenile and SHOULD have destroyed his credibility altogether.

Yeah I simply disagree with you here...you're right, he turned his back on his contract, the fans and his teammates....but he also turned his back on his career and the money. For a player who has already established himself in the league as one of the better players at his position to decide he would rather fore-go the rest of his career than continue in his current situation....I can't imagine that could have been an easy decision.

I'm not saying that what he did was right, just like I don't think it was right of either Elway or Eli to refuse signing with the teams who drafted them, but at the same time I can't say it was entirely wrong either.

That should have absolutely nothing to do with it. I want to win the Super Bowl every year, I don't care where it is.

"So did reggie"? What are you talking about. He held out for ten minutes because he wanted to make a statement about money. He made a point of not doing a single thing that might either lead his teammates/fans to think that he wasn't fully committed to the team, or to negatively affect his performance on the field. Then he came back and played like the classy all-pro team leader that he his, without bringing up the issue again.

The fact that the Raiders took him (and paid so much) says a lot about them - perhaps the only organization in the NFL that is run worse than the Bengals. If was match made in heck.

I understand that you don't like the Polians - I'm not getting back into that nonsense with you. Your opinion doesn't change the fact that the Colts have one of the most highly regarded organizations in the league, and the Bengals one of the worst. The Bengals are exactly what the Colts were before Jim Irsay took over. If you don't understand and respect the difference, then I'm guessing you weren't old enough to be a fan during those years. You know not of what you speak.

you are living in a dream world. we are the laughing stock of the nfl. we go 14-0 and quit, and now we plummel to the depth of uselessness. all on one man. we are no better than the bengals, in fact, with the talent we've had, we are worse. all thanks to mr nepotism.

you are living in a dream world. we are the laughing stock of the nfl. we go 14-0 and quit, and now we plummel to the depth of uselessness. all on one man. we are no better than the bengals, in fact, with the talent we've had, we are worse. all thanks to mr nepotism.

More like a nightmare world actually - but whatever it is, it's clearly a different dimension than where you reside. I'll stay here, thanks, and forgo taking the bait. I'm exhausted already just thinking about the likely consequences.

Yeah I simply disagree with you here...you're right, he turned his back on his contract, the fans and his teammates....but he also turned his back on his career and the money. For a player who has already established himself in the league as one of the better players at his position to decide he would rather fore-go the rest of his career than continue in his current situation....I can't imagine that could have been an easy decision.

I'm not saying that what he did was right, just like I don't think it was right of either Elway or Eli to refuse signing with the teams who drafted them, but at the same time I can't say it was entirely wrong either.

OK, here's another way to look at it.

Whether or not you respect him for the decision, whether you think it reflects a character flaw or a sad situation, why would you want him on your team? If he did it once, he could do it again. One of those picks was conditional I believe, but the other is gone. Most football players need to be dragged off the field kicking and screaming despite broken bones and blood spewing everywhere. Palmer just didn't feel like playing anymore. You're going to make "that" the face of your franchise? (And mortgage the future on top of it?) Don't forget my other comments - his play has disappointed people (including myself) for years. Either he is still injured, or he really just didn't care enough to give it his all all those years. Once again, I don't think that those are characteristics of a franchise QB.

OK, here's another way to look at it.

Whether or not you respect him for the decision, whether you think it reflects a character flaw or a sad situation, why would you want him on your team? If he did it once, he could do it again. One of those picks was conditional I believe, but the other is gone. Most football players need to be dragged off the field kicking and screaming despite broken bones and blood spewing everywhere. Palmer just didn't feel like playing anymore. You're going to make "that" the face of your franchise? (And mortgage the future on top of it?) Don't forget my other comments - his play has disappointed people (including myself) for years. Either he is still injured, or he really just didn't care enough to give it his all all those years. Once again, I don't think that those are characteristics of a franchise QB.

Woah now...I never said I wanted to bring him to the Colts. :P I said quite the contrary....no way would I have given up 1 first round pick, let alone potentially 2 for him. And I still think it was much more than he "just didn't feel like playing anymore." I think he was a great fit for the Raiders and I wish him the best. Sometimes a change in scenery can help to rejuvenate one's career. Now if he were to pull the same thing again after a year or 2 with the Raiders then I would agree, it clearly was not an isolated, extreme incident but rather indicates a character flaw and that would significantly change my opinion of him. As it stands now....yeah it wasn't the best decision he could have made but perhaps it was the only decision he felt he could make.

But MAC.... isn't it also true though that Palmer requested a trade from a completely dysfunctional, thug-enabling. ego-centric WR enabling jackwagon of an owner?

I mean, maybe Palmer got tired of seeing headlines of his team mates latest off-field escapades.... key players mind you.... only to watch their thug-coddling, noodle-spined coach and GM take them back with open arms, and then draft/sign more troublemakers to boot.

For a while there, I wondered if Mike Brown was going to sell the stadium naming rights to a bail bondsman.

If I were Palmer and I had to deal with that level of organizational dysfunction.... i may have done the exact same thing. And with 40 or 50 mil in the bank maybe he felt retirement wouldn't have been the worst thing in the world either.

The really, really strange thing about all this is that over the last 15 months or so..... and in the very midst of this Palmer mess.... Mike Brown has had some sort of transformation that has him no longer appearing like the most incompetent GM in the NFL.

His last 2 drafts have indeed been pretty darn good, and the Palmer trade for those Raider draft picks was dang near the equivalent of taking a leak on Al Davis' grave.

Pretty weird... even by Bengals standards.

Woah now...I never said I wanted to bring him to the Colts. :P I said quite the contrary....no way would I have given up 1 first round pick, let alone potentially 2 for him. And I still think it was much more than he "just didn't feel like playing anymore." I think he was a great fit for the Raiders and I wish him the best. Sometimes a change in scenery can help to rejuvenate one's career. Now if he were to pull the same thing again after a year or 2 with the Raiders then I would agree, it clearly was not an isolated, extreme incident but rather indicates a character flaw and that would significantly change my opinion of him. As it stands now....yeah it wasn't the best decision he could have made but perhaps it was the only decision he felt he could make.

Understood.

No, no I knew that you didn't want him on the Colts. I read your earlier response, and I'm well aware of how much you value draft picks (Mr Draft Guru himself :22lol: ). I wouldn't want the deal for the Colts on the basis of the draft picks alone myself. We were talking "my team" from an "everyfan" perspective.

Heh, maybe he has a video game addiction? We will find out soon enough.

First of all anyone who starts a thread called hate to say I told you so doesn't really hate to say that in fact that is exactly why they started the thread to say hey I was right. With that said that doesn't really matter.

I don't think most people were against getting Palmer they just looked at the fact that 1, we couldn't and still can't aford him and 2, he wanted to be a starter and not just Peyton Manning's fill in back up, and 3, we didn't want to give up high draft picks to go get him and understood it wasn't going to happen.