Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

With Howell and Costa, can we actually draft best player available in the draft?

OldSchoolColt

I remember Howell do a fine job at safety last year. This combined with either Costa or Holmes filling in at center, and I think the Colts can actually draft best player available, within reason, during this draft. Only a couple positions were we could not use a nice backup/future starter at. This worked great when we picked up Allen and others in the past because you could not pass on them. It will be sad if we force a safety pick in the second for someone that we could have got in the third. Am I wrong? :thinking:

*In the commissioner's voice*

"The :colts: select...... Johnny Manziel, QB from Texas A&M university"

*Forum Explodes*

:Nuke: :Nuke:

*Colts trade Manziel to Browns for all their draft picks in next year's draft*

:colts:

*Somewhere TKnights silently sips a glass of 1984 Motts Apple Juice and nods his head*

*In the commissioner's voice*

"The :colts: select...... Johnny Manziel, QB from Texas A&M university"

*Forum Explodes*

:Nuke: :Nuke:

*Colts trade Manziel to Browns for all their draft picks in next year's draft*

:colts:

That's funny right there! :thmup:  What if every BPA was a QB when it was the Colts turn to pick? Could the Colts own over 20 picks next year with that philosophy? Draft 5 QB`s and take highest bidder for their services. You're a genius TK!

That's funny right there! :thmup: What if every BPA was a QB when it was the Colts turn to pick? Could the Colts own over 20 picks next year with that philosophy? Draft 5 QB`s and take highest bidder for their services. You're a genius TK!

*Blushes*

Aww stop, you're too kind :yay:

I remember Howell do a fine job at safety last year. This combined with either Costa or Holmes filling in at center, and I think the Colts can actually draft best player available, within reason, during this draft. Only a couple positions were we could not use a nice backup/future starter at. This worked great when we picked up Allen and others in the past because you could not pass on them. It will be sad if we force a safety pick in the second for someone that we could have got in the third. Am I wrong? :thinking:

I'd say we're in a solid enough position that you don't have to reach for a player in a position of need with the first pick.

But then I'd also say that we're not going to take certain positions regardless, I mean we don't need a QB or a TE.

Howell played well when he did play, but he didn't play that often, so it could have been just a good streak for him.  The sample size is too small to make a good judgement on Howell on our part, but the coaches have a better idea since they see him in practice.  I think S is still a big need and I wouldn't mind us bringing in another corner in one of our earlier picks, but I like an OL of Castonzo-Thomas-Holmes-Costa-Cherilus.  In case of injury to Holmes, we move Costa to C and bring in Thornton.  In case of injury to either G, we bring in Thornton.

No, Its really that simple, Just no, Howell did a decent job...at best...Missed several tackles in the open field.........Costa is.......well.....I find it hard to believe Grigson thought he was the best Center available "based on tape" like he said

Is it really BPA if you want to pass on TE, QB?

With T.Y., Reggie, Nicks, Brazil, Rogers and Whalen on board it would seem crazy picking a WR to me, when there are other areas where we look a little thin. So I would hope that WR is also not an option for the BPA.

We only should be drafting BPA for the following positions

-O-line (Everything starts in the trenches)

-D-line (Everything starts in the trenches)

-CB (I don't trust Greg Toler's ability to remain healthy. Good CB, just can't stay healthy)

-Safefy (Laron Landry is much like Bob Sanders, throws his body in wreckless manner)

-OLB (Can never have too many pass rushers/edge setters)

Howell played well when he did play, but he didn't play that often, so it could have been just a good streak for him.  The sample size is too small to make a good judgement on Howell on our part, but the coaches have a better idea since they see him in practice.  I think S is still a big need and I wouldn't mind us bringing in another corner in one of our earlier picks, but I like an OL of Castonzo-Thomas-Holmes-Costa-Cherilus.  In case of injury to Holmes, we move Costa to C and bring in Thornton.  In case of injury to either G, we bring in Thornton.

I was enjoying reading your post....   every word....     right up until your projection for our offensive line and suddenly there was Costa at guard.    And at right guard at that!     And my eyes popped out!     :omg:

Unless he's a spectacular failure, I think we should be expecting Thornton as the starter there and Costa as the back-up to C and guard.

Just a different perspective......

I was enjoying reading your post....   every word....     right up until your projection for our offensive line and suddenly there was Costa at guard.    And at right guard at that!     And my eyes popped out!     :omg:

Unless he's a spectacular failure, I think we should be expecting Thornton as the starter there and Costa as the back-up to C and guard.

Just a different perspective......

Yeah, I can understand that.  I thought Costa played some guard and C in Dallas.  And I believe it was Grigs who recently came out and said we had drafted Holmes to be our C of the future.  So I figured Holmes would play C and Costa would be a guard since Thornton looked really overwhelmed at times during last year, and Costa actually performed decently well in Dallas.  I guess it would be the best 2 out of Costa (G/C), Holmes ©, and Thornton (G) that get the start.  Or do you think Costa doesn't have much of a chance to start?

Yeah, I can understand that.  I thought Costa played some guard and C in Dallas.  And I believe it was Grigs who recently came out and said we had drafted Holmes to be our C of the future.  So I figured Holmes would play C and Costa would be a guard since Thornton looked really overwhelmed at times during last year, and Costa actually performed decently well in Dallas.  I guess it would be the best 2 out of Costa (G/C), Holmes ©, and Thornton (G) that get the start.  Or do you think Costa doesn't have much of a chance to start?

I don't know if Costa has "much of a chance to start"...   I think if he shows well,  then he'll get his shot.

But I think the team wants Holmes and Thornton to start so I think they'll get every opportunity.   Holmes is 15 pounds bigger, and Thornton is 30 pounds bigger.   I think we're committed to being bigger and hopefully stronger.

I think Costa's versatility is a big plus, for him and the team.   If Grigson likes him, then I'll sign on.   One would hope he's an upgrade over what we've seen the past two years in the middle of our OL.    That's been eye-popping too   :omg:   But for all the wrong reasons!

Howell will be fine we need depth on the back end with a couple of extra picks we could set up our back end for the near future in this draft I believe. Starting with Bucannon then get our guy to eventually replace Toler. If Toler could stay healthy he can play I know and if a frog had wings it could fly.

Thorton is going to be fine. He gained some valuable experience and will have another camp. He was overwhelmed at times last year but he was asked to do a lot too. We started like 8 different O Lines in a row. The O Line more than any other group really needs continuity it was amazing our's wasn't even worse last year.

Good draft teams would never reach a round beyond a player's rated value in order to fill a need.  But how would you possibly know that player X the Colts take in round 2 would have been there in the 3rd?

Good draft teams would never reach a round beyond a player's rated value in order to fill a need. 

I disagree. It happens every year. Successful teams are willing to take guy earlier than they should and not risk losing him if he fills a particular need.

I disagree. It happens every year. Successful teams are willing to take guy earlier than they should and not risk losing him if he fills a particular need.

Let's agree that the Colts need a safety in this draft.  Maybe they feel that is their biggest need.  If at pick # 59 the highest rated safety left on their board is at 91, they will absolutely not that safety.  No way.  Nor should they.

Grigson has said previously that he will not take a "just a guy" player to fill a need and drafting a player a full round ahead of their value is drafting a guy.  I absolutely think that is the best philosophy to have. 

I'd be more inclined to follow the model that has shown the most recent success.  One unnamed team had their draft rated as complete failure from top to bottom just a couple of years ago.  They were said to have reached on every pick and that within a couple of years all of those picks would be out of the NFL.  That draft yielded pro bowl players at more than one position, an all pro player and several starters on a dominant team.  Virtually every pick made the team.

The "experts" who follow the convention wisdom said their draft was one of the worst ever.  That draft winded up being a huge home run.  

That management team did things their way and completely defied the conventional wisdom.

I'd be more inclined to follow the model that has shown the most recent success.  One unnamed team had their draft rated as complete failure from top to bottom just a couple of years ago.  They were said to have reached on every pick and that within a couple of years all of those picks would be out of the NFL.  That draft yielded pro bowl players at more than one position, an all pro player and several starters on a dominant team.  Virtually every pick made the team.

The "experts" who follow the convention wisdom said their draft was one of the worst ever.  That draft winded up being a huge home run.  

That management team did things their way and completely defied the conventional wisdom.

You are talking the difference between the Kiper's of the world and a team's board and those are often radically different.  A reach that gives Kiper a fit may be the best player rated on that team's board. 

Follow Andrew Brandt on Twitter.  He is a good read.  Teams spend months and millions on getting their board just right.  A recent point he made was that it is a complete waste of all those resources if you go off schedule, which means they are absolutely not drafting a player a round early to fill a need. 

If for our first pick, we could get a wr that we think would be better than TY, should we get him? If for our first pick, we could get a QB that we think will be a great backup QB  for years to come, should we get him? I just think we are in a good position to "be able to" pick a player we just can not pass on. 

If for our first pick, we could get a wr that we think would be better than TY, should we get him? If for our first pick, we could get a QB that we think will be a great backup QB  for years to come, should we get him? I just think we are in a good position to "be able to" pick a player we just can not pass on. 

Well we definitly should not draft a QB with our first pick

You are talking the difference between the Kiper's of the world and a team's board and those are often radically different.  A reach that gives Kiper a fit may be the best player rated on that team's board. 

Follow Andrew Brandt on Twitter.  He is a good read.  Teams spend months and millions on getting their board just right.  A recent point he made was that it is a complete waste of all those resources if you go off schedule, which means they are absolutely not drafting a player a round early to fill a need. 

We'll see and then we'll evaluate the results a couple of years later.