148 members have voted

1. 1. Who got the better receiver?

• Colts Hakeem nicks
    • redskins desean jackson

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear you, I just disagree. In a vacuum, assuming both are healthy, I'd rather have Nicks. Like I originally said, I prefer the technically proficient guy to the speedster, and I think Nicks has better hands, runs better routes, and will produce no matter who is covering him. I disagree that he doesn't draw double teams or that he can't beat you over the top; he's done both in his career. He's not as fast as Jackson, but that doesn't make him a plodder. And his technical attributes make him potentially better on third down, in the red zone, and in the playoffs in bad weather.

I have no problem with your viewpoint, even though I disagree. I just don't want to be labeled as a homer, have it suggested that the only reason I prefer Nicks is because he's ours, etc. Not that you did so, but others have, and that's not the case. If you dug through the archives, you'd see me arguing that Jackson was overpaid when he got his new contract, that he's a one-note receiver (he's gotten better since then, but he's still not as complete a player as Nicks, IMO), etc. I'm always more partial to the technically proficient receivers than the speedsters. You throw in more size, and it's extra credit.

Go back to 2009, and I was laughing at the Raiders for taking DHB over Crabtree. I preferred Reggie Wayne to Pierre Garcon in 2012. I give Decker more credit than most people (though his hands are inconsistent). I'm not a big Percy Harvin fan, not for the money he just got. There are many other examples. Perhaps it's just my preference, and maybe personnel guys would disagree -- "you can't teach speed," and other such one-liners often prevail -- but I'm partial to technique over speed, just so long as the guy doesn't run like he's stuck in the mud.

Oh I'm not suggesting everyone is a homer...but I think there are a lot of that in this thread. Some people like yourself honestly feel that way and have a lot of reasons for it. I 100% understand your reasons I just can't say I agree with you in this scenerio. I look at the two players as they are today and I just have a hard time picking Nicks EVER when comparing the two. Also, while this doesn't mean 100% Jackson is better but the attention he got from other teams the moment he was released and for trades was very very high and intense. Nicks had some interest but he wasn't going to get a multi-year deal with the money that Jackson got. He just isn't that level of a player (today). If he was to hit his potential its very high...and I think Jackson HAS maxed out his...and even though Jackson is older I still feel he is the better player. I think he has fine hands and runs fine routes but that isn't what he has been used for...and honestly why would you...his best ability is his speed down the field and also on those quick screens...which benefits any team that has him greatly. Role your corner up he beats you deep, put a safety over the top it opens up the field, play off he gets 10yd screens all day and even breaks some big runs. I know Nicks can do a lot...he has a ton of potential and I hope he lives up to it...I love the signing...just comparing one to one...I can't pick Nicks. It's ok we don't agree....because we both value things differently...its a good discussion.

Actually Cruz benefited greatly from nicks. Nicks also has nice post season stats. I agree that speed kills but possession receivers are dangerous to. Look at Bolden during ravens sb run.

Uhh I could be wrong because I didn't watch ALL their games but I watch a lot of games and I saw an awful lot of safety help over the top of Cruz the last few years but that could be because of Nicks health i can't say for sure. Of course when they were all healthy it was a deadly core of receivers. I'm hoping for a healthy and motivated Nicks...I think he can be dangerous.

Both are good n different ways, but who is better?

This is a silly thread. Of course Jackson is by far the better receiver and he hasn't been hurt. I like getting Nicks on the cheap for one year but we got him for that because other teams would not offer more money. He gets one year to play himself into a bigger contract with someone. Jackson is ready right now and he will play great and his numbers will be much better than Nicks'.

Can we vote after this season is over? If Nicks has a 11 td season again and this time as a Colt there would be no doubt Colts got the better receiver. Especially with his one year contract deal.They are both really good receivers, but we wont know which team got the better one until after this season is over. Im hoping Colts did. :goodluck:  Colts have two offensive weapons that really need to prove themselves this year for their NFL careers to thrive (IMO) Trich and Nicks. So if i had to guess on who got the better receiver, Colts did...

After reading responses I took a look at the facts/stats. Nicks is 6-0 210, so more physical. He averages 14 games per season .  Per 16 game season he averages:71 catches 1,054 yds and 14.8 yp reception, 6 TDs.

Jackson is 5-10 178, less physical but much more explosive. He also averages 14 games per season. Per 16 game season he averages: 68 catches, 1,162 yds and 17.2 yp reception and 6 TDs.

Nicks is more physical while Jackson is much more explosive. Both play the same amount of games per season, so neither is more injured. Catches per season are similar, as are TDs. Nicks has been catching balls from an eratic Eli Manning and Jackson has been catching passes from an eratic group of QBs as well.

In summary, it boils down to if you want a little more physical or a lot more explosive. I would go for the a lot more explosive...until you weigh the attitude and affect on the team. While Nicks plays hard when he wants to he doesn't seem to be as self-centered as Jackson and detremental to the locker room. Plus figuring in the price tag, it at least makes you think long and hard on which one to have on your team.

It's a lot closer choice than I even thought.

After reading responses I took a look at the facts/stats. Nicks is 6-0 210, so more physical. He averages 14 games per season .  Per 16 game season he averages:71 catches 1,054 yds and 14.8 yp reception, 6 TDs.

Jackson is 5-10 178, less physical but much more explosive. He also averages 14 games per season. Per 16 game season he averages: 68 catches, 1,162 yds and 17.2 yp reception and 6 TDs.

Nicks is more physical while Jackson is much more explosive. Both play the same amount of games per season, so neither is more injured. Catches per season are similar, as are TDs. Nicks has been catching balls from an eratic Eli Manning and Jackson has been catching passes from an eratic group of QBs as well.

In summary, it boils down to if you want a little more physical or a lot more explosive. I would go for the a lot more explosive...until you weigh the attitude and affect on the team. While Nicks plays hard when he wants to he doesn't seem to be as self-centered as Jackson and detremental to the locker room. Plus figuring in the price tag, it at least makes you think long and hard on which one to have on your team.

It's a lot closer choice than I even thought.

Good thoughts, and like others have said...we have TY as our 'a lot more explosive.'  Nicks should really help.  I cannot wait until camp.

djax is definitely a better individual playmaker. but if it is at the cost of making the rest of the team worse and creating bad chemistry off the field, i'd rather take nicks' proven consistency

This, its just a matter of how big of a distraction Jackson will be. Make no mistake though, DJax is a hell of a player

You have to take the systems into account when comparing the two. Last year with philly running that crazy high tempo offense, they were able to set up a lot of deep passes to DJax  when teams were caught off guard. He was also very dangerous with dump off passes. with that offense, DJax is the better choice. If you are looking at a power running ball control type offense, that changes. Nicks runs a more complete route tree and is much better catching the ball in traffic. He is useful in blocking as well. For the colts, Nicks is the better receiver. For Eagles, DJax. Nobody knows what Redskins offense will be next year so who knows there.