Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chad72 Mock Draft for Colts (no trades, nothing flashy)

Pick No.59: Weston Richburg, C, Colorado State, 6'3", 300 lbs - outstanding technician, uses good angles and body positioning to ward off bigger defenders, sustains blocks in run game

Pick No.90: Kenny Ladler, FS, Vanderbilt, 6'0", 207 lbs, 4.6 - first team all SEC, Vanderbilt had best secondary in FBS and he was a big reason, good ball skills and alert in coverage, reliable open field tackler, can lay the big hit every now and then, plays faster than timed

Pick No.166: Preston Brown, ILB, Louisville, 6'2", 255 lbs, 4.8  - good strength and explosion, sheds blocks well in run D, takes good angles, a tad low on instincts but keeps plays in front of him in coverage

Pick No.203: Walt Aikens, CB, Liberty, 6'1", 205, 4.6  - lacks elite top end speed but can be coached to use his size to recover, will be a year or two away but has the base talent to be coached up

Pick No.232: Quincy Enunwa, WR, Nebraska, 6'2", 225, 4.45 - Very underrated wideout from the Big 10 but he is a very willing & good blocker, plus good pass catcher, not to mention good red zone threat

Reaching for need

I went based on ability. We can talk after the draft and see if Richburg is there in round 3 after the draft. You will find out I was not reaching. Ladler, his 40 speed has undermined him in several folks' eyes but I feel his ability is better than his grade.

Besides, go and look at Bill Polian's drafts over the years and tell me how many years he reached. Almost every draft of his with a player or two. I personally never mind anyone reaching (here in the mock drafts) if they feel they got an impact player.

Besides, you never see eye-to-eye with me on most occasions anyway, so I am not surprised :).

I went based on ability. We can talk after the draft and see if Richburg is there in round 3 after the draft. You will find out I was not reaching. Ladler, his 40 speed has undermined him in several folks' eyes but I feel his ability is better than his grade.

Besides, go and look at Bill Polian's drafts over the years and tell me how many years he reached. Almost every draft of his with a player or two. I personally never mind anyone reaching if they feel they got an impact player.

Besides, you never see eye-to-eye with me on most occasions anyway, so I am not surprised :).

I will make an avatar bet right now that Richburg doesn't go in the 2nd round

I will make an avatar bet right now that Richburg doesn't go in the 2nd round

Fine, just stick to forum rules and I will be OK with it!!! I am a good sport. :)

Just PM me, we can discuss. The bet is if Richburg will go before round 3 or not, right?

Besides, go and look at Bill Polian's drafts over the years and tell me how many years he reached. Almost every draft of his with a player or two. I personally never mind anyone reaching (here in the mock drafts) if they feel they got an impact player.

I don't see why we'd draft a center at #59. Let's say Attaochu, Matthews, Mewhort, B. Thomas and T. Brooks are there. Would you take Richburg over any of them? I sure wouldn't.

And I definitely think taking Ladler at #90 is overdrafting.  This is why I would trade down. I wouldn't mind having Ladler, but not having a 4th pretty much means we don't have a shot at him. But before taking him, I'd take Anthony Johnson, Keith McGill, Joel Bitonio, Demarcus Lawrence, etc. 

I like Preston Brown. He's moved up significantly in the last month.

Still over a month til the draft... We might go crazy, Chad. 

I can't see drafting a C or G before the 5th round.  Devoting a 2 or a 3 to the positions says that they already think Thornton and Holmes wont cut it.  And there is no guarantee that a 2 or 3 C or G drafted this year will do any better than them.  Its wasting a pick IMO.

The team needs more pass rushers and safety depth.  There has to be good value at pass rusher/OLB this at 59 this year, just looking at the number of quality players offered by the pundits.  

Find a OLB at 59 and I like the draft, although there may still be a better safety at 90 than Ladler.

I don't see why we'd draft a center at #59. Let's say Attaochu, Matthews, Mewhort, B. Thomas and T. Brooks are there. Would you take Richburg over any of them? I sure wouldn't.

And I definitely think taking Ladler at #90 is overdrafting.  This is why I would trade down. I wouldn't mind having Ladler, but not having a 4th pretty much means we don't have a shot at him. But before taking him, I'd take Anthony Johnson, Keith McGill, Joel Bitonio, Demarcus Lawrence, etc. 

I like Preston Brown. He's moved up significantly in the last month.

Still over a month til the draft... We might go crazy, Chad. 

Six picks before the 4th round for a 4th round graded safety is not as much overdrafting to me as it may be for a lot of us. But there is a good chance he won't be there past the 4th like you said, and he is one of those few safeties that I think can contribute faster at the next level than others graded around that range but that is just my opinion.

Center - I did ponder about that but I just feel that this staff might give up on Khaled Holmes quicker than we think they will and if he is BPA, he might be one of the first centers off the board:

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2014/01/detroit_lions_weston_richburg.html

http://fansided.com/2014/01/27/nfl-draft-rumors-colorado-state-c-weston-richburgs-stock-rising-quickly/#!BnEVp

Everything I am reading about him is leading me to believe he might be the first center off the board.

But, as always, I appreciate people giving their viewpoints, that is what this forum is for.

Six picks before the 4th round for a 4th round graded safety is not as much overdrafting to me as it may be for a lot of us. But there is a good chance he won't be there past the 4th like you said, and he is one of those few safeties that I think can contribute faster at the next level than others graded around that range but that is just my opinion.

Center - I did ponder about that but I just feel that this staff might give up on Khaled Holmes quicker than we think they will and if he is BPA, he might be one of the first centers off the board:

http://fansided.com/2014/01/27/nfl-draft-rumors-colorado-state-c-weston-richburgs-stock-rising-quickly/#!BnEVp

Everything I am reading about him is leading me to believe he might be the first center off the board.

But, as always, I appreciate people giving their viewpoints, that is what this forum is for.

About Ladler, I think he's more of a late 4th / early 5th kind of guy, than an early 4th. So I think taking him at #90 is a full round early. If you want him -- really want him -- and think he can compete for a starting spot right away, I can see reaching for him. But it's definitely a reach. Sometimes, reaching works; it did for the Cowboys with Frederick last year. But I bet if we had a 4th, you'd be mocking Ladler to us in the 4th instead of the 3rd.

At center, Grigson and Pagano have had nothing but good things to say about Holmes this offseason. Not signing a veteran center is a huge vote of confidence. Pagano just said some nice things about him today. So I don't think that they'll be giving up on him before he gets a chance in camp this year. 

Specifically on Richburg, he might move up ahead of Martin. Swanson is in the mix as well. Going back to Frederick, he was considered a late second rounder, and he got drafted at #31 by a needy team. The Ravens might make center a top priority and take one at #48. The Niners might get crazy and take one at #30; all they have right now is Daniel Kilgore, a 2011 5th rounder. I don't know where Richburg might go, but I don't see us drafting him at #59.

If we take a lineman at #59, I would bet it would be someone who can play LT, as contingency in case we don't keep Castonzo. Antonio Richardson or Billy Turner would be more in line with what we need.

And as always, this is just my opinion.

Seems like there are people who still haven't accepted that Costa and Holmes is who we are rolling with at Center. I mocked Richburg to us early in the 2nd too but after I read the article where Grigson said Center is going to be an open competition, I got over it. Time to move on. If anything, if Richburg is still on the board in the round we think he is going to go and it's our pick, we should hold that pick ransom and use it to bite teams with a need for Center into trading up and giving us extra picks.

And I agree with with Blood, Ladler is a reach for need that early. The draft might just come down to BPA on defense each round.

reaching when there is no need to Howell is the S bring in competition sure Costa the C I  think we are in a pretty good position to take the best player available. We do not need to draft another C Holmes and Costa will battle it out probably bring in an UD guy too. Sooner or later the guys we have have to play

reaching when there is no need to Howell is the S bring in competition sure Costa the C I  think we are in a pretty good position to take the best player available. We do not need to draft another C Holmes and Costa will battle it out probably bring in an UD guy too. Sooner or later the guys we have have to play

I think you are spot on.If we was going to get a safety or center ( Costa) we would of have done so by now.I think Grigs goes BPA the whole draft minus a QB or TE

I think following the best player available model we will draft Pierre Desir or Attaochu in the second round. Cyril Richardson in the third. It has been shown time and again you don't need a high draft pick at C. Satele sucked but it wasn't just him it was all three position of the interior O Line. I could see us taking O Line with the second pick if Yankey some how falls into our laps.  Getting Allen back will help the running game a lot.

I think Grigs did what he set out to accomplish we are in position to take the best player on our board for our team and NOT have to reach for a need.

Not in love with the idea of getting WR unless some how Matthews falls particularly early  would like to see what Rogers and Brazil can do both have big upside in my mind. I think our skill positions are good to go. 

We can't go sign FA at every positions it is not how good football teams operate they build from within with guys that they have that have been in their system. Howell knows the system Grigs seems comfortable with it.

There is still going to be a lot of movement into June.

Every year, real GM's prove that the concept of "reaching" is more myth, than reality.  There are a lot of variables and your job is to get a player that can become a long term piece of your puzzle - one that you believe in.  Reaching is, essentially, picking a player ahead of the ghost called prognostication.  Maybe he would have been there a round later, or maybe not.  Maybe there are 30 players better than he is and maybe he becomes an All-Pro.  You trust your analysis and best guesses about how he falls on other boards and you pick the player you think will be the best player as you'll play him.

I've said many times that I don't study draft prospects in any meaningful way, so I won't represent that I do now.  In concept, C, QB, and RB are probably 3 positions we can be relatively certain not to be drafted at 59.  If we draft an O-lineman at 2 or 3, I'd expect it to be a Tackle prospect or a player like Bitonio that projects versatility as an overall building block. I think it would be very hard for Grigs to differentiate any center in this class as having greater future value than the one he already has.

Other than that, I don't see how anyone could call Ladler a reach @ 90 when Belichek drafted Duron Harmon in the 3rd and Tavon Wilson in the 2nd in back to back years.  I'd have called both of those picks a surprise, but I don't know how to call them a reach.

Beyond that, I don't really care what players or positions that a GM drafts in rd 5,6,7 as long as he thinks they have chance to become a piece of the puzzle with some development, and there is a realistic place to develop them on the roster or Psquad.

71: Trade to Vikings for their 3rd vie sea hawks and 4th and 5th

83: Trade back for 88 pick from bengals and get their 4th

Our 5th, sixth and seventh

86: Daquan Jones DT

88: Martavis Bryant WR

90: Dakota Dozier G

96: Louchiez Purifoy CB

108: Ed Reynolds FS

122: Christian Jones ILB

123: Jordan Tripp OLB

148: Look at 209

232: 5th and this pick for eagles 4th

This is an unbelieveable amount of trading ik but I can't see us improving otherwise.

Pick No.59: Weston Richburg, C, Colorado State, 6'3", 300 lbs - outstanding technician, uses good angles and body positioning to ward off bigger defenders, sustains blocks in run game

Pick No.90: Kenny Ladler, FS, Vanderbilt, 6'0", 207 lbs, 4.6 - first team all SEC, Vanderbilt had best secondary in FBS and he was a big reason, good ball skills and alert in coverage, reliable open field tackler, can lay the big hit every now and then, plays faster than timed

Pick No.166: Preston Brown, ILB, Louisville, 6'2", 255 lbs, 4.8  - good strength and explosion, sheds blocks well in run D, takes good angles, a tad low on instincts but keeps plays in front of him in coverage

Pick No.203: Walt Aikens, CB, Liberty, 6'1", 205, 4.6  - lacks elite top end speed but can be coached to use his size to recover, will be a year or two away but has the base talent to be coached up

Pick No.232: Quincy Enunwa, WR, Nebraska, 6'2", 225, 4.45 - Very underrated wideout from the Big 10 but he is a very willing & good blocker, plus good pass catcher, not to mention good red zone threat

Richburg - We've got two youngsters that management is high on (Holmes and Austin) and two veteran options (Thomas and Costa).  We don't need a third developmental guy.  OG depth is a huge need, but we've already made our bets at center.

Ladler - Ran a 4.70 forty at the Combine.  Speed doesn't mean everything, but the lack of it should mean that there are better options in the 3rd round.

ILB - Not a need, IMO.  Starters Freeman and Jackson.  #3 & 4: McNary and Muamba.  For some reason still on the team: Sheppard.

Aikens - Kicked of the U of Illinois team for theft.

Late WR - maybe...but I feel much better about WR depth than I do NT, Safety (I'd take more than one in the draft), RB, and OL.

Other than that, I loved your mock!  No disrespect meant, but I'm pretty opposed to some of your priorities and players...

88: Martavis Bryant WR

This is an unbelieveable amount of trading ik but I can't see us improving otherwise.

4 or 5 of those players wouldn't even make the 53 roster, all that trading back did was cause competition for the practice squad

Every year, real GM's prove that the concept of "reaching" is more myth, than reality.  There are a lot of variables and your job is to get a player that can become a long term piece of your puzzle - one that you believe in.  Reaching is, essentially, picking a player ahead of the ghost called prognostication.  Maybe he would have been there a round later, or maybe not.  Maybe there are 30 players better than he is and maybe he becomes an All-Pro.  You trust your analysis and best guesses about how he falls on other boards and you pick the player you think will be the best player as you'll play him.

I've said many times that I don't study draft prospects in any meaningful way, so I won't represent that I do now.  In concept, C, QB, and RB are probably 3 positions we can be relatively certain not to be drafted at 59.  If we draft an O-lineman at 2 or 3, I'd expect it to be a Tackle prospect or a player like Bitonio that projects versatility as an overall building block. I think it would be very hard for Grigs to differentiate any center in this class as having greater future value than the one he already has.

Other than that, I don't see how anyone could call Ladler a reach @ 90 when Belichek drafted Duron Harmon in the 3rd and Tavon Wilson in the 2nd in back to back years.  I'd have called both of those picks a surprise, but I don't know how to call them a reach.

Beyond that, I don't really care what players or positions that a GM drafts in rd 5,6,7 as long as he thinks they have chance to become a piece of the puzzle with some development, and there is a realistic place to develop them on the roster or Psquad.

This bolded part, I agree.

I will present to you Marlin Jackson's scouting profile: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=54168&draftyear=2005&genpos=CB

Then Kelvin Hayden's: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=54052&draftyear=2005&genpos=CB

Then Pat Angerer's: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=56670&draftyear=2010&genpos=ILB

Over the years, lots of GMs make lots of reaches. I have just listed some of Polian's "perceived" reaches. System fit and ability all are factored in while making picks. That is why I still do not think Ladler at 90 is a reach.

But I definitely understand why most of you feel that way.

Richburg - We've got two youngsters that management is high on (Holmes and Austin) and two veteran options (Thomas and Costa).  We don't need a third developmental guy.  OG depth is a huge need, but we've already made our bets at center.

Ladler - Ran a 4.70 forty at the Combine.  Speed doesn't mean everything, but the lack of it should mean that there are better options in the 3rd round.

ILB - Not a need, IMO.  Starters Freeman and Jackson.  #3 & 4: McNary and Muamba.  For some reason still on the team: Sheppard.

Aikens - Kicked of the U of Illinois team for theft.

Late WR - maybe...but I feel much better about WR depth than I do NT, Safety (I'd take more than one in the draft), RB, and OL.

Other than that, I loved your mock!  No disrespect meant, but I'm pretty opposed to some of your priorities and players...

None taken. I like it when forum posters explain their stance than just give me a one liner.

Why does everyone want a WR? We have 87 Nicks Hilton Da'Rick Brazil and Whalen. Whalen is what he is a decent back up WR that proved he can be productive when needed.  The other two I see a lot of potential in and typically it is the third yr. that WR make the big jump if they have it in them. We can't hide Rogers or Brazil on the practice squad. I 'd really like to see what we could potentially have in those 2 guys. Rogers has the pedigree to be a big time player. He hasn't even been threw a full camp with us yet.  I just can't see any possible reason for taking a WR unless Matthews falls into our laps.

I see the WR as a position we are looking strong at. We should capitalize on the fact that this draft is so WR heavy to build the D and add to the O Line as those players fall back while everyone looks for the next TY Hilton. That is without talking about Allen and Fleener and at risk of 100 negative post Richardson ability to catch the ball out of the backfield which was grossly underused this past year.  I just really don't see offensive skill positions as an area that needs much upgrading at this point.

Cyril Richardson of Baylor described as a road-grader day one starter for a power scheme 6'5" 239 in the third  plays G can play RT as well

Connor Boffelia from Iowa can play all 3 interior positions will probably go undrafted wouldn't kill me to see us take him in the 7th just to make sure. He is a good football player.

88: Martavis Bryant WR

Louichiez Purifoy - no thanks.  He's projected as a 3rd rounder, but only because of his physical skill set.  He'll go before the 5th I think, but I'm not touching the dude before then, and I would probably wait until the 6th.  He is at least a year away from seeing any substantial playing time, he's not very physical at the LOS in press man, not a great tackler, gets burned quite often, and my biggest problem - poor instincts and technique.  He didn't look good at the combine, and he didn't do anything to alleviate that impression at his pro day - if aything he confirmed the impressions at the combine.

There ars plenty of examples where teams reach for positions of need...especially at the quarterback position. Reaching for a position is different than trusting your evaluations vs "expert" opinion. Drafting Dwight Freeney #11 is trusting your evaluation.....drafting Christian Ponder #12 was a reach.

And honestly, I don't think gm's do nearly as much reaching as people on this forum who often just slot the best available player at the position of most need.

There ars plenty of examples where teams reach for positions of need...especially at the quarterback position. Reaching for a position is different than trusting your evaluations vs "expert" opinion. Drafting Dwight Freeney #11 is trusting your evaluation.....drafting Christian Ponder #12 was a reach.

And honestly, I don't think gm's do nearly as much reaching as people on this forum who often just slot the best available player at the position of most need.

Well, to be fair, there's an awfully fine line between trusting your evaluation and reaching, and sometimes, teh only difference between the two is dependent on hindsight.

Well, to be fair, there's an awfully fine line between trusting your evaluation and reaching, and sometimes, teh only difference between the two is dependent on hindsight.

The difference is usually my opinion of the prospect lol

I would be fine with the Richburg pick. I would imagine the loser of the center battle between him and Holmes could compete at guard.

I really like the Aikens pick. He really could have a year of seasoning before being counted upon more heavily in 2015 given that Butler is in the last year of his contract this year. I actually read somewhere that he ran in the 4.4s at his pro day so he may have more speed than you realize.

I would hate to reach for a safety in any round though, particularly the 3rd. Cody Latimer from IU is growing on me as a 3rd rounder, and if Adrian Hubbard from Alabama were available, I would give him a look in the 3rd.

We are not taking a C. Our C is Costa Holmes or a surprise like Goodwin.

Why is everyone drafting a WR most teams carrying 6 on 53 man roster and only dress 5 unless one is a special teams dynmo. We can't hide Brazil Rogers or Whalen on the practice squad. I know Whalen is a dime a dozen but has chemistry/experience with Luck.

Our WR's

Wayne, Hilton, Nicks, Rogers, Brazil, Whalen. To me drafting a WR says we are giving up on Brazil and/or Rogers I am not ready to do that. They both showed flashes and I think Rogers could really be something. 

If Matthews falls in our lap we have no choice unless someone will trade back but depth of the draft will make trading back difficult. I think our Offense is set at skill positions with young players with lots of upside. There is need for upgrading the interior of the O-Line. I think Dozier and or Cyril Richardson will do that. Then the kid from Iowa Boffeli who will go undrafted plays all 3 interior positions. He will play for someone in the league. 

Just because the draft is loaded at WR doesn't mean we have to take one. Hell Mel Kiper has TJ Jones going undrafted you want a steal there you go.